PDA

View Full Version : Wanted: Lie Angle Board

icandy
14th May 2016, 11:19 PM
Does anyone have a Lie Angle Board they want to sell?

Jazz18
14th May 2016, 11:44 PM
You don't really need one. If you mark your ball with a thick texta line and set it down vertically facing the club face, when you hit a shot it will mark the face of your iron. If your irons are upright, the line on the face will be angled towards the top of the toe. If they are flat, it will be pointing towards the top of the heel. If they are the correct lie angle, the line will be perfectly vertical on the face. Make sense?

chappy1970
15th May 2016, 07:17 AM
Al go to a cheap homewares shop and buy the biggest plastic chopping board you can find.

Use this as your lie board and simply tape the bottom of your clubs with masking tape.

Swinging your clubs and striking them against the board will give you what you are looking for

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Daves
15th May 2016, 07:24 AM
You don't really need one. If you mark your ball with a thick texta line and set it down vertically facing the club face, when you hit a shot it will mark the face of your iron. If your irons are upright, the line on the face will be angled towards the top of the toe. If they are flat, it will be pointing towards the top of the heel. If they are the correct lie angle, the line will be perfectly vertical on the face. Make sense?

I agree, so does Tom Wishon. Though plenty of so called experts will tell you otherwise;

http://www.golfwrx.com/277293/the-best-way-to-fit-lie-angle/

icandy
15th May 2016, 04:19 PM

Yes I'm aware of this method but want to do a combination of both to verify it.

Jazz18
15th May 2016, 07:38 PM
Yes I'm aware of this method but want to do a combination of both to verify it.

Cool, fair enough.

KristianJ
15th May 2016, 07:41 PM
When I had a lie angle check years back it was essentially hitting balls off a bit of plywood with tape on the sole of the iron I was hitting.

TourFit
16th May 2016, 02:42 PM
Piece of plywood will suffice. Make sure it is pretty thin, and paint it matte black if you feel you need to.

Just a piece of ordinary paper masking tape on the sole will suffice. The result will be clearly evident.

Jazz18
16th May 2016, 03:29 PM
Check your ball flight as well as the contact point in the sole off a lie board. Hitting off a board into a net is a good guide but should be paired with ball flight tendencies to get the proper specs for your irons and wedges.

icandy
16th May 2016, 05:45 PM
Check your ball flight as well as the contact point in the sole off a lie board. Hitting off a board into a net is a good guide but should be paired with ball flight tendencies to get the proper specs for your irons and wedges.
Yup agree.

TourFit
16th May 2016, 06:28 PM

Not sure that I agree.

I mean making sure the lie angle is correct with those particular clubs is pretty straight forward. Where is the sole contact, and does the club need lie adjustment.

There are many more important factors within THOSE particular clubs that will relate to the ballflight, and I'm not sure that the lie angle will overly change the trajectory by much (if any). Sure, having correct lie angles will mean a more solid hit and possibly more distance, but the biggest difference will be in ACCURACY.

Jazz18
16th May 2016, 11:15 PM
Not sure that I agree.

I mean making sure the lie angle is correct with those particular clubs is pretty straight forward. Where is the sole contact, and does the club need lie adjustment.

There are many more important factors within THOSE particular clubs that will relate to the ballflight, and I'm not sure that the lie angle will overly change the trajectory by much (if any). Sure, having correct lie angles will mean a more solid hit and possibly more distance, but the biggest difference will be in ACCURACY.

Ball flight isn't just trajectory and distance. The direction it goes is also part of ball flight too, no?

The lie board test assumes a square face at impact. Then, if ball flight is straight and consistent (or has a consistent shape), then the lie test will give you an accurate indication of what the lie should be.

However, if the face of the club is not square at impact, the lie board test on it's own could be misleading. What if a player had a closed face during impact and hit draws, but because the face was shut (ie would be toe down fractionally), the lie angle test was off the toe slightly (or a lot)? Would you recommend the lie angle go up? Surely not.

That's why ball flight with the lie angle test together is the only way to be fitted properly. If your fitter doesn't look at the 2 together, find another fitter.