PDA

View Full Version : Ireland - hidden gems/tips?

markTHEblake
21st April 2016, 10:28 PM
Going to Ireland in July for two weeks. Apparently the weather is crap that time of year, but the other 11 months are worse.

Am in a large group of about 100 for much of the trip with everything organised, but will have 3-4 days to ourselves (2-3 of us). For those interested, am playing in the Payne Stewart cup (http://www.psc.net) with my new best mate Bill (http://www.pscup.net/rogers.html) - who still knocks it around ok for a 62yo. (about scratch but i only play once or twice a week these days, he says as if thats not enough)

We are already playing at County Down, Ardglass, Portrush, Portstewart, Castlerock, but I am hoping I can get on to some good courses too.

Anytips? Its unlikely we will be venturing far off the beaten track between Portstewart-Belfast-Newcastle-Dublin, even though its a small country, its unlikely we will go anywhere along the south or west. I did have my heart set on going to Portumna Galway as that is my families origin around 1820 but even thats out of reach with our she
In particular looking for a website where can get good deals on golf like ISG is here. I did some googling but its hard to separate the fluff from the real thing.

I'd like to find that hidden gem that costs less then the price of a kidney. Strike me pink, Portrush is AUD330, and I dont think that includes a free hat either.

Apart from what I said, We know nothing about Ireland/NI. Never been to UK before.

FuzzyJuzzy
21st April 2016, 10:49 PM
County Down and Portrush would be great fun to play. Have a blinder Blakey.

3Puttpete
21st April 2016, 11:21 PM
Www.teeofftimes.co.uk

goughy
22nd April 2016, 07:07 AM
Leprechauns? If you catch one you get his pot of gold!

WBennett
22nd April 2016, 08:01 AM
Give Marto a call.

topping
24th April 2016, 07:36 PM
Have a look at 2 fore 1. It used to be good when I was over there. You pay for the vouchers and get two green fees for one, some very cheap especially midweek. Also have some friends who run the golfmagic website which has really good forums. Would join up and post on there. Can't help you with courses sorry, we always headed west to play the obvious plus Waterville, my favourite golf course in the world. Enjoy. Good luck with the weather. Stock up on stupidly cheap cold weather gear at sports direct superstores, they're everywhere.

hippo10
24th April 2016, 08:12 PM
Carne on the north west coast is amazing. Worth the drive.

Or just read 'A course called Ireland' by Tom Coyne and then pick some courses to play.

fredstar
25th April 2016, 03:21 PM
I played those on your list except Castlerock. County Down is the best by a country mile. Try Rathmore which is next to Portrush and was where McDowell played at growing up. Low key links course but a lot of fun and a lot cheaper than next door. Make sure you have a Guinness at the Portrush harbour.

markTHEblake
27th April 2016, 08:53 PM
thanks for tips, keep em coming.

wazandnic
28th April 2016, 11:52 AM
Played Portstewart a few years back. Cracker. Front nine through the dunes, back nine more old school links.

In Dublin we stayed at Portmarnock Hotel and Links. The course looked great, modern links style from just walking around it. Didn't get to play it but did manage a game at Portmarnock Old which was very special. It's more private and very old school links style. Not sure how easy it is to get on these days, but was definitely a fun course!

Cheers,
Waz

markTHEblake
8th June 2016, 11:09 PM
Itinerary Settled, playing Castlerock ($160), Royal Portrush ($320), PortStewart ($260), Ardglass x 2, Royal County Down, and somewhere in Bangkok and Jakarta just to top it off (stopovers)
Will look at one of the little courses near Portstewart on a spare afternoon. Probably Portstewart Old ($20 woohoo) or Rathmore. why not both - the days are long.

Maybe one more course to play somewhere between Newcastle and Dublin, dont know if there is any must plays along that route.

Also spending one night in Temple Bar, 2 nights in Belfast, the pub next door to the hotel is called Filthy McNasties ( i have no idea what that means, but I wouldnt be surprised to find lagerlover there)

PerryGroves
9th June 2016, 08:37 AM
I will bludge in in MTBs thread, hope he doesn't mind, I'm in Ireland after him, first 3 weeks of August.

Not my choice of courses, we are Baltray, Concra Woods, RCD, Lough Erne (Faldo), Portstewart, Portrush, Castle, K Club, Carton House and Mt Juliet.

Like MTB, I'm looking for a few gems as we have a few rest days and I use golf to keep me off the soup. @fredstar, cheers for Rathmore

markTHEblake
9th June 2016, 08:50 PM
are any of those tracks between RCD and Dublin?

fredstar
11th June 2016, 06:13 AM
If you can afford the time and cash, play RCD twice in one day. It is brilliant. Some of the others are ok but not great value for money, whereas if you play twice at RCD its great value.

Temple Bar is a total tourist trap, find a pub elsewhere in the city where locals are and Guinness is half the price.

Hopefully you get lucky with the weather like I did. Didn't use the raingear once, instead I had to go buy sunscreen because it was hot and sunny for a week!

markTHEblake
13th June 2016, 09:05 PM
I just got an email from the organisers, telling me that they have acquired a Forecaddie for the last 3 rounds (inc RCD) at a cost of 60 pounds each group.
Stuff me, thats $30 a round for some old guy to look for golf balls. ;-)

By the time I get to Temple Bar, which is the last night of the trip, there wont be any money for a glass of water.

Fred, if you got any suggestion for a cheap spot for a nightover on Dublin, let me know. I have no idea, I have got a small room in a hostel for $80, the next cheapest right now is around $140.

3Puttpete
13th June 2016, 09:53 PM
I just got an email from the organisers, telling me that they have acquired a Forecaddie for the last 3 rounds (inc RCD) at a cost of 60 pounds each group.
Stuff me, thats $30 a round for some old guy to look for golf balls. ;-)

By the time I get to Temple Bar, which is the last night of the trip, there wont be any money for a glass of water.

Walk the streets like a ghost and see the bright young things throwing up their Guinness in the gutter

rickie prowler
6th July 2016, 06:42 PM
Hey mate, if you are able to squeeze in a round or two in beside Dublin maybe try Headford in Kells Co. Meath. Its in the top 5 parkland courses in Ireland and a really nice hit, with 2 courses available to play. Knightsbrook and Carton House are both great with the latter hosting some big events. Enjoy RCD, I mean really take it in, that golf course is my favourite place in the world!
try teetimes.ie also

rickie prowler
6th July 2016, 06:46 PM
Also, as someone mentioned stay out of Temple Bar it will burn your cash. Go for a few pints to the Barge in Portobello or swing by Dame Street or if you pull an all nighter hit Camden Street. Dublin is a great spot with a lot more to offer that shitty Temple Bar

007trader
12th July 2016, 12:07 PM
I will bludge in in MTBs thread, hope he doesn't mind, I'm in Ireland after him, first 3 weeks of August.

Not my choice of courses, we are Baltray, Concra Woods, RCD, Lough Erne (Faldo), Portstewart, Portrush, Castle, K Club, Carton House and Mt Juliet.

Like MTB, I'm looking for a few gems as we have a few rest days and I use golf to keep me off the soup. @fredstar, cheers for Rathmore

Baltray is great and as close to a "hidden gem" as one can get when it comes to such things. I immediately wanted to go back out and play it again. Played RCD the next day and while it is clearly the superior course (possibly the most superior in the world) it wasn't quite as..... fun.

Also, you cannot get from Royal County Down to Dublin without passing right by Baltray (aka County Louth) so it would be very convenient for MTB.

3Puttpete
12th July 2016, 01:15 PM
Baltray is great and as close to a "hidden gem" as one can get when it comes to such things. I immediately wanted to go back out and play it again. Played RCD the next day and while it is clearly the superior course (possibly the most superior in the world) it wasn't quite as..... fun.

Also, you cannot get from Royal County Down to Dublin without passing right by Baltray (aka County Louth) so it would be very convenient for MTB.

Now that's a first post of some quality!