PDA

View Full Version : Hitter Vs Swinger

FuzzyJuzzy
3rd March 2016, 05:45 PM
Trundled round nine holes with a couple of old blokes this morning and one of them made the comment that I was a hitter rather than a swinger, and that I hit a decent ball but if I had a fuller swing I'd get the ball out there well and proper. It's not news to me that I have a short, ugly backswing - and these blokes were choppers - but I kind of half get by (ie, mid single figures) with it due to being something of a burly motherflecker and am happy with the distance I hit the ball.
In saying that, I'd love to have a swing that's more Scarlett Johansson than Browyn Bishop, but when I make attempts to lengthen my backswing to become more of a swinger than a hitter the results are often hit and miss and I feel like the chances of ballsing up the shot just multiply. When I connect with it properly with what feels like a consciously longer backswing, I can feel what feels like effortless power (by comparison) and the ball probably goes about the same distance as it would with my stunted gumby backswing.
Not really asking for tips or anything....guess just making some kind of bullshit roundabout point about making do with what you've got, and owning your dog ugly swing and managing to occasionally play some half decent golf with it. Oh, and also bitching about trying to beautify your swing without having the patience to groove it til decent results are forthcoming. Thank god you can have an uggo swing and still not totally suck balls at golf:).

Hatchman
3rd March 2016, 06:02 PM
I'd prefer the terminology Clubber Vs Swinger
Hitter and Sweeper go together when talking about golfers that hit the ball v sweeping it off the top.

Out of interest, how far are you hitting the driver on average.

Without seeing any video you may swing fuller than what you think you do. Everything may be compact giving the impression it's short and not complete. Take Peter Lonard as an example. Stocky guy very compact swing.
You may be top half dominant (more of an arm swing) so when you do try and swing what feels like a fuller turn it's all out of whack.
I could be just dribbling to contribute to the discussion thou :)

Daves
3rd March 2016, 06:16 PM
Don't swing longer, increase your angles. Have a bit of a look through these videos about a long thumb grip. I am playing around with it at the moment. It has increased distance for me. I find it tends to also make you fade a shot.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=long+thumb+golf+grip

Crossfield did a video covering it, but I can't find it at the moment. Most of his grip videos recommend much the same set up, so that you maximise your lag angle at the top, and control the club butt end..

3oneday
3rd March 2016, 06:37 PM
and these blokes were choppers - so, you come on here and ask a bunch of choppers?

I have experienced it a few times at Cumberland, "gee you dip, gee you swing fast, gee, where's the rest of your swing". Not one of them was off less than 15, last one was 36 so clearly something I am doing they should try?

It's your game, ignore them or it will ruin your game.

highballin
3rd March 2016, 06:53 PM
Hitting vs Swinging, I find if my thought process is to hit the ball I will invariably arm swing and come over the top chop chop chop. If my thought process is to relax and make a full swing without trying to hit at the ball I will invariably make a full shoulder turn and come from the inside resulting in a nice draw.

Having the confidence and belief to just let go and swing without trying to control it, is the battle for me!

dee cee
3rd March 2016, 06:58 PM
The last line of three one day is the clincher.

I came across hitting vs swinging when I looked at 'the golfing machine' a few years ago.
The general consensus from memory was that hitting was a generally more reliable and consistent way to play. It was shorter but not by much. Unless you are tragically short I would stick with what you've got but tidy it up with professional help.

Jazz18
3rd March 2016, 07:00 PM
so, you come on here and ask a bunch of choppers?

I have experienced it a few times at Cumberland, "gee you dip, gee you swing fast, gee, where's the rest of your swing". Not one of them was off less than 15, last one was 36 so clearly something I am doing they should try?

It's your game, ignore them or it will ruin your game.

This. I had a guy do this to me at Camden Lakeside one day. Nice guy but said to me I'd hit the ball further if I didn't hit it so high. Had a "few" metres on him and had a really good round so I'm not sure why he was giving me tips. Barely missed a fairway that day. Ignore the peanut gallery and play your own game Fuzzy.

Lagerlover
3rd March 2016, 08:12 PM
Swingers are usually gorgeous 30 year old blondes knowing their one purpose in life is to look good, and attract others to hit on them to make their partner fell that little bit special.

These partners when feeling threatened by the advances from other men towards their trophy brides are called Hitters.

wazamac
3rd March 2016, 08:49 PM
+1. Funny man.

razaar
4th March 2016, 08:27 AM
Fuzzy, length of swing has nothing to do with the swinger / hitter comparison but how the right arm works in the swing. The right elbow needs to lead the hands just before impact to retain lag and ensure the hands lead the clubhead through impact. Players who retain the relationship of right elbow/left elbow and right elbow/ right hip in the back swing and downswing are considered swingers. Those players who have some separation in the elbows in the back swing, need to reposition the right elbow forward in the transition which may give the impression that the player is pushing with the right arm. There are players who are right arm all the way but they need to be pulling with some muscles on the left side otherwise the swing will lack rotation and will be a lateral action.
Jack Nicklaus was a hitter so is Rory. Tiger and Scott are swingers, Bubba and JBHolmes are hitters.
Choppers are choppers.☺

wazandnic
4th March 2016, 08:46 AM
Choppers are choppers.☺

haha... classic raz

Yossarian
4th March 2016, 12:59 PM
My contact lens went all funny and I swore this thread title was Hitler v Swingers.

Dotty
4th March 2016, 03:03 PM
My contact lens went all funny and I swore this thread title was Hitler v Swingers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Z09bNgSeMI

dee cee
4th March 2016, 09:35 PM
I think Rory And Bubba are swingers. JB Holmes and Brian Gay appear to be hitters.

Maybe it comes down to perception or definition???