PDA

View Full Version : Week commencing May 15th

Bruce
16th May 2006, 02:56 PM
So I get to go first.

Played the IBM corporate day at Kingston Heath. Perfect weather. Perfect course.

4 man ambrose where we shot 4 under of the stick to finish third. 0.125 behind first and lost second on a countback.

Just did not want the day to end. Sun was shining. KH is everything you've heard and maybe more. Just an amazing day.

Now I need to clean the clubs and do some washing as I am getting on the bus first thing in the morning for the cricket club's golf trip to Tocumwal. This will see me finish with 7.5 rounds in 14 days. I am living the life :D.

jimandr
16th May 2006, 08:08 PM
Carnarvon is no Kingston Heath, but it suits my game, so my 35 points score, playing with Matt3jab, Coffs and Jono contains a tale of woe.

I played the first 13 holes in 1 over, and the last 5 in 7 over. Drove the ball beautifully and putted well. When those two go together, a good score results, and only some careless choking play at the end cost me a good score.

Fairways = 10 of 14
Greens in Reg = 10 of 18
Putts = 32, one three putt, one birdie
Up & Down = 3 of 7
2 penalties.

Matt 3 Jab
16th May 2006, 08:12 PM
Played carnarvon today with coffs hacker (craig), jono and jim.
It was a good day, but the golf wasent super hot, especially the driver for the first 14 holes, until i worked out how to hit it, nice and slow tempo= big drives!
had 31 points with a silly wipe on the last, the way i played, 31 points was good, new putter went well. Driver in the bag, until it playes up again.
Stats:
Effective Tee Shots:3 :(
Greens:9, better than i thought???
Putts: 31 with 2 wipes so didnt putt then, but putter went well i thought??

Grunt
17th May 2006, 05:15 PM
Well I went out this morning at the last minute and got a game @ Bexley. Played pretty well for 38 points with a wipe:? .
Actually played smart golf for most of the day, only missed 3 fairways all day:-D the 3 I missed I missed into the treeline only to take my medicine chip out and walk away with points (1 or 2).
The wipe was on the 9th where I hit my 2nd through the green (overclubbed) and had an unplayable against a tree. these things happen.

29 putts :shock:
1 Birdie :-D
5 pars :-D
9 Bogies :?
2 Doubles :?
1 Triple :cry:

Only bummer was I won't lose a shot as the CCR was 2 under :?. I thought this would have been hte game to get me out of C grade. Oh well there is always tomorrow.

Flowergirl
17th May 2006, 05:33 PM
Wednesday Comp today. Had a very nice 39 points - lost the comp on a countback. Played a bit up and down - I had 4 1 pointers, 9 2 pointers and 5 three pointers - no wipes:-D Didn't really play great but I kept out of trouble ( except for the backwards chip I had to play from behind a tree but we won't talk about that. :oops:
Finally broke my handicap.....yea......so happy about that I'm going to give it it's own thread.:-D

cazandpaul
18th May 2006, 05:03 AM
Stroke round off the blues - 93 net 79 - my swing needs some serious work and this round has convinced me to commit to a practice and lesson regime.

An example of the type of round it was - 6th hole 3, 7th hole 9, 8th hole 2, 9th hole 7.

This is too frustrating and can't go on.

Virgal_Tracy
18th May 2006, 09:01 AM
Wednesday Comp today. Had a very nice 39 points - lost the comp on a countback. Played a bit up and down - I had 4 1 pointers, 9 2 pointers and 5 three pointers - no wipes:-D Didn't really play great but I kept out of trouble ( except for the backwards chip I had to play from behind a tree but we won't talk about that. :oops:
Finally broke my handicap.....yea......so happy about that I'm going to give it it's own thread.:-D

Sorry reenie but my math must be really bad because I only get that adding up to 37 points. It looks like you have dudded yourself somewhere.

Congrats on the 18 h'cap.

Grunt
18th May 2006, 05:27 PM
Played Camden this Morning/Late Afternoon. Don't even know what I ended up getting, around 27-32 points I think. I rushed off the 18th green after signing my card to go get Tayla from Childcare. It was the slowest round I have ever played in, 5 and a 1/2 hours in a group of 5:shock: . I rang the club this morning hoping to squeeze in a round. They said get here by 10:30 and you will be right. I get there, they tell me that I won't "Tee off until 11:15, is that ok". I thought no problem after I pay I go and practice my putting, I later get called into the shop and the staff tell me I am now playing in a group of 5.

Enough of that rant I could have walked away then and there.

So I tee off and hit the greatest Draw I have ever hit in my life:? . Only thing was I was accounting for my slice and hit it into the rough on the left hand side of the course. I play a good second shot with a draw too miss the green left. I think to myself "what is happening?" I walk away with par.

Next tee, I go back a club to play safe off the tee on a short par 4, with a bit of trouble left and no much out to the right. I hit my 2i-Wood 220m with a draw :-o to clip the trees on the left of the fairway. That was the trend for the day, it was like I was a totally diferent player.

I have never played so much golf on the left hand side of a course. I did not hit a slice all day:mrgreen: and I only hit half a dozen with a fade :shock: . I was lost I couldn't make myself aim straight down the middle, but I can work on it. If I can hit the ball like I did today I am going to give this handicap a real big nudge. Just have to get used to the fact that the ball goes left instead of right.

I know the score will not show it but it was one of my best ballstriking days ever.

PRC
18th May 2006, 09:08 PM
Stroke at Keperra. Started on the 10th, thought I'd take a 3i for safety and hit it straight into the drink. Atrocious back 9 saw me card 14 over, including a 7 on a par 3 :-( Can't recall playing worse.

Start of the front 9 I thought 'let's start again' and shot 2 over. Which one is the real me? I don't know. Anyone looking at my card must have thought it bizarre.

Flowergirl
18th May 2006, 11:26 PM
Played in the Mornington Bowl today. Wow - that is one tough course:shock: There were 81 players - handicaps ranged from 7 - 27 from clubs all over Victoria. Only six players ( two of them Mornington members) had over 30 points -and the conditions were perfect!!

A long course - not one flat fairway - little pimple greens that nothing will stick on. Tough going.

I had 27 points which I was pretty miffed about - but compared to what else was scored - hey - I played well:shock:

Did win a lovely NTP.:-D

Iain
19th May 2006, 03:04 PM
Played Nudgee this morning. 4 Ball Stableford, the old man and I had 48 points. Played really well, except for the 4th when I sent a ball onto the Gateway!!! :oops::oops: Putted really well, had 31 putt's with 4 3 jacks, and I only had them because it was a 4 ball.....:? Sunk about 4-5 good 10-12 footer's and my distance control was good on the long putts.

If only it wasn't a 4 ball, as I had 41 point's on my own with 1 wash!!! :smt087

Iain

Flowergirl
19th May 2006, 03:47 PM
Played Nudgee this morning. 4 Ball Stableford, the old man and I had 48 points. Played really well, except for the 4th when I sent a ball onto the Gateway!!! :oops::oops: Putted really well, had 31 putt's with 4 3 jacks, and I only had them because it was a 4 ball.....:? Sunk about 4-5 good 10-12 footer's and my distance control was good on the long putts.

If only it wasn't a 4 ball, as I had 41 point's on my own with 1 wash!!! :smt087

Iain

Nice going there Iain. Was 48 points enough to win the day? Wish I could sink those longer putts. But am getting better. :)

Iain
19th May 2006, 03:53 PM
Nice going there Iain. Was 48 points enough to win the day? Wish I could sink those longer putts. But am getting better. :)

Thanks Reenie. Not sure yet, I think there's a few dodgy old fella's at Nudgee that come out when the 4ball comps come up. Heard something about a 51 point's, not sure if it was today or not!!!

Thanks, it's just been the past week my touch has improved. A small adjustment in putting has helped tremendously. :mrgreen:

Flowergirl
19th May 2006, 04:46 PM
I played nine holes under lights at Emmy on Wednesday.
41 shots and 4 stubbies....life is good.

Good to hear. :)

Iain.tell me more about this "small" adjustment to your putting - or should I say Dr. Iain. :)

Iain
19th May 2006, 05:02 PM
Iain.tell me more about this "small" adjustment to your putting - or should I say Dr. Iain. :)

It was just having a small forward press before stroking the putt, the stroke then felt a lot smoother, distance control was excellent and I started it on the line I wanted better.

Flowergirl
19th May 2006, 05:32 PM
I'll give it a try....thanks :)

Jarro
19th May 2006, 05:36 PM
social round at Redcliffe today with 3 of my p i s s h e a d mates 8)

81 off the stick (par 71)
9 fairways
5 G.I.R
30 putts

Grunt
19th May 2006, 06:35 PM
Played in the Bridgestone Battle @ Macarthur Grange this afternoon.

37 points (2 wipes & 3 1 pointers)

Was another weird day with good ballstriking followed by poor play. Score could have been way better. I have the feeling I have one of those really really good scores coming soon.

PeteyD
19th May 2006, 06:56 PM
Played Wynnum with BV and choppa today. Only had 24 points with 3 wipes, but 2 of those wipes were only 1 over scoring, so I felt better about my golf today. Still hate trees.

BrisVegas
19th May 2006, 07:18 PM
Played Wynnum today

78 gross for 35 points.
5 fairways
7 GIR
29 putts
5/9 U&D

Struggled with everything except wedge and putter. Really happy with how I'm putting now. Left a couple of lag putts on the edge of the hole and made plenty of 4-6 footers.

AndyP
19th May 2006, 08:48 PM
Jarro, you must be in the up part of your rollercoaster game ATM.

Davemason
20th May 2006, 12:23 PM
Saturday comp played early teed of at 7bells, I should have stayed in bed.

single stab and had 32pts with 4 washes (due to stupid mistakes)

high lite of the round with a 250m drive down the center with a lob wedge in with a 1 m putt for birdie the reset was just crap and lucky to end up with 32pts

AndyP
20th May 2006, 02:27 PM
20/05/2006, Nambour GC, Stroke and Putting

FWRR: Blah, blah, blah, whatever.

Disqualified for hitting the wrong ball on my 2nd shot of a par 5, but didn't discover it, until I was about to knock in my par putt, and couldn't be bothered walking back 300m to find my original. Was probably my best hole, with the wrong ball.

The stats would have looked something like this though.

7/12 effective T-shots.
2/18 effective approaches. (One with the wrong ball)
33 putts.
--------------
5 pars.
9 bogeys.
2 doubles.
2 others.
Score 47-45-92 nett 79 (Par 34-34-68)

Shouldn't have played. Never had the right attitude.

I particularly enjoyed the 9 and 10 I had on a couple of par 4s, where I had balls rebound off branches 10m in front of me into hazards, and shanking.

On a positive note, the driver went pretty well.

Next round: Meh.

Jarro
20th May 2006, 03:30 PM
Jarro, you must be in the up part of your rollercoaster game ATM.

it would appear that way :roll:

i tend to play OK when i go out with no expectations .... i'm sure i put too much pressure on myself to play well sometimes :evil:

990B Luva
20th May 2006, 03:53 PM
I had 76-62 today.... will drop 0.3 and 0.6 for Oxley so i will be off 13 next week and then my 3.0 from Wynnum will put me off 10soon

Matt 3 Jab
20th May 2006, 03:55 PM
Nice shooting 990B!!!
Single figures in no time!

Jarro
20th May 2006, 03:59 PM
nice shootin' Brett.

Moe Norman
21st May 2006, 01:18 PM
Played 4BBB Stableford at Royal Nudgee North Today

Combined with OJ we had 49 points with a wash in there on the 12th.

I hit it very solid on the front nine with Olly appearing on the card only once, where we both made Par but he had a shot. I birdied the 9th to turn -1.

Played a very solid back 9, but we both washed 12 after hitting OB which threatened to kill momentum before Olly birdied 13, Parred 14 and Birdied 15 for 11 points in 3 holes. Sadly my three straight pars there didn't get a guernsey on the card! A par on 17 for another 4 pointer for Olly got us back on track before I missed a simple 6 foot birdie putt on 18 to give us 50 points.

My own stats.

72 Gross - 42 Points - 1 over
16 Pars
1 Birdie
1 Double
6/14 Fairways
14/18 GIR
32 Putts
3/3 Up&Down

Really happy with the way I played, I won't complain about the putts I missed because I didn't have ANY 3 jabs, and had only 32 putts! The other enjoyable aspect was 3 from 3 Up & Downs which made a huge difference. I didn't even notice how impressive my individual score was until the end, because I got a bit lost in Olly's points avalanch on the back 9!

I don't think I'll get handicapped either because Olly was on the card 5 times (for 18 points :o )

This short game help sure does make a difference!

BrisVegas
21st May 2006, 01:43 PM
nice shooting Thommo. 72 around Nudgee is not to be sneezed at. I'm impressed by your 32 putts! Good work!

Jarro
21st May 2006, 01:56 PM
nice scoring Moe 8)

How were the greens at Nudgee ?

Moe Norman
21st May 2006, 01:59 PM
Greens were mint, but I think they could be faster given the excellent condition. Perhaps they were quicker yesterday and they didn't give them a mow for Sunday? Or maybe they just seemed slow because there was plenty of dew at 6am in the morning....

Really were in excellent condition though.

Jarro
21st May 2006, 02:02 PM
they've been in really good nick for a while now. Played the South Course in a comp a few weeks ago with Gaz and Nudgee and they were awesome as well :)

it's nice to putt on good greens every week :smt023

Moe Norman
21st May 2006, 02:04 PM
btw Jarro, no review this time because I forgot my camera and was running late.

Jarro
21st May 2006, 02:05 PM
no probs Moe, i have a fair idea what it'll be like anyway :roll:

Moe Norman
21st May 2006, 02:09 PM
for a proper review I'd look at the good points and ignore most of the bad ones. Things like the fairway's on 1 and 5 and the internal OB on 16 are the only massive negatives I'd point out.

Perhaps I'll send you a PM with some of the stuff I think could easily be fixed and you could give your Club Captain a few hints ;)

Jarro
21st May 2006, 02:12 PM
What don't you like about the OOB on 16 ??

can't see any other way they can do it really. People were almost getting killed on the 17th tee :shock:

Moe Norman
21st May 2006, 04:34 PM
hence that makes it a design/routing flaw - could easily be avoided on a pretty massive plot of land!

Bruce
21st May 2006, 08:09 PM
I'm back. :smt095

My liver hates me and my hands hurt.

Wednesday was the warmup ambrose day at Finley. Somehow I have been given a hcp of 18 for this group despite never having broken 90 in my life. Greens were a bit random so scoring was tough and I got a bit tired having to carry the hackers I was partnered with around. *Every* shot from the 14th onwards was mine in a 4 man ambrose game. One bloke had a slice so bad it went from the left edge of our fairway to the far edge of the next fairway across. :shock: It was nearly going backwards by the time it landed. My par, par, bogey, bogey, par finish was personally good but not enough to get the team over the line.

There was a trivia night the Tocumwal club on Wednesday night. I am quite the cocky trivia comp guy and was planning on how to spend my winnings. I played with one other guy as I wasn't allowed to enter on my own and didn't want to have to share too much. Things were going well with a couple of point lead going into the final round when I met my trivia nemesis. FLOWERS! We had to recognise different flowers in pictures and we got 3/10. Hubris always comes before the fall.

Far too hungover to play good golf on Friday as we played the lesser President's Course. Couldn't buy a putt but it is hard to read a green when you can barely see. Chopped it up for 104 but still had a NTP to pocket a nice $50.

Saturday's round was the slowest of my life. I like the Captain's Course much more and I was able to putt better. Played the front 9 nine in 3 ****ing hours and turned with a personally excellent 42. Then I think I started to sober up a bit and the time spent waiting for every ****ing shot started to get to me. Came home with a disgraceful implosion of 55 but still managed to hit an NTP for even nicer $65 in the pocket. Total time for the round - 5 hours 35 minutes.

And now I need to sleep for a day.

McMw
21st May 2006, 09:19 PM
boy...I tot the 79 yesterday was UGLY...

played MM this arvo...went around in 81...
the worst thing (or best thing - depending on how u see it) was that I had 8 penalty shots in that 81...OUCH!!!

OOBS on my first drive (or lost ball), OOBS on the 1st (my 10th) and OOBS on the 8th (my 17th)...
Drove into the water on 17 and 18 for the other 2 penalty shots...

And 2 3putts...first was a miss becoz there was a tiny pebble on my line which I failed to spot, and the 2nd was me trying to get out of everyone's line...HATE THAT!!!

BrisVegas
21st May 2006, 09:28 PM
played MM this arvo...went around in 81...
the worst thing (or best thing - depending on how u see it) was that I had 8 penalty shots in that 81...OUCH!!!

Oh my... Not sure whether to congratulate you or not Mau.... :shock:

jimandr
21st May 2006, 09:40 PM
I don't know whether I'm on the verge of a great round, or at the top of a cycle and about to fall in a heap. For the second straight round I was 2 up with two to play, and finished wipe, one point for 35 points. Three-putted the last two greens. I didn't hit the ball well, but saved a few around the greens until the end.

Fairways = 10 of 14
Greens in Reg = 7 of 18
Putts = 32, 3 three-putts, no birdies
Up & Down = 6 of 8
Sand Saves = 0 of 2

connico
22nd May 2006, 12:27 AM
bad day at the office

35 putts, one 12 on a 103 score card...bloody freaking ****ing me off...was playing freaking well, for a little while...drove really well too, hit the fairways like a i was on performace enhancing drugs..just could get my short game togeather.

shazza_rs
22nd May 2006, 09:26 AM
Saturday 20/5/06 - 1st Round of Stroke Play champs

Started off with an 8 (par 5 - 10th hole)..... brought it back to a respectable score then i had a freaking 9 (par 5) on my second last hole to bring me home with a fantastic 94/76.....

Drove the ball like a spastic...... chipped and putted my butt off.

Greens were pretty crappy and long... just been sanded.

-----------------------------------------------------------
Sunday 21/5/06 - 2nd Round Stroke play champs

Started off with an 8 yet again (another freaking par 5, this time the 1st hole)....... stupid mistake was on the green for four..... putted like a spastic.

Brought the game back okay.... finished off with a 92/74.

CCR for both days was 75... so effectively i'm square with the card. :)
------------------------------------------------------------------

Highlights of the round.....
Day 1.... best gross score in was 78/73.... nice shooting
....my playing partner climbing a tree to get a club that was thrown to retrive a ball in the very top of the tree.

Day 2..... chick with best gross on day 1 carded a 92/87... gotta be happy with that.

Virgal_Tracy
22nd May 2006, 09:28 AM
Would love to say that I was driving it well but alas can't do it. Had an absolute horrible day off the tee including 3 shots that landed behind trees dead. Had to punch out square if not backwards.

Finished 27 pts at Bathurst with 3 pars from the last 4 holes. Iron play was realtively good but never left myself with the opportunity to use that good form by always landing in bad positions. Even on the 15th hit a great drive to left side of fairway but had overhanging branches stopping an attempt to go at the par 5 in 2.

Had 5 one putt holes, none from closer than 12ft so was rapt with that part of my putting. Had many burn the edge or do laps around give a wave but refuse to go through the door.

Highlight / lowlight was the par 3 125m 8th. Hit gentle 8 iron into the green at the pin. Landed 10ft short and spun back 8ft to the front of the green. I can't spin a wedge consistently but can spin the 7,8,9 on full shots.

Unfortunately heading back towards an 18 h'cap. Lessons definitely needed to reverse the trend.

amanda
22nd May 2006, 10:16 AM
shaz - nice work to bring things back to even :)

first round of the club champs - 105/84 - ouch! Couldn't hit a fairway wood all day - though I think I only missed 1 fairway with the driver. However - I'm only 2 shots off the B-grade leader - scratch 103 for the day.

I like the way how Shazza's club runs the first 2 rounds over 1 weekend - we have 2 more Sundays to go.

shazza_rs
22nd May 2006, 10:27 AM
we have two more rounds to go.... next saturday and sunday....

amanda
22nd May 2006, 10:58 AM
holy cow - 4 rounds!

PeteyD
22nd May 2006, 11:25 AM
The champs at Redland Bay are over 4 saturdays. Not sure if I am looking forward to that or not!

shazza_rs
22nd May 2006, 08:59 PM
just checked my golflink.... lost 0.3 for going -1 on sunday..... hcp now 17.4 ..... argh crap......

goughy
22nd May 2006, 10:22 PM
Our clubs champs are over 2 full consecutive weekends. They just happen to be the weekend around clikchic's b'day and the weekend around kyan's b'day. I doubt I'll play the champs until kyan is old enough to play them with me. Equally annoying is they are also the qualifying rounds for the clubs matchplay champs. No hope for me.