PDA

View Full Version : For Addam - Fat wedges.

Bruce
10th May 2006, 05:25 PM
Today I was absolutely deadly from 100m in - to my scorecard.

I hit at least 6, maybe more, 9 irons or shorter fatty fatty fat fat. Naturally those chunks came up 20-30m short.

Long and mid irons were going fine and the driver was adequate - I just kept digging a hole with the short irons. Line was ok - they went straight enough. Just short.

Is there a common cause for this kind of problem? I was trying to keep a nice even tempo, not trying to smack them. I was conscious of keeping the ball back a bit in the stance and still chunks went flying.

And the search function sucks. Fat is too short a word to include in a search? Bollocks to that.

Toolish
10th May 2006, 06:43 PM
Bruce...not addam here...but may help.

Some times trying not to hit it too hard leas to decel, which can lead to a bit of a flip and fat shots...could that have been it.

Focus on keeping hands ahead of ball through impact, that may help.

AndyP
10th May 2006, 07:20 PM
I was conscious of keeping the ball back a bit in the stance and still chunks went flying. That could be your problem. Thinking.
Keep the thinking to the range. And trust it on the course. That's the theory anyway.

And the search function sucks. Fat is too short a word to include in a search? Bollocks to that. Four characters is the default. I've been caught on it a few times myself. It keeps the database size down.
It's for the best anyway, as it would have brought up the diet thread and you would have seen the promises people have made and broken.

Bruce
10th May 2006, 09:17 PM
That could be your problem. Thinking.
Keep the thinking to the range. And trust it on the course. That's the theory anyway.

I disagree on that point. You can take your time and a couple of setup thoughts which is where ball postion fits. Once the club is moving I am a mental vacuum.

Courty
10th May 2006, 09:51 PM
It could be caused by coming down at too steep an angle on the downswing.

addamsmith
11th May 2006, 07:16 AM
Hi Courty
Try hitting a few bucket's with your feet together, and keep your knees bent, try to concentrate on not using your waist to feet but more shoulder's and arm's.
Fat shot's are more from dipping or de-acceletate and both.
concentrate on a flat left wrist at impact.
Hope this helps
Addam

Courty
11th May 2006, 07:22 AM
Hi Courty

Hi Addam, I think you meant to address this to Bruce though. ;)

Jarro
11th May 2006, 07:27 AM
Courty, once he saw the word fat ... he thought of you straight away :mrgreen:

Bruce
11th May 2006, 08:43 AM
Thinking back I think decell is the most likely. I'll work on that first.

I was so frustrated by it yesterday. I was getting around the course really well getting myself shots of ~100m in and then having to play another one from ~30. It's things like this where I just **** shots away that is stopping me from breaking 90. That and the disastrous 8 I had on a par 3.

addamsmith
11th May 2006, 05:14 PM
Sorry for the mess up Courty, Its just that avatar of yours it haunt's me HA Ha,
Anyway Bruce give it a try.
I am happy for any member to call into the shop on sundays and just ring my mobile 0400 767 011 and I am happy to check your swing on the launcher for free.So any guy's that live in the area just let me know.
It's just that sundays are fairly quiet at the moment.
Addam

Bruce
13th May 2006, 03:21 PM
Much better results today. Concentrating on a good positive swing even if the backswing was abbreviated gave me great results today. It was the best facet of my game.

Thanks for the pointers guys.

Davemason
14th May 2006, 10:26 PM
I am happy for any member to call into the shop on sundays and just ring my mobile 0400 767 011 and I am happy to check your swing on the launcher for free.
Addam

So were is your shop???

shazza_rs
15th May 2006, 10:51 AM
Strathaird Road, Bundall, GOLD COAST

addamsmith
17th May 2006, 09:48 AM
Hi Guy's
I work there only now as a casual so I don't mind doing a free lauch check, but the boss does so if anyone want me to have a look I will have to do it only on sundays and call my mobile 0400 767 011
addam

AndyP
17th May 2006, 10:20 AM
Could you please detail your credentials, Addam?

addamsmith
18th May 2006, 04:22 PM
22 years clubmaker / clubfitter
handicap was plus 2 before turning pro.
started my traineeship at 18 last 12 month's ( no money there) then got back into my martial arts bussiness.
Went through the AGTF and started teaching earlier this year.I have been studying the golf swing since I was 7 and alway's had a real passion for the game.
Addam
Age now 42

Toolish
18th May 2006, 07:54 PM
Agtf?

Trout
10th August 2008, 01:49 PM
Bruce did you ever sort this problem out and how did you do it?

I hit some of my shots fat too and wondering how you did it and what the cause was?

Trout

Bruce
10th August 2008, 02:31 PM
Having learned a lot since this and with a few changes since then I think my problem was really about having my head back behind the ball at impact. If I were to go back in time I would tell myself to keep my head in the middle and not let if fall behind and see how that goes.

But I will give you no swing advice. That was my problem at the time and may be nothing like what is causing your own issues Trout.

Courty
10th August 2008, 06:20 PM
I think this (and a lot of ball-striking issues) comes from the posture collapsing during the downswing. I for one am guilty of it at times. My right hip drops below my left, pulling down my right shoulder, hence dropping into the ground before the ball.