PDA

View Full Version : Club Membership Perth ?south of river

ozgeorge
16th April 2016, 02:14 PM
Hi folks, thanks for reading this
I live in Victoria (don't hold that against me!) but we are trying to organise a membership for my father in law who is a Perth based mad keen golfer.
He lives south of the river and I am aware of a few private clubs but have no idea which ones are best?

could someone help point me in the right direction?

is royal perth golf club any good?
fremantle?

thanks in advance- any advice much appreciated!

george

Shadesy
16th April 2016, 05:19 PM
Depends how far south.

There is a huge selection about 40-50 mins south of Perth with not a lot in between.

Both royals are decent tracks but you will pay for them. Fremantle is a better layout and less likely to get killed by balls flying from opposite fairways. There might be waiting lists at Perth.

I think Royal Fremantle has a special on. Yossarian may know more.

simmsy
16th April 2016, 05:55 PM
What suburb or general area is he located?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ozgeorge
16th April 2016, 06:53 PM
They are in bullcreek but it doesn't necessarily have to be super nearby... prefer something really good. it's for a 60th bday present

simmsy
16th April 2016, 09:23 PM
Best course SOR is Royal Fremantle.
But it may not suit him, it's reasonably hilly and Kike meaning not an easy walk.
A lot of old guys prefer Melville Glades with it being flatter, couch and an easier track.

Choosing a course is a very personal choice depending on your gsme style what things you want from the course and club.

Royal Perth is a short course and dead flat, nice club house but not the best course.

If it was my choice and money not in question SOR

RF
MGGC
RP
Gosnells

But if he could travel north of river go to WAGC or Lake Karrinyup seeing as travel isn't a factor.

Yossarian
16th April 2016, 10:47 PM
RP is one of the best consistently conditioned course I've played in Perth. Clubhouse is great and the food/atmosphere is really enjoyable. The course is flat, pretty boring and quite tight.

RF is the most enjoyable layout for me SOR. Clubhouse is a little dingy/ staff seem super friendly. Can't comment too much more than that at this stage.

MGGC is a on par for layout with RP for me. Slightly more blue collar vibe which is no bad thing. Bonus for a Bull Creek resident being so close.

If money and travel time is no object LK is the obvious choice, nomination issues? Very hilly though. As is WAGC.

qbnchopper
17th April 2016, 12:12 AM
MGGC for closeness and flatness, RF for a little further away though a nice track. Gosnells is ok to though

simmsy
17th April 2016, 01:48 PM
U still need gum boots in winter at Gosnells though.

ozgeorge
17th April 2016, 03:02 PM
you guys have winter over there in the west??!

thanks for all the helpful replies people!

ok so south of the river its looking like melville or fremantle.

what about other courses further south like the port kennedy or dawesville courses? are they private courses or not really?

how hard is it to get nomination at karrinyup?

g

simmsy
17th April 2016, 03:57 PM
Gosnells is literally under water in winter on 2-3 fairways. The winter I was there they had wooden planks on the 12th fwy for u to walk on for about 3 months.

Port Kennedy is good track but not what your dad would be looking for.

There is s member on here at LK. Westy???

Someone else will know.
He will be able to give you info on membership.

wizard_of_oz
17th April 2016, 05:00 PM
Melville Glades is very near to Bullcreek, definitely a big plus for him so that he can pop out anytime for a sneaky 9 holes or use their chipping and putting greens. As guys have mentioned, the course is flat but it is still a good challenge and well manicured.

Yossarian
17th April 2016, 06:01 PM
Kennedy Bay is not really the course for your Dad imo. Travel time, it can be brutal, no shade in summer, wind is crazy at times. I love the track but it has a lot of issues.

Nothing down that way is really worth the drive. The Cut is an abortion. Meadow is fun but not sure I could do it every week, plus public access issues. Secret Harbor public access issues. Mandurah Country Club is a really nice track but a hell of a trek.

I think LK physically requires you to know members if you want to join.

rubin
17th April 2016, 06:52 PM
LK is by invitation only - and I'm told that they aren't taking any nominations for men at the moment. It's a painful process and requires a very big $$ investment too.

To get an invite, you need to be nominated and seconded by 2 existing members with at least 5yrs history at the club. Even then, it's no guarantee

wizard_of_oz
17th April 2016, 10:57 PM
The Cut is an abortion.

I think you mean abomination. Either way, I think it's good for something different to try but not something you would play more than a handful of times.

Johnny Canuck
17th April 2016, 11:33 PM
I think you mean abomination. Either way, I think it's good for something different to try but not something you would play more than a handful of times.

Because he doesn't have enough balls.

simmsy
18th April 2016, 12:09 AM
This isn't about me John!

TourFit
18th April 2016, 11:14 AM
LK requires a nominator and seconder (with 5yr+ membership) and then 5-6 referees also.

Oh... and a 12k nomination now, from what I've been told! :shock:

Yossarian
18th April 2016, 11:36 AM

No I meant abortion.

simmsy
18th April 2016, 11:45 AM
Yep.
I thought you got it spot on too.

TourFit
18th April 2016, 01:15 PM
Definitely spot on.

Although it is slightly disconcerting that I am agreeing with Yoss and simmsy! ;)

LeftyHoges
18th April 2016, 02:35 PM
No I meant abortion.

Yep.
I thought you got it spot on too.

Definitely spot on.

Although it is slightly disconcerting that I am agreeing with Yoss and simmsy! ;)

4th'ed!

westy
18th April 2016, 07:22 PM
Firstly you want to check your rainfall stats - Perth gets more rain in a year than Melbourne. We just get it all in a two week period it seems

Freo is a decent track but not sure what the hell is happening with the road. There have been plans for some time to widen Leach Hwy, which would have meant that they lost the car park and half the first hole and would have required major reno job and moving the clubhouse

But last I heard this week is that government is now committing to an alternative option involving a tunnel that will not require any widening of the hwy, so perhaps it may be ok. Still needs a chainsaw however. I think they are still planning to renovate the course, and if they do it will be a million miles ahead of Royal Perth as it really is a lovely piece of land - nice size, some good undulation and excellent drainage.

LK is pretty much closed shop unless you are well connected. You need 7 supporters and deep pockets and the new committee has just decided to reduce the number of male playing members to relieve pressure on the key comp days so that will make it even harder to get in I suspect. Basically the club is full and the bank account is very healthy, so there is no need to fling open the doors to the great unwashed. Its not impossible but you need to be serious about it and prepared to put in the work. And its a long way from south of the river.

Shadesy
18th April 2016, 08:20 PM
Melville Glades is very near to Bullcreek, definitely a big plus for him so that he can pop out anytime for a sneaky 9 holes or use their chipping and putting greens. As guys have mentioned, the course is flat but it is still a good challenge and well manicured.

Also if he wants a vanity handicap he can't play to elsewhere, this is the course for him.