Kaniss
28th April 2016, 11:48 AM
Gents what a good GPS watch around $200-$300 that can;

1-Count shots per hole and game
2-Show distances to the pin and distance of shots taken

Cheers..

dM.
28th April 2016, 11:54 AM
Best bang for buck atm would be a Garmin S5, pick one up for $299. Tech support is really easy with Garmin and if there is an fault with the unit they get it sorted really quickly.

3Puttpete
28th April 2016, 11:57 AM
A GPS will give you distances to the (front/back) centre of the green. Pin positions change.

Grumpy8
28th April 2016, 05:01 PM
I have a Garmin s1 and it's still working well

highballin
28th April 2016, 05:04 PM
Gents what a good GPS watch around $200-$300 that can;

1-Count shots per hole and game
2-Show distances to the pin and distance of shots taken

Cheers..

Don't get a Bushnell plus, I have one and don't use it because I don't trust it. Use my range finder instead

Charger
28th April 2016, 05:40 PM
I have a Garmin s1 and it's still working well

Me too. Solid product.

goughy
28th April 2016, 06:38 PM
I've got a garmin watch too, though not a specific golfing watch, but it does do distances (including shot distance), layups, score etc. I've had to use garmin's service quite a bit with an older product and they were really great to deal with. Happy with it's gps distances etc.

Hard_Pan
29th April 2016, 10:43 AM
Garmin S6. I wear it all the time.

Archi
29th April 2016, 10:53 AM
Had an S6 - wasn't that keen on it , seemed quite bulky whilst swinging plus big fingers and little buttons aren't a great match
2 months in - it just died !
Took it back to Golfbox and with no hassell what so ever Garmin replaced it - I took the $495 credit instead and everyone was happy !

Hard_Pan
29th April 2016, 11:34 AM
Hear what you're saying Archi. As with anything, not for everyone but I've had mine over a year now, worn in all weather conditions and its been great.

goughy
29th April 2016, 12:22 PM
I've never played a sport with a watch on until my Fenix 3 was updated with golf features. I hated having a watch on, and the F3 is bloody big. But it hasn't taken me ling to get used to it, especially with how helpful it's been.

Grumpy8
29th April 2016, 05:39 PM
I never wore a watch playing sport until the Garmin , now I feel something is missing if I forget to wear it and find not having it is more off putting

billp
7th May 2016, 10:23 AM
Liking what I am reading about the latest Garmin x40 looks like I will have something to wish for on my birthday

Tigerblood
8th May 2016, 02:45 PM
Liking what I am reading about the latest Garmin x40 looks like I will have something to wish for on my birthday

Wish Garmin had this 12 months ago, exactly what I wanted but ended up getting a G8, Garmin is the only name I trust in golf gps.

SirTop
18th May 2016, 09:59 PM
Considering getting the Garmin S20 or the Garmin s5, both are
$299 from golfbox

Any thoughts?

S20 has shot tracking but seems not to capture putts or short punch shots out of the rough. It's triggered with wrist actions.

I use game golf at the moment.

The S5 seems to have more features. I'm not interested in much more than front middle and back distances and tracking distance on the spot for a cracking drive. Actually would be good to have strokes, putts per round, GIR and fairways hit which it has.

Would also like to use one as a smart watch potentially.

I've got Amateur Golf Challenge vouchers to use which makes it better but I'd still like to get the right product rather than just pick the most expensive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gameboy
23rd May 2016, 07:04 PM
got a microsoft band 2 which has gps and golf features. will post when i have checked it out - online reviews are pretty mixed

Bitter
23rd May 2016, 07:10 PM
Considering getting the Garmin S20 or the Garmin s5, both are
$299 from golfbox

Any thoughts?

S20 has shot tracking but seems not to capture putts or short punch shots out of the rough. It's triggered with wrist actions.

I use game golf at the moment.

The S5 seems to have more features. I'm not interested in much more than front middle and back distances and tracking distance on the spot for a cracking drive. Actually would be good to have strokes, putts per round, GIR and fairways hit which it has.

Would also like to use one as a smart watch potentially.

I've got Amateur Golf Challenge vouchers to use which makes it better but I'd still like to get the right product rather than just pick the most expensive.

I grabbed the S5 from Golfbox and used a $50 off $250 code so got it for $249. Unfortunately I have not had a game since getting it so cannot comment on golf functions.

Had it set for notifications paired with my phone and only got 8 hours out of the battery. Turned that function off and battery has not dropped in 2 weeks just using as a regular watch.

SirTop
23rd May 2016, 07:17 PM
got a microsoft band 2 which has gps and golf features. will post when i have checked it out - online reviews are pretty mixed

Thanks mate

I ended up buying the Garmin S6 today, waiting for delivery now and will post up when I try it out.

I tried using my Apple Watch with a few golf apps but I just found them unreliable.

If I can't trust the distance for every shot then it's not something I can use. My Garmin S2 was always brilliant and dependable, so I'll stick with them now.

Keen to see how you go with yours

Hard_Pan
24th May 2016, 02:21 PM
Keen to know what you think ST. I've had my s6 for two years now and it's still going strong.

SirTop
24th May 2016, 10:24 PM
Keen to know what you think ST. I've had my s6 for two years now and it's still going strong.

Will do mate.

You sure it's the S6, hasn't it just recently been released?

Hard_Pan
25th May 2016, 09:29 AM
You sure it's the S6, hasn't it just recently been released?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk41337
From memory, I bought it soon after release.

SirTop
25th May 2016, 10:06 AM
From memory, I bought it soon after release.

Cool.

Do you use the fancy features such as swing tempo etc?

Also do you find its a decent watch to use at work as a smart watch too?

Hard_Pan
25th May 2016, 02:15 PM
Yep. Swing strength and especially swing tempo function is very good because I tend to swing too fast on occasion.

There are actually quite a few golf related functions in this watch that I haven't tried yet but I do use the shot measuring function quite a bit. I use it to keep tabs of my scores, number of putts etc etc.

I wear mine all the time, including to the office. Great golf watch but not a Smart watch in a general sense really.. It won't measure your pulse or how well you slept. It has an odometer which you can use off the course but again that is limited because I find it has trouble locating a satellite within some buildings.

I've even used the shot measure function to measure the boundary of a paddock! :)

Oh, if you're going to use the watch in a comp (no doubt you will), turn off the pinpointer function in the setup menu else your watch will be illegal (pinpointer is effectively a flag compass).

SirTop
25th May 2016, 09:11 PM
Yep. Swing strength and especially swing tempo function is very good because I tend to swing too fast on occasion.

There are actually quite a few golf related functions in this watch that I haven't tried yet but I do use the shot measuring function quite a bit. I use it to keep tabs of my scores, number of putts etc etc.

I wear mine all the time, including to the office. Great golf watch but not a Smart watch in a general sense really.. It won't measure your pulse or how well you slept. It has an odometer which you can use off the course but again that is limited because I find it has trouble locating a satellite within some buildings.

I've even used the shot measure function to measure the boundary of a paddock! :)

Oh, if you're going to use the watch in a comp (no doubt you will), turn off the pinpointer function in the setup menu else your watch will be illegal (pinpointer is effectively a flag compass).

Thanks HP

I'll post up here how it goes when it arrives, hoping it will be here by Friday.

I'm sick of using the rangefinder if that sounds reasonable. Just want to glance at my wrist for distances.

I was hitting 9 iron 136 to 142m today so I've still got to work out my distances as I seem to be hitting the ball longer with the new swing, so this should help me as I use it to measure shot distances.

The white looked bloody awful, thank God I didn't get too impatient and just take that, rather I somehow managed to man up and get Drummond's to order the orange black one from Garmin.

Hard_Pan
25th May 2016, 10:08 PM
Good choice, I can't see white not looking like shite after few weeks' use.