PDA

View Full Version : Country Memberships

Eag's
26th February 2016, 06:17 PM
Hi all,

I have just renewed my country membership (Howlong Golf Club) earlier this week.
Can you still play open comps with a country membership? When I was playing regularly a few years ago, some clubs did not allow this.
Has anything changed?

Captain Nemo
26th February 2016, 08:41 PM
Interested to hear about this also, I might do the same in the near future.

Grunt
26th February 2016, 09:01 PM
I have never not been able to get a game. Cant really call it an open comp if it is not open.

Dotty
26th February 2016, 09:12 PM
I think someone here had a problem at Glenmore Heritage using a country course membership.

Gungahlin Lakes has Howlong as a recip., but only if the player resides more than 50km from Gungahlin Lakes.

Eag's
27th February 2016, 08:38 AM

A country membership suits me Captain due to the fact my interest in golf can fluctuate. Forking out money for a full membership would be a costly exercise for me long term.
Glad to hear I can still get on and play open comps :)

Grunt
27th February 2016, 08:48 AM
The only issue I have heard of was like Dotty said, I also have heard country members being of being charged more but has never happened to me though. Why would any club knock back an open comp player in these difficult financial times for them is beyond me?

Sydney Hacker
27th February 2016, 08:51 AM
The only issue I have heard of was like Dotty said, I also have heard country members being of being charged more but has never happened to me though. Why would any club knock back an open comp player in these difficult financial times for them is beyond me? Not sure if this was written tongue in cheek, but I would think the very simple reason is to be fair to their member base who have paid an annual membership fee as well as the comp fee of the day, as opposed to the country member who has paid a greatly reduced fee somewhere else. I don't think it is unreasonable for a club to ask someone who has taken up the greatly reduced option to pay a green fee on top of the comp fee out of fairness to their own members.

Grunt
27th February 2016, 08:58 AM
Not sure if this was written tongue in cheek, but I would think the very simple reason is to be fair to their member base who have paid an annual membership fee as well as the comp fee of the day, as opposed to the country member who has paid a greatly reduced fee somewhere else. I don't think it is unreasonable for a club to ask someone who has taken up the greatly reduced option to pay a green fee on top of the comp fee out of fairness to their own members.

Not a problem charging a fee, I mean the straight out refusal to let on the course. Just dont call them open days if they are not open.

3Puttpete
27th February 2016, 08:58 AM
Not sure if this was written tongue in cheek, but I would think the very simple reason is to be fair to their member base who have paid an annual membership fee as well as the comp fee of the day, as opposed to the country member who has paid a greatly reduced fee somewhere else. I don't think it is unreasonable for a club to ask someone who has taken up the greatly reduced option to pay a green fee on top of the comp fee out of fairness to their own members.

I think Grunt's talking about country members paying more than the standard visitor's fee. Neither are members at the club they're playing that day.

mrbluu
27th February 2016, 10:24 AM
They have this option for u at Boonie Doon??

I think someone here had a problem at Glenmore Heritage using a country course membership.

Gungahlin Lakes has Howlong as a recip., but only if the player resides more than 50km from Gungahlin Lakes.

The only issue I have heard of was like Dotty said, I also have heard country members being of being charged more but has never happened to me though. Why would any club knock back an open comp player in these difficult financial times for them is beyond me?

Not a problem charging a fee, I mean the straight out refusal to let on the course. Just dont call them open days if they are not open.
I'm positive it was Glenmore that refused to let Howlong Members play at all. Which to me was a bit silly cos they only ran half a comp and struggled to get numbers for that.

AndyP
27th February 2016, 10:25 AM
I might speak to my club come membership renewal time about offering a "handicap maintenance" membership. I'd prefer the money went to them, but if they aren't interested, I may have to look elsewhere.

Daves
27th February 2016, 10:41 AM
Lifestyle memberships seem to be becoming more common. Reddie Bay has one now that seems to be popular;

http://www.redlandbaygolf.com.au/cms/wp-content/uploads/2013/Docs_/Golf%20Docs%20Web/Lifestyle%20Membership%202015%202016%201067.600.pd f

3Puttpete
27th February 2016, 10:55 AM
Link not working but Carbrook and Wynnum have something similar.

Moe Norman
27th February 2016, 01:38 PM
I'm gonna chuck in my Brisbane GC membership and join Boonah as a full member.

$400 a year, 10 minutes from my parents place so i figure I'll play the a bit too.

Dotty
27th February 2016, 03:05 PM
Why would any club knock back an open comp player in these difficult financial times for them is beyond me?
To discourage current members from giving up their membership, and the income derived from annual subs, weekly comp fees, halfway house, post game food and drinks.

For Glenmore, a member pays $1k subs and another $2k-$4k in comp fees and food/beverage (depending how often he plays in the year).

If the member went to remote membership and did the round robin of open days (playing once a month at Glenmore, as there is no longer a cost saving by being loyal to the local club), then it is $0k subs and $400-500 in fees and F&B.

So the club now only receives 10% of the original annual income from that member. This then puts pressure on the other club members to cover the total income needed to run a golf course, so it is in acceptable condition for visiting once-a-month players (or they will threaten to take their open day money elsewhere).

Grunt
27th February 2016, 03:06 PM
Totally understand that. Just don't get the outright refusal or to charge an unreasonable fee to a country member.

3Puttpete
27th February 2016, 03:15 PM
To discourage current members from giving up their membership, and the income derived from annual subs, weekly comp fees, halfway house, post game food and drinks.

For Glenmore, a member pays $1k subs and another $2k-$4k in comp fees and food/beverage (depending how often he plays in the year).

If the member went to remote membership and did the round robin of open days (playing once a month at Glenmore, as there is no longer a cost saving by being loyal to the local club), then it is $0k subs and $400-500 in fees and F&B.

So the club now only receives 10% of the original annual income from that member. This then puts pressure on the other club members to cover the total income needed to run a golf course, so it is in acceptable condition for visiting once-a-month players (or they will threaten to take their open day money elsewhere).

How many members have said they maintain full membership and play weekly because if they went to Howlong they wouldn't be allowed to play an open comp once a month?

Dotty
27th February 2016, 03:28 PM
How many members have said they maintain full membership and play weekly because if they went to Howlong they wouldn't be allowed to play an open comp once a month?
Since the GFC, we've had 40-50 members per year either leave or down-grade their membership (to non-playing).

They fall in two categories, 30yo with first mortgage/kid (and no longer get an age discount) and self-funded retirees, that haven't qualified for the seniors discount (30 years membership). I still see them playing golf, as a visitor, at open days at cheaper courses and weekends away in the country, with their wife or mates.

(Our subs are a lot higher than Glenmore and we don't have open days.)

3Puttpete
27th February 2016, 03:30 PM
Since the GFC, we've had 40-50 members per year either leave or down-grade their membership (to non-playing).

They fall in two categories, 30yo with first mortgage/kid (and no longer get an age discount) and self-funded retirees, that haven't qualified for the seniors discount (30 years membership). I still see them playing golf, as a visitor, at open days at cheaper courses and weekends away in the country, with their wife or mates.

So the answer is none. The discouraging them from leaving thing isn't really working.

They've taken all of their money and the club doesn't even get their visitor fee once a month.

Dotty
27th February 2016, 03:41 PM
So the answer is none. The discouraging them from leaving thing isn't really working.

They've taken all of their money and the club doesn't even get their visitor fee once a month.
The answer is all of them.

We don't have open days, so they have left to get cheaper golf elsewhere.

Glenmore on the other hand is not worth the hassle of driving there or putting up with 5 hour rounds. (I only play there every couple of years, when it is on our social club matchplay roster.) Being discouraged from playing there is a good thing.

damoocow
24th June 2016, 10:36 PM
Eags - have you played any Open Comps since you joined?.....what was the response when you booked/played?

Jarro
25th June 2016, 09:01 AM
Eags - have you played any Open Comps since you joined?.....what was the response when you booked/played?
I had him booked to play a comp at Nudgee and they had no probs with him playing ?