PDA

View Full Version : VPN vs Smart DNS??

goughy
28th February 2016, 05:13 PM
OK, so just got the netflix unblocker message. We've been using PIA vpn for access to US content. I think companies like Getflix are more likely to keep trying to circumvent this. PIA has said they aren't interested in trying to get around the blocks.

The vpn was easy as it was just turn it on (we use a media pc anyway) and then access US, or turn it off and access Aus content and since we're with iinet we get free downloading of Aus content.

From what I've read some using smart dns are still getting around it. But it seems to me with a smart dns you actually go into your pc settings and make changes in the network setting there.

So if we do that, do I have to change things back each time to access local content and get our free downloading of content? And we'll have a smart tv in a week or so, so can this stuff work with that too? I'm a bit lost with what's the way to go? Or is time to give up! (yes, I know it's time to give up......)

davepuppies
1st March 2016, 09:14 AM
i use unblock us, and have it set up through my PS4.

I have to keep updating my IP address through the site (on the browser on my PS4) through unblock us, but i have constant access to US netflix now

Dangals
1st March 2016, 09:27 AM
I use getflix and it is all controllable through a web page - so if you want to change your region back to Aus to download local content you just go into the webpage and change it. As you are doing it through an actual pc and not a console or something similar it should be an easy change for you.

Super easy and haven't had any issues streaming Netflix through a multitude of devices - pc, ps4. ps3, xbox etc...

goughy
1st March 2016, 01:24 PM
Ok, that sounds cool. When you switch regions does it change for all devices or just the one you select? And would this work on a TV's app?

Dangals
1st March 2016, 02:34 PM
You can do individual devices or the network as a whole - no idea if that will work on TV app as haven't done that yet.

You can even change what region is used for certain channels as per the pic

AndyP
1st March 2016, 02:41 PM
Do you really get that much extra from the US Netflix? I see they have released a bunch more to Australia for March. I've only just got Netflix, and haven't looked at what extra is available in the US.

Dangals
1st March 2016, 02:56 PM
Do you really get that much extra from the US Netflix? I see they have released a bunch more to Australia for March. I've only just got Netflix, and haven't looked at what extra is available in the US.

Yes absolutely - Netflix Australia has nothing in comparison

http://www.finder.com.au/netflix-australia-vs-netflix-us-tv-shows

http://www.finder.com.au/netflix-australia-vs-netflix-us-movies

goughy
1st March 2016, 04:22 PM
Something like 8 times the content. And the stuff we have here is the crap stuff, plus their original stuff which we like.

goughy
3rd March 2016, 08:32 AM
You can do individual devices or the network as a whole - no idea if that will work on TV app as haven't done that yet.

You can even change what region is used for certain channels as per the pic

OK, sorry to be such a pain.

Just trying to get my head around it all. So when you set this up you changed the settings in your router? Then you use the browser to change to the region you want? But you mentioned you can change it just on individual devices? Is that something to do with the dns over vpn thing they offer, or is it just standard? Cause ideally, we'd like to be able to access other netflix regions on my media pc ((or TV app) and switch between aussie and usa as needed) but keep the kids devices (tablets and laptops) on the Aussie region.

Dangals
3rd March 2016, 08:55 AM
OK, sorry to be such a pain.

Just trying to get my head around it all. So when you set this up you changed the settings in your router? Then you use the browser to change to the region you want? But you mentioned you can change it just on individual devices? Is that something to do with the dns over vpn thing they offer, or is it just standard? Cause ideally, we'd like to be able to access other netflix regions on my media pc ((or TV app) and switch between aussie and usa as needed) but keep the kids devices (tablets and laptops) on the Aussie region.

no worries - not a pain at all.

Basically you can change the DNS on the router which then affects all devices that use the router to access the net or you can change the settings per device and leave the router alone. Doing the second option would seem to suit what you are wanting to achieve. They even have step by step guides for the different platforms.

The VPN thing is another type of setup that is you can do and is included in the fee you pay and it is just up to you if you want to do that. I haven't looked into it yet so can't really offer any advice on it as of yet.

goughy
3rd March 2016, 02:31 PM
Got it. Giving getflix a trial now. Looks like the per device method is the go, as the kids don't need access to the US content. Changed the dns settings on our TV, then using the app can change regions and TV just needs a reboot and off she goes. And just double checked that when it's set to Aus is still using our freezone and it is. Happier today now. Thanks Dangals.

Dangals
3rd March 2016, 02:39 PM
no worries - glad I could remove one of the reason you frequent that other thread 8)

PeteyD
3rd March 2016, 02:53 PM
no worries - glad I could remove one of the reason you frequent that other thread 8)
Only 50000 more to go

Is it worth it? We currently running a free trial with presto and stan.

Presto is not counted which is why it appeals. We also get foxtel play (again not counted).

Stan is counted, as would netflix be if we got it.

So if we went to netflix and binned stan and presto, and then went to USA would we effectively get the same stuff?

Dangals
3rd March 2016, 03:21 PM
no Netflix is not something I would be looking to for latest release movies - it gets the occasional thing but most of the time you have to wait till its on DVD before it shows up. I think for the price if you watch a lot of TV and don't mind waiting for seasons to finish then yes it is. Also if you have kids there are generally always lots of kids shows on there and being able to set individual profiles that tailor what shows it recommends is pretty cool.

As far as being counted why not just look at changing to an internet plan with an unlimited data download? Before the NBN was connected I was just using TPG's $59 a month for unlimited ADSL2+ and streamed/downloaded basically everything.

PeteyD
3rd March 2016, 03:23 PM
Nah because of where we are and the exchange I have to stick with BogPond. So changing is not an option.

Dangals
3rd March 2016, 03:27 PM
Damn that sucks... I can understand being cautious about the quota then