PDA

View Full Version : Nippon Modus 105 Stiff or X Stiff

icandy
26th February 2016, 01:46 PM
Hi guys,
I've been looking at Nippon Modus 105 shafts and been going around in circles.
Currently I play KBS Tour V stiff shafts. I used to Play KBS Tour S, loved the feel of it but apparently I spun the ball too much.
I'm enjoying the KBS Tour V shafts but want something with similar feel and launch slightly higher for my 716 AP1s.

I'm thinking Nippon Modus 105 because apparently it has similar feel to KBS Tours however slightly lighter.
The only issues for me is, does it spin too much? Is the 106g stiff shaft too light for me? Should I soft step the X stiff. Currently I play 110g, not a big difference and my swing speed is about 85-87mph mark.

I also saw this below comparison chart and apparently it launches higher the xp90? Is that bull crap?

http://www.finessence.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2016/02/shaft-compare.png

Titleist are saying it launches quite higher the KBS Tour too.

http://www.finessence.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2016/02/Titleist.jpg

Quite a few of you guys have a bit of experience with this shaft, so I thought i'd ask you guys. The Golfwrx guys didn't help me much :)

spanner039
26th February 2016, 01:51 PM
ill let you know after my round tomorrow about the 105's, they seemed pretty good at the range but course and range are pretty different for me we swing about the same speed

Could be a set for sale soon, ill probably want something with similar feel but lower launch

benno_r
26th February 2016, 02:12 PM
Personally, I found them to be lower the DG XP and KBS Tour.

It is the first shaft I have hit in a while where I actually said "wow, that's low". I also regularly use Modus 120s, C Taper Lite S, C Taper S, sf100reg, RIP Tour 115reg for comparison. My 6i swing speed is 85mph.

Jazz18
26th February 2016, 02:17 PM
Benno_r rates the modus 105 highly but everyones different. I'm playing modus 130s in my irons at the moment (just changed from NS Pro 950) and really like them. There's quite a few guys that don't like them though because they go high. Some guys have said they spin too much for them too but I haven't found that yet. It's all very much personal preference so to get a real picture, you just have to get out there and hit them. For another suggestion though, you can still get super peening orange and super peening red from Japan. The orange is supposed to similar in launch and spin to KBS Tour and the red is similar in launch and spin as orange, just a bit lighter weight.

Jazz18
26th February 2016, 02:18 PM
Personally, I found them to be lower the DG XP and KBS Tour.

It is the first shaft I have hit in a while where I actually said "wow, that's low". I also regularly use Modus 120s, C Taper Lite S, C Taper S, sf100reg, RIP Tour 115reg for comparison. My 6i swing speed is 85mph.

Thought you might weigh in here mate. I was typing while you were posting.

dM.
26th February 2016, 02:29 PM
Benno_r rates the modus 105 highly but everyones different. I'm playing modus 130s in my irons at the moment (just changed from NS Pro 950) and really like them. There's quite a few guys that don't like them though because they go high. Some guys have said they spin too much for them too but I haven't found that yet. It's all very much personal preference so to get a real picture, you just have to get out there and hit them. For another suggestion though, you can still get super peening orange and super peening red from Japan. The orange is supposed to similar in launch and spin to KBS Tour and the red is similar in launch and spin as orange, just a bit lighter weight.

Hey Mate, in regards to the 130's do they launch higher then KBS Tours? I've had KBS Tour X's and went back to DG X100's as there was only about 1/2 Degree launch difference for me and the DG's just feel so much better. I soft stepped them to get the launch a little higher as I hit a real low ball. In regards to flex I read up that the 130's play really strong and most people compare 130's in stiff to KBS Tours X and DG X100's in terms of flex.

Thoughts?

Jazz18
26th February 2016, 03:38 PM
Hey Mate, in regards to the 130's do they launch higher then KBS Tours? I've had KBS Tour X's and went back to DG X100's as there was only about 1/2 Degree launch difference for me and the DG's just feel so much better. I soft stepped them to get the launch a little higher as I hit a real low ball. In regards to flex I read up that the 130's play really strong and most people compare 130's in stiff to KBS Tours X and DG X100's in terms of flex.

Thoughts?

Hey dM. Yep, for me, modus 130 does launch higher than KBS Tours. I'm a fan of KBS Tours as well and before that played project x flighted 6.0 and DG S300 for a long time prior to that. I haven't been playing the 130's for long but when I hit it properly (and don't flip adding loft and spin) the modus 130 flight is quite amazing. It's high and doesn't balloon, for me. It's just as high (maybe higher) than NS Pro 950's (used them prior to the 130's) but spin much less for me. I'd say out of the three you mentioned, highest to lowest launch would be 130's, KBS Tour, DG's but spin highest to lowest would be reverse order. Bear in mind, this is what I've found. Others have different opinions. Just for reference, my driver swing speed is 105ish mph. Oh, and the 130's do feel a touch strong to flex compared to the others. Cheers

dM.
26th February 2016, 03:54 PM
Hey dM. Yep, for me, modus 130 does launch higher than KBS Tours. I'm a fan of KBS Tours as well and before that played project x flighted 6.0 and DG S300 for a long time prior to that. I haven't been playing the 130's for long but when I hit it properly (and don't flip adding loft and spin) the modus 130 flight is quite amazing. It's high and doesn't balloon, for me. It's just as high (maybe higher) than NS Pro 950's (used them prior to the 130's) but spin much less for me. I'd say out of the three you mentioned, highest to lowest launch would be 130's, KBS Tour, DG's but spin highest to lowest would be reverse order. Bear in mind, this is what I've found. Others have different opinions. Just for reference, my driver swing speed is 105ish mph. Oh, and the 130's do feel a touch strong to flex compared to the others. Cheers

What are you playing the 130's in, S or X? Whats the 6i SS at? 90's or a touch lower?

Appreciate the reply, I found that the KBS Tours felt firm, didn't get that soft feeling from them like I get with DG's but performance wasn't a problem.

Jazz18
26th February 2016, 06:41 PM
What are you playing the 130's in, S or X? Whats the 6i SS at? 90's or a touch lower?

Appreciate the reply, I found that the KBS Tours felt firm, didn't get that soft feeling from them like I get with DG's but performance wasn't a problem.

I'm playing stiff flex and can confidently say the x would be too stiff for me. Having said that, I've just picked up a set of 120's in x-stiff as I've heard they can be soft to flex. I think 6 iron swing speed is high 80's and up to low 90's if I'm swinging/feeling good.

D22marshall
27th February 2016, 02:47 PM
I will have a set of Nippon 1150 tours up for sale soon meant to be inbetween a r300 and s300 and a bit lighter.
Looking for a set of shimada tour X if anyone has a set

spanner039
27th February 2016, 05:25 PM
in from my first hit out with the 105s

couple of thoughts:

Great flight!!! lower and rather surprisingly less spin than DG SL's, no balloning at all.

they play a lot stiffer than any other S flex i have played

Nice no really nioce shafts

they were in new heads, pretty promising will see what the next few rounds bring when i get used to them. there were a couple of way, way, way rights that i just dont do with Irons, sure ill get used to them

Captain Nemo
27th February 2016, 06:32 PM
You could hit anything spanner, #flusher....

spanner039
27th February 2016, 07:11 PM
You could hit anything spanner, #flusher.... Not no more................

Captain Nemo
27th February 2016, 07:14 PM
not no more................

bullshit!

davidw88
29th February 2016, 07:35 PM
Just bought a set of I E1 irons with these shafts in them, hopefully they go alright.

live4golf
29th February 2016, 07:49 PM
Just bought a set of I E1 irons with these shafts in them, hopefully they go alright.

One of my mates ordered his today with the Modus 105's, he is excite. I just have crappy steelfibers in mine :)

davidw88
29th February 2016, 08:31 PM
One of my mates ordered his today with the Modus 105's, he is excite. I just have crappy steelfibers in mine :)

I just got a used set off ebay. I've been watching ebay for a set of I E1 to try and these come up cheap enough, will see how the shafts go.

Jazz18
29th February 2016, 10:30 PM
Pretty good as a stock offering for Ping. They have a couple of other good ones too.

icandy
1st March 2016, 01:35 PM
Booked myself into Pureform tomorrow to try a few shafts with 716 AP1s. They have Modus 105 in regular and x stiff but not stiff. Will see how it goes.

oldracer
3rd March 2016, 09:49 AM
Booked myself into Pureform tomorrow to try a few shafts with 716 AP1s. They have Modus 105 in regular and x stiff but not stiff. Will see how it goes.report pls???

icandy
5th March 2016, 09:19 PM
They didn't have the shafts in the end! They'll let me know next time when they will have them, however I tried what they have and i was killing it with the modus 120. Hitting 6 irons ~180m. So decided to go with that and for my AP2s as I snapped my 9 iron on my AP2.... I ordered a modus 125 to try out. I think the heavier weight will suit me rather than 105.

davidw88
12th March 2016, 07:27 AM
My Ie1 with these shafts turned up and hit a few balls, seem to get a similar flight to my 716 ap1 with amt s300. Will get them out again in a few weeks after club champs are done.