PDA

View Full Version : Wife approved/suggested new clubs

KC4802
12th March 2016, 09:41 AM
I must be too depressed or something, the wife asked if buying new irons would cheer me up... there's only one answer to such a question.

Now I'm keen to get a fitting etc, especially to find out my swing speed and length/lie considerations; to make sure im not buying something thats not optimum. Been cranking up the SS, launching 5I high about 185m. What info should I make sure I get from a LM session to take into buying clubs?

I've only been playing for a year, with a set of Cougar Zone 2. Big improvement in that time from 100's when joining to an 19HC now, even carding a 79 as personal best. Just starting lessons. This years goal is to get to 14.5.
http://www.golflink.com.au/handicap-history/?golflink_No=4091301469

Loving the look of the Mizuno JPX 850 Forged. But also seeing deals like the GCO cleveland 588 TT's make me wonder if it's worth just buying those for so cheap.

TLDR; What do i need to find out from a fitting session? iron set suggestion for improving mid-HC with high swing speed?

jimandr
12th March 2016, 10:58 AM
KC, the best person to ask about fitting clubs is the person you are getting lessons from. That person, if they know anything at all, will know what type of swing you have and what type of equipment will be of greatest benefit to you.

At your current level, improvements to your swing will be far more helpful than any equipment changes.

But, as you are asking us, quite a few of us play 588TT's, and you can't go wrong with them. At this stage of your golfing life you shouldn't spend a fortune on the latest and allegedly greatest. That can wait until you get a little bit more proficient, and then the sellers on this site will treat you as their best friend.

The fitter should also be able to help you greatly by asking a few questions about what you want to achieve, and then making some suggestions from there. The fitter's most important task is to establish your best lie angle, shaft length and shaft flex.

As you are in your late 20's, you should avoid the cougars.

spanner039
12th March 2016, 11:23 AM
Nothing wrong with 588's

Jim is right though talk to the lesson pro person they will put you onto the right path

Interested to see what they say

3Puttpete
12th March 2016, 11:52 AM
Tell the bride you're buying the JPX, buy the 588, pocket the change.

olddogmike
12th March 2016, 01:31 PM
My OnOff forged set are for sale, super smooth like a hot knife through butter, :lol:

Johnno
12th March 2016, 03:36 PM
I hit the 850 forged when I was trying irons. Looked good but feel at impact seemed pretty harsh compared to others I tried. Results were ok.

benno_r
12th March 2016, 03:42 PM
Nothing wrong with those 588tt's. No need to go too crazy. Main thing is to determine correct length/lie/flex.

KC4802
12th March 2016, 05:20 PM
KC, the best person to ask about fitting clubs is the person you are getting lessons from. That person, if they know anything at all, will know what type of swing you have and what type of equipment will be of greatest benefit to you.

Cheers jimandr, that bit of advice will save me an 1.5hr drive to the stores with LM... club pro is great for lessons, so will hit him up this week for fitting suggestions. Now to just avoid snapping up the 588TT's until then.

cheers everyone else, stoked with any response to my first question!

3Puttpete
12th March 2016, 05:27 PM
Just buy them now. If they're not for you in a fortnight pm me [emoji6]

Hatchman
12th March 2016, 07:36 PM
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160312/e9d8bdef34806ef12f94ccffcf2cf0a6.jpg

KC4802
13th March 2016, 11:57 AM
Just buy them now. If they're not for you in a fortnight pm me [emoji6]
Looking at some basic shaft stiffness info online I might need X-flex, best to wait for fitting.

It's a Trap
It always is... at least i'll have a shiny new set to cuddle in the doghouse.

gameboy
13th March 2016, 12:08 PM
dibs. have you found out what she has done wrong yet? :)

backintheswing
13th March 2016, 12:19 PM
I would suggest a drive to the Golf King. He has the latest LM and is a really top bloke.

wizard_of_oz
13th March 2016, 02:35 PM
The only time when the missus tells you that you can buy whatever you want there's only one reason; she's porking someone else... :p
The TT's will do you fine at $299, the 850 Forged are still going for $1170 on golfbox and they aren't going to perform any better than the TT at your handicap.

dowdsy
13th March 2016, 06:55 PM
The only time when the missus tells you that you can buy whatever you want there's only one reason; she's porking someone else... :p
The TT's will do you fine at $299, the 850 Forged are still going for $1170 on golfbox and they aren't going to perform any better than the TT at your handicap.
Guess that means my missus isn't doing someone else then cause she never says go ahead and buy those new clubs honey:)

coalesce
13th March 2016, 08:59 PM
Does anyone know how the TTs compare to CG16s? Are they pretty much the same but newer model?

Garbage guts
14th March 2016, 01:48 PM
They hit like a speedblade with less launch angle I highly recommend though MT maybe more suitable to higher handicap player's

wizard_of_oz
14th March 2016, 03:17 PM
Does anyone know how the TTs compare to CG16s? Are they pretty much the same but newer model? TT have got less offset, which is good. CG16, to me, have got a softer "feel" off the face but that's subjective and no bearing on the performance. Can't go wrong with either.

Jazz18
15th March 2016, 07:19 PM
I must be too depressed or something, the wife asked if buying new irons would cheer me up... there's only one answer to such a question.

Now I'm keen to get a fitting etc, especially to find out my swing speed and length/lie considerations; to make sure im not buying something thats not optimum. Been cranking up the SS, launching 5I high about 185m. What info should I make sure I get from a LM session to take into buying clubs?

I've only been playing for a year, with a set of Cougar Zone 2. Big improvement in that time from 100's when joining to an 19HC now, even carding a 79 as personal best. Just starting lessons. This years goal is to get to 14.5.
http://www.golflink.com.au/handicap-history/?golflink_No=4091301469

Loving the look of the Mizuno JPX 850 Forged. But also seeing deals like the GCO cleveland 588 TT's make me wonder if it's worth just buying those for so cheap.

TLDR; What do i need to find out from a fitting session? iron set suggestion for improving mid-HC with high swing speed?

All the other guys have pretty much covered it but I'm not sure that GCO will provide custom fit clubs if you want the 588TT's. $299 is a good deal for them, but you still want to make sure you get what you want. Good luck.

Charger
19th March 2016, 10:08 AM
588TT's have a lighweight stock shaft. If OP is hitting 5 iron 185m, he will need a proper shaft I reckon.

I play 588TT's with s200's.

TheNuclearOne
19th March 2016, 10:31 AM
588TT's have a lighweight stock shaft. If OP is hitting 5 iron 185m, he will need a proper shaft I reckon.

I play 588TT's with s200's.

Bingo! Absolutely get the TT's for a first serious set of irons, but be aware you personally will almost definitely have to reshaft them. The stock shaft is light, mostly too long and not very popular with the vast majority.

The TT's are quite easy to hit for a tweener iron but will also let you grow into them right down to scratch if need be.

3Puttpete
19th March 2016, 10:47 AM
According to the search function the 588TT with stock shafts are the only irons to win an SA Champs

KC4802
19th March 2016, 03:29 PM
588TT's have a lighweight stock shaft. If OP is hitting 5 iron 185m, he will need a proper shaft I reckon.I play 588TT's with s200's. Thanks charger! Confirmed the 185m 5I today a couple of times on course. See how it goes with lessons next week.