PDA

View Full Version : Best Drivers

Daves
1st March 2016, 08:21 AM
Lots of interesting reading here;

http://www.golfwrx.com/352108/2016-gear-trials-best-drivers-club-test/

dee cee
1st March 2016, 08:26 AM
Good to see they are attempting to expand their testing methods. Fitting properly is the way of the future.

mrbluu
1st March 2016, 08:53 AM
That's crap, who tries stuff before u buy!!!!

Steve57
1st March 2016, 09:01 AM
That's crap, who tries stuff before u buy!!!!
I did for a change and it is the best thing I have ever done.
G30 Driver with the Accra X shaft is a keeper!!

icandy
1st March 2016, 10:09 PM
Surprised they found the M1 430 had 3-4mph slower ball speed than 460. Damn it!

TheNuclearOne
1st March 2016, 10:37 PM
Not right up with it but the early reading i did most seemed to favour the 460.

3oneday
1st March 2016, 11:30 PM
A TM driver on top is actually rare isn't it?

Peppas
1st March 2016, 11:36 PM
Wow maybe Ill get an M1 sometime this year if I ever sort out my swing, get off my anchor, and win a NAGA at a champs.

Hatchman
2nd March 2016, 12:09 AM
There is so much to read through if you have the time.
A fairly extensive process with a big group of testers. Data gathered has some merit as opposed to other years.

The rating for the Cobra King surprised me a little.
One reviewer liked the PXG.

jimandr
2nd March 2016, 12:26 AM
My reaction to this probably belongs in the bemused thread.

All the testers have faster swing speeds than I do, but I read the data for the three slowest swingers of the bunch. One of them had a distance gain of 1 yard over his current gamer, and the other two gained 5 yards. Would anybody spend hundreds on the fitting and then many hundreds on the new driver and shaft to gain 5 yards? I wouldn't.

Maybe that just meant they already had drivers that suited them well, so it wasn't really likely a new combo was going to give them much.

It was possibly just as significant that the three guys I looked at all finished with completely different recommendations for their top 3.

Still, it was good fun to read it. Mygolfspy usually does something similar. We'll no doubt see what they come up with in due course.

Johnny Canuck
2nd March 2016, 01:50 AM
Some interesting reading there.

Curious to try a 12° M1 now.

rubin
2nd March 2016, 02:06 AM
Tested an M1 recently. 3 yard gain using my shaft (the adaptor of the r15 fits). For me, not worth the $500 odd outlay

JADO75
2nd March 2016, 07:06 AM
I took my M1 430 out for 9 holes testy arvo after reading this & will be using it again this weekend after it went so well. I think I need to maybe have a shootout with my 460 though

sfdoddsy
2nd March 2016, 06:27 PM
The consensus seemed to be M1 for faster swings and Ping LS for more mortal ones. Must try a Ping one of these days.

JADO75
2nd March 2016, 06:41 PM
Lucky I have both times 2

Dcanto
2nd March 2016, 10:17 PM
I'm still curious to give the Wilson a demo, even though it didn't rank highly in any particular category.

oldracer
2nd March 2016, 10:22 PM
Some interesting reading there.

Curious to try a 12° M1 now.one for chicken feed on here just recently

Johnny Canuck
2nd March 2016, 11:07 PM
one for chicken feed on here just recently

Just what I needed to hear!

oldracer
2nd March 2016, 11:46 PM
Just what I needed to hear!mm sorry bout that mate

Charger
3rd March 2016, 07:33 AM
Here is last years list for those on a budget: http://www.golfwrx.com/288143/2015-gear-trials-best-drivers/

LeftyHoges
3rd March 2016, 09:30 AM
I LOVE that no-one is looking at this and thinking "I'll hit more fairways with X driver", it's only about yards gained.

Typical.

oldracer
3rd March 2016, 09:43 AM
Went to HOG in Geelong yesterday and they were unpacking the new Tour Edge stuff. They tested their top line driver against all others and it provided matching performance to drivers $300 more expensive and it sits really nice, going to give it a run tomorrow.

PerryGroves
3rd March 2016, 09:46 AM
Lots of interesting reading here;

http://www.golfwrx.com/352108/2016-gear-trials-best-drivers-club-test/

Disappointing Daves, thought it was going to be a car thread, was about to launch into my usual rhetoric............best drivers, well it certainly won't be hat wearing Qlders with no understanding of roundabouts etc. :)

Daves
3rd March 2016, 09:47 AM
Disappointing Daves, thought it was going to be a car thread, was about to launch into my usual rhetoric............best drivers, well it certainly won't be hat wearing Qlders with no understanding of roundabouts etc. :)

It would be a very short list PG! Even the Coppers get it wrong.

mrbluu
3rd March 2016, 09:49 AM
I LOVE that no-one is looking at this and thinking "I'll hit more fairways with X driver", it's only about yards gained.

Typical.
40% extra fairways of zero is still zero....bwahahaha

PeteyD
3rd March 2016, 10:29 AM

It would be a very short list PG! Even the Coppers get it wrong.

They get worse in Toowoomba.

goughy
3rd March 2016, 01:38 PM

Typical.
Typically don't even look in the threads. And as probably one of the shorter asses on here, I still drive it more than far enough. But when I'm lucky to hit one fw a round.... I even carry a 1i just for hitting very low slices of of the trees ; it's worth it for me to carry such a club just for that!

If I could hit 50% of fairways, god I'd be ecstatic!

TheNuclearOne
3rd March 2016, 01:44 PM

Typical.

Was thinking the same from the start. Straighter ball flight, better feel, more confidence, nahhhhhhh. Distance!!!!!

Johnny Canuck
3rd March 2016, 01:49 PM

Typical.

How's that search for a driver head to give you more distance in comparison to the fairway finder that you have now going?

LeftyHoges
3rd March 2016, 02:36 PM
How's that search for a driver head to give you more distance in comparison to the fairway finder that you have now going?

Slowly. And it's purely experimental. If it doesn't perform to 95% of the "fairway findingness" of my current gamer, without giving at least 5 metres more in distance, it won't be bagged. But the important bit is it HAS to match the accuracy of my current gamer. That's priority 1.

A lot of people could learn from that, Mr Canuck.

Johnny Canuck
3rd March 2016, 02:37 PM
Slowly. And it's purely experimental. If it doesn't perform to 95% of the "fairway findingness" of my current gamer, without giving at least 5 metres more in distance, it won't be bagged. But the important bit is it HAS to match the accuracy of my current gamer. That's priority 1.

A lot of people could learn from that, Mr Canuck.

It's the main reason I no longer carry a fairway wood.

LeftyHoges
3rd March 2016, 02:38 PM
It's the main reason I no longer carry a fairway wood.

It's THE reason I no longer carry a fairway wood.

rubin
3rd March 2016, 03:15 PM
Really? I would have thought u blokes would Find a fwy wood far more accurate

3oneday
3rd March 2016, 03:24 PM
I would have thought low markers don't need a fairway wood to find fairways.

LeftyHoges
3rd March 2016, 04:11 PM
I would have thought low markers don't need a fairway wood to find fairways.

Correctamundo!

rubin
3rd March 2016, 04:17 PM
Correctamundo!

i was more referring to distance accuracy.

whats the gapping like to your Hybrid then?

LeftyHoges
3rd March 2016, 04:22 PM
i was more referring to distance accuracy.

whats the gapping like to your Hybrid then?

Driver at 230, 17° at 210, 20° at 195. 3i at 180. I'm pretty happy with that.

Lagerlover
3rd March 2016, 04:23 PM

Stuartd147
3rd March 2016, 04:54 PM
one for chicken feed on here just recently

Yep...told ya's! Sold for $350, was a bargain.

goughy
3rd March 2016, 05:19 PM
I'm actually kinda happy to only be about 1 club shorter than you! I don't know if I can handle any realism in such a thread!

I have no idea of my driver and 3 wood lengths cause they're so inconsistent/inaccurate. I did but one beautiful drive 230 and one 3 wood 210 on the weekend. And a 195 1i. Maybe I should just consider this my average ;).

For the first time in my life (pretty much) I took 3 wood off a couple of holes and that worked well. Might even try it on the 5's this weekend since I can't reach them in two anyway.

LeftyHoges
3rd March 2016, 05:23 PM
I'm actually kinda happy to only be about 1 club shorter than you! I don't know if I can handle any realism in such a thread!

I have no idea of my driver and 3 wood lengths cause they're so inconsistent/inaccurate. I did but one beautiful drive 230 and one 3 wood 210 on the weekend. And a 195 1i. Maybe I should just consider this my average ;).

For the first time in my life (pretty much) I took 3 wood off a couple of holes and that worked well. Might even try it on the 5's this weekend since I can't reach them in two anyway.

I'm nowhere near a long hitter by any stretch of the imagination. A lot of people could learn from that too.

Johnny Canuck
3rd March 2016, 05:48 PM
Really? I would have thought u blokes would Find a fwy wood far more accurate

I can't move my 3w right to left. 16° hybrid works both ways. Costs about 10m, but the accuracy is way better.

Matt 3 Jab
3rd March 2016, 06:18 PM

Im sure you hit it longer than that!

Matt 3 Jab
3rd March 2016, 06:19 PM
TEE XCG7 with a nice shaft does it for me! I seem to hit it well and i dont think i would get anything out of the newer drivers.

TheNuclearOne
3rd March 2016, 06:35 PM

I'm thinking the 230 is carry meters which would not be too shabby on stock drives.

rubin
3rd March 2016, 07:52 PM
I can't move my 3w right to left. 16° hybrid works both ways. Costs about 10m, but the accuracy is way better.

hmmmm.

food for thought - I'd take the 10m loss for accuracy off the tee. I'm finding accuracy off the tee is paramount around lakes, whereas at other courses the rough is playable and not much penalty

LeftyHoges
3rd March 2016, 10:00 PM

Nope. Well, I don't think so anyway. That par 5 at Metro I couldn't have ripped it harder and was still 15 behind you. 230 would be about right.

I'm thinking the 230 is carry meters which would not be too shabby on stock drives.

Nope. Well, maybe, but I don't tend to get a lot of run, so maybe 225 carry, 5 run.

LeftyHoges
3rd March 2016, 10:06 PM
hmmmm.

food for thought - I'd take the 10m loss for accuracy off the tee. I'm finding accuracy off the tee is paramount around lakes, whereas at other courses the rough is playable and not much penalty

Shouldn't just be food for thought for you, you should be eating that shit up with the biggest fork you can find.

You've got an ability that very few others do, you've got miles of natural distance. I'd kill to have the length you do, but you're using it the wrong way. So many guys with length think they need to use that to dominate the course with raw power, when instead they should be using it to their advantage by being more accurate over 200-230 than others. We're hitting driver, whereas you could be hitting the same distances with 5 wood or hybrid.

The number 1 way you will drop shots is to bin your driver, find a 4/5 wood or hybrid that you can hit 220 and hit between 66-75% of fairways with CONSISTENTLY. This game is soooooo much easier from the fairway.

backintheswing
3rd March 2016, 10:09 PM
Shouldn't just be food for thought for you, you should be eating that shit up with the biggest fork you can find.

You've got an ability that very few others do, you've got miles of natural distance. I'd kill to have the length you do, but you're using it the wrong way. So many guys with length think they need to use that to dominate the course with raw power, when instead they should be using it to their advantage by being more accurate over 200-230 than others. We're hitting driver, whereas you could be hitting the same distances with 5 wood or hybrid.

The number 1 way you will drop shots is to bin your driver, find a 4/5 wood or hybrid that you can hit 220 and hit between 66-75% of fairways with CONSISTENTLY. This game is soooooo much easier from the fairway.

That was like us 2 at Victoria last year, with Matty hitting hybrid up with our drives consistently. Add Mint into the mix, when he unleashed driver and it was a sight to see.

mrbluu
I'm nowhere near a long hitter by any stretch of the imagination. A lot of people could learn from that too.
Yep, I'm sure everyone will be trying to hitting shorter on the weekend ;)

3Puttpete

Can't reach a par 5 longer than 440?

simmsy
3rd March 2016, 10:10 PM
What Lefty says Rubes

Rubes if you can hit the fwy with 220 off the tee leaving say 130 into the green where i am hitting 7-8 iron you are hitting 9-PW?? into the same green.

you don't need to bomb it 270 to then have a flick wedge.

LeftyHoges
3rd March 2016, 10:11 PM

As a general rule, probably not.

How long was that 4th at Sanc Lakes? That took nutted driver, nutted hybrid.

LeftyHoges
3rd March 2016, 10:12 PM
Yep, I'm sure everyone will be trying to hitting shorter on the weekend ;)

They should if it means hitting straighter.

Lesson in that for you too cobber.

3Puttpete
3rd March 2016, 10:14 PM
As a general rule, probably not.

How long was that 4th at Sanc Lakes? That took nutted driver, nutted hybrid.

No idea but I want you to be much longer. If your numbers are right, the 2 fairways I hit that day were at 170 [emoji45]

mrbluu
3rd March 2016, 10:15 PM

Don't worry, I'm hitting it plenty short these days with the driver!!!

LeftyHoges
That was like us 2 at Victoria last year, with Matty hitting hybrid up with our drives consistently. Add Mint into the mix, when he unleashed driver and it was a sight to see.

Exactly. I see plenty of guys who can hit the long ball. Most of them don't play off lower than 6, cos when they miss it it costs them 3 shots. The guys who use their power smartly (and usually end up hitting 6 or 7 drivers a round) are the ones who go low.

benno_r

I don't know Lefty, I'd rather chip out sideways 200 off the tee, than chip out sideways 140 off the tee.

Edit: And that's in all seriousness.

Lagerlover
No idea but I want you to be much longer. If your numbers are right, the 2 fairways I hit that day were at 170 [emoji45]

And the three monsters you hit at The Golf Zone were all 65-70m

rubin
3rd March 2016, 10:17 PM

*consistency. [emoji12]

Point taken. Looking at new hybrids as we speak

LeftyHoges
3rd March 2016, 10:17 PM

Ha ha. That day was a bit of an exception to the rule. It was Monday of VIC Champs, so of course I was striking it like a champion. That was easily one of my better days I've had with driver, really only hit bad drives on 3 and 14, the rest were smoked. Drier conditions helped too.

3Puttpete
3rd March 2016, 10:18 PM
And the three monsters you hit at The Golf Zone were all 65-70m

At least I found those

LeftyHoges
3rd March 2016, 10:18 PM
Don't worry, I'm hitting it plenty short these days with the driver!!!

Are you hitting fairways instead though?

mrbluu
3rd March 2016, 10:19 PM
Are you hitting fairways instead though?
Yep, but not the one I was aiming at [emoji5]

LeftyHoges
3rd March 2016, 10:20 PM
I don't know Lefty, I'd rather chip out sideways 200 off the tee, than chip out sideways 140 off the tee.

Edit: And that's in all seriousness.

You've got a consistent swing and ball flight. You should be able to make that work pretty well for you Ben.

LeftyHoges
3rd March 2016, 10:29 PM

Sanc Lakes 4 was 480, but you cut a little off with the slight dogleg, so I'd say playing 460-465 max. There you go, 240 driver, 225 hybrid, nutting them both.

3Puttpete
3rd March 2016, 10:49 PM
Sanc Lakes 4 was 480, but you cut a little off with the slight dogleg, so I'd say playing 460-465 max. There you go, 240 driver, 225 hybrid, nutting them both.

I just had a look. Says the first bunker is 170 odd from the tee. Turns out we were both right. [emoji15]

Hatchman
3rd March 2016, 11:58 PM

It should be and I thought if I could improve my drives in play or better hit more fairways I'd play and shoot lower but it hasn't worked like that for me.
If anything its frustrated me more improving on a weakness and not playing/shooting any better. History of my game shows I'm no more likely to hit the fairway with the shorter 3 wood than I am with the driver.

LeftyHoges
4th March 2016, 11:24 AM
It should be and I thought if I could improve my drives in play or better hit more fairways I'd play and shoot lower but it hasn't worked like that for me.
If anything its frustrated me more improving on a weakness and not playing/shooting any better. History of my game shows I'm no more likely to hit the fairway with the shorter 3 wood than I am with the driver.

Hmmm, if you're hitting more fairways and not shooting better scores, you've got some serious issues somewhere else in your game.

Hatchman
4th March 2016, 11:59 AM
Hmmm, if you're hitting more fairways and not shooting better scores, you've got some serious issues somewhere else in your game.

Not really, I just seem to find dumb ways to drop shots.

LeftyHoges
4th March 2016, 12:18 PM
Not really, I just seem to find dumb ways to drop shots.

Well, that in itself is an issue.

Hatchman
4th March 2016, 12:35 PM
Well, that in itself is an issue.

Issue yes, serious I don't think so. If I made my living form the game it would be ��

Johnny Canuck
4th March 2016, 12:48 PM
*consistency. [emoji12]

Point taken. Looking at new hybrids as we speak

Smart man.

I've gotten to the point where i'd rather hit the fairway or be right beside it in the light rough and have an iron or two extra in.

My miss with an 8i instead of a wedge should be much better than my driver/3w miss.

rubin
4th March 2016, 01:17 PM
Smart man.

I've gotten to the point where i'd rather hit the fairway or be right beside it in the light rough and have an iron or two extra in.

My miss with an 8i instead of a wedge should be much better than my driver/3w miss.

I'm thinking of going to a very forgiving 16/17*hybrid, and then to a 21ish* hybrid then 4i.

Maybe if I find something adjustable, I can play around with lofts until I get the right one.

Johnny Canuck
4th March 2016, 01:19 PM
I'm thinking of going to a very forgiving 16/17*hybrid, and then to a 21ish* hybrid then 4i.

Maybe if I find something adjustable, I can play around with lofts until I get the right one.

I just had a shootout between the Srixon H45 and Cobra FlyZ.

I thought the Srixon was going to be the one, but the Cobra came through in the end.

Smaller head, but I always seem to strike it solid.

3oneday
4th March 2016, 02:28 PM
What did I miss? Have we found a straighter driver, or we're only carrying hybrids now?

Johnny Canuck
4th March 2016, 02:29 PM
What did I miss? Have we found a straighter driver, or we're only carrying hybrids now?

Still on hybrids vs fairway woods.