PDA

View Full Version : Golf in Thailand

Parantp
5th May 2016, 10:04 PM
Hi folks,

Apologies if this is in the wrong area, but interested in people's experiences playing golf in Thailand. I have played at Red Mountain in Phuket, but believe there are some great courses around Bangkok.

Appreciate any feedback,

Cheers

Parantp

markTHEblake
6th May 2016, 07:21 AM
Search for Golf Society, a few around and all welcome visitors. Enables you to get cheaper rates and hang out with some local expats

BayBum
6th May 2016, 08:23 AM
I'll be there over the new year period this year, just golfing & eating. My first and only time there I got a couple games in.

Summit Windmill was the standout. Great condition & a good layout, good caddy's too.

This time around I'll be about 2 hours north of BKK (Khao Yai national park). Kirimaya,Forrest hills,Khao Yai (mission hills), Toscana valley. Plenty of good tracks up that way.

I'll look into the golfsociety too, cheers for that MTB :)

Kaniss
6th May 2016, 04:16 PM
Love playing in Thailand. How much did you guy tip your caddie? I think I tipped mine too much...1000baht, but she was really good not just on the course but on the eye as well.

wazamac
6th May 2016, 05:13 PM
Everywhere I have played it is 300 baht minimum but usually give a bit more.

BayBum
7th May 2016, 08:49 AM
500 is my usual tip, I haven't had a bad experience yet so no reason to vary the amount.

At the end of the day, it's your call.

1000 is generous but if they earned it, good on you :)

wizard_of_oz
7th May 2016, 10:11 AM
500 is standard but no problem being generous.

Johnny Canuck
7th May 2016, 10:55 AM
Especially if you get a gobby

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kaniss
8th May 2016, 12:06 AM
No gobbie but her massage service was to die for she earned it. Im planning to go again this year cant wait.

oldracer
8th May 2016, 10:02 AM
Golf in that part of the world has always intrigued me.

BayBum
8th May 2016, 11:03 AM
In what way oldracer ?

I was a little out of my comfort zone my first time golfing over there. All the attention & being waited on hand n foot caught me of guard.

Reaching for my ball marker, only to find my caddy had already marked and cleaned my ball lol. Things like that took a little getting used to.

oldracer
8th May 2016, 11:06 AM
In what way oldracer ?

I was a little out of my comfort zone my first time golfing over there. All the attention & being waited on hand n foot caught me of guard.

Reaching for my ball marker, only to find my caddy had already marked and cleaned my ball lol. Things like that took a little getting used to.got a few mates that go over every year and never been able to hook on with them but hear all the tales. Love the food, reckon I would love the attention and the courses look amazing, on the bucket list for sure.

Aussielongdriver
9th May 2016, 07:34 PM
was over there in March and played
Pattaya
Siam Old course 3 days after a LPGA event
Siam Plantation course

Hua Hin

Black Mountain 3 days after the True Thailand Open
Banyan
Springfield
Sea Pines

Did a tour with www.thailandgolftours.com.au
had a ball 4 round tournament
and am planning on doing Vietnam and Cambodia next year.

blkmtn
21st February 2019, 04:22 PM
Thread dig...

Have a trip booked in August - so far we have 4 rounds booked in, with the possibility of a 5th. I've been to Thailand a couple of times before, but haven't played golf over there so am looking forward to it.

The current list is -
Sea Pines GC
Black Mountain
Banyan GC
Siam CC - Old Course

Anything I should be aware/weary of?

BayBum
21st February 2019, 07:21 PM
Order the sun dried pork after your round at Black Mountain and thank me later 😉

blkmtn
25th February 2019, 09:08 AM
I'll add it to the list! Cheers.

sheezymaneezy
2nd April 2019, 06:16 PM
Are you intending to play in Bangkok at all?
Either way, those courses are very nice.

blkmtn
3rd April 2019, 12:50 PM
The guys have pencilled in Navatanee but nothing has been booked yet. We have 3 days there before flying home.

sheezymaneezy
4th April 2019, 07:23 PM
I played that course about 2 weeks ago. Was in pretty average condition.

Alpine is an awesome course if you can be bothered making the trek out. Same as Royal Gems which has all the famous holes from around the world, members and guests only but I know a few guys there if you want to get on.
My favourite closer by is Thana City.

blkmtn
11th April 2019, 11:34 AM
Thanks mate - I'll run them past the guys but sounds like a good lead.

markTHEblake
11th April 2019, 11:01 PM
Panya Indra in BKK is pretty good, for some different reasons (check the website) they also have night golf.

DO not recommend playing night golf on first day on arrival, with the 3 hours time difference, teeing off at the equivalent of 10pm on your own body clock doesnt work real good when get to the back 9. By the middle of the back 9 I wanted to lie down and die.

blkmtn
12th April 2019, 12:46 PM
Thanks.

The courses we are booked in for are mid morning, so not looking forward to the heat. Nothing a few beers can't fix though.

blkmtn
15th July 2019, 02:44 PM
A bit of a late change due to availability, but all good to go for next week.

We are playing Sea Pine, Palm Hill, Black Mountain and Banyan. Costing me a bit more than I was hoping, but looking forward to it!

WBennett
16th July 2019, 11:53 PM
There is no such thing as cheap golf in SE Asia

blkmtn
20th August 2019, 01:23 PM
Our plans changed due to a few days of rain - I ended up playing Sea Pines, Palm Hills and Black Mountain.

Black Mountain was the obvious stand out but pace of play was pretty poor. It took about 6 hours to play the full 18. Still a great experience and pretty keen to get back over there.