PDA

View Full Version : Your Driver Swing Weight?

JADO75
20th April 2016, 08:45 PM
I've been having some great results with drivers coming in at D5-D7 of late, playing length between 45"-45.5". I like the extra weight as it seems to help me with knowing where the club head is.
I'm curious to know what swing weight you guys play your drivers at?
Cheers
Jado

Gammon
20th April 2016, 09:08 PM
I'm curious to know what swing weight I play also ;)
I know my hybrids are D1. I'm sure Capt Nemo and Blue will have some pearls of wisdom for you.

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk

Wenz
20th April 2016, 09:14 PM
D3

benno_r
20th April 2016, 09:28 PM
Play most drivers at D3 @ 44.75". Generally don't (can't) go higher because of the length.

Daves
21st April 2016, 07:06 AM
It varies a bit depending on style of driver. Player type heads tend to be heavier, and the standard shaft is shorter. I play these similar to Jado 45 - 45.5", SW will be D2 to D5 usually. For the lighter headed drivers, shafts tend to be lighter weight and longer. 45.5 - 46" is more the norm. SWs can be anywhere from D0 to D7/8.

live4golf
21st April 2016, 10:14 AM
Range from C7 to D5. I really don't find much of a difference, mind you I am a hacker.

dM.
21st April 2016, 11:04 AM
I've tried heavier D4+ but always seem to hit lighter ones way better <D1

dowdsy
21st April 2016, 01:54 PM
D3 for me just suits me.

TourFit
21st April 2016, 01:56 PM
My many drivers have a weight that works with that particular shaft!

eg: D2 in a 45" driver with shaft A may feel COMPLETELY different to D2 @ 45" in shaft B. Test with some lead tape first, using impact tape to see / feel where your best results are.

virge666
29th April 2016, 08:52 AM
I like about D0-D1

TourFit
29th April 2016, 09:11 AM
And I like brunettes...

3Puttpete
29th April 2016, 10:15 AM
My many drivers have a weight that works with that particular shaft!

eg: D2 in a 45" driver with shaft A may feel COMPLETELY different to D2 @ 45" in shaft B. Test with some lead tape first, using impact tape to see / feel where your best results are.

As it's not an actual measure of weight, rather a "measure" of how heavy or light something feels, how can 2 clubs with the same swingweight feel completely different?

Captain Nemo
29th April 2016, 10:54 AM
As it's not an actual measure of weight, rather a "measure" of how heavy or light something feels, how can 2 clubs with the same swingweight feel completely different?The shaft that's in it?

3Puttpete
29th April 2016, 11:05 AM
Should still feel the same shouldn't it?

D22marshall
29th April 2016, 12:53 PM
Should still feel the same shouldn't it? Only from what I have found balance points in shafts as well as weight and even flex can make all the differences.I have a d4 ATM but doesn't feel like that in hand.Where as my irons Are roughly d0 but feel a lot more head heavy

TheNuclearOne
29th April 2016, 02:48 PM
As it's not an actual measure of weight, rather a "measure" of how heavy or light something feels, how can 2 clubs with the same swingweight feel completely different?

A good example would be knocking up two drivers at 45" and D2, one with a 50g shaft and the other with as 90g. Massive difference.

pauly
29th April 2016, 02:55 PM
doesn't every 9g added to the shaft = 1 swing weight point?
using the same weight of head a 50g shaft and a 90g shaft making them the same swing weight would require tinkering with the head weight or counter-balancing.

mines 44.5 inches @ D3 (208gm head 70ish gm shaft)

also i think swing weight is supposed to be a measurement of the relationship between both ends of the stick, thus D2 should feel the same in that regard - but if the entire mass of the club is different it will feel different - think a counter-balanced putter with the same swing weight as a normal putter, the counter-balanced putters total mass is heavier.

3Puttpete
29th April 2016, 02:56 PM
A good example would be knocking up two drivers at 45" and D2, one with a 50g shaft and the other with as 90g. Massive difference.

But that's actual weight. Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't swing weight a measure of how head heavy it feels, not how heavy it is. Shouldn't two clubs with the same swing weight feel the same?

pauly
29th April 2016, 03:01 PM
the ratio between the weight of the head and the weight of the butt is the same, but a lighter or heavier club will feel ... lighter or heavier

you are right though, the pendulum effect should be the same, but you are holding a club that's heavier in mass (or lighter) so beginning the pendulum will "feel" different.

TheNuclearOne
29th April 2016, 06:21 PM
But that's actual weight. Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't swing weight a measure of how head heavy it feels, not how heavy it is. Shouldn't two clubs with the same swing weight feel the same?

To hit D2 with a 50 gram you need much more weight in the head vs e.g. a 90. They feel substancially different, well they do to me. Maybe others might feel differently.

virge666
5th May 2016, 09:00 PM
And I like brunettes...

Blondes... Always

mrbluu
5th May 2016, 09:16 PM
And I like brunettes...

Blondes... Always
Does the curtain have to match the carpet??

chappy1970
5th May 2016, 09:26 PM
Does the curtain have to match the carpet??
Nope

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

virge666
5th May 2016, 11:24 PM
Floorboards

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

TourFit
6th May 2016, 02:58 PM

Nope. That's what we are trying to say.

Swingweight is based on the length of the club and the weight in the head. It DOES NOT tell you how the weight (total or otherwise) is distributed.

Swingweight should be thought of as the head feel you need for a specific shaft in the club at the time. As TNO has rightly stated a D2 driver with a 50g shaft feels vastly different than one with a 90g shaft. Even two drivers at 45" and D2 with two 65g shafts in may feel different. I had one with a ProLaunch Blue in it, and another with an NV and they felt different.

That is due to how the shafts are made - profile, placement of materials, wall thicknesses in different areas etc etc etc.

So, based on that, you do NOT have one preferred swingweight (usually). It is important to "find" what weight works for you with a specific shaft. Change shafts, and find a new weight. (Some people are not that sensitive to it and changing weight will have little difference on impact. In this case, it largely becomes a non-issue for them)