PDA

View Full Version : Origins of your name (heritage/ ancestry etc)

Courty
15th May 2006, 09:41 PM
There's a whole other thread here just waiting to be started

From here (http://www.ozgolf.net/forums/showthread.php?t=4804&page=2).

.....what's the origin of your name?

Mine's has German heritage apparently :???:

I thought I'd chime in as I have an interesting story to tell from my Dad's side of the family.

My great-grandfather was the Prince of Latvia (next to Lithuania/ Estonia etc). As a boy he fled boarding school and stowed away on a ship, finally ending up in New Zealand. A few years later, as a grown man, he came to Australia & changed his name.

My Mum's side came as an Irish First Fleet convict by the name of Patrick Pacey. There are stacks of Pacey's still around Brisbane.

AndyP
15th May 2006, 09:42 PM
I don't have a story for my surname, but I believe Holden is Welsh.

Courty
15th May 2006, 09:49 PM
I thought Holden was based in Adelaide. ;)

Grunt
15th May 2006, 09:54 PM
My Surname, Mascord, I have traced back to Bunbury in England to John Mascord (died in 1712) 9 generations back from myself.

My Mums side is English as she emigrated with her parents from England in 1955. One funny thing from that is that htey brought their Tv with them and had to explain to visitors to the housewhat it was for almost 2 years.

BrisVegas
15th May 2006, 10:02 PM
My dad's side is Scottish originally, from Renfrewshire (now a suburb of Glasgow near the Airport).

Mum's side is German.

Both sides have been in Ostraylia since the mid-1800's though. The first Vegas to come out was a policeman named "Bill" from Manchester.

goughy
15th May 2006, 10:10 PM
Gough is english (I think).

As far as we could track, Thomas Gough was a soldier who came over on the first fleet with his wife and kid. Myself, my uncle, grandfather, great grandfather all have thomas in their name (as did jacob and now kyan).

I think my grandmothers grandfather (mothers side) was a semi famous bushranger somewhere.

markTHEblake
15th May 2006, 11:07 PM
My Great Great Grandfather Blake was born in Portumna, Galway, Ireland. he emigrated to Australia between 1850 and 1870. He married an irish lass Miss Coen (definitely no H !) a gaelic name.

All of the Galway Blakes are descended from one of the original 14 Tribes of Galway beginning with Richard Blake who came from england and was appointed Sherriff of Connaught in 1305 by Prince John (later King John) and was given large grants of land for his millitary sevice. Richard Blake was also known as Richard Caddel and Richard La Blac (french?)

Richards prior origins are not known however there the original English Blakes have been traced to 9th Century Vikings beginning with Hrof the Walker, who were a people known as Berserkirs becuase of their fighting skills (perhaps the orign or the word berserk). Eventually the vikings assimilated and adopted 'pagan' names.

Also one of the leading Heraldists Debrett has linked Blake to the name from Ap-Lake one of the knights of King Arthurs round table.

The Coat of arms of the Galway Blakes.
http://www.family-crests.com/coat-of-arms/family-crest/b/2152-blake-coat-arms.gif
Virtus sola Nobilitat = Virtue is the only nobility

Jarro
16th May 2006, 05:00 AM
no stories that i know of .. yet ;)

Dad's side was Spanish. Mum's side was Scottish

Andrew
16th May 2006, 07:02 AM
My dad's side has been traced back to England. Apparently, 2 brothers came out in the mid 1800's. They were both reasonable wealthy from selling land holdings they had in the UK, but came out here seeking greater riches. In other words, they were both greedy.

One brother fell on hard times, drunk his fortune away & became a bum in the streets & died at a relatively early age. The other opened up the farming land in the Bega region, transporting dairy cows to pioneer that areas dairy industry. His son started the Bega Co-op, which now runs Bega cheese & all the other stuff they make.

My mums side (Sinclair) is Scottish & decendants of the Sinclair tartan. This story was told in a geneology book published in the UK about 40 years ago that explained prominent family trees of the Brotish Isles.

In the early 1500's the Sinclairs were just your normal farming peasants, but my ancestor wasn't happy with that, so he got a group of disgruntled farmers together, stormed the compound of the 'Lord of the Land', killed him and his family & John Sinclair assume the position of 'Lord of the Land' himself. He them killed anybody who may have laid claim to the title. That was the way it was done back them. You had to make things happen for yourself.

Moe Norman
16th May 2006, 07:55 AM
I'll go 4 ways.

On my mothers side.

My grandmother originated from Scotland from the Darymple family - there is a town called "Darymple" where many of my relatives still live. One is the "Earl of Darymple"

My grandfather is a Somerville and came from Scotland where he is a direct decendant of Lord Somerville and he likes to think that he's aristocratic due to his cousins being members of the house of lords. Some of my remaining cousins live in a house in edinburgh called "The Drum" which is a well known estate in Scotland on 800 acres just 5 minutes from the CBD, I have visited them several times and use it as a base to play some of the most magnificent golf courses in the world!

Dads side

My grandmother originates from the Peck family who came from the US and started Cobb & Co Coaches

My grandfather originates from Scotland and I know little else of his background other than Jack Regan 'the prince of fullbacks' was his grandfather. He died when I was 11

Thomson has Scottish origins.

Choppa
16th May 2006, 09:23 AM
My mum is from Iceland and dad is from Cuba.
I guess this makes me an ice cube.

:mrgreen: :mrgreen:

markTHEblake
16th May 2006, 07:05 PM
few family skeletons coming out of the closet here . My shame and scandal in the family (woe is me) is a little sad.

My paternal grandmother was born in 1903-ish and was raised in a foster family. She never knew who her mum was, and never had a birth certificate. She knew her dad until she was 7, and then he died.

but there was a spinster who was freinds with her, i guess she was like an Aunt. she remained involved throughout my grandmothers life and my dad remembers she would baby sit sometimes, buy presents at xmas - stuff like that.

A couple years ago we did some investigating, and discovered what seeemed fairly obvious in retrospect. This old 'aunt' was the mother, and her dad never died, he was a travelling salesman and was married with children of his own. To top it all off, the dad was born in Collingwood - I just knew that had to be right.

Its very sad that this womans shame was just too much for her to be able to tell her daughter who she was and she took her secret to the grave,

McCoy
16th May 2006, 10:03 PM
Irish bloke who came here on the first fleet according to mum. Supposedly stole a loaf of bread, but I've never known of someone to say that their descendant did anything other than that. So as far as I can tell the Poms filled the first fleet with nothing but bread stealers.

Andrew
16th May 2006, 10:10 PM
My grandfather is a Somerville

We are probably related, as Somerville is the Scottish equivalent of the English name Summerell.

mike
16th May 2006, 10:13 PM
My great great great great grandfather, Matthew Everingham, borrowed a book and forgot to give it back. Well that was his version of events. He got found out and was transported to Botany Bay on the Scarborough.

Moe Norman
16th May 2006, 10:39 PM
Andrew - which football team do you support? Then I'll make up my mind.

On your golf sojourns to Scotland have you ventured to Somerville?

Next time you go I'll have to get you a spot at the Drum, the family are members of Dornoch.

Andrew
17th May 2006, 10:30 AM
Andrew - which football team do you support? Then I'll make up my mind.

On your golf sojourns to Scotland have you ventured to Somerville?

Next time you go I'll have to get you a spot at the Drum, the family are members of Dornoch.

If you are talking AFL, then I don’t support any team. Although, I do give MatthewM a hard time over the amount of games Essendon have won.

I have not been to Somerville, but I definitely have no aversion to another hit at Royal Dornoch.

markTHEblake
17th May 2006, 10:36 AM
By the way how could I forgot to mention this My Great Great Great Great Grandfather Blake married a Cohen.

amanda
17th May 2006, 10:57 AM
I don't know much about my family history - my mum's family were basic peasants in rural China. My dad's side of the family descended from ruling warlords and was forced to flee the "cultural revolution" because of their wealth - they moved into HK for a while and then eventually to Australia (in the first class cabin of a cruise ship!). My paternal grandfather lived the life of a playboy until he came to Oz - he had to get his first job at around 35.

My mum's family came on a very small leaky boat and she tells me she was seasick all the way!

I would love to know more - it's always something on my "to do" list.

Eag's
17th May 2006, 11:01 AM
My mum is from Iceland and dad is from Cuba.
I guess this makes me an ice cube.

:smt043 :lol: that's some funny $hit there Rich :smt023

Jarro
17th May 2006, 01:30 PM
I would love to know more - it's always something on my "to do" list.

me too 8)

How did all of you find out this information ? some website :confused:

AndyP
17th May 2006, 01:43 PM
I think you have to dig a bit deeper than the web, jarro. I think some research needs to be done at state or national libraries (the place with the books).

You can find a family crest on the web though.

http://www.houseofnames.com/

Holden:

http://allfamilycrests.com/h/holden.gif

markTHEblake
17th May 2006, 04:49 PM
Jarro, just search on something like Jarret and Heraldy, or geneology, name, family crest, town/district.

Unless you know which regions your family comes from, the info might be meaningless.

Courty
17th May 2006, 04:52 PM
Jarro, just search on something like Jarret and Heraldy, or geneology, name, family crest, town/district.

Unless you know which regions your family comes from, the info might be meaningless.

:roll: You'll never find anything that way. Try Genealogy and Heraldry. ;)