PDA

View Full Version : Killara GC - thoughts?

FuzzyJuzzy
18th April 2016, 08:10 AM
Gents,

Has anyone got any good vibes - or opinions in general - about Killara GC? Met a bloke over the weekend who's a member there and may hit him up to host me there some time. Looks pretty tidy on its site, but I've only really played Wakehurst on that side of town, which I know isn't exactly the pick of the litter of courses on the north side (I didn't mind it too much though), and Mona Vale, which was enjoyable.
Beyond the obviously awesome courses (Terrey Hills, Monash, Elanora), most all the courses on the north side look to be in pretty spanking nick (Killara, Cromer, Avondale, Pymble being key examples). Not saying there aren't ordinary courses on the north side though.
I've always thought that on my side of Sydney (the west) we're pretty spoilt for choice for solid courses, with my close to home favourites being Liverpool, Cabramatta and Macquarie Links (I'll throw Camden Lakeside in here too, I guess), and a little further afield Stonecutters Ridge, Ryde-Parramatta and Oatlands. I also enjoy playing the likes of Penrith, Glenmore Heritage Valley, Lynwood and Dunheved. Without having played the likes of Killara, Cromer, Avondale and Pymble, and merely by looking at the pics on their sites, the only courses in the west that may have a similar aesthetic vibe that I know of are Ryde-Parramatta and Oatlands. Have spent the last hour perusing the websites of those north side courses and geeking out. Great way to start the working week. Wish I was on a golf course RIGHT NOW....:(.

Captain Nemo
18th April 2016, 08:23 AM
Played there a few times. Rate it pretty high.It's a very pretty course, always in tip top condition. Would I play it week in week out, prob not..,,

PerryGroves
18th April 2016, 08:31 AM
In terms of north side courses, Killara is one of the better, I prefer Avondale and Pymble up that way but you will have a good day. The road crossings annoy me but that happens at Royal Melbourne as well.

Will likely be in good condition but it's certainly not memorable, I've played it a dozen times but struggle to remember holes.

PerryGroves
18th April 2016, 10:20 AM
Gents,

Have spent the last hour perusing the websites of those north side courses and geeking out. Great way to start the working week. Wish I was on a golf course RIGHT NOW....:(.

You really need the check out the "gems" of the north side, a collection of courses you wouldn't wish on your worst enemy.

Not sure if I coined the phrase but I refer to it as the Shite Belt, Palm Beach, Avalon, Balgowlah, CastleCove, Northbridge, Cammeray, Lane Cove, Chatswood, Gordon and Turramurra.

pt73
18th April 2016, 10:26 AM
You really need the check out the "gems" of the north side, a collection of courses you wouldn't wish on your worst enemy.

Not sure if I coined the phrase but I refer to it as the Shite Belt, Palm Beach, Avalon, Balgowlah, CastleCove, Northbridge, Cammeray, Lane Cove, Chatswood, Gordon and Tummamurra.
Ouch ........

pt73
18th April 2016, 10:37 AM
Gents,

Has anyone got any good vibes - or opinions in general - about Killara GC? Met a bloke over the weekend who's a member there and may hit him up to host me there some time. Looks pretty tidy on its site, but I've only really played Wakehurst on that side of town, which I know isn't exactly the pick of the litter of courses on the north side (I didn't mind it too much though), and Mona Vale, which was enjoyable.
Beyond the obviously awesome courses (Terrey Hills, Monash, Elanora), most all the courses on the north side look to be in pretty spanking nick (Killara, Cromer, Avondale, Pymble being key examples). Not saying there aren't ordinary courses on the north side though.
I've always thought that on my side of Sydney (the west) we're pretty spoilt for choice for solid courses, with my close to home favourites being Liverpool, Cabramatta and Macquarie Links (I'll throw Camden Lakeside in here too, I guess), and a little further afield Stonecutters Ridge, Ryde-Parramatta and Oatlands. I also enjoy playing the likes of Penrith, Glenmore Heritage Valley, Lynwood and Dunheved. Without having played the likes of Killara, Cromer, Avondale and Pymble, and merely by looking at the pics on their sites, the only courses in the west that may have a similar aesthetic vibe that I know of are Ryde-Parramatta and Oatlands. Have spent the last hour perusing the websites of those north side courses and geeking out. Great way to start the working week. Wish I was on a golf course RIGHT NOW....:(.
Mick is correct, it's a good course but quite hilly so lots of elevation changes, the walk up to the 18th green is steep so no wonder it's called Cardiac Hill.

IMHO the finishing holes 15-18 are the strongest of the layout and the greens are usually very good.

FuzzyJuzzy
18th April 2016, 12:53 PM

Not sure if I coined the phrase but I refer to it as the Shite Belt, Palm Beach, Avalon, Balgowlah, CastleCove, Northbridge, Cammeray, Lane Cove, Chatswood, Gordon and Turramurra.

Too funny:). I used to run past Cammeray and Northbridge when I used to work in Nth Sydney. They both look pretty shite... . We've more than a few of those out west too:).

FuzzyJuzzy
18th April 2016, 12:56 PM
Mick is correct, it's a good course but quite hilly so lots of elevation changes, the walk up to the 18th green is steep so no wonder it's called Cardiac Hill.

IMHO the finishing holes 15-18 are the strongest of the layout and the greens are usually very good.

How about the 18th at Wakehurst? Along the path you have to climb to get back to the clubhouse there's a rope you're meant to hold onto to hoist yourself up the hill. Hilarious!
I play at Cabramatta a fair bit, so no stranger to lots of elevation changes. I'll hit this bloke up for a round sometime. Thanks Gents.

Forecaddie
20th April 2016, 12:14 PM
Cromer the new greens are awesome and long and tight fairways and relatively flat. Plus now a special offer with no entrance fees! They are replacing the bunkers one by one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

westy
20th April 2016, 01:16 PM
Killara is fine. Not world class, and probably a notch or two below Avondale and Elanora, but if you live in the area then its lovely.

Jazz18
20th April 2016, 05:13 PM
How about the 18th at Wakehurst? Along the path you have to climb to get back to the clubhouse there's a rope you're meant to hold onto to hoist yourself up the hill. Hilarious!
I play at Cabramatta a fair bit, so no stranger to lots of elevation changes. I'll hit this bloke up for a round sometime. Thanks Gents.

Haven't played Killara FJ, but have heard good things. Don't confuse Cab as having elevation change compared to Killara from what I've heard. Been told you need one leg shorter than the other at Killara!

pt73
21st April 2016, 11:02 AM
Apart from the 17th which is a Par 3 I can't think another hole at Killara that's dead flat.

darkeststar07
21st April 2016, 07:58 PM
Killara is hilly and tight course. pt73 is right, 17th is the only flat hole on it. If your weakness is slope, you will struggle.

Greens are rather small.

I will not say it's better than the neighbouring courses but I certainly do not think the neighbouring courses are any better as well.

FuzzyJuzzy
21st April 2016, 08:21 PM
Killara is hilly and tight course. pt73 is right, 17th is the only flat hole on it. If your weakness is slope, you will struggle.Greens are rather small.I will not say it's better than the neighbouring courses but I certainly do not think the neighbouring courses are any better as well.Sounds heaps like Cabramatta...

Jazz18
21st April 2016, 08:43 PM
Sounds heaps like Cabramatta...

Or not........:)

Captain Nemo
21st April 2016, 09:38 PM
It's much "prettier" than Cabra

FuzzyJuzzy
21st April 2016, 09:47 PM
Or not........:)Dude - hilly, tight, small greens, that's what Cabra is ALL ABOUT. Ask Bluuey, he's a Cabra lifer:). I'm sure Killara is prettier.

Dotty
21st April 2016, 11:17 PM
I will not say it's better than the neighbouring courses but I certainly do not think the neighbouring courses are any better as well.

Gordon, Roseville and Chatswood? ;)

darkeststar07
22nd April 2016, 02:41 AM
Gordon, Roseville and Chatswood? ;)
Referring to the 3 courses around that area, Killara, Pymble, Avondale.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Jazz18
23rd April 2016, 08:50 PM
Dude - hilly, tight, small greens, that's what Cabra is ALL ABOUT. Ask Bluuey, he's a Cabra lifer:). I'm sure Killara is prettier.

I just meant Cabra is no where near as hilly as Killara. I've not played Killara but I've heard it's hillier than Pymble and Cabra is pretty flat compared to Pymble.

westy
24th April 2016, 09:46 AM
Regardless of the course, its a great old club.

Perhaps not as posh as it once was, but a great old atmosphere for wine and snooker

Yossarian
24th April 2016, 10:07 AM
Two of the most important aspects of any golf club.

Ron Burgundy
25th April 2016, 07:51 AM
This is all great info. I've just moved to that part of the world. Currently at Chatswood temporarily but will end up on the north shore somewhere. So the consensus is to avoid the shitebelt and stick to Pymble, Avondale and Killara?

What options are there for driving ranges anywhere near Chatswood or north shore? Is there anything decent open midweek nights closer than Thornleigh?

Sydney Hacker
25th April 2016, 08:25 AM
Pymble is a bit take it or leave it also, although it is a pretty good social club. Killers is also pretty good socially wise. Depending on where abouts you live Monash might be an option, a few guys I know from there seem to be moving there now.

Ranges on the north shore are pretty rare, Thornleigh, Terry Hills or the one at Pittwater are pretty much it. From Chatswood, would Moore park be an option?

Jerrymoo
25th April 2016, 08:39 AM
RB,

Killara, Pymble and Avondale are the best courses in the area. Depending on where you end up, Terrey Hills, Monash and a few others might be options, too.

As for driving ranges, from Chatswood you're limited to: Golf Paradise @ Terrey Hills, Pittwater Golf Centre @ Warriewood, and Thornleigh Golf Centre @ Thornleigh.

Jazz18
25th April 2016, 08:54 AM
This is all great info. I've just moved to that part of the world. Currently at Chatswood temporarily but will end up on the north shore somewhere. So the consensus is to avoid the shitebelt and stick to Pymble, Avondale and Killara?

What options are there for driving ranges anywhere near Chatswood or north shore? Is there anything decent open midweek nights closer than Thornleigh?

Avondale is a really nice track. Big dollars to join but not too exy for the type of club you're joining as far as yearly subs. Couch fairways that are like carpet every time I've played there. Very quiet as well. Feels a bit special when you go there.

westy
25th April 2016, 10:23 AM
Only two downsides to Avondale. can get a bit hot in summer as it is tucked down into those valleys.

And you might bump into John Howard in shorts

Jazz18
25th April 2016, 10:48 AM
Only two downsides to Avondale. can get a bit hot in summer as it is tucked down into those valleys.

And you might bump into John Howard in shorts

Last time I had a hit there, Johnny was in the group behind us. Forgot about that.

westy
25th April 2016, 12:28 PM
Probably preferable to bumping into the silver budgie at Bonnie Doon

Captain Nemo
25th April 2016, 12:29 PM
Probably preferable to bumping into the silver budgie at Bonnie Doon

Il be getting the pleasure of that soon....;)

darkeststar07
25th April 2016, 02:47 PM
The other thing about Avondale is there is no time sheet. You have to show up at the pro shop and hopefully there's a 3some coming along and there's when you get to play.

The regular players will have their 4some all ready to go at the time they preferred, especially on the weekends.

westy
25th April 2016, 04:26 PM
I wouldn't be too fussed about lack of time sheets. My club has roll up start on wedesday morn, and yes while there are a few cliques, it otherwise works well - walk on the practice green, ask who wants a game and there is always takers

Captain Nemo
25th April 2016, 04:44 PM
I wouldn't be too fussed about lack of time sheets. My club has roll up start on wedesday morn, and yes while there are a few cliques, it otherwise works well - walk on the practice green, ask who wants a game and there is always takers

Where do you play Westy?

westy
25th April 2016, 05:53 PM
Nowhere at the moment. Have shifted up north for a few years to work, so put the membership on hold

PerryGroves
26th April 2016, 10:46 AM
The other thing about Avondale is there is no time sheet. You have to show up at the pro shop and hopefully there's a 3some coming along and there's when you get to play.

The regular players will have their 4some all ready to go at the time they preferred, especially on the weekends.

Think they now do time sheets, we do reciprocal tee times at Avondale and reasonably sure we booked the last time we were up there.

Stupid concept anyway, when my course was getting dug up a few years ago we had times at Elanora. No time sheet, we turned up about midday and sat around for 45 mins because there were so many groups there.

FuzzyJuzzy
26th April 2016, 01:34 PM
A bloke who lives up at Willoughby but is a long-time member at Cumberland told me on the weekend that he thinks Cumberland is a better layout than Killara, which he has played. I haven't played Killara, so can't say. But Cumberland is okay, nothing massively special in the course design department I don't necessarily think...

westy
26th April 2016, 01:35 PM
Yes it really only works early morning midweek when things aren't crowded

PerryGroves
26th April 2016, 02:27 PM
A bloke who lives up at Willoughby but is a long-time member at Cumberland told me on the weekend that he thinks Cumberland is a better layout than Killara, which he has played. I haven't played Killara, so can't say. But Cumberland is okay, nothing massively special in the course design department I don't necessarily think...

Didn't know Paul Gow lived at Willoughby :lol:

Sydney Hacker
26th April 2016, 02:37 PM
A bloke who lives up at Willoughby but is a long-time member at Cumberland told me on the weekend that he thinks Cumberland is a better layout than Killara, which he has played. I haven't played Killara, so can't say. But Cumberland is okay, nothing massively special in the course design department I don't necessarily think...I would suspect the broke up the street could be heavily influenced by the annual subs also.

westy
26th April 2016, 04:44 PM
Given that Cumberland seems to have 16 straight parallel holes, I wonder what the appeal is. Would get a bit dizzy going back and forth

3oneday
26th April 2016, 04:52 PM
Yeah, nah.

FuzzyJuzzy
27th April 2016, 08:45 AM
I would suspect the broke up the street could be heavily influenced by the annual subs also.

The dude seemed pretty well enough off, so don't think it's that. Probably more so his thoughts reflect his 20-plus years as a Cumberland member. He used to live right behind the course, apparently. Cumberland is okay in my opinion, sits somewhere around Strathfield (both Cumberland and Strathfield I'd put a little below the likes of Carnarvon and Bankstown, and both of those I'd put below the likes of Liverpool and Cabramatta).
There's a thread to be started here (and I'll probably do so when I get a chance) on courses that are solid layouts but get let down by uninspired conditioning (usually due to lack of dough), and courses that are average/poor layouts but mask those design failings with superb conditioning (usually due to having shitloads of dough). And this discussion obviously then leads to a discussion about how much weight one gives to good course design versus good course conditioning. I'm sure we could go on for forever on this... . I better start that thread....

Captain Nemo
27th April 2016, 09:26 AM
Fuzzy I'm lost, are you looking at joining the club??

FuzzyJuzzy
27th April 2016, 10:12 AM
Fuzzy I'm lost, are you looking at joining the club?? Nah, not me Cap'n. Not on my humble journo wage:(. Between Liverpool or Cabra I'm pretty set.

Captain Nemo
27th April 2016, 10:18 AM
Ah, ok....,👍

LoveGolf2012
27th April 2016, 10:24 AM
Ah, ok....,[emoji106]

When do you start at BD buddy?Whats that worth a year for private?Just curious as to pricing compared to Melbourne clubs..

Captain Nemo
27th April 2016, 10:33 AM
Put paperwork in waiting for the email!
Yes, it's pricey but hey I'd rather play an immaculate course with a future and be happy every tom I play than be somewhere I'm not.
And it's only money, can't take it with you when you die!

LoveGolf2012
27th April 2016, 10:41 AM
Put paperwork in waiting for the email!
Yes, it's pricey but hey I'd rather play an immaculate course with a future and be happy every tom I play than be somewhere I'm not.
And it's only money, can't take it with you when you die!

I'm hearing you mate ✌️

westy
27th April 2016, 05:49 PM
Are Sydney prices expensive? I guess top tier sandbelt is something like $12-15k nom and $4500 per year. Top tier Sydney is probably higher nomination at places like the Oz.

pt73
27th April 2016, 06:12 PM
It really depends on the club, some have greatly reduced their entrance fees and others have changed their membership categories.

As an example Monash didn't have an entrance fee for ages but do now and also offer a range of membership categories.

There aren't many top tier clubs who don't offer payment options for the entrance fee.