PDA

View Full Version : The Mental Game

Slug
13th February 2016, 07:38 PM
so heres how it is folks....ive got this one hole, the 16th, par 5 road down the left.
it gets in my head every single time i step up to that tee box.....dont hit left, dont hit left.
i havent scored on this hole for i dont know how long, and its ruined many solid rounds that i had going.

my natural driver shape is a nice fade, but no matter how well im hitting driver that day, i end up hooking onto the road, or slicing so far right, i end up on the far side of the next fairway.

its killing my game.
basically, my question is, do people have any particular holes that really get in their heads, and if so, how do you/have you get around this.

thanks!

AndyP
13th February 2016, 07:41 PM
I recognise that it is a trouble hole, and find a different way to play it. Maybe go conservative off the tee, and accept bogey as a good result for confidence.

PeteyD
13th February 2016, 07:59 PM
Yes don't hit driver

mrbluu
13th February 2016, 08:03 PM
Buy a new putter....[emoji16]

Like the lads said, play it differently and/or get out on that hole in a practice round and double check your alignment.

razaar
14th February 2016, 05:42 AM
Google strategies for dealing with anxieties in golf. When we focus on results and goals in performing any action, it tends to lead to a build up of tension in the body which impacts on performance. The key is being able to forget the goal of a good score and focus on the process of making your best shot every time you step up to the ball. Get your mind fully involved in the shot with no thought of the result.
Easy to say but hard to do when anxiety rears its head. Breathing helps as does challenging your thinking why a simple par-5 scares you.

Dotty
14th February 2016, 07:39 AM
Keep playing the hole the same way, as your handicap already takes this into account.

If you suddenly started playing it better, then you would be accused of being a sandbagger.

Courty
14th February 2016, 03:11 PM
Par 5s often take 3 shots to reach, and driver is rarely necessary. 3 x 160-170m will get you to most. Try a different club that you know you can keep in play.

timah!
14th February 2016, 04:11 PM
Maybe start with a positive 'let's but this down the right' thought rather than a negative 'don't go left' thought?

Daves
14th February 2016, 04:57 PM
Par 5s often take 3 shots to reach, and driver is rarely necessary. 3 x 160-170m will get you to most. Try a different club that you know you can keep in play.

^This

Slug
14th February 2016, 06:51 PM

thanks for all the suggestions, this one here i particularly like. a smarter person (clearly not me) would of already considered that.
gonna try that out next round.
thanks again!

Lagerlover
14th February 2016, 07:30 PM
Google strategies for dealing with anxieties in golf. When we focus on results and goals in performing any action, it tends to lead to a build up of tension in the body which impacts on performance. The key is being able to forget the goal of a good score and focus on the process of making your best shot every time you step up to the ball. Get your mind fully involved in the shot with no thought of the result.
Easy to say but hard to do when anxiety rears its head. Breathing helps as does challenging your thinking why a simple par-5 scares you.

+1

dee cee
14th February 2016, 09:26 PM
But how many of us can hit 160-170 straight... 3 times. Depends on your game. Go to the tee through the week and hit 20 drives with old balls. You'll probably lose minimal if any. Then you know next time you can do it. Go through your routine, visualize those good shots, pull the trigger....

Scifisicko
15th February 2016, 09:20 AM
Maybe start with a positive 'let's but this down the right' thought rather than a negative 'don't go left' thought?

+1

These guys take the credit for causing Robbie to hit it in the water. They probably did.
http://www.theage.com.au/news/sport/forget-tigers-troops-heres-the-robbie-rousers/2009/11/12/1257615126076.html

LeftyHoges
15th February 2016, 03:00 PM
But how many of us can hit 160-170 straight... 3 times. Depends on your game. Go to the tee through the week and hit 20 drives with old balls. You'll probably lose minimal if any. Then you know next time you can do it. Go through your routine, visualize those good shots, pull the trigger....

But you don't have to hit them "straight". For a regular 18 capper, a 5 iron probably goes about 160. You have 30 metres of room to land that 5 iron twice, then maybe a 15m target at the end. That covers your majority of 460-480m par 5's.

We just can't bring ourselves to do it because "Par 5's need the BIG DOG!"

oldracer
15th February 2016, 03:34 PM
I get looks now when I pull out the hybrid or 2i, howdya go pullin out a 6i on the tee for a par 5???? guess when you say "whatever par is" when asked your score at the other end is all that matters

Yossarian
15th February 2016, 03:56 PM
The issue is I'd rather pull hook my driver (in most cases) than pull hook my 5 iron. I am as likely to do it with one clubs as another.

Lagerlover
15th February 2016, 03:56 PM
Oops, sorry.

Thought this was the Gary Lyons thread.

benno_r
15th February 2016, 04:00 PM
The issue is I'd rather pull hook my driver (in most cases) than pull hook my 5 iron. I am as likely to do it with one clubs as another.

Yep, better to be chipping sideways back on to the fairway 200m down, not 130m down.

Courty
15th February 2016, 05:16 PM

I wasn't suggesting that anyone actually plays par 5s this way, it was an illustration that there are more ways than one to get there in 3 (besides the usual driver, long iron, wedge).

Hatchman
15th February 2016, 05:35 PM

But you don't have to hit them "straight". For a regular 18 capper, a 5 iron probably goes about 160. You have 30 metres of room to land that 5 iron twice, then maybe a 15m target at the end. That covers your majority of 460-480m par 5's.

We just can't bring ourselves to do it because "Par 5's need the BIG DOG!"

Substitute straight for in play, it's still a very valid point. I wouldn't back myself as a high possibility to keep it in play for 2 shots and hit the target on the third even if I did.

This.

Yep, better to be chipping sideways back on to the fairway 200m down, not 130m down.

Yes, this.

I like the heaps of practice balls method. Build up the confidence and just play it like any other hole.

LeftyHoges
15th February 2016, 05:43 PM
Substitute straight for in play, it's still a very valid point. I wouldn't back myself as a high possibility to keep it in play for 2 shots and hit the target on the third even if I did.

Really? You're a single figure marker and you wouldn't back yourself to hit 5 iron, 5 iron then probably a 6 or 7 iron into the green?

3oneday
15th February 2016, 05:53 PM
Thats a short par 5 for some of us, under 400!!! :lol:

Jazz18
15th February 2016, 06:21 PM
Sometimes being more aggressive can pay off. You have to be able to forget about the results though otherwise the mental challenge increases. When I became more aggressive off the tee on one of my trouble holes my scores on that hole improved because on average, it makes the second shot significantly easier.

Hatchman
15th February 2016, 06:25 PM
Really? You're a single figure marker and you wouldn't back yourself to hit 5 iron, 5 iron then probably a 6 or 7 iron into the green?

Yep, I don't do safe well on the golf course. I seem to find ways to c@ck it up 99 times out of 100 and then it does my head in big time.

solarman
15th February 2016, 06:57 PM
Haysey plays par 5's awesome. 8I, 8I, driver off the deck, wedge, putt.

solarman
15th February 2016, 07:01 PM
Personally I prefer the driver, leather wedge, hybrid, over arm throw out of the bunker, putt, chip, putt method for par 5's.

coalesce
15th February 2016, 07:02 PM
Yep, I don't do safe well on the golf course. I seem to find ways to c@ck it up 99 times out of 100 and then it does my head in big time.

As a chopper, there is nothing more frustrating than c@cking up a shot that was supposed to be a safe option. So generally I go for the more aggressive option. Which is probably why I'm still a chopper

WBennett
15th February 2016, 07:11 PM
Personally I prefer the driver, leather wedge, hybrid, over arm throw out of the bunker, putt, chip, putt method for par 5's. I am sure I have seen that video

rubin
15th February 2016, 07:57 PM
I get looks now when I pull out the hybrid or 2i, howdya go pullin out a 6i on the tee for a par 5???? guess when you say "whatever par is" when asked your score at the other end is all that matters

This has been the biggest change in my game (as well as learning to play).

Standing on the 18th (my 9th) playing at about 450m downwind. I pull 2i, and old mate gives me a funny look.

Old mate: it's a lot further than you think. You know this is a par 5 right?
Me: yep.
Old mate: You'll have a lot of work to do if you don't take driver.
Me: I'll play it safe. Drivers not working so far.
Old Mate: trust me, you'll want to play driver.

Result: old mate wipes after slicing the **** out his drive into a backyard.
I go 2i down the middle and pick up 3 points.

razaar
15th February 2016, 08:07 PM
If you are not prepared to hit a driver on a par-5, then when do you pull it out of the bag (other to clean it). I can understand leaving it in the bag if there is an obstacle/s in your driver range, or if it is being a mongrel during the round. But by passing it because you're a weak wimp must give one a good feeling. I can see now why there is such a brisk trade in drivers on the forum.☺

Lagerlover
15th February 2016, 08:09 PM
If you are not prepared to hit a driver on a par-5, then when do you pull it out of the bag (other to clean it). I can understand leaving it in the bag if there is an obstacle/s in your driver range, or if it is being a mongrel during the round. But by passing it because you're a weak wimp must give one a good feeling. I can see now why there is such a brisk trade in drivers on the forum.☺

+1

rubin
15th February 2016, 08:23 PM

For me - it's either:
A) when it's behaving or,
B) when it will make it easier. I have a 520m par 5 that's normally into the teeth and uphill most of the way. Unless I am killing it with the driver (or there is no wind), it provides zero benefit to play it. I am far better off playing hybrid/3wood short of trouble and laying up on the second

Shadesy
15th February 2016, 10:05 PM
Lose the first and make Birdie with the second... Easy 6

LeftyHoges
16th February 2016, 06:16 AM
Lose the first and make Birdie with the second... Easy 6

Ha ha. I love the "Shadesy method"!!!