PDA

View Full Version : The Safety Play

Yossarian
2nd April 2016, 04:47 PM
Hi All,

Yoss here, your bog standard low teens handicapper.

A public service announcement. Always hit driver off the tee. As Adam Scott said recently it is now the most forgiving club in the bag.

Unless there is water/OOB within your range, hit the ****ing driver.

Peace.

simmsy
2nd April 2016, 05:04 PM
Anything u want to share with us?

3Puttpete
2nd April 2016, 05:45 PM
I thought this was gonna be about uggos at 2am

G.K
2nd April 2016, 05:52 PM
This tip clearly worked yesterday. Lucky for me driver heads are so big these days. If I had used any other club off the tee on the first two holes, I would have had 2 air swings.

Thanks Yoss!

BenM
2nd April 2016, 06:04 PM
It's also the longest club in the bag so a bad swing tends to be worse than a bad swing with something shorter. My worst shot with a driver could be 80m offline, with a driving iron I will only just be in the trees.

highballin
2nd April 2016, 06:06 PM
Hmmm yeah well I took the 3wood out of the bag today because there is only 1 par 4 that I use it on. So 3/4 easy swing with driver and hit it straight through the fairway dead cold behind tree!

goughy
2nd April 2016, 07:03 PM
Hi All,

Yoss here, your bog standard low teens handicapper.

A public service announcement. Always hit driver off the tee. As Adam Scott said recently it is now the most forgiving club in the bag.

Peace.

My 2 fir's today and 11 snap hooks have me wanting to disagree with you, cept one of those snap hooks was taking an iron to play safe, and all I was was in the trees 100mtrs less down the fairway.

3Puttpete
2nd April 2016, 07:12 PM
Not hitting may also be an indicator of lack of testicles.

Hatchman
2nd April 2016, 07:56 PM
Not hitting may also be an indicator of lack of testicles.

Ah, the flange factor [emoji13]

sheezymaneezy
6th April 2016, 08:11 PM
Most forgiving club for pros. Does that include hacks?

LarryLong
7th April 2016, 06:09 AM
Blokes who randomly use a 3w off the tee are like blokes who take block on leg stump - they're just trying to tell the world that they know something nobody else does, but they really have no idea.

*I frequently take a wood or hybrid off the tee and hit it into the shit, so I may be a little bitter.

oldracer
7th April 2016, 06:25 AM
Blokes who randomly use a 3w off the tee are like blokes who take block on leg stump - they're just trying to tell the world that they know something nobody else does, but they really have no idea.

*I frequently take a wood or hybrid off the tee and hit it into the shit, so I may be a little bitter.guess I'm somewhere in between, always took block middle to leg

Ashes
7th April 2016, 08:36 AM

*I frequently take a wood or hybrid off the tee and hit it into the shit, so I may be a little bitter.

Two legs thanks ump.

LeftyHoges
7th April 2016, 09:12 AM
Didn't ****ing matter where I took it.

#useless

I do take hybrids off tees though.

mrbluu
7th April 2016, 09:28 AM
Didn't ****ing matter where I took it.

That's what she used to say :mrgreen:

highballin
7th April 2016, 07:43 PM
If you are playing a par 5 that you can't reach in 2 and driver brings a fairway bunker into play, I'd rather go 3wd, hybrid, short iron. Don't see the point unless you can get there in 2

markTHEblake
7th April 2016, 08:01 PM

I have been saying this ever since drivers started getting bigger, so from late 90's

It is not rocket science.

goughy
7th April 2016, 08:10 PM
Hitting them properly feels like it is though :(

3Puttpete
9th April 2016, 07:08 PM
Hmmm yeah well I took the 3wood out of the bag today because there is only 1 par 4 that I use it on. So 3/4 easy swing with driver and hit it straight through the fairway dead cold behind tree!

Update?

highballin
9th April 2016, 07:26 PM
Update?

Yes played 3wd today GIR & 3 putted! But someone fixed that for me:D

3Puttpete
9th April 2016, 07:32 PM
Should have hit driver into the rough

[emoji212]

damoocow
9th April 2016, 08:13 PM
My playing lesson yesterday gave me two swing things to work on [basic stuff] - and advice to play the game more aggressively in terms of more driver off the tee. I took that up today and hit driver on holes where I might normally hit a hybrid or even 4 iron off the tee for safety. End result was that more often than not I was in good position after my first shot and subsequently had my best round for about 6 months. My golf has been so defensive lately and so leaning towards avoiding the chance of mistakes that the negativity was resulting in appalling scores - after the lesson and today can't wait to get back on course.

davidw88
10th April 2016, 06:24 PM
I reckon taking driver off the tee helps a fair bit as long as the shit you get into isn't to severe when using driver. Its alot easier to hit wedges into greens than hitting mid irons and if you still hit it in the crap after using iron off the tee you are usually punished a bit more.

Yossarian
18th April 2017, 03:42 PM
Unless you are Simmsy on 8 at MGGC.

simmsy
18th April 2017, 03:50 PM
I hate golf

Slothman
20th April 2017, 02:24 PM
You still being a watery ass and laying up Simmsy???

grandmasterb
1st May 2017, 08:47 AM
What if you're currently hitting 3 wood further than driver Yoss, still take driver off the tee???

Johnny Canuck
1st May 2017, 11:55 AM
What if you're currently hitting 3 wood further than driver Yoss, still take driver off the tee???

Yoss can't hit 3 woods.

LeftyHoges
1st May 2017, 03:25 PM
Yoss can't hit 3 woods.
He can barely hit 1.

Ba dum, tish.

Yossarian
2nd May 2017, 04:45 PM
Cyber bullies.

Grandmasterb do what makes you happy is what I always say.

walks
5th July 2017, 01:33 AM

This is me, massive slice with the driver. 3w dead straight 75% of the time hitting the fairway. There is a fair few holes that require laying up to avoid a fairway bunker where I play so the 3w would need to come out 3 to 4 times round regardless.

Been working on my driver and I've just started hitting it straight. All I changed up was the ball position from inside heal to in front of toe by about 3cm. Looking forward to giving it a shot next game. As my irons are shit at the moment but the short game has improved I really need to get off the tee well to set myself up.

buzzman
4th November 2017, 11:15 PM
Anyone else slows down the swing to play it safe, whatever the club? i seem to hit the shits when I play it safe. Always.

Johnny Canuck
4th November 2017, 11:46 PM
Anyone else slows down the swing to play it safe, whatever the club? i seem to hit the shits when I play it safe. Always.

Don’t slow your swing.

Shorter backswing, full follow through.