PDA

View Full Version : Help Required! Getting off the ground

Huynhie
16th February 2016, 10:00 AM
So I've been playing for a while now and not a great golfer (off 20) but love the sport. My problem is that one day I can hit my irons terrifically, long and dead straight. BUT on every other day, i have a problem where i cant actually get the ball off the ground. I hit them fat a lot of the time and if I'm not doing that, i shank/grubber them hard left.

Is it a mental issue? How can there be such a variance from day to day?

Lucasto23
16th February 2016, 10:22 AM
Most likely a weight shift issue. Without knowing anything else. It you right handed, imagine there is a wall on your right hand side and you are turning into it and also twist your right foot into the ground and really feel your gripping it with your big toe. Should help a it with the fat shots

Huynhie
16th February 2016, 10:42 AM
Awesome. Thanks for the advice. Will give it a go.

Think you're right in that it is a weight shift issue. Especially the hitting of the ball fat. Highly frustrating spending money to go to a range or course to not be able to hit the ball in the air so any any tips are much appreciated

oldracer
16th February 2016, 10:59 AM
welcome to the forum, grab some lessons, doesn't lessen the frustration but at least you know you are doing something about it

mrbluu
16th February 2016, 11:35 AM
So I've been playing for a while now and not a great golfer (off 20) but love the sport. My problem is that one day I can hit my irons terrifically, long and dead straight. BUT on every other day, i have a problem where i cant actually get the ball off the ground. I hit them fat a lot of the time and if I'm not doing that, i shank/grubber them hard left.

Is it a mental issue? How can there be such a variance from day to day?

Probably a good chance to buy a new driver and a putter or 2!!!

or get a few lessons and understand what you are actually doing. ie swing path etc.

Huynhie
16th February 2016, 11:56 AM
Probably a good chance to buy a new driver and a putter or 2!!!

or get a few lessons and understand what you are actually doing. ie swing path etc.

haha that's what i've been doing (the former) and realised it isn't solving anything!

mrbluu
16th February 2016, 11:58 AM
haha that's what i've been doing (the former) and realised it isn't solving anything!
Pfffttt that sensible talk has no place on Ozgolf!!!

TheNuclearOne
16th February 2016, 12:38 PM
Love how this reads on the face page

Help Required! Getting off... (http://www.ozgolf.net/showthread.php/47265-Help-Required!-Getting-off-the-ground?goto=newpost) by mrbluu (http://www.ozgolf.net/member.php/6345-mrbluu)

razaar
16th February 2016, 12:55 PM
Lawn bowls might be a better choice, old mate. Closer to the bar too.

3oneday
16th February 2016, 01:00 PM
Isn't that reserved for over 70's?

;)

razaar
16th February 2016, 01:11 PM
Getting there.☺

Huynhie
17th February 2016, 06:42 PM
Had another go today and was having another shocker. Then I tried putting my feet together and ball forward of my left foot. Started hitting them clean as a whistle albeit with major pulls. What the eff is going on!

oldracer
17th February 2016, 06:58 PM
Had another go today and was having another shocker. Then I tried putting my feet together and ball forward of my left foot. Started hitting them clean as a whistle albeit with major pulls. What the eff is going on!post agin after and only after lessons!!!! give yourself a chance to succeed

mrbluu
17th February 2016, 07:56 PM
Had another go today and was having another shocker. Then I tried putting my feet together and ball forward of my left foot. Started hitting them clean as a whistle albeit with major pulls. What the eff is going on!

Go again tomorrow. U said every second day is shit, so that means every other day is good, tomorrow should be good. :p