PDA

View Full Version : Course management your most common mistakes

highballin
25th March 2016, 01:05 PM
As the title says what's your most common mistakes!

My three would be,

1. Shortsiding myself when missing the green
2. Not allowing for pin pos i.e. Front,back,middle when choosing iron
3. Not allowing enough for wind in club selection.

Stuartd147
25th March 2016, 01:53 PM
1. Chasing front/back "red" flags instead of playing for middle of green
2. When "in trouble" making sure my next shot gets me is "out of trouble"
3. Laying up too close to the green when I am best at 80-90m
4. Leaving first putts 1-2 feet short

Archi
25th March 2016, 02:54 PM
Under clubbing
Playing way too fast

3Puttpete
25th March 2016, 03:01 PM
Picking the wrong playing partners

RobNewy
25th March 2016, 03:21 PM
2. When "in trouble" making sure my next shot gets me is "out of trouble"
3. Laying up too close to the green when I am best at 80-90m
4. Leaving first putts 1-2 feet short

THis is me to a tee

highballin
25th March 2016, 04:01 PM

Yes it's a common mistake!

Hatchman
25th March 2016, 04:13 PM
1. Following a very poor shot with another equally poor shot resulting in multiple dropped shots. Happens more often when taking the safe option v the more risky shot.

goughy
25th March 2016, 07:32 PM
Not taking into account the lie of the land where my ball is. Is the ball above or below my feet, is it an uphill or downhill lie. The amount of times I look at it afterwards an realise what I should have been doing.

davidw88
25th March 2016, 08:21 PM
Always going for the small gap, ending up still being in the trees and not just chipping it out when in the shit.

AndyP
25th March 2016, 08:38 PM
Good course management is what got my handicap down to 6. I'm not a big hitter or a flusher, but I manage my game.

Confidence then follows.

Johnny Canuck
25th March 2016, 08:44 PM
I don't always choose a definite target, will get lazy and hit towards an area.

Hatchman
25th March 2016, 09:00 PM
I don't always choose a definite target, will get lazy and hit towards an area.

Yep guilty of that one too ��
Ties in why I most likely make a meal of so many safer option recovery shots. I'm more focused on small targets with the riskier ones.

The best years I had for ball striking was way back when the Sega Mega Drive was big. I played PGA Tour a lot and used to really think carefully about my aim point in the game. Strangely that same focus transferred through to my real game and I was small target focused rather than general area. I couldn't putt for sh!t back than compared to now so never converted as I could now.
Need to get the discipline to try and do that again but will have forgotten by the time I drive to golf tomorrow ��.

mrbluu
25th March 2016, 10:19 PM
Not setting up properly to hit a ball and going ahead to hit it anyway.

backintheswing
25th March 2016, 10:45 PM
Not setting up properly to hit a ball and going ahead to hit it anyway.

Sounds like bad alignment

mrbluu
25th March 2016, 11:04 PM
Sounds like bad alignment
It was!!!!!

Lagerlover
26th March 2016, 12:00 AM

Yes it's a common mistake!

Leave him alone, it's the only way to get on Reddie Bay..

LarryLong
26th March 2016, 02:33 PM
1. Taking a shorter club off the tee to stay safe and putting it in the shit anyway
2. Aiming at a bunker because I'm hooking on the day, and hitting it dead straight because it's probably the only time for the day I aimed for something specific
3. Forgetting to think and just hitting it anywhere

highballin
26th March 2016, 04:04 PM
Leave him alone, it's the only way to get on Reddie Bay..

Hahaha:lol:

Kaniss
29th March 2016, 04:21 PM
Laying up too much rather than just going for it. Have to snap out of this playing safe thought process.

Moe Norman
29th March 2016, 04:27 PM
I tend to pull my irons a little left occasionally, even when playing well.

Often, if the pin is cut left, with trouble left - I will attack the pin, miss the green in the shit left and wonder why I was so stupid to go at the pin. When a straight shot puts me in the centre of the green, and my little occasional tug will put me in line with the flag anyway.

My other major issue is layups, I tend to just hit them and stuff it up. Or I'll try to lay up to a certain distance, but mess it up.

live4golf
29th March 2016, 04:51 PM
Not committing to the shot and steering it, generally low and left.

Gammon
29th March 2016, 06:18 PM
1. Never hitting backwards, regardless of the bunker lie being impossible or the chip from the trees being simpler if it goes 20 metres back.

2. Taking a club to match the pin yardage without any regard to its position on the green. Going over the back on back pin positions is my specialty.

mrbluu
29th March 2016, 06:25 PM
1. Never hitting backwards, regardless of the bunker lie being impossible or the chip from the trees being simpler if it goes 20 metres back.

2. Taking a club to match the pin yardage without any regard to its position on the green. Going over the back on back pin positions is my specialty.

3. Reading the wrong side of hole signs

FTFY [emoji1]

WeekendHacker
30th March 2016, 09:38 AM
1. Turning up

WBennett
30th March 2016, 09:02 PM
Running out of beer before we can restock on the 14th

Johnno
31st March 2016, 09:53 AM
Thinking before a round that I'll only use driver on certain holes and play it smart on tighter ones. Then after smoking the first drive dead straight telling myself 'I'm on' and will use it every hole even when I keep having to punch out of the trees

Ashes
31st March 2016, 10:00 AM
Laying up behind the reds.

Standing to the right of GK.

Talking in Simmsy's backswing.

thecollective
31st March 2016, 10:36 AM
putting, should use a wedge to the hole

highballin
31st March 2016, 11:45 AM
putting, should use a wedge to the hole

Haha I hear you TC:D

goughy
17th April 2016, 11:30 AM
Good course management is what got my handicap down to 6. I'm not a big hitter or a flusher, but I manage my game.

Confidence then follows.
I think I really need a game with you where you pick every shot I play for the round. My course management was beyond abysmal today. I truly think I only hit 3 poor shots today - 2 drives I went after too hard and snap hooked and a 3/4 wedge out of some heavy rough I left way short in the water (thank JS). Too often I took the most risky choice in the trees, every time ending up in more trouble.
Another mistake today was not taking my stance into account with the shot. Twice I left shots pin high but didn't allow for a ball way above our way below my feet. Both times the shot shape was as expected but aiming at the hole needn't misses left and right.
My other big mistake today was taking clubs that I felt were not what I really wanted. Every time it resulted in a poor swing and a poor result.

AndyP
17th April 2016, 03:40 PM
Know your strengths. Know your weaknesses. Manage it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

goughy
19th April 2016, 06:53 AM
Without a doubt my strength has been from say 130mtrs to 60mtrs in, and, strangely enough the last 2 rounds, my putting. Course management is, I think, by far my weakness. Next game I'm gonna try and take the safest option every time when in trouble, and see what a difference it makes. My 29pts last game included 6 double and 3 triple bogeys, and 5 times when I tried to play the hero shot out of trouble I connected with trees and got into more trouble. A 6th time I hit a tree dead centre but landed in the fairway (where I could have chipped to by going sideways) and hit a 9i on and two putt bogey. Maybe that one was a hint?

Daves
19th April 2016, 07:07 AM
Without a doubt my strength has been from say 130mtrs to 60mtrs in, and, strangely enough the last 2 rounds, my putting. Course management is, I think, by far my weakness. Next game I'm gonna try and take the safest option every time when in trouble, and see what a difference it makes. My 29pts last game included 6 double and 3 triple bogeys, and 5 times when I tried to play the hero shot out of trouble I connected with trees and got into more trouble. A 6th time I hit a tree dead centre but landed in the fairway (where I could have chipped to by going sideways) and hit a 9i on and two putt bogey. Maybe that one was a hint?

It isn't necessarily the safest option, it is the option where if you don't pull the shot off, you aren't dead for the recovery shot.

Hamo84
19th April 2016, 11:08 AM
my short game is where my course management falls down, has cost me 10 shots a round at worst!! Last time I played, I was excellent tee to green but would walk away with big numbers from not managing my short game.

-Rushing Putts, not taking time to properly read the greens

- Wrong shot selection around the greens, trying to be too fancy when for example a simple pitch and run would do

My other big failing is avoiding big numbers once in trouble. Like others have mentioned, I too should just take my medicine and pitch out to the fairway, Instead try and thread a gap that realistically I have no chance in doing.

oldracer
19th April 2016, 12:12 PM
Short siding myself and the hero shot, both very avoidable but in the heat of the moment....sheesh

highballin
21st April 2016, 10:18 AM
my short game is where my course management falls down, has cost me 10 shots a round at worst!! Last time I played, I was excellent tee to green but would walk away with big numbers from not managing my short game.

-Rushing Putts, not taking time to properly read the greens

- Wrong shot selection around the greens, trying to be too fancy when for example a simple pitch and run would do

My other big failing is avoiding big numbers once in trouble. Like others have mentioned, I too should just take my medicine and pitch out to the fairway, Instead try and thread a gap that realistically I have no chance in doing.

Short siding myself and the hero shot, both very avoidable but in the heat of the moment....sheesh

I have been guilty of all of these on a regular basis

Last few rounds have been playing the percentage shots more. That doesn't necessarily mean just chipping sideways out of the jungle. If I think I can advance it down the fairway with a shot that I know I can play I will.

Just trying to put the ball in good positions if I miss is giving the short game a half decent chance of keeping the score down.

Toolish
24th April 2016, 04:43 PM

Confidence then follows.

Similar for me, I hit the ball better when I was off 11 than I do now and I am off 4.

Biggest change, if I am ever in doubt over clubs at all I take the longer one.

Biggest weakness now course management wise is occasionally rushing a shot, I am better at it than even before, but a few still slip through.

Hatchman
24th April 2016, 06:08 PM
Thought of this thread on Saturday when faced with 100m to go to a close front left pin into the breeze for my 3rd shot on the par 5 7th.
I don't like to try and hit my 50 degree wedge further than 100m so decided the smart course management option would be a half swing knock down 8 iron (normally a shot I play very well and consistently). Blocked it straight into the trap front right and dropped a shot.

highballin
5th May 2016, 09:21 AM
Classic one yesterday hit a nice drive on a par 5 that I rarely hit the fairway. Go for front of green with 2nd and just turn it over enough to short side myself with 2 bunkers to go over and a short landing area, to add to the shot had a sh*t lie. Needless to say DB from there

Hatchman
5th May 2016, 09:41 AM
Classic one yesterday hit a nice drive on a par 5 that I rarely hit the fairway. Go for front of green with 2nd and just turn it over enough to short side myself with 2 bunkers to go over and a short landing area, to add to the shot had a sh*t lie. Needless to say DB from there

If you could reach it with just a standard/average 2nd shot, having a go at it is not a silly option.
If it was going to take your absolute best than its not so smart.

highballin
5th May 2016, 05:40 PM
If you could reach it with just a standard/average 2nd shot, having a go at it is not a silly option.
If it was going to take your absolute best than its not so smart.

Yeah it was just my normal 2nd with a 2 hybrid just that I was further down than usual. Had a beautiful lie on a slight upslope and didn't allow for the draw that came with the upslope

Peppas
5th May 2016, 05:43 PM
Yeah it was just my normal 2nd with a 2 hybrid just that I was further down than usual. Had a beautiful lie on a slight upslope and didn't allow for the draw that came with the upslope

Still hitting beautiful draws, nice one!

Daves
18th May 2016, 07:58 PM
An enlightening day today. We played a Gentsome (Irish Stableford). I was the low handicapper, the others were off; 16, 19 & 21. I didn't really miss a tee shot all day, but they could only use 6 of mine. I saw some pretty poor course management practices, and then frustration, leading to poor swings when their games started to unwind.

My observations in order;

1) missed putts inside 3 feet; there must have been a dozen of them. Just plain carelessness, not giving each putt it due respect.

2) Club selection: Basing club selection on best hits, not average hits. Not taking into account good/bad misses in club selection.

3) Shot selection/aim; carry on of previous errors, not understanding the concept of a good misses, bad misses.

4) Shite short games/poor club selection. Hitting a wedge when an 8i would give a greater margin for error. Lofting shot into trees, when a bunt is all that was needed. Trying to use putter from well off the green. When I suggest using a Hybrid instead: "I haven't practiced that!

5) Basic bunker play; I witnessed a few Hitlers!

And worst of all, because I was the last to play each shot and had to watch them each time, they were so f'n slow! How can you spending so much time, and still **** up a shot so badly?!! and don't get me started about having no clue where they hit their shots!

highballin
18th May 2016, 08:02 PM
Sounds like you had a fun day Dave.

My errors today were short siding myself. But in my defence I was aiming at the open side but two rank swings landed me short sided both resulting in doubles

SirTop
18th May 2016, 10:36 PM
Missing the green is a pain and costs me points.

I've done well lately by talking to myself as I line up the approach, saying "anywhere on the green, anywhere on the green"

Makes me focus on hitting the green and 1-2 putting, hopefully for birdie or par

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

goughy
19th May 2016, 06:06 AM
And worst of all, because I was the last to play each shot and had to watch them each time, they were so f'n slow! How can you spending so much time, and still **** up a shot so badly?!! and don't get me started about having no clue where they hit their shots!

The longer you take to play, and practice swing etc, the more time you have to over think it. And then stuff it.

Daves
19th May 2016, 06:47 AM
The longer you take to play, and practice swing etc, the more time you have to over think it. And then stuff it.

Correct, but it wasn't just the time they spent over the shot, they were just slow. Slow to pull a club, slow to take a stance, and they even fart arsed about after the shot. One drives a cart, is always at the ball first, but is never even remotely ready to play.