PDA

View Full Version : 2016 Qld Champs Monday Thread - **Maroochy River***

benno_r
12th February 2016, 08:41 AM
OK team,

Plenty of interest for a Monday Round at Maroochy River GC: http://maroochyrivergolfclub.com.au/

So... What we have have is: Maroochy River Monday Round!

I have 3 groups booked from 9:00am

Costs (price breaks start at 12 players):
Round: $43 ($65 if we don't get 12)
Carts: $32 ($40 if we don't get 12)
NTP / LD prize fee: $5

To keep costs down, there will be no overall cash prize for the day.

Since this will be the first Monday of the month (though a public holiday), it may also be the Black Swan challenge (back marker event). This will be confirmed once tee times are open / fixtures for May are released.

Confirming pay on the day, or upfront, will announce soon. If we get more players, I will add groups - feel free to come up from Brisbane on the Public Holiday!

Cheers,
Ben

Player
Cart
Total
Comments

Benno_r
N
$48

Daves
N
$48

Jimandr
N
$48

Highballin
N
$48

Lucasto23
N
$48

Pete_RS
N
$48

Shaz_RS
N
$48

SundayHack
N
$48

Wazamac
N
$48

PeteyD
12th February 2016, 08:45 AM
Awesome. No cart for now.

SundayHack
12th February 2016, 09:38 AM
Pencil until I work out flights.

benno_r
12th February 2016, 09:47 AM
Slight tweak guys - tee times now from 9:00am.

wazamac
12th February 2016, 10:05 AM
Have to talk to the "one who knows all" but very interested.

Lagerlover
12th February 2016, 10:39 AM
Have to talk to the "one who knows all" but very interested. Yes Waz, you can play.

wazamac
12th February 2016, 10:54 AM
You wish! But I know you would look good in a Summer Dress.:lol:

LeftyHoges
12th February 2016, 12:10 PM
I missed my annual VIC Champs Monday round win this year. If I come can I please win this one instead?

benno_r
12th February 2016, 12:21 PM
I missed my annual VIC Champs Monday round win this year. If I come can I please win this one instead?

If it gets you here Lefty, of course!

As long as you are happy to win the left handed division. And beat Daves and Highballin...

LeftyHoges
12th February 2016, 12:25 PM
If it gets you here Lefty, of course!

As long as you are happy to win the left handed division. And beat Daves and Highballin...

LH division is all off the stick, yeah? And has a bigger prize pool than the "norms", yeah?

benno_r
12th February 2016, 12:39 PM
LH division is all off the stick, yeah? And has a bigger prize pool than the "norms", yeah?

Yes. it is now!

wazamac
13th February 2016, 07:26 PM
Definite starter now😀

benno_r
13th February 2016, 07:31 PM
Definite starter now

Welcome aboard. Assume no cart, but can update if you choose to.

jimandr
14th February 2016, 04:02 PM
Definite starter now��

Waza can share a Monday cart with me, as I owe him half a cart fee from Glenelg (to answer a question Benno asked me earlier).

wazamac
14th February 2016, 05:53 PM
Cheers Jim, foot is a lot better now and do prefer to walk.

highballin
6th March 2016, 09:46 PM
No cart for me Benno

backintheswing
6th March 2016, 10:06 PM
No cart for me Benno

Jazzdog just breathed a sigh of relief

highballin
7th March 2016, 05:58 AM
Jazzdog just breathed a sigh of relief

Haha I am on a self imposed ban from carts!

SundayHack
7th March 2016, 11:01 AM
Lock me in now please Benno. I may have to be in the first group off that is all. Driving back home after the round.

Matt 3 Jab
11th March 2016, 07:28 PM
pencil!

benno_r
18th March 2016, 08:33 AM
Ok lads, want to grab another 5 people to fill the 3 groups, or even 9 and I'll book another.

Public holiday in Qld, so even if you aren't coming up for the champs, come up for an Ozgolf hit on Labour Day!

peter_rs
18th March 2016, 08:19 PM
Benno you don't have us listed

benno_r
18th March 2016, 08:23 PM
Benno you don't have us listed

I do so!!! 8)

Walking or carts Pete?

peter_rs
18th March 2016, 09:41 PM
Walking at this stage

Matt 3 Jab
19th March 2016, 08:14 AM
I'll be 50/50 depending on flights.

benno_r
19th March 2016, 08:24 AM
I'll be 50/50 depending on flights.

No worries mate.

I can look at earlier if most people want that.

benno_r
11th April 2016, 05:44 AM
Confirmed that the comp for the day (single stableford) doesn't kick off until 11:00am. So this will be the chance for everyone to play without fear of handicap dropping.

backintheswing
11th April 2016, 08:16 AM
Do you know if they have an open comp on Saturdays?

benno_r
11th April 2016, 08:23 AM

They do have a comp, not sure if it is open or not. Think Sunday might be open comp day.

markTHEblake
28th April 2016, 08:05 PM

speaking from experience, you have next to no chance of getting in this comp,except from maybe the evening before or on the day, Full membership, full comp.

backintheswing
28th April 2016, 08:17 PM
speaking from experience, you have next to no chance of getting in this comp,except from maybe the evening before or on the day, Full membership, full comp.

I have called and they said it should be no problems, just need to call on the Wednesday before.

benno_r
2nd May 2016, 11:54 AM
We got an early start today. After a number of waterlogged dropouts, 4 hardy souls fronted for a great day of golf.

Course was excellent - real great fun, not overly penalising, and large interesting greens.

The course still showed some evidence of rain being soggy in some parts of the fairway, but otherwise condition was good.

Weather turned it on too. Sunny with a few light clouds, a light breeze kept the temperature just right.

Final results:
Highballin 38
benno_r 37
Daves 30
Wazamac 23

Thanks for the round lads.

peter_rs
2nd May 2016, 11:56 AM
Perfect day

highballin
2nd May 2016, 03:14 PM
Well it was great to have the sun out this Morning when we arrived.

Some observations on the day's play.

Benno won the ball flight show award with some very impressive straight drives. I got him by a stroke on the results table

Wazza showed great restraint and didn't throw or break his driver

Daves won the grandstand finish award, putting on a birdie show for the peanut gallery on the last hole (great finishing hole with approach over water to a green in front of clubhouse)

Mrs Benno wins the good listener award (by the way Benno does Mrs Benno fully understand the shortcomings of a clicgear buggy now:D)

The course itself was a real surprise and was much better than I expected. The reports I have heard from other people were that it was ok.
I thought it was very good just the right mix of challenge and reward for the average club golfer.
Greens were excellent and very large in general so pin position important. The fairways were generous and even though there were plenty of bunkers they weren't really in play a lot of the time.

All in all the course the weather and company made for an enjoyable mornings golf.

wazamac
2nd May 2016, 08:16 PM
Thanks for the hit today guys.
Thanks for putting up with the absolute crap that fills my game at the moment.
Course was pretty good but my favourite for the weekend would be Noosa.
Maroochy River will certainly be an excellent course once it establishes.

Daves
3rd May 2016, 06:40 AM
Thanks for organising this round Benno, it was worth the wait. I really enjoyed the layout, though I was over the sloppy conditions by the end. The Hips are aching this morning.

Massive green complexes with lots of mostly subtle movement. The green were in excellent nick, and the course itself seemed to have settled down reasonably well for its still relatively young age. We probably saw it at its most vulnerable. The Fairways were fairly tightly grassed, not a lot of lushness, so ball striking would need to be good in dry conditions. And being so open, you would imagine it would get hard and fast. The bunkering looked good, though some seemed superfluous, and not in play for the average amateur. Though whether that would hold in dry conditions I am not sure? I suspect there would be plenty of run in this course which would bring the bunkers and hazards much more into play than we saw. I will certainly be back there at opportunity, perhaps for a Black Swan event.

For those that are interested, there is a course flyover video here;

http://maroochyrivergolfclub.com.au/golf-course-sunshine-coast/

goughy
3rd May 2016, 07:00 AM
I wouldn't know how to play it! What would I take from the trees???

I think it's like around the corner from my inlaws old place. I'd say shame they moved, but it's not like I took clubs up with me when we went there any way. This is the replacement for Horton Park or something isn't it, the old one in the middle of Maroochydore?

AndyP
3rd May 2016, 09:04 AM
This is the replacement for Horton Park or something isn't it, the old one in the middle of Maroochydore?That's the one. I was disappointed to miss playing this course, but I was busy yesterday.

goughy
3rd May 2016, 09:05 AM
What could possibly have happened yesterday that was more important than golf?

AndyP
3rd May 2016, 09:22 AM
What could possibly have happened yesterday that was more important than golf?
Beer and food when someone else is paying.

goughy
3rd May 2016, 09:24 AM
Sounds kinda important