PDA

View Full Version : 5 Wood Shaft Help Needed

Matt 3 Jab
9th May 2006, 05:17 PM
Ive got an 18.5 degree 975F 5 wood that needs to be re-shafted because i think its too heavy and whippy for me to hit.
These are my choices ive thought of, and I need help deciding which would be best.

1. Reshaft with a DGS300 3 iron length, so would have to butt extend a bit i guess.

2. Use my old driver shaft which is a Proforce 75 Gold stiff flex and cut it down 3 inches.

3. Buy and use a stiff NV shaft from a mate

4. buy a second hand shaft from one of you fine people.

So throw your ideas at me or let me know if certain options wont work i.e. shaft tip in proforce is too big (dont know if it is or not)
Thanks

Falcon
9th May 2006, 05:46 PM
I'd go with number 2! Good stable shaft at 77-80grams and you could tip it to play firmer if you need it, cos from what i've seen you smack the poop out of it :p

I threw a Proforce FW stiff in my Precept 5 wood and love it.. nice heavy at 86grams to boot! plus they can be had for only $60 something.

Matt 3 Jab
9th May 2006, 06:50 PM
The only concern of #2 is the fact that because i cut 3 inches off it, wouldnt it play X flex or more?
Not saying i couldnt hit it, but id have to smash it all the time, therefore the 5 wood may become not as acurate as i want it.
If someone knows what a stiff flex cut 3 inches flex's out at that would be good info.
Thanks falcon :D

Falcon
9th May 2006, 07:30 PM
UST recommends 2" of tipping for a 5 wood so it would play stiff still and slightly stronger past anything else. I reckon you could handle it :smt023

I think its the best of the four.

Goodluck in your quest though ;)

rick3003
9th May 2006, 09:07 PM
Matt, Tip the pro force 2 inches and butt trim it 1 inch.

I have always liked the feel of the pro force shafts. Great value shafts.

Way better than NV imo.

3oneday
9th May 2006, 09:58 PM
Isn't it bore through ??? shouldn't what you are putting into it play stiffer because of this fact ??

Matt 3 Jab
10th May 2006, 07:57 AM
Its the non bore through model 3oneday, so should play the same.
Which clubfitter in south west sydney should i get to do this club for me?anyone know someone??

BrisVegas
10th May 2006, 10:48 AM
What about option 5...

5. Sell it to CoffsHacker when you guys play....

Matt 3 Jab
10th May 2006, 02:23 PM
Good option that, but leaves me 5-woodless, and i like the idea of a 5 wood. Proforce i think is the go, so i will take it to my contact and get it done before the matchplay round.