PDA

View Full Version : "old" clubs vs New game improvement irons

ar3nbe
17th May 2016, 09:27 AM
I picked up the clubs after a 6+ year break over the weekend and had a great time, so good infact that I will head out more often.

I have a 15+ year old set of Prosimmon irons that I used. What sort of improvement in consistency could I see if I were to go out and purchase a new set of game improvement irons, say something along the lines of the Cobra Fly-z or Ping G30s? Have clubs taken a significant step forward over the past 15 years?

Hatchman
17th May 2016, 12:19 PM
There are plenty that will say yes but I will say no significant step forward unless your old ones are a very poor match for you (e.g. ladies or seniors shafts where you should be stiff or x-stiff)

Monty85
27th May 2016, 10:43 AM
If you go an get fitted for a new set you may see some improvement, but its hard to say. Having new clubs might also inspire you to play more as well which is only a good thing. But for me, changing from blades to more game improvement clubs did make quite a big improvement to my game....

oldracer
27th May 2016, 11:49 AM
If you go an get fitted for a new set you may see some improvement, but its hard to say. Having new clubs might also inspire you to play more as well which is only a good thing. But for me, changing from blades to more game improvement clubs did make quite a big improvement to my game....but do you get the same "buzz" from a pured shot with your new bats as you did with your blades?????

Monty85
27th May 2016, 12:29 PM
but do you get the same "buzz" from a pured shot with your new bats as you did with your blades?????

Haha, no of course not. Nothing will beat the feeling of a flushed 3 iron blade.

But I still think i'll take the 5 shot drop in handicap over that :razz:

Hatchman
27th May 2016, 12:37 PM
Haha, no of course not. Nothing will beat the feeling of a flushed 3 iron blade.

But I still think i'll take the 5 shot drop in handicap over that :razz:

Describe exactly how changing from blades to GI's resulted in a 5 shot drop?

Yossarian
27th May 2016, 01:07 PM
I imagine it will be. Bought GI irons. Dropped cap by 5 strokes.

Dotty
27th May 2016, 01:19 PM
Probably a lot of ... 'Slightly mishit and still made par' versus 'slightly mishit and scrambled a bogey'.

Monty85
30th May 2016, 08:24 AM
Describe exactly how changing from blades to GI's resulted in a 5 shot drop?

I probably wouldn't call my set a true GI club (Mizuno JPX850) but they are certainly far more in that direction than the Titleist MB's I was using.

The biggest difference between the two is the obvious one. I can mishit the 850's (like not even hit grooves) and still get it somewhere within the general area I was aiming. With the MB's a shot right off the toe (missing grooves) would be a weak hook that goes nowhere.

I used to tell myself that I could shape the ball better with blades. But that is a bit of nonsense. I can move the ball left and right just as easily as i could before.