PDA

View Full Version : Found: A Mart golf sale

damoocow
26th April 2016, 02:37 PM
Was looking for some cheap balls to lose at the Champs and went onto the A Mart website yesterday , not sure if they're interstate also but they have balls for $10 a carton [Wilson staff duo and Optima Tour soft and gloves [Callaway/TMade etc] for $5.
I picked up 8 boxes of balls and 7 gloves for $115.

goughy
26th April 2016, 03:29 PM
How bad do you expect to pay at the champs?

damoocow
26th April 2016, 03:54 PM
Just the usual champs outing........

dazza99
26th April 2016, 04:26 PM
What are the Wilson Staff Duo's like guys? Good? Or only worth the $10?

I see they have other balls (Cally Supersofts & Hex Chrome etc) at way more than you'd pay at GCO or Drummonds.

3Puttpete
26th April 2016, 05:35 PM

I see they have other balls (Cally Supersofts & Hex Chrome etc) at way more than you'd pay at GCO or Drummonds.

The duo is a good ball. Google will find some reviews. $10 is a bargain.

highballin
26th April 2016, 05:43 PM
The duo is a good ball. Google will find some reviews. $10 is a bargain.

+1

Matt 3 Jab
26th April 2016, 06:05 PM

A very good ball for $10 a doz!! (If that was the deal)

Very very soft off the club face

A marshmallow to putt with

Spin and distance are reasonable.

Was given a few doz from the bank and have used and didn't mind them at all.

Matt 3 Jab
26th April 2016, 06:06 PM
Also the the optima TS was the ball of choice for me growing up. If they are anything like they were then they are a good all rounder

dazza99
26th April 2016, 06:09 PM
Might have to pop by the local A Mart then. Or was this only online Damo (ocow)

Matt 3 Jab
26th April 2016, 06:15 PM
Project (a) for $20 a doz seems a good deal as well for the mid price bracket

KristianJ
26th April 2016, 06:15 PM
There's an Amart in the complex that my work is in...might have to wander down before I start tomorrow.

Johnny Canuck
26th April 2016, 06:26 PM
I tried a Duo in a practice round and was quite surprised with how it performed.

Very good value for $10 a dozen

damoocow
26th April 2016, 06:27 PM
Might have to pop by the local A Mart then. Or was this only online Damo (ocow)

Online and in store - you can check on their site if stock is at a particular store.

Huynhie
26th April 2016, 06:59 PM
Only in the yellow that they're $10?

wazamac
26th April 2016, 07:04 PM
PGF Driver for $45 dollars? Used the Optima couple of years back and seemed to be not a bad ball.

aussieashley
26th April 2016, 07:17 PM
Also the the optima TS was the ball of choice for me growing up. If they are anything like they were then they are a good all rounder

I'd definitely try before you buy on the new Optima TS. Get a sleeve or only 1 doz to start with. When I was growing up they were a good ball.
I found the new one felt like a rock off the club face and didn't spin anywhere near enough on approach shots and around the greens.

Matt 3 Jab
26th April 2016, 07:42 PM
I'd definitely try before you buy on the new Optima TS. Get a sleeve or only 1 doz to start with. When I was growing up they were a good ball.
I found the new one felt like a rock off the club face and didn't spin anywhere near enough on approach shots and around the greens.

Yeah it wouldn't surprise me they have changed.

I remember it was optima HP (maybe) for distance.

Optima TS for all round and the optima balata / gold for the premium! I remember they were sold in packs of 2 as well.

Hatchman
27th April 2016, 06:21 PM
PGF Driver for $45 dollars? Used the Optima couple of years back and seemed to be not a bad ball.

Yeah it wouldn't surprise me they have changed.

I remember it was optima HP (maybe) for distance.

Optima TS for all round and the optima balata / gold for the premium! I remember they were sold in packs of 2 as well.

The old Optima TS ruled the club golfers golf ball roost for a very long time through the 90's.
There wasn't a lot of competition back then either, Precept EV was the only real contender that I saw or tried. The makers of Srixon golf balls used to make the Optima TS before they decided to market their own brand. Around the time Srixon released their own brand the Optima balls went through a re-packaging. The TS was still in the green box, the Gold box Optima Tour changed to the red box and was marketed as the HP. There was one in grey box that came a little later but cant remember what that was?

Maxfli started making some good balls, Srixon had a very good and I think one of the last wound balls along with all the others they made that were similar/same to the Optima range and then came the Titleist's mighty ProV1 that took the golf ball market by storm. Topflite Strata's and Tour Editions had some brief moments in the sun. The better club golfers were using Titleist Balatas although that was being fazed out for the Professional and there was the excellent DDH Maxfli Balata.

Matt 3 Jab
27th April 2016, 06:34 PM
I'll throw in the Maxfli XS as a contender back then along with the titleist DT tour. There really was a jump between the distance rocks, the mid level balls, and the premium balatas.

I think once the multilayer balls came in (prov, Maxfli revo (did have a wound layer but was a mix) strata (love that strata professional) ), the tour ball kept going up and up and that mid level ball got left behind.

Hatchman
27th April 2016, 07:03 PM
I used the Maxfli XS for a season (just couldn't remember the model when I said Maxfli started making good balls). Great feel on the sort game with these but they didn't wear great. I used to shave them with the wedges. Not as bad as the Precept EV thou, but always seems to be picking the ball cover out of the grooves :D