PDA

View Full Version : Best shaft - a brief comparision

andylo
12th May 2006, 02:36 PM
Just did up my research on shafts and condensed it a little.

http://www.filefactory.com/?edba2a

You can always pay extra to get the most extreme and exotic shaft but while we are a bunch of crap golfer <-- not a playing pro embracing this site, I believe the MBFYB (Most Bang For Your Buck) shaft is probably a wiser choice

MBFYB R flex Driver shaft - Grafalloy Pro Launch Blue
MBFYB R flex Fairway Wood shaft - Aldila NVS

MBFYB S flex Driver shaft - Aldila NV
MBFYB S flex Fairway Wood shaft - Grafalloy Prototype Matrx

MBFYB X flex Driver shaft - Aldila NV
MBFYB X flex Fairway Wood shaft - Grafalloy Prototype Matrx

* How I choice the best shaft is base on myself :p Driver shaft has to have higher launch angle with lower spin rate, while the fairway shaft has lower torque but still have a good spin rate to keep to ball in the air.

* Note: According to book of Tom Wishon there are no standard way yet to measure the torque and flex. But I can only put down whatever they say on their spec. sheet. Bare this in mind.

* Most of prices are base on Ben's website.... if I can't find the price I look it up on ebay US for BIN price and change it to AUD dollars. All are just approx

andylo
12th May 2006, 02:37 PM
Any welcome for any comment and correction with black and white evidence.

peter_rs
12th May 2006, 02:52 PM
Alo it depends on your swing.

MBFYB would be a TT rocket shaft at $40
MBFYB a graman 440 & 540 are good shafts at under $100.
MBFYB harisson shafts are ok if you like them and around $100.

Whats wrong with good old steel.

Toolish
12th May 2006, 03:03 PM
Andy...how did you come up with launch angle and spin rate figures?

andylo
12th May 2006, 03:07 PM
nothing wrong with steel but just doing graphite comparision here.

Beside not much you can choice from steel... there're only 4 foundry rich enough to produce steel shaft anyway

On the other hand graphite shaft are cheaper to produce and the market is way more competitive.

TT rocket's torque is rated at 4.0 and its an old product.

Graman 440 & 540 are pretty good on spec except the gross weight of end product has too much vary from shaft to shaft.

Harisson are ok but according the spec the Grafalloy and Aldila seems more advance. Plus with the user review I have read ppl who used both brand before G or A rather than H.

andylo
12th May 2006, 03:09 PM
Andy...how did you come up with launch angle and spin rate figures?

Reading specs on web, paper, ring up and even ask a club fitter when I have chance.

Its a rather summarized summary. If you find it wrong please correct me with evidence. Not that I don't believe you, I just want to keep my research update and accurate.

peter_rs
12th May 2006, 03:22 PM
Alo the red rocket is a old shaft but common the Bimatrix is a current shaft.

Why are all the shafts mid (to low) torque? 4.0 is fine (great at low SS).

What about light weight shafts? Like X under 65g.

Its a good effort Alo but very narrow view.

graman is weight at cpm certified if its not with tolerance you get money back. By the way Aldila don't do this and they are always off spec.

andylo
12th May 2006, 03:40 PM
Pete,

I know the Rocket and the Proto BiMatrx coming from the same concept... but old is old new is new. Lets don't mind the 4.0 torque as there's no standard on measuring tourque anyway. But I am quite sure the Proto BiMatrx will perform more consistently than the old Rocket.

I find most ppl who can swing X flex would pefer to use a 85 gram shaft or even above... to gain a better control. Plus there're not many 65gram and below shaft which flexed at X have true CPM of X with the tipping recommendation from the factory... and I believe if you tip it too much you destory the original charateristic of the shaft.

For the Graman... I don't know enough about it but I am sure another underated brand - SKFiber produce much better shaft than them.

Unfortunately I don't have the luxury to try EVERYTHING on the market, I can only try what's available on the market (or on the course) most of the time.

As I said its a brief comparision only. The actual sheet is much larger (also poor formatted) and I bet no one want to see that crap ;)

Toolish
12th May 2006, 04:26 PM
Reading specs on web, paper, ring up and even ask a club fitter when I have chance.

Its a rather summarized summary. If you find it wrong please correct me with evidence. Not that I don't believe you, I just want to keep my research update and accurate.

Interesting that you torque about no standard for torque, but then trust web pages and the like for launch angle and spin rate...

Fishman Dan
12th May 2006, 05:16 PM
I think we've 'progressed'* to the point where only 1 OzGolfer can't hold back from posting to debate A-Lo's 'research'* results..

* Term used loosely

andylo
12th May 2006, 05:26 PM
:)

Well Toolish I can't help. Its not my fault there's no standard way to measure the torque.

Except the Ozik and Proto Matrx I have try all the shaft I listed (plus more) extentsively so I can come up with these launch angle and spin rate.

Its no way 100% accurate but just some rough idea.

Toolish
12th May 2006, 05:54 PM
Sorry Fish...could not help it...I will stop now

3oneday
12th May 2006, 06:37 PM
I think we've 'progressed'* to the point where only 1 OzGolfer can't hold back from posting to debate A-Lo's 'research'* results..what did he say ????

peter_rs
12th May 2006, 07:09 PM
Alo,

Your a nice guy but do more research SK fibre (& Ozik) are not cheap. & graman is not crap (do yourself a favour and buy one). There are lots of X flex models under 65g. they can break 50g. And no one plays a heavier shaft then they can control & like the feel off.

Where do you get this stuff...

I find most ppl who can swing X flex would pefer to use a 85 gram shaft or even above... to gain a better control. Plus there're not many 65gram and below shaft which flexed at X have true CPM of X with the tipping recommendation from the factory...

terryand
12th May 2006, 07:16 PM
May I quote you Pete(3oneday).......:-#

Terry.

3oneday
12th May 2006, 07:20 PM
May I quote you Pete(3oneday).......:-#

Terry.:-#

Well said sir....

gazgolf1
12th May 2006, 08:18 PM
Pete,

I find most ppl who can swing X flex would pefer to use a 85 gram shaft or even above... to gain a better control.

True statement.

I for one think that a lot of what you are saying is true Andy.

ren
14th May 2006, 07:35 PM
YS6 and 7 graphite design shafts are very popular on tour, and are pretty cheap too!

Virgal_Tracy
15th May 2006, 12:10 PM
:)

Well Toolish I can't help. Its not my fault there's no standard way to measure the torque.

Except the Ozik and Proto Matrx I have try all the shaft I listed (plus more) extentsively so I can come up with these launch angle and spin rate.

Its no way 100% accurate but just some rough idea.

In no way am I going to rain on your parade here Andy but I'm guessing that you have not tested all of the shafts mentioned in the same head and if you have disregard anything that follows.

If they haven't been tested in the same head I would question the launch angles and spin rates as they will obviously vary with different makes of heads and different lofts.

andylo
15th May 2006, 12:42 PM
For the shaft result thing I tested it with the same head of course :)

SMT Spectrum 9*

Peter: this is nothing to do with I am a nice guy or not :lol: If you think I am wrong and you have the prove then I am wrong :D

I have ordered 2 graman for a trial now :) Hopefully it will come soon.

The reason I am doing this rubbish because me and my another friends who are not on this board want to try to find out which is the best value shaft available on the market.

But none of us are very good golfer, all we can do it just talking geeks on golf :lol:

No offence will be taken. If you can point out what I said is wrong with a prove I will be more happy :) So I can update my spreadsheet

peter_rs
15th May 2006, 01:13 PM
alo which graman's?

LD may be a different world to golf but I stand by what I said

andylo
15th May 2006, 01:22 PM
No worries man :)

You been trying the amount of equipments no less than me, if not more :)

Any opinion is welcome :) so don't worry too much

As I said I am doing my statistic, research kinda thing here. No pride and ego involved. Fact and Real figures are more important.

I order both UL540 and UL640.... Regular and Spine marked Netural :)

Oh by the way, the SKFiber only about USD$10 - $15 more expensive than graman.

But it is still more expensive :)

peter_rs
15th May 2006, 01:40 PM
how much did you pay for the graman's? $39 US?

andylo
15th May 2006, 01:44 PM
$52 and $65... add $5 each for the spine marking.

peter_rs
15th May 2006, 01:49 PM
what site did you order from?

andylo
15th May 2006, 01:50 PM
Lowpro

andylo
15th May 2006, 01:50 PM
http://www.lowprogolf.com/LOWPRO_Shaft_Component.cfm?ShaftType=Woods&Material=Graphite&ShaftBrand=Graman

Jarro
15th May 2006, 02:36 PM
ALo ... where does the Fujikura Speeder 757 rate on the ALo scale ??

thinking of getting one for my new driver ;)

andylo
15th May 2006, 02:38 PM
Exotic shaft that's expensive. Not the best value all round performer but it hits almost the best on most of the aspect.

ben
16th May 2006, 02:03 PM
AndyLo,

You gotta try an Accra :)

andylo
16th May 2006, 02:34 PM
ben, I got a SC75 M4 in my 3 wood :)

Also had a SC65 before, I managed to snap it :(

Tried the SE80 too... its a great shaft.

Would be nice to able to get a couple more Accra again with the price you offered to me last time :)

gazgolf1
16th May 2006, 05:58 PM
Andy,
Does the Graffalloy Pro Launch really help increase your launch angle with the driver?
What loft have you got in your Comp?
I'm interested in getting some jarro height on my drives.;)

ben
16th May 2006, 06:19 PM
Gaz,

The prolaunch has a very soft tip section to it which helps launch the ball. The only problem is it feels a little boardy given its low torque. The Accra Tour is very similar in terms of launching the ball high, it is also very low in torque but has a active tip which feels much more lively. The Accra will also punch out lower spin balls than the Prolaunch.

gazgolf1
16th May 2006, 07:25 PM
Thanks Ben....I'm currently using an NV-65 in a G2 and even though it's got it's knockers the NV works well for me...just looking for a higher launch.Thinkin about a Launcher Comp in 10.5 degree.

Jarro
16th May 2006, 07:34 PM
go the 10.5* Gaz, you don't need to raise your trajectory that much.

I'll give you a hit with the 10.5* 300Tour when i get the BiMatrix in it ;)

peter_rs
2nd June 2006, 11:26 AM
Alo have you got to try the graman shafts yet?

andylo
2nd June 2006, 11:45 AM
Sold them already... not working for me at all so crap for me.

BrisVegas
3rd October 2006, 12:28 PM
ben/andylo/pete etc etc...

What's your assessment of the following (stiff) shafts, as factory-fitted to a 905R???

GD YS-6+
Aldila NV
ProForce V2
Graf Blue
Accra SC75 M4

3oneday
3rd October 2006, 12:39 PM
GD YS-6+ = crap
Aldila NV = good
ProForce V2 = don't know
Graf Blue = would love to try it
Accra SC75 M4 = don't know
;)

BrisVegas
3rd October 2006, 12:48 PM
EDIT - woops, hadn't noticed your comments! Thanks.

Anyone think the Accra is worth the money???

3oneday
3rd October 2006, 01:30 PM
Anyone think the Accra is worth the money???Ben does :)

peter_rs
3rd October 2006, 01:58 PM
GD YS-6+=Good but soft
Aldila NV= Good if you get the pick of the litter and installed properly
ProForce V2=Has a lot of kick.... note that the V2 in most R are the 76g which is much better then the 67g in the hi-bore
Graf Blue=Cann't go wrong.... however it will be a NT comp in R (which is designed to replace the blue)
Accra SC75 M4=Nothing great.... Aldila

BrisVegas
3rd October 2006, 02:14 PM
GD YS-6+=Good but soft
ProForce V2=Has a lot of kick.... note that the V2 in most R are the 76g which is much better then the 67g in the hi-bore
Graf Blue=Cann't go wrong.... however it will be a NT comp in R (which is designed to replace the blue)

thanks for the comments Pete. You can actually get non-comp NT's from factory in the 905R. I'm only interested in the normal Blue.

I've noticed the V2 seemed quite "lively" and that's the shaft i'm leaning towards. Just that I've seen a lot of the GD's around and wondered what they were like. The pro I played with at city was hitting his nicely, first decent golfer I've seen use one...

Have you tried an Accra in a 905R? They're getting good wraps on tour, fwiw...

Do you know if Drummonds in the valley has these shafts available to demo?

andylo
3rd October 2006, 02:15 PM
GD YS-6+=Good but soft

Generally agree with Peter except on V2 and Accra.
V2 - never like it. It seems like it got a specific tempo to swing it right... and I don't swing at that tempo. Will going to try a 90-lish gram tour issue V2 in 1 week time :)

Accra - its a very boring shaft... and its exactly why I like it. If you have a pretty consistent tempo (both fast/slow) and wants your shaft will perform everytime the same, its the one. It won't give you any surprises on distance (both good and bad side) but it will only perform exact the same from your last swing. (assume they are pretty much same swing)

By the way also tried a Japanese version GDs and Fujikura-ssss when in HK ;) Very soft but yet consistent shaft.

andylo
3rd October 2006, 02:17 PM
thanks for the comments Pete. You can actually get non-comp NT's from factory in the 905R. I'm only interested in the normal Blue.

I've noticed the V2 seemed quite "lively" and that's the shaft i'm leaning towards. Just that I've seen a lot of the GD's around and wondered what they were like. The pro I played with at city was hitting his nicely, first decent golfer I've seen use one...

Have you tried an Accra in a 905R? They're getting good wraps on tour, fwiw...

Do you know if Drummonds in the valley has these shafts available to demo?

I know they only got the GDs.... don't remeber I saw 905R in blue when I visit before I leave for HK.

peter_rs
3rd October 2006, 02:34 PM
I've noticed the V2 seemed quite "lively" and that's the shaft i'm leaning towards.

The V2 is lively but the extra weight of the 7070 & 8080 that the R uses is more controllable then the 6060 in hi-bores.

I could be wrong but you should not find the blue in a new R as they have stopped making them. Some demo's have Blue shafts becuase they are old stock. On ebay they list pro-launch as a blue.

GD could work for you as alo said you have to be smooth with it.

You will be lucky to get a demo out of drummond anymore, they get you in the nets

BrisVegas
3rd October 2006, 02:39 PM
nets is fine. launch monitors are useful. Vic Park may have something to try out too. I should have had more of a go at the Demo night the other week. honestly, I only tried the V2 shafted 905R and flushed it, so didn't bother with anything else!

I'll take your word for it on the Blue shafts, you're the guru.

peter_rs
3rd October 2006, 02:44 PM
Then get the V2 you will love it in the R. Launchies are good. Vic park do have some gear but lend there gear to local pro's so you have to call first. It not long before the next demo night anway (Thursday night).

The Demo night was fun.

Go the V2

and if you don't like it I can get it. :)

BrisVegas
3rd October 2006, 02:48 PM
Go the V2

and if you don't like it I can get it. :)

I was actually hoping you'd buy one, then I could pick it up cheap when you're done with it next week... :smt002

peter_rs
3rd October 2006, 02:50 PM
I almost got one today. but went with someting else because you were looking at them.:)

opps

BrisVegas
3rd October 2006, 02:51 PM
I almost got one today. but went with someting else because you were looking at them.:)

opps

lol. Is Tuesday your "New Driver Day" ??? :mrgreen:

peter_rs
3rd October 2006, 02:54 PM
Specials Day (anything traded over the weekend)-Monday
Putters-Tuesday
Drivers-Tuesday
Wedges-Wednesday
Irons-Thursday

Friday return anything that didn't work and is under a week old....

I'm a well planned Ho.

BrisVegas
16th October 2006, 07:41 AM
peter_rs - after hitting that Graf Blue Tour 90-S of yours yesterday.... can you explain to me what it's "supposed" to do for me and why I was struggling for control with it???

Just trying to edumacate meself 'tis all....

shazza_rs
16th October 2006, 12:59 PM
He could take a little while to respond as he is in adelaide for work

Jarro
16th October 2006, 03:52 PM
I'm sure you'll love the Accra BrisVegas ... it feels like a very solid shaft that kicks nicely 8)

I'd offer you a hit with my driver but i know you have an allergic reaction to TM products ;)

Webster
16th October 2006, 04:49 PM
This may be Andylo's single best thread ever...the humble 22 handicapper providing advice on shafts based upon his own "research".

dc68
16th October 2006, 04:51 PM
Ah jack, now we know who your hero is with that avatar.

Jarro
16th October 2006, 05:05 PM
Ron is old news .... the baton has been passed

dc68
16th October 2006, 05:14 PM
Ron is old news .... the baton has been passed

Are you sure it was a baton...I would have said bat.:shock:

Ducky
16th October 2006, 06:21 PM
This may be Andylo's single best thread ever... the humble 22 handicapper providing advice on shafts based upon his own "research".
I had to laugh.

:lol:

Jarro
16th October 2006, 06:27 PM
This may be Andylo's single best thread ever...the humble 22 handicapper providing advice on shafts based upon his own "research".

We're still waiting for your reviews Jack ???

BrisVegas
16th October 2006, 07:31 PM
I'm sure you'll love the Accra BrisVegas ... it feels like a very solid shaft that kicks nicely 8)

I'd offer you a hit with my driver but i know you have an allergic reaction to TM products ;)

yeah hope so Jarro. Prob best if I don't try yours, don't wanna end up lusting after a TM driver after all these years on the Titleist bandwagon... :smt002

Pete's Tour 90 thingo felt a little crazy yesterday partly because it was so bloody long. It was 2+ inches longer than poidda's R7.... I was gripping it down to the end of the grip!

peter_rs
16th October 2006, 08:20 PM
BV give it a week and you would feel at home.