PDA

View Full Version : Anyone converted a belly putter into a counterbalanced putter?

olddogmike
26th March 2016, 12:47 PM
I have got a belly putter and have been thinking of cutting the shaft down and fitting a counterbalanced grip. Has anyone ideas of how to remove the two part grip without destroying it?

simmsy
26th March 2016, 03:38 PM
why do you need to preserve it?

can't use belly putter anymore.

goughy
26th March 2016, 05:38 PM
I had the same sort of grips, but converted mine to a short putter before then having to extend it to a counter balanced. Just cut mine off, figured they were worth nothing now days anyway.

olddogmike
27th March 2016, 05:46 PM
why do you need to preserve it?

can't use belly putter anymore.ATM the shaft is 48 inch, wanted to slide down the grip to see how it would go as a counterbalance before buying new grip.

Matt 3 Jab
28th March 2016, 08:10 AM
There isn't a issue doing it, but the lie angle will be a lot more upright if it was a belly / long putter. So you may need to get it bent or be happy with it being upright

Captain Nemo
28th March 2016, 09:19 AM
There isn't a issue doing it, but the lie angle will be a lot more upright if it was a belly / long putter. So you may need to get it bent or be happy with it being uprightThis is the major hiccup, ****s the whole thing up especially if it's a centre shaft. Waste of time.

goughy
28th March 2016, 09:43 AM
Is the lie angle on a belly putter really that different? I would have thought it would be fairly similar since in the end your hands end up in a similar position as

Captain Nemo
28th March 2016, 09:52 AM
Get one and see....

Ron Burgundy
28th March 2016, 09:59 AM
I've done this with a long putter and a belly putter. Long putter didn't work because of the lie angle being so far out (didn't even consider that before buying the thing). Belly putter was fine. If in doubt just google the specs of the putter you have to check the lie angle before cutting it down.

goughy
28th March 2016, 11:00 AM
Get one and see....
I've done it to one, a Scotty mid sur, and haven't noticed any issues with the lie angle. I just figured since a belly putter still kept your hands on a fairly normal putting position that the lie angle wouldn't have been much different.

pt73
29th March 2016, 10:04 AM
Is the lie angle on a belly putter really that different? I would have thought it would be fairly similar since in the end your hands end up in a similar position as
It depends on the make and model.

I converted a 2012 Golo Mid to 38" and counterbalanced it, the lie angle of the Mid was exactly the same as the normal Golo.

With the current version of the Golo, the Mid is 1* more upright.

Scifisicko
5th May 2016, 09:57 AM
38 inch belly putters are counterbalanced normal putters for tallish people. I have a couple and they work well