PDA

View Full Version : Titleist 716 AP1 vs Srixon Z545 irons

Jazz18
1st April 2016, 05:49 PM
Just wondered if anyone apart from davidw88 has bagged these irons yet? I'm beginning to think about getting something a bit easier to hit and quite like the look and feel of these irons. Srixon Z545 irons have also caught my eye in the past. Any feedback/thoughts would be appreciated. Cheers.

3Puttpete
1st April 2016, 06:32 PM
There are certainly more helpful clubs than the 545s

davidw88
1st April 2016, 07:01 PM
What irons are you using at the moment? 545 are a fair bit more compact than 716 ap1

Jazz18
1st April 2016, 07:06 PM
What irons are you using at the moment? 545 are a fair bit more compact than 716 ap1

Rocking some tourstage CB irons at the moment. Similar in size to MP64's I guess. They are beautiful and feel really nice but wonder if something else might be a bit easier to use. I like the shape and size of the 545's and they would match my Z45 utility but the AP1's are pretty damn forgiving and look nice for what they are as well.

mrbluu
1st April 2016, 07:40 PM
Rocking some tourstage CB irons at the moment. Similar in size to MP64's I guess. They are beautiful and feel really nice but wonder if something else might be a bit easier to use. I like the shape and size of the 545's and they would match my Z45 utility but the AP1's are pretty damn forgiving and look nice for what they are as well.
Only if they help u putt and chip better.

3oneday
1st April 2016, 07:41 PM
Have seen first hand the forged ap1 716, now they're nice!

davidw88
1st April 2016, 07:51 PM

The 545 would be easily more forgiving than those. I am selling my Ap1 at the moment, the heads are just a bit big for me in the short irons. Prefered the 545 over them. Am using ping Ie1 at the moment.

wazandnic
1st April 2016, 08:19 PM
I reckon you'd be fine to rock the AP2's Rich? Or just go whole hog and get the T-MB's... I know a guy... ;)

FuzzyJuzzy
1st April 2016, 08:58 PM
T-MBs are sexy:). So are my 714CBs. If I were to go with an iron with a swag more help, AP1s would do the trick, for sure. I've used various models of Titleist CBs, MBs and AP2s and they've all been solid.

wazandnic
1st April 2016, 09:02 PM
I agree FJ. Have 714.CB's myself but all the love of the 716cbs and the T-MB's has got me thinking again!

AP2 supposedly the ducks... but the cb's getting touted as having the same forgiveness as the 714 model AP2's... and the T-MB's well the looks of a MB but forgiveness in between AP1 And AP2, whats not to like there?!

3Puttpete
1st April 2016, 09:23 PM
The 545 would be easily more forgiving than those.

Wow

davidw88
1st April 2016, 09:32 PM
Wow

I ment to his current irons.

3Puttpete
1st April 2016, 09:34 PM
I ment to his current irons.

Ahhhh. Makes more sense now [emoji2]

Jazz18
2nd April 2016, 10:31 AM
Have seen first hand the forged ap1 716, now they're nice!

I'd forgotten about them. I checked TSG and they're sold out. THANK GOD! They do look really nice but exy.

I reckon you'd be fine to rock the AP2's Rich? Or just go whole hog and get the T-MB's... I know a guy... ;)

Don't do that Waz. I was trying not to think of the full set of T-MB's. They are still available and exy too. At over $300 a club, I would need to be sure I want them. Would need to using them for a long time to make it worth it and I'm not sure I trust the ho in me.

The 545 would be easily more forgiving than those. I am selling my Ap1 at the moment, the heads are just a bit big for me in the short irons. Prefered the 545 over them. Am using ping Ie1 at the moment.

Thanks David. Have been tempted by the 545's in the past so they are still on the radar. I just wondered if they just went too far and wouldn't leave me huge gaps at the short end of my set.

T-MBs are sexy:). So are my 714CBs. If I were to go with an iron with a swag more help, AP1s would do the trick, for sure. I've used various models of Titleist CBs, MBs and AP2s and they've all been solid.

Thanks FJ. I've always been a fan of their MB's but not so much the CB or AP2's. Don't know why but just never seem yo hit them well. Hearing Waz say that the 716 CB is said to be as forgiving as the 714 AP2 is intriguing too. They look very nice but may defeat the purpose of what I'm thinking off.

Thanks guys, all food for thought.

wazandnic
2nd April 2016, 10:59 AM
You're probably on top of it... but Dummonds have a 20% off most stuff Masters Sale... including Titty irons at the moment! ;)

Also Pm sent 8)

kiwitown
2nd April 2016, 04:18 PM
Jazz my mate I have played golf with four 8 years purchased a set of 716 AP1s 6 weeks ago ,they are noticeable bigger than my 710AP 2s. In saying that when you put them down behind the ball they instill a real sense of confidence in your swing. I found I hit them a club longer than the 2s and don't have any issues when it comes to getting the desired ball flight you want. It's the first time I have ever looked twice at the larger heads and thought these could really be a serious option for me.. But if you buy them get them fitted as my mate went through a few shafts before he was happy..

Jazz18
2nd April 2016, 07:56 PM
You're probably on top of it... but Dummonds have a 20% off most stuff Masters Sale... including Titty irons at the moment! ;)

Also Pm sent 8)

Thanks mate. Yeah tested them in Drummonds yesterday and saw the 20% off. The bigger is that it's floor stock only and I'd need different shafts than the noodles in the stuff off the rack. My local Drummonds looks after me though so I'm in no rush which is good.

Jazz my mate I have played golf with four 8 years purchased a set of 716 AP1s 6 weeks ago ,they are noticeable bigger than my 710AP 2s. In saying that when you put them down behind the ball they instill a real sense of confidence in your swing. I found I hit them a club longer than the 2s and don't have any issues when it comes to getting the desired ball flight you want. It's the first time I have ever looked twice at the larger heads and thought these could really be a serious option for me.. But if you buy them get them fitted as my mate went through a few shafts before he was happy..

Nice Kiwi. Sounds like you're quite happy with them. I've not considered bigger irons for a little while now (unless you call Z545's big) but the AP1's look pretty nice for a bigger iron. Next to my tourstage irons they are massive but I'm sure it wouldn't take long to get used to the bigger club head. Thanks for the advice mate. I'm not sure who would fit me in Sydney as the fitters from Titleist do the fittings most of the time and if I'm being honest, I don't really think they know what they are doing. The last time I was fitted by one of them, he needed to refer to a guide book from Titleist to guide him through the process and at the time, he wasn't new to the job. Still not sure they are what I want but seem to be the best in that sort of category. They were very easy to hit and very consistent distance control.

JADO75
2nd April 2016, 09:42 PM
Jonny Beech from Titleist will do your fitting at Camden Lakeside for nix & definitely knows his stuff. He is quite possibly the nicest bloke you will ever meet too.

Jazz18
2nd April 2016, 10:31 PM
Jonny Beech from Titleist will do your fitting at Camden Lakeside for nix & definitely knows his stuff. He is quite possibly the nicest bloke you will ever meet too.

Thanks Jado, I'll check it out.

Huynhie
3rd April 2016, 12:25 AM
I game the z545's and absolutely love them. Think the feel is sensational and quite forgiving. Fits my eye well too. Good looking aesthetically but also quite thin for the type of clubs they are

razaar
3rd April 2016, 02:23 AM
Srixon would be my choice. Titleist (even in AP 1) are more suited to the better chopper. ☺

TheNuclearOne
3rd April 2016, 02:11 AM
The Z 545 actually have a smaller profile and noticably less offset than the AP1. They are actually extremely close to the AP2 offset wise. They would sit somewhere in between the Ap1 and AP2 overall, cruising the gap between GI and players irons. The surprising thing about the 545 is just how forgiving they are considering their size.

FuzzyJuzzy
3rd April 2016, 08:40 AM
In the pro shop at my club yesterday morning I compared the 716AP1 and 716AP2. Obviously the AP2 head was more compact with a slimmer top line, but I was surprised at just how neat and tidy the AP1 head looked at address. It's definitely more compact than previous AP1 models. I'd be keen on giving it a hit myself actually, not that I'm in any position to buy at the moment. I'm sure the Srixon irons are very solid too, so probably can't go wrong either way Jazz.

Jazz18
3rd April 2016, 09:27 AM
In the pro shop at my club yesterday morning I compared the 716AP1 and 716AP2. Obviously the AP2 head was more compact with a slimmer top line, but I was surprised at just how neat and tidy the AP1 head looked at address. It's definitely more compact than previous AP1 models. I'd be keen on giving it a hit myself actually, not that I'm in any position to buy at the moment. I'm sure the Srixon irons are very solid too, so probably can't go wrong either way Jazz.

I agree FJ. Apart from the Srixon, the AP1 is the on GI iron I've seen that, from a visual standpoint, is decent. I'm normally a small, no offset, slimy topline kinda guy but when you move into GI irons you have to make some compromises. The Z545's are a really nice looking stick but just concerned about the sound the last time I hit them. Can't stand an iron that is clicky and the Z545 felt clicky the last time I hit it and the AP1's don't at all. Very solid.

Jazz18
3rd April 2016, 09:29 AM
The Z 545 actually have a smaller profile and noticably less offset than the AP1. They are actually extremely close to the AP2 offset wise. They would sit somewhere in between the Ap1 and AP2 overall, cruising the gap between GI and players irons. The surprising thing about the 545 is just how forgiving they are considering their size.

I here you TNO. I've been a fan of the Z545 for a while now and they do perform their socks off. Still definitely in the melting pot for now.

TheNuclearOne
3rd April 2016, 10:21 AM
Can't stand an iron that is clicky and the Z545 felt clicky the last time I hit it and the AP1's don't at all. Very solid.

You've probably answered your own question here. The 545 feel great to me but i have a history with clicky irons LOL

Performance wise i reckon the 545. I've read a lot of comparisons and the vast majority went for the 545 over the AP1 and the CF16 was also immensely popular. If they weren't so much coin right now i'd give the CF16 a crack, what a great iron.

Jazz18
3rd April 2016, 01:35 PM
You've probably answered your own question here. The 545 feel great to me but i have a history with clicky irons LOL

Performance wise i reckon the 545. I've read a lot of comparisons and the vast majority went for the 545 over the AP1 and the CF16 was also immensely popular. If they weren't so much coin right now i'd give the CF16 a crack, what a great iron.

Yeah you're probably right. In my own mind right now the preference is the tittys but I've had the Z545 on the course before and it was nice. I think I'll have to get them both outside on grass and hit them side by side. Sometimes clubs sound a lot different outside to what they do inside so the Srixon might not have that really loud sound outside. Then I might get closer to an answer and if it was the Srixons, they are even closer to the look I prefer.

Hatchman
3rd April 2016, 08:09 PM
Sounds like what you really need is some JDM Titty VG3's

Jazz18
3rd April 2016, 10:40 PM
Sounds like what you really need is some JDM Titty VG3's

Yeah, have looked into them before. Might have to revisit them as well, thanks.

Hatchman
4th April 2016, 10:10 AM
This one not the older ones.

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160404/52386df2f39066fc669cd482a3732f0d.jpg

Deester
4th April 2016, 02:17 PM
This one not the older ones.

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160404/52386df2f39066fc669cd482a3732f0d.jpg

That's the 2014 model ... Very nice irons IMO, kind of wish I didn't sell mine.

wazandnic
19th April 2016, 11:44 AM
Interesting vid for you Rich:

http://www.golfwrx.com/371172/crossfield-challenging-common-beliefs-about-blade-and-game-improvement-irons/

Jazz18
19th April 2016, 07:43 PM
Interesting vid for you Rich:

http://www.golfwrx.com/371172/crossfield-challenging-common-beliefs-about-blade-and-game-improvement-irons/

Thanks Waz. This article almost made this thread redundant for me! I saw this the other day and found it very interesting. So surprised that the distance drop off wasn't that different. I wonder if it would be similar in say a 15 marker with possibly bigger strike dispersion. When I hit the AP1's the other day, they were easy to hit, and they look really nice on the shelf/in the bag, I don't think I'm ready to drop a grand on big clubs just yet.

Wenz
19th April 2016, 09:16 PM
Some good bargains on facebook page for some Z545s and 545/745 combo set.

kiwitown
19th April 2016, 09:22 PM
Some good bargains on facebook page for some Z545s and 545/745 combo set.

Went g
Do you have a link to at page?

davidw88
19th April 2016, 09:26 PM
Went g
Australian golf buy swap sell has a few sets

kiwitown
19th April 2016, 09:31 PM
Thanks David..

Wenz
19th April 2016, 10:54 PM
Yes thats the one

Jazz18
19th April 2016, 10:57 PM
Went g

What about the yammys mate?

oldracer
20th April 2016, 06:37 AM
What about the yammys mate?think he's just going to look at them 8)

Jazz18
20th April 2016, 10:16 AM
think he's just going to buy them as well 8)

FTFY