PDA

View Full Version : How many lessons should one get from a pro?

Kaniss
18th February 2016, 11:43 AM
Just a quick one Gents, how many lessons do you guys get once you begin with a coach? 2? 3? 5? 10? My coach and I have had about 2 lessons now and I have decided to just keep going with him. 1-2 lessons per month until the end of the year. What do you guys think, too much or just right?

He is a great coach and I have really started to understand my errors after just 2 lessons and my iron game is improving really well, which has inspired me to keep going.

Captain Nemo
18th February 2016, 12:07 PM
You should go once a month or so.
Any closer together and you won't have time to work on what he's trying you to achieve.
OR: whatever the pro recommends...

Dangals
18th February 2016, 12:19 PM
+1 to what Capt said - if you can find someone who you gel with and understand what he is recommending you do to improve your swing then monthly would be best. Gives you time to implement whatever changes he wants to make before going back.

razaar
18th February 2016, 12:40 PM
There u go - answered your own question. Mate, everybody is different, we all do things differently, feel things differently, our experiences are different and we learn things differently. Golf is all about self-education. The pro can point us in a particular direction, but at the bottom line is with us.
If we come to golf as adults from other sports, then our task will be a challenge. Movements that we carry with us from other sports tend to be a hindrance rather than an asset for most of us. The aim of lessons should be to form a concept of the swing we are being taught and go away and work on them. It is important to understand that the pro doesn't know you as you know yourself. He will provide advice that makes perfect sense to him but not to the pupil. Most times they expect the pupil to fill in the gaps (not on purpose) if the pupil doesn't ask questions.
I remember having a lesson once, and was told to get the shaft vertical during the back swing. I asked him how to do it and he told me it is best to work it out myself. I never went back.

oldracer
18th February 2016, 01:03 PM
I think I had 3 lessons over the span of a month cause I wanted to try and "get" what he was showing/instructing me in. Once a month would be ideal too I think.

Hatchman
18th February 2016, 01:25 PM
I was going every 2 weeks at one stage but we were mixing it up between swing/video short game and on course play game management lessons. Did that for about 4 months.

mrbluu
18th February 2016, 01:30 PM
I remember having a lesson once, and was told to get the shaft vertical during the back swing. I asked him how to do it and he told me it is best to work it out myself. I never went back.

Not enough lines of text for you :razz:

TheNuclearOne
21st February 2016, 10:28 PM
I was going every 2 weeks at one stage but we were mixing it up between swing/video short game and on course play game management lessons. Did that for about 4 months.

How did the results go with that lot Hatchy?

damoocow
21st February 2016, 10:35 PM
Has anyone ever asked for a refund if there is no improvement?

Hatchman
22nd February 2016, 09:38 AM
How did the results go with that lot Hatchy?

Mixed results but the hcp change would suggest terrible.
This was back under the old hcp system where you went out 0.1 for the bad ones. When I started on the journey I was on 3.6 and in 18 months had blown out to 8.4 and walked away for 6yrs.
My short game (chipping & pitching) improved heaps.
Putting got a bit better but was already quite sound.
Ball striking went backwards badly and the improved short game was required more than ever to save a lot of pars (cant go low making up/down pars all day).
In the quest to build a better more consistent swing I'd lost the ability to make solid contact and compress the ball like I used to. The best way to describe it is I was b!tch slapping it with inconsistent contact missing more greens than when I was a bit erratic. It did my head in as I was hitting a lot of balls during the week working on what I was going to lessons for. Maybe my reverse pivot and dip/collapse follow through faults were too ingrained after 20yrs.

Has anyone ever asked for a refund if there is no improvement?
Maybe I should have given the above.

TheNuclearOne
22nd February 2016, 01:01 PM
Interesting stuff. Are you confident what he was doing with you was right in the full swing or would you now think i should have gone elsewhere?

Hatchman
22nd February 2016, 05:21 PM
Interesting stuff. Are you confident what he was doing with you was right in the full swing or would you now think i should have gone elsewhere?

I understood what we were working on and where we trying to get too but I just couldn't unlock the feel or movements that linked it together. I did go to another coach and things got slightly better after 14months and possibly could of unlocked it all but I was mentally cooked through frustration by that point so walked away from the game as I wasn't enjoying it anymore.

6months after playing again after my 6yr holiday I found a Titleist institute seminar on line that talked about the active and inactive muscles and how they are all interlinked. There was one bit in the chain to do with pushing both knees outwards that made it all make sense when I tried it, sadly 7rs too late.