PDA

View Full Version : Cart - petrol or electric?

oz
12th March 2016, 04:39 PM
Settled into the new digs, and looking at picking up a cart for convenience around the course and, obviously, also for play.

I don't play huge amounts of golf. I probably average 3 - 4 rounds a month.

A few mates have petrol carts, but the majority have electric. What is best for less than everyday use?

Anyone have one for sale near the NSW / VIC border?

Cheers.

spanner039
12th March 2016, 05:01 PM
Just don't forget a set of batteries is a tad over 2k these days add that to a 2nd hand electric straight away, and they only last four years regardless of how much it has been used.

What clubs allow petrol carts ?

davidw88
12th March 2016, 05:20 PM
I have a petrol one, goes pretty good. The majority would have petrol at our club.

oz
12th March 2016, 06:07 PM
Our club allows petrol

oz
12th March 2016, 06:07 PM
The noise & fumes are the detractors, but the running cost & reliability are big positives.

oldracer
12th March 2016, 06:09 PM
Petrol every day....Shepp allows petrol

dowdsy
12th March 2016, 09:56 PM
Petrol carts stink and they are noisy compared to electric carts and have less torque, if it was me I would go electric, battery technology is getting better all the time. JMHO.

Jazz18
12th March 2016, 11:39 PM
I'm no expert but having spent a bit of time in both types of late, I would definitely buy electric if I was to purchase one. Even if electric was more expensive to run, it would be worth the extra cost to me. Quieter, no smell and a smoother drive as well compared to the petrols I've driven.

Coldtopper
13th March 2016, 08:49 AM
Just don't forget a set of batteries is a tad over 2k these days add that to a 2nd hand electric straight away, and they only last four years regardless of how much it has been used.

What clubs allow petrol carts ? most country tracks allow petrol. I was going to buy a Yamaha petrol @ 3k to take the bins out But can't get heavy duty suspension and the kids told me walk as I need the exercise.

davidw88
13th March 2016, 08:55 AM
most country tracks allow petrol. I was going to buy a Yamaha petrol @ 3k to take the bins out But can't get heavy duty suspension and the kids told me walk as I need the exercise. Ive seen on the internet people putting lift kits and bigger tyres onto golf carts

razaar
13th March 2016, 09:53 AM
You should be able to pick up a reconditioned 2012 Yamaha including new batteries for $4.5 K. ( $5.5 K with new paint job + accessories). No brainier if it is accommodated on course with access to power. If you don't play much fuel can be an issue with a petrol cart. Fuel has a limited life, 6 to 8 weeks.

Daves
13th March 2016, 10:39 AM
Fuel has a limited life, 6 to 8 weeks.

Might be relevant to a new tech ,high compression ,forced induction, fuel injected modern car engine. Not very relevant for a old tech motor like those in mowers and carts etc imo and in my experience.

ozdevil
13th March 2016, 10:40 AM
1 thing also to consider in buying a cart irregardless wether it is petrol or electric

is wether your golf club accepts your cart under there liability with insurance

or

you have to provide your own public liability

if you have to provide your own public liability for the cart a lot of clubs I think expect you have to have a 250k indemnity...

Also I know with my club we ask our members who have there own buggies to pay 60 bucks a year in order to use them on our course.

razaar
13th March 2016, 12:08 PM
Might be relevant to a new tech ,high compression ,forced induction, fuel injected modern car engine. Not very relevant for a old tech motor like those in mowers and carts etc imo and in my experience.Same applies to motor mowers, 2 stroke engines etc. Standard petrol does turn really dark after 8 weeks. I wouldn't risk it without treating it with a Winns fuel treatment. One of the members at Wanny mentioned it about his petrol cart.

markTHEblake
13th March 2016, 05:09 PM
you also need to consider terrain, there is a very good reason why hilly courses don't normally use electric carts.
Going uphill puts excessive load on batteries, which reduces their lifespan.

You should be able to pick up a decent petrol cart for $2500

oz
14th March 2016, 05:01 PM
Not a lot to choose from in my neck of the woods. Decent petrol seem to be going above $3500.
May need to reconsider my thoughts on battery power.

razaar
14th March 2016, 07:19 PM
The 6 X 8 volt battery systems have heaps of power and last about 6 years with normal monthly maintenance. A full charge lasts 36+ holes on a relatively flat course. I tested ours and it made 54 holes with a noticeable loss of power after 36.

Daves
14th March 2016, 07:31 PM
Same applies to motor mowers, 2 stroke engines etc. Standard petrol does turn really dark after 8 weeks. I wouldn't risk it without treating it with a Winns fuel treatment. One of the members at Wanny mentioned it about his petrol cart.

Not in my experience, and I have lots of fuel that is much older that 6 to 8 weeks. The fuel currently in my boat would be close to a year old, and it hasn't changed colour, and it runs perfectly well on it. Nor have I seen it do so in over 20 years I have owned the boat. Fuel might start to deteriorate after 6 to 8 weeks, but it is a very slow process, if it is stored correctly. Water contamination is a bigger issue, I find. Old tech engines like mowers, carts etc will run on just about anything. A few lost "Rons" isn't going to affect them noticeably. Some fresh fuel added every month or two so should keep it fresh enough.

razaar
14th March 2016, 09:04 PM
This is what the experts have to say about the life of fuel.http://www.autospeed.com/cms/article.html?&title=The-Life-of-Fuel&A=112237

Progolfgear
15th March 2016, 04:10 PM
Electric carts are much nicer to use, but for private use are relatively expensive to own/run.

Petrol carts are a lot more convenient that they don't need charging and cheaper in the long haul as the odd oil change is a heck of a lot cheaper than a new set of batteries.

My choice for hire use would be electric every time, for private use if money is no object go electric, if you want something you can buy, use and on sell for minimal loss, go with petrol.

oz
17th March 2016, 11:08 PM
I am leaning strongly towards petrol. Have my eye on 2. Hope to pick one next week, and get it delivered soon.

Ferrins
18th July 2016, 07:23 PM
I have a Yamaha Drive(G29) petrol and very happy with it.