PDA

View Full Version : The 'G Spot' Ping G Driver

Hard_Pan
9th April 2016, 12:35 PM
So I broke my G30 and was offered an upgrade which I kinda accepted begrudgingly. I'd read a couple of reviews and they weren't overly glowing and if anything were suggesting that there was not much difference between the old and the new.

The gear: Ping G 10.5* head with a Ping Tour 65 X stiff shaft playing at roughly 44 1/4".

Well just back from my first outing on the track with it and here is my take:

1. Sound - totally different. Where the G30 was kinda tinny and high pitched, this thing is lower on the register and definitely a beefier sound. Took me and my playing partners by surprise that's for sure.

2. Feel - similar to the G30 but maybe a bit hotter off the face also a bit more solid. I only hit one bad shot today and that was completely off the heel but there was no vibration up the shaft.

3. Forgiveness - definitely seemed more forgiving that the G30. Probably honeymoon but I hit 8/12 fairways and only one of the others was so wayward it was unplayable. Obviously, I will have a better idea after I've played a few rounds.

4. Distance - maybe a touch longer than the G30 (using exactly same shaft but 1/2 deg lower loft). Again, will need a few more rounds with it before I can say with any more certainty.

5. Control - well, this thing certainly seems a lot straighter than the G30 for me. I had the G30 dialled up to 11* which closes the face from the standard loft and this was straighter with the standard setting. Fading, not a problem, drawing - probably me. :)

Overall, given that I got this driver without really shopping for it, I must say that I am pleased and given the choice to go back, I would stay.

Wenz
9th April 2016, 02:31 PM
Glad it worked out for you.

davidw88
9th April 2016, 02:32 PM
I want to try the g ls tec. What is the rrp on these?

Hard_Pan
9th April 2016, 02:36 PM
I'm in SA and I've seen them around for around $480.00 (for the G), LS I would expect would be about $100.00 or so more.

davidw88
9th April 2016, 02:43 PM
Thats pretty good, cost me 450 just for the 3 wood. I think the 3 drivers are all usually the same price.

Hard_Pan
9th April 2016, 03:35 PM
The three different drivers with the stock standard shafts are all the same price I think. I've been told it's the tour shaft that usually comes with the LS model that makes it more expensive.

TheNuclearOne
9th April 2016, 05:54 PM
I am all over the Grafenberg LS like a fat kid on a cupcake. It was performing superbly with various shafts (GT70, HZRDUS 75, Kiyo Black etc etc etc) but really came into it's own first time out with a Rogue Silver 125MSI 70 last week. Nothing like the 110MSI excepting graphics and i can now see why they are so successful and prevalent on tour.

Totally agree it is a bit better feel and sound wise than the G30. Nothing amaze but an improvement. I also love the look at address, almost looks a teeny bit less cumbersome and it's a really straight topline that frames the ball well. I find it uber forgiving in the LS model amd spin is quite low.

Awesome driver. Ping is really getting it right with the big dog and hopefully any durability issues are now behind them.

rick3003
9th April 2016, 11:03 PM
What's the damage for these ?

TheNuclearOne
10th April 2016, 12:05 AM
No idea Rick, got my club due to a cracked i25 head. HP is the same, a replaced head.

pauly
12th April 2016, 01:51 PM
I have been gaming a G LS TEC with a BB7 for a month or so now, it's monsterous...

A mate of mine has a G30 LS with a bi-matrix proto in it and i took it for a round and it was brilliant, my left-miss 'over draw' simply didn't happen, it was like I felt like i had to hook it just get a little draw (purrrfect) - so I went a bought myself the G LS TEC and between the two mine goes further (noticably, hit some of the longest drives ive ever hit with the G) but I'd say his G30 went straighter - could've been the honey moon period of only using his for one round though!

Still no left miss for me though which is great. It's so straight that a toe hit just seems to block too which was weird at first.
Sound is similar to me, both loud obnoxious BANGs - I haven't tried either with a stock shaft though.

TheNuclearOne
12th April 2016, 04:24 PM
That's a helluva combo right there.

Hard_Pan
13th April 2016, 04:45 PM
Second hit out today with the G and I got to see the other side of the coin - how this handles when you're playing shite.

OK, still felt like it helped but really badly hit shots will still go really badly. :)

wazamac
13th April 2016, 05:36 PM
Operator malfunction?

Hard_Pan
13th April 2016, 06:03 PM
Operator malfunction? Most Definitely! :)

fredstar
13th April 2016, 06:25 PM
One of these G's will be my next purchase.

TheNuclearOne
13th April 2016, 06:44 PM
One of these G's will be my next purchase.

I see you pitted the G30 against the G30LS last year. Did you settle on a model and loft between them?

TourFit
14th April 2016, 11:19 AM
I bought a 'G Spot' driver the other day but damned if I can find it !!!

;)

goughy
14th April 2016, 12:16 PM
Ask your wife!

fredstar
15th April 2016, 08:47 PM
I see you pitted the G30 against the G30LS last year. Did you settle on a model and loft between them?

I stuck with the G30. Though it has since been sold. The LS wasn't for me, I didn't get along with it. Right now I am using a Nike TW Vapor driver that I absoulutely love but know that the G will be a wiser choice.

live4golf
16th April 2016, 07:03 AM
Picked up a g LS while in the US and it does sound better, performs same as the g30 for me.

Hard_Pan
23rd April 2016, 01:37 PM
Played with a stuffy head cold today and the G spot was the most consistent club in the bag.