PDA

View Full Version : Started upgrading, need some info for the next step

solidute
7th April 2016, 01:46 AM
So thanks to jazz18 I'm waiting for a set 3-P Callaway x22 tours.
A mate is giving me a dusty R7 driver he's had in the corner of his shed since he bought a new R11 for himself.

Growing up I was very keen, not skilled, about golf but knew the standard package in the bag consisted of 1,3,5 woods, 3-9 irons, S, P wedges and a putter now there are hybrids and all sorts of wedges and fancy putters to consider.

So irons and driver excluded, I'm wanting advice on the 3, 5 wood/ hybrid area plus should I sacrifice an iron or 2 for hybrids and is a P enough of a wedge for a "hack" like me? Our local country course has only 1 sand bunker that's pretty simple not that I've been in it yet but it's small and shallow.

My original putter I've had since I was 12 (22 or so years ago) or so and will need retirement soon but is good enough to be me by for now. That said I love the look of this style 40738
This is a new nicer looking version of my old putter 40739

Basically I'm asking is there a preference for putters or are they all a look and feel thing for the user?

Cheers

mrbluu
7th April 2016, 08:35 AM
Wow, this could get very expensive for u.

For me set up my kit from the bottom. What I mean is find out how far I hit my PW, then figure out the what wedges I need to go down the bag. For me my PW is 46* and I like 4* gaps, so my wedges are 50, 54 and 58*. For u, u will need to decided if u 4, 5 or 6* gaps that will dictate how many wedges u get. Other thing to consider is, the bounce and width of the sole, and whar suits u.

As for irons, go up to the longest iron u can comfortably hit and then buy either hybrids, driving irons or fairway woods to fit the gaps. The lofts themselves don't mean a whole heap, it's how far u hit each club and the gaps u want to fill.

As for u 3 wood, with the modern golf ball u will need more loft to help u launch the ball. Depending on your swing speed, u might find a 4 or 5 wood might be a better fw after your driver. They will be easier to hit as well.

I carry 4 wedges so I make room at the top of the bag by dropping the 3 iron, which should be around a 190, so I have a big gap between my 2UDI and 4 iron. I'm not good enough to consistently land a 3 iron and figure my wedges are my scoring range so I need more help.

As with your putter pick something that u can aim straight and the sole sits flat on the ground with u set up.

Hope this helps.

Captain Nemo
7th April 2016, 08:37 AM
Your over thinking it.
Just go out and play and enjoy the game.

LeftyHoges
7th April 2016, 10:40 AM
Welcome back to the game Solidute.

Decent set up for getting back into it there mate, I don't think you're far off the track.

If I were in your shoes, I wouldn't even bother with a 3 wood. Don't even think about it. Try and find yourself a nice, large headed 4 or 5 wood, something around 17-19° mark, then maybe a 22° or 23° hybrid. If you have to drop the 3 iron for the hybrid, then so be it. 3 irons are a bitch for a novice to hit. Hell, they're not easy for a teen 'capper to hit.

The PW in the X-22's is 46°, which is pretty strong loft. Try and find yourself a cheap 52° wedge somewhere (you can get a very decent second hand vokey or cleveland wedge for $50), and practice with that. If you can hit approaches with a 52°, you can hit them with any other club in your bag. Don't bother with anything higher lofted than that at this stage, it'll only get you into trouble.

If you're happy with the putter you have, keep it as long as you can. Putting is the perfect balance of skill and art. If you can put the ball in the hole with a rock tied to a stick, then use that. Otherwise, if you really want to get down into the nitty gritty, analyse your putts and what you're doing wrong. Do you tend to leave them short? If so, buy a heavier putter, vice versa for hitting them too hard, go with a lighter putter. Do you tend to miss one side more than the other? That's when you start to get into toe-hangs, and face balanced and all that jazz.

We're here to help with anything you need. Good luck out there!

solidute
7th April 2016, 12:53 PM
Dont think im over thinking it too much just looking to get a new-enough bit of kit to last me a while. 😆
I can't comment on distance hitting i have no idea how far I can hit with each club, the only gauge I have at my disposal is the local course (country green all year with scrapes) and a 15m x 15m patch of lawn in the backyard. Ive attached a few pics of what ill be keeping in the bag as ill have nothing "new" to fill the void otherwise.

My current 3W
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160407/5ec8872efecd912cb890538603c30646.jpg

My current putter
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160407/a1c3f746f483441da5bec7853aee3815.jpg
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160407/37178735e97dc49f3754182640f46eed.jpg

3Puttpete
7th April 2016, 01:02 PM
Wow, this could get very expensive for u.

For me set up my kit from the bottom. What I mean is find out how far I hit my PW, then figure out the what wedges I need to go down the bag. For me my PW is 46* and I like 4* gaps, so my wedges are 50, 54 and 58*. For u, u will need to decided if u 4, 5 or 6* gaps that will dictate how many wedges u get. Other thing to consider is, the bounce and width of the sole, and whar suits u.

As for irons, go up to the longest iron u can comfortably hit and then buy either hybrids, driving irons or fairway woods to fit the gaps. The lofts themselves don't mean a whole heap, it's how far u hit each club and the gaps u want to fill.

As for u 3 wood, with the modern golf ball u will need more loft to help u launch the ball. Depending on your swing speed, u might find a 4 or 5 wood might be a better fw after your driver. They will be easier to hit as well.

I carry 4 wedges so I make room at the top of the bag by dropping the 3 iron, which should be around a 190, so I have a big gap between my 2UDI and 4 iron. I'm not good enough to consistently land a 3 iron and figure my wedges are my scoring range so I need more help.

As with your putter pick something that u can aim straight and the sole sits flat on the ground with u set up.

Hope this helps.

Ignore almost all of this

Welcome back to the game Solidute.

Decent set up for getting back into it there mate, I don't think you're far off the track.

If I were in your shoes, I wouldn't even bother with a 3 wood. Don't even think about it. Try and find yourself a nice, large headed 4 or 5 wood, something around 17-19° mark, then maybe a 22° or 23° hybrid. If you have to drop the 3 iron for the hybrid, then so be it. 3 irons are a bitch for a novice to hit. Hell, they're not easy for a teen 'capper to hit.

The PW in the X-22's is 46°, which is pretty strong loft. Try and find yourself a cheap 52° wedge somewhere (you can get a very decent second hand vokey or cleveland wedge for $50), and practice with that. If you can hit approaches with a 52°, you can hit them with any other club in your bag. Don't bother with anything higher lofted than that at this stage, it'll only get you into trouble.

If you're happy with the putter you have, keep it as long as you can. Putting is the perfect balance of skill and art. If you can put the ball in the hole with a rock tied to a stick, then use that. Otherwise, if you really want to get down into the nitty gritty, analyse your putts and what you're doing wrong. Do you tend to leave them short? If so, buy a heavier putter, vice versa for hitting them too hard, go with a lighter putter. Do you tend to miss one side more than the other? That's when you start to get into toe-hangs, and face balanced and all that jazz.

We're here to help with anything you need. Good luck out there!

Do almost all of this. (Above)

When you're starting (or restarting) it's hard enough to consistently hit a golf ball where you want it to go. Let your equipment make the game as easy as you can.

If your 4 iron doesn't work, take it out. If your 5 and 6 irons don't work, take them out. It doesn't have to be forever. When you're happy withy our 7 iron put the 6 back in. It's better to have to hit 130 and 40 metre shots than it is to try to hit 170 and fail at 90% of them.

Hatchman
7th April 2016, 01:07 PM
Your not going to need too many lofted clubs >50° unless your going to play a few games on greens.
Putter is very much a feel and comfort thing. Playing sand greens you'll be better served with a heavier one than a light one.
As lefty said, go with a 4 or 5 wood over 3 wood. As for long irons v hybrids I have no advice here. Only after hitting both you'll know what works best for you.

That bunker on 6 is a bit deeper than shallow.

TourFit
7th April 2016, 01:24 PM
Putting is the perfect balance of skill and art.

Hence why you won the Jaybam award at Champs ;)

solidute
7th April 2016, 01:40 PM
That bunker on 6 is a bit deeper than shallow.

Yeah but is it worth me buying a wedge greater than P? thats is the question. im still yet to enter it so wouldn't know. And for the time being its the only one I'll have to worry about. my former home course of tumby bay had a few to be worried about but i managed to get out of them with my 9 iron as a junior.

Cheers for the replies guys, appreciated!

I'll probably keep the putter until I can get a new one past the minister for war and finance but ill look into a 4-5 wood and a hybrid or 2 until then

Hatchman
7th April 2016, 01:46 PM
Yeah but is it worth me buying a wedge greater than P? thats is the question. im still yet to enter it so wouldn't know. And for the time being its the only one I'll have to worry about. my former home course of tumby bay had a few to be worried about but i managed to get out of them with my 9 iron as a junior.

Cheers for the replies guys, appreciated!

I'll probably keep the putter until I can get a new one past the minister for war and finance but ill look into a 4-5 wood and a hybrid or 2 until then

Short answer yes.
Something around 54-56° with 10-12° of bounce should do the trick out of that one.
You playing in the Open in 2 weeks?

solidute
7th April 2016, 01:47 PM
Righto so ill put a wedge on the "to add" list

3Puttpete
7th April 2016, 01:47 PM
Yeah but is it worth me buying a ....

I stopped reading after this nonsense

solidute
7th April 2016, 01:49 PM
@3puttpete
With my budget and skill the only nonsense is...

my skill

davidw88
7th April 2016, 05:53 PM
I played sand greens for years and I never really hit anything over a 7 iron fully, unless I had to hit over a tree or something like that, With sand you are mainly just trying to run the ball up to the green. If you had a sand wedge after your pitching wedge you would be right and have something to chip with when playing grass greens and should be enough to get you out of the bunker.

solidute
14th April 2016, 02:50 PM
You playing in the Open in 2 weeks?

No. No comps for me until I feel better about my game. too many slices onto the highway or into the trees. Im a danger to others.

That said I was nearly hit twice today by an older lady so I don't feel so bad.

No fore or apology from her either which I wasn't happy about. she was playing 4 balls and not hitting any of them beyond 100m so was very slow, i waited patiently for 2 holes then she teed off her 4 balls, 1 of which nearly hit me on the other fairway, then waited by a tree for me to tee off and play through. then she nearly hit me again that same hole. Was glad to get a hole ahead after that.

Hit 83 off the stick my pb here 😆 not great though seeing as though I was only 4 over on the front 9

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

solidute
14th April 2016, 02:51 PM
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160414/d83ea7caad339a4e24265c93a6c455c9.jpg

Heres that bunker. All that talk of never being in it and look how close i got this time

Hatchman
15th April 2016, 02:33 PM
Back nine is more difficult than the front nine by at least 3-4 shots IMHO..

If you can shot 4 over on the front your more than ready enough to play comp.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

solidute
15th April 2016, 05:36 PM
There's only one hole that punishes a hook but many punish a slice. And that my friend is my enemy. I'm currently using new to me clubs as well so while I haven't gotten used to them yet i had some cracking shots and some embarrassing ones too like on hole 7 par 4 my tee shot finished about 2m from the scrape/sand green but on 5, 11 and 15 straight outta bounds

Hatchman
15th April 2016, 06:15 PM
Yes it's not RH player cut friendly.

Possible OB's on the right include.
2nd with tee shot, second and third.
4th with second.
5th with tee shot and second.
7th go long on par 3
10th with second.
11th with tee shot.
14th with tee shot.
15th with tee shot.
17th with tee shot.

I've done most of them in
2,4,5,10 and 11 some multiple times.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

solidute
16th April 2016, 04:10 PM
I also didn't mention that I had to work as well, joys of shift work.