PDA

View Full Version : 19 inch LCD advice

BrisVegas
10th May 2006, 10:46 AM
Hi all,
Quick one.... My old CRT died last night and I need a new monitor. Prefer 19 inch as I need the screen real estate for working from home. Not for gaming, pretty much just browing and working, so don't need the latest and greatest...

I usually buy from umart as they're the cheapest. Which of the ones around the $400 mark would you "experts" recommend...

http://www.umart.com.au/newindex2.phtml?bid=2

Cheers!

P.S. Was leaning towards the following..

BENQ FP91G+ 19 inch LCD 550:1 SilverBlack monitor 8ms DVI Instock $385.00
TCL 19inch 600:1 TFT LCD Monitor 8ms with Spks silver/black(30days 0 bright dot dead pixel policy) Instock $380.00
ViewSonic VA1912WB 19inch Black WideScreen LCD 8ms 1440X900 DVI Spks Instock $419.00

Moe Norman
10th May 2006, 10:55 AM
BenQ out of those 3.

Jarro
10th May 2006, 10:59 AM
sorry to threadjack Vegas :roll: .. but what do you guys use to clean your LCD screens ? The billy-lids have all sorts of grubby fingerprints all over mine and it's driving me nuts :evil:

connico
10th May 2006, 11:07 AM
non alcohol based baby wipes, johnsons and johnsons are good.

non of those monitors, they have poor warranties and bad pixel death ratios

some of them might even come with pixel dead already..if your going to go budget look up a brand called CMV its made in china and its a clone samsung. Speaking of which samsung is the go for quality right now, they have some of the best lcds out there...390 should get you a 940N-8ms

Regardless Umart is a rip off... if you can go pick up from MSY in QLD have a look at www.msy.com.au, thier prices are much better than umart as you will see...they have two stores somewhere in qlds

And that benq is 369 at msy

Virgal_Tracy
10th May 2006, 11:11 AM
Will back up Anthony's recommendation on both the CMV and MSY. HAve had a CMV 19" for almost 18mths now and it works great.

Use MSY in Sydney almost exclusively for all my computer stuff. highly recommended (sounds like an Ebay feedback)

BrisVegas
10th May 2006, 11:15 AM
Connico - is the CMV CT-938D the best one to buy of the cheapies ???

markTHEblake
10th May 2006, 11:24 AM
A lot of people are going nuts over Dell screens at the moment.

the price busting brand at the moment is ChiMei previously known as CMV, also has industry leading response tiimes and performance, should be able to get a 19' Have had really good reviews but have read some bad ones regarding leaking light around the edges (see whirl/whingepool). I have got one of the first CMV's to be released and i dont have any issue with it.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/19-Chimei-CMV-DVI-WIDESCREEN-LCD-Monitor-SPECIAL_W0QQitemZ8808790141

Regardless, make sure you clarify the dead pixel warranty before you buy, as most do not offer a Zero Dead pixel warranty - a few do so thats important.

If your supplier doesnt guarantee Zero Dead Pixels out of the box as a minimum do not buy from them, because that means they are pathetic.

andylo
10th May 2006, 11:33 AM
Christine used to be MSY's manager and she said its normal they are out of stock on almost anything because their current manager is a nut job.

Give them a ring to check the stock available before you go... but use a phone with handfree features because usually no one answering even there are ppl working in the shop.

Fishman Dan
10th May 2006, 12:05 PM
Vegas - i bought a Dell 19" UltraSharp and it's frickin great. Not sure about the price (check the Dell website), but it's got VGA and DVI.

Cost me about $420 from our work account manager (2 months ago?), but not sure what RRP is. You can probably get cheaper from other manufacturers but here's a vote for the Dell stuff.

Needless to say, i wouldn't buy something like this from eBay.

connico
10th May 2006, 12:24 PM
Dells are rebadged samsungs most of the time, they used to be sony but sony lcds are at the moment crap...the trinitrons reign is well and truely over.

Buying a CMV is like an unlucky dip, alot of the computer gear from china is either using old tried and true technology or rebadging stuff or even copying technology.

Regardless if you get a crappy cmv you can get it replaced its just the time and effort put into it..there are plenty of people that stock cmv now...right now they are using clone technology of samsung, so the CMV CT-938D its going to have samsung markings..but remember its not a samsung...if you get an older model last years run they are rebadged proviews.

CMV CT-938D with 8ms response time which is acceptable for normal useage, .285 pixel pitch is also standard, not great but not ****, and a contrast ration of 600:1 is also good but abit out dated, overall a solid lcd for a cheap price

Fishman Dan
10th May 2006, 12:28 PM
Dells are rebadged samsungs most of the time, they used to be sony but sony lcds are at the moment crap...the trinitrons reign is well and truely over.

I have no idea where you get this from.

You do realise Trinitron has nothing to do with LCD?

connico
10th May 2006, 12:31 PM
I have no idea where you get this from.

You do realise Trinitron has nothing to do with LCD?

Dells right how, the new release ones, most of them are rebadged samsungs thats why the look so good. Dell dont make anything selves period..so dont kid yourself...

Dells use to use sonys and had been using them for a very very very long time....trinitron is tech for crt when we still lived in the trintiron age they use to be the bees knees, so yes i know exactly what im talking about...do you?

BTW look up reviews on dells LCDs and most of them will mention they are rebagded samsungs or using samsung lcd panels with cheapo back lights

peter_rs
10th May 2006, 12:32 PM
The CMV is the way to go.

Fishman Dan
10th May 2006, 12:46 PM
Dell dont make anything selves period..so dont kid yourself...

You don't say.... :roll:

Dells use to use sonys and had been using them for a very very very long time....trinitron is tech for crt when we still lived in the trintiron age they use to be the bees knees, so yes i know exactly what im talking about...do you?

Trinitron isn't tech for CRT - it was a technology hatched by Sony in CRT monitors. You could still get CRT's that weren't Trinitron (and by doing so, save $$$). You could always tell a Trin monitor because it would have a horizontal line across it (small, barely noticeable), sometimes 2 of them.

I'm a brand name guy - i bought Dell because of good warranty and we've got good relations with them through work. I could also buy BenQ from any bloke in a corner shop and save $$$, but (personally) i steer clear of retailers when i can and deal direct.

connico
10th May 2006, 12:50 PM
You don't say.... :roll:

So why did you ask where i got my information from?? Obviously you should know that dell rebadge gear as much as anyone selling cheapo domestic/corporate hardware?

Trinitron isn't tech for CRT - it was a technology hatched by Sony in CRT monitors. You could still get CRT's that weren't Trinitron (and by doing so, save $$$). You could always tell a Trin monitor because it would have a horizontal line across it (small, barely noticeable), sometimes 2 of them.

And thats why the reign of Trinitron is dead...no one really uses crt anymore, and trinitron is tech for crts, just that no one else hasnt got it doesnt mean its not tech, you contradicted yourself when you said " it was a technology hatched by Sony in CRT"...

And they are noticable, but your eyes adjust to it and you brain ignores it...

BrisVegas
10th May 2006, 02:05 PM
woah! I go out for a couple of hours and this thread has exploded as usual!

P.S. I bought the CMV 938D 19 inch widescreen for $340 and it looks great so far. 30 day stuck pixel replacement warranty as standard. The guys at the store were friendly enough, but they were both pretty obviously ESL graduates...

Thanks for the tips everyone!

Fishman Dan
10th May 2006, 02:10 PM
Good thing you didn't buy Dell, you'd never hear the end of it!

BrisVegas
10th May 2006, 02:15 PM
I got a 19 inch Dell 4:3 screen at work Dan. No problems with it so far. I've also got a Dell Inspiron 6400 laptop. I don't mind Dell stuff. It does the job for the "average" user.

The CMV was simply heaps cheaper. I've basically picked up a 19 inch widescreen for a 17 inch price.

connico
10th May 2006, 02:37 PM
nice work mate, its not like i dont like dell, its good gear just overprice rebadged stuff...

its better to get a sumsung at samsung prices not at dell prices...rebadging cost money..