PDA

View Full Version : Tyre-kicking... Driver for length (with a little bit of accuracy)

LeftyHoges
11th February 2016, 02:03 PM
So, as I was brutalised by Matty on Friday, and well outdriven by 5'5" Norwegian guys on Sunday, I'm on the hunt for a new driver. One I can really give a good hard thwacking. I'll keep my 910D2 as a fairway finding machine, but I'm after a driver I can really step on and help me keep up with the big boys. What head do you all recommend? (I'll most likely put in one of my 38 Whiteboards I have at home)

Bear in mind I won't buy new, so has to be able to be got in 2nd hand, left handed. Rare as rocking horse shit, I know.

benno_r
11th February 2016, 02:09 PM
Since you're a flusha, you can handle the big boy drivers:
Cobra FLY Z+
Mizuno JPX850
Tour Edge XCG7 beta (m3J weapon of choice)

backintheswing
11th February 2016, 02:10 PM
Another vote for the fly z+ here.

LeftyHoges
11th February 2016, 02:20 PM
Since you're a flusha, you can handle the big boy drivers:
Cobra FLY Z+
Mizuno JPX850
Tour Edge XCG7 beta (m3J weapon of choice)

I did take special note that he was using the TE XCG7. Are they even available in lefty?

Another vote for the fly z+ here.

Interesting. I had a little magic fairy working on Fly Z+'s for me pre-champs but we just couldn't get one for the right price.

wazandnic
11th February 2016, 02:21 PM
It's maybe too similar to your 910 and some may even say straighter but shorter?? but I do have a 913D3 9.5° LH head I picked up as I wanted the shaft, if you want to experiment with that one??

benno_r
11th February 2016, 02:26 PM
I did take special note that he was using the TE XCG7. Are they even available in lefty?

Interesting. I had a little magic fairy working on Fly Z+'s for me pre-champs but we just couldn't get one for the right price.

I don't think the Exotics are available left handed. I think M3J bought all of them in the world and melted them down just so you couldn't get any.

JPX850 and Cobra certainly come left handed.

What about this:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/COBRA-LH-FLY-Z-DRIVER-HEAD-ONLY-GOOD-CONDITION-225853-/351640815677?hash=item51df6d083d:g:CtEAAOSwa-dWqiRU

LeftyHoges
11th February 2016, 02:27 PM
It's maybe too similar to your 910 and some may even say straighter but shorter?? but I do have a 913D3 9.5° LH head I picked up as I wanted the shaft, if you want to experiment with that one??

Probably not the 913 as I haven't heard great reports about. If I was going Titty again I'm definitely interested in the 915, but not the 913, sorry mate.

LeftyHoges
11th February 2016, 02:29 PM
I don't think the Exotics are available left handed. I think M3J bought all of them in the world and melted them down just so you couldn't get any.

JPX850 and Cobra certainly come left handed.

What about this:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/COBRA-LH-FLY-Z-DRIVER-HEAD-ONLY-GOOD-CONDITION-225853-/351640815677?hash=item51df6d083d:g:CtEAAOSwa-dWqiRU

Cheers mate, I'll scour around, but yeah, definitely haven't seen the XCG7 in Lefty. Cunning 3-jabbing bastard, who may I say, didn't have a single bloody 3-stab when I played him!

I note that's the Fly Z standard(?), whats the difference in the + model?

benno_r
11th February 2016, 02:30 PM
Cheers mate, I'll scour around, but yeah, definitely haven't seen the XCG7 in Lefty.

That's def the + model mate.

Std FLY Z has a fixed weight at the back, FLY Z+ has the flip weight forward or back.

Shadesy
11th February 2016, 02:30 PM
Gammon has one that would go miles

simmsy
11th February 2016, 02:31 PM
+ allows u to move weight fwd

Speak with shades or JC as they both have the +

LeftyHoges
That's def the + model mate.

std as a fixed weight at the back, FLY Z+ has the flip weight forward or back.

Ah OK, cheers. Good to know the difference. Item now on watch list.

Gammon has one that would go miles

I thought there'd be a mention of that.

Yossarian
Cheers mate, I'll scour around, but yeah, definitely haven't seen the XCG7 in Lefty. Cunning 3-jabbing bastard, who may I say, didn't have a single bloody 3-stab when I played him!

Just use a right handed one?

benno_r
11th February 2016, 02:33 PM
+ allows u to move weight fwd

Speak with shades or JC as they both have the +

Can't really say how they play them though. Haven't seen JC hit it, and was too busy focussing on Shadesy's rippling traps to see his ballflight.

Dotty
11th February 2016, 02:34 PM
Or just drink the 'one eighty straighty' kool-aid.

rick3003
11th February 2016, 02:35 PM
I found the Adams XTD to be really long but couldn't find a fairway

thecollective
11th February 2016, 02:35 PM
Lefty: JPX 850 for you, hands down

I can move it either way in the air with ease (fade or draw) - pity the rest of the game doesn't follow suit

It is not the most forgiving driver - but with your ball striking you wont worry about that

I might be able to bring mine down to PF for you to try

LeftyHoges
11th February 2016, 02:36 PM
Or just drink the 'one eighty straighty' kool-aid.

I currently skull the 220 straighty kool-aid. I know I said I was gonna be on 6 for next VIC champs but 180 might get me out to 10 or 11!

LeftyHoges
11th February 2016, 02:39 PM
I found the Adams XTD to be really long but couldn't find a fairway

No good then. I'm not as good a ball-striker as I claim to be / others think I am. The 910 I have is the first driver that has ever really worked for me.

Lefty: JPX 850 for you, hands down

I can move it either way in the air with ease (fade or draw) - pity the rest of the game doesn't follow suit

It is not the most forgiving driver - but with your ball striking you wont worry about that

I might be able to bring mine down to PF for you to try

That'd be great if you could TC, very tempted by the Mizzy. "Not the most forgiving" part worries me though, see answer above. I want long, but point and shoot long, not draw 20 metres long. Have no desire to work it through the air at all. If I have to hit draw or fade I'll settle for the 210 hybrid off the tee to position.

hippo10
11th February 2016, 02:42 PM
What about this Lefty?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/LH-Callaway-X2-Hot-5-5-Degree-Long-Drive-Head-ONLY-LDA-RARE-TOUR-ISSUE-/191803702679?hash=item2ca8643d97:g:XiMAAOSwll1Wu6q 9

LeftyHoges
11th February 2016, 02:49 PM
What about this Lefty?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/LH-Callaway-X2-Hot-5-5-Degree-Long-Drive-Head-ONLY-LDA-RARE-TOUR-ISSUE-/191803702679?hash=item2ca8643d97:g:XiMAAOSwll1Wu6q 9

:shock: JAYSUS!!!!

Gotta be able to carry the water 50 yards in front of me mate!

mrbluu
11th February 2016, 03:01 PM
Sounds like 5'6"/5'5" is the perfect height to knock it past u ;)

LeftyHoges
11th February 2016, 03:22 PM
Sounds like 5'6"/5'5" is the perfect height to knock it past u ;)
4'3" could knock it past me mate, I'm a powderpuff.

mrbluu
11th February 2016, 03:23 PM
4'3" could knock it past me mate, I'm a powderpuff.
You are right, Eca knocks it past u too

LeftyHoges
11th February 2016, 03:27 PM
You are right, Eca knocks it past u too

Probably does, haven't had the pleasure of playing with him to prove it though.

PeteyD
11th February 2016, 03:29 PM
The driver Shadesy was using had an awesome flight when he hit it well.

Scifisicko
11th February 2016, 03:31 PM
No good then. I'm not as good a ball-striker as I claim to be / others think I am. The 910 I have is the first driver that has ever really worked for me.

That'd be great if you could TC, very tempted by the Mizzy. "Not the most forgiving" part worries me though, see answer above. I want long, but point and shoot long, not draw 20 metres long. Have no desire to work it through the air at all. If I have to hit draw or fade I'll settle for the 210 hybrid off the tee to position.

JPX 850 - spin of the SLDR with forgiveness of the Jetspeed! You can tune it so its SLDR like, or splay the weights and make a Jetspeed, you can crank the loft from 8-12. If you want to kill spin to get distance its as good as it gets. XCG7b or XCG6 were also very low spin bombers. Longest drive i every hit was a flushed knuckleball with an XCG6, but i never felt 100% comfortable with the look and somehow ended up trading it for the 7b. In terms of spin, XCG6 was more often lower than the xcg7b (with my chop) and therefore longer.

I game the Nike Vapor Flex over the Mizzie. Its another worm raper, not quite the mizzie or xcg6 but close.

I am curious about a second hand M1, was stunned how many journeymen pros were using it this week at the Vic PGA (every second player), even those sponsored by other brands. I haven't hit it but it must be a bomber.

benno_r
11th February 2016, 03:34 PM
I had a JPX850 for a while Lefty. I have hit the longest drives I have ever hit with it. It is less forgiving than what you have, but not SLDR unforgiving.

My problem is repetitiveness of swing (being the massive choppa that I am), and for me it was unforgiving. For you I don't imagine it's an issue, and would be an excellent option.

LeftyHoges
11th February 2016, 03:36 PM
The driver Shadesy was using had an awesome flight when he hit it well.

And awesome flight through the air when he didn't?

JPX 850 - spin of the SLDR with forgiveness of the Jetspeed! You can tune it so its SLDR like, or splay the weights and make a Jetspeed, you can crank the loft from 8-12. If you want to kill spin to get distance its as good as it gets. XCG7b or XCG6 were also very low spin bombers. Longest drive i every hit was a flushed knuckleball with an XCG6, but i never felt 100% comfortable with the look and somehow ended up trading it for the 7b. In terms of spin, XCG6 was more often lower than the xcg7b (with my chop) and therefore longer.

I game the Nike Vapor Flex over the Mizzie. Its another worm raper, not quite the mizzie or xcg6 but close.

I am curious about a second hand M1, was stunned how many journeymen pros were using it this week at the Vic PGA (every second player), even those sponsored by other brands. I haven't hit it but it must be a bomber.

Cheers Sci. Good wrap-up.

Can't hurt me to try a couple I suppose! ;)

benno_r
11th February 2016, 03:45 PM
Can't hurt me to try a couple I suppose! ;)

Worth a flight to the World's Largest Leftorium???? (ie the Daves garage / pro shop)

Captain Nemo
11th February 2016, 04:01 PM
Gammon has one that would go miles Haha, would love to see lefty hit that one!!

Daves
11th February 2016, 04:04 PM
Worth a flight to the World's Largest Leftorium???? (ie the Daves garage / pro shop)

Hehe, and I have all the Drivers on the shortlist other than the Exotic (7) and an M1! And both are on my watch list! I do have an XCG6 9* that I struggle to launch, so suspect it is super low spin as well.

The Mizzy is definitely a bomber, and super low spin. I don't really swing fast enough to get the best out if it unfortunately. The low spin nature gives the less forgiving feel imo. It is actually very straight most of the time.

Ditto the Fly Z+. Weight FWD, it is close to the Mizzy, very low spin. Weight back it is pretty much the Fly Z/Bio Cell. The Bio Cell + is another to consider, I have a spare head in this. Unfortunately they didn't make a Bio Cell Pro in LH, I gather it is also a bomber.

Callaway XR Pro is another long driver worth considering. You can pick them pretty cheap now that Callaway has upgraded the XR to XR 16.

I find the Adams Fast 12 LS and Super LS very long for me. They do lightweight as well as any I have tried. I have spare Fast 12s.

oldracer
11th February 2016, 04:51 PM
http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1253338-cobra-fly-z-driver-150-shipped-price-drop/ pretty cheap

LeftyHoges
11th February 2016, 05:13 PM
http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1253338-cobra-fly-z-driver-150-shipped-price-drop/ pretty cheap

Ships to lower 48 only though, and would be over $200 Aus, which I can find here.

TheNuclearOne
11th February 2016, 05:45 PM
Are you losing distance due to high spin? How high are you launching it?

LeftyHoges
11th February 2016, 05:49 PM
Are you losing distance due to high spin? How high are you launching it?

I'd have to refer to my playing partners for clarification but I wouldn't describe anything I hit as a high ball flight. Could be wrong though.

Haven't set foot near a launch monitor in years (they're not exactly easily accessible to me) but I'd think I was around the 14° launch angle.

simmsy
11th February 2016, 05:54 PM
Yeah your launch isn't high with your 910. Wouldn't want any lower mate. If you could get higher without spin it would go better I reckon.

TheNuclearOne
11th February 2016, 07:05 PM
I'd have to refer to my playing partners for clarification but I wouldn't describe anything I hit as a high ball flight. Could be wrong though.

Haven't set foot near a launch monitor in years (they're not exactly easily accessible to me) but I'd think I was around the 14° launch angle.

Get any upshoot or rise in flight? If you're missing out on distance you might be hitting down on it a little especially given you can obviously swing the golf club. The 910D2 isn't the lowest spinning driver either admittedly.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Taylor-Made-SLDR-460-9-5-Driver-Head-ONLY-LH-LEFT-MINT-/371547394934?hash=item5681f35376:g:DQEAAOSwZ1lWcID M

LeftyHoges
11th February 2016, 07:12 PM
Get any upshoot or rise in flight? If you're missing out on distance you might be hitting down on it a little especially given you can obviously swing the golf club. The 910D2 isn't the lowest spinning driver either admittedly.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Taylor-Made-SLDR-460-9-5-Driver-Head-ONLY-LH-LEFT-MINT-/371547394934?hash=item5681f35376:g:DQEAAOSwZ1lWcID M

Not that I can pick. Just a standard, bog average ball flight.

I actually may not be missing out on any distance and I could be at my theoretical limit, but I just feel like I could hit it longer.

TheNuclearOne
11th February 2016, 07:15 PM
Fair enough. A decent monitor would let you know instantly.

I'd look for a Titleist demo night or similar, things would become clear in no time.

LeftyHoges
11th February 2016, 07:19 PM
Fair enough. A decent monitor would let you know instantly.

I'd look for a Titleist demo night or similar, things would become clear in no time.

Would love to. Nearest one would be 300k's away, probably on a Wednesday night. :lol:

TheNuclearOne
11th February 2016, 07:28 PM
Would love to. Nearest one would be 300k's away, probably on a Wednesday night. :lol:

Might be worth it to hahaha. Get a car pool :D

typhoon
11th February 2016, 08:28 PM
Im in the same boat mate, currently play a Nike Vapor but just bought an M1. Definitely ALOT longer, but the feel just isnt for me. Played 2 rounds with it and really wanted to love it. Its for sale now, if your interested PM me.

LeftyHoges
11th February 2016, 08:37 PM
Im in the same boat mate, currently play a Nike Vapor but just bought an M1. Definitely ALOT longer, but the feel just isnt for me. Played 2 rounds with it and really wanted to love it. Its for sale now, if your interested PM me.

Are you a lefty?

typhoon
11th February 2016, 08:46 PM
Are you a lefty? Yeah mate. Would have listed it on here though that was only my first post haha. 10.5 with Fujikura Pro S Flex

typhoon
11th February 2016, 09:19 PM
Can sell head only if that helps too.

LeftyHoges
11th February 2016, 09:30 PM
Can sell head only if that helps too.

Hmmm, would have to be head only. Fujis and I DO NOT get along.... :lol:

typhoon
11th February 2016, 09:38 PM
Haha, let me know mate.