PDA

View Full Version : NSW: EOI - NSW Champs 2017

mrbluu
11th February 2016, 12:01 PM
Guys just bouncing a few ideas around for times that would suit the most people for Ozgolf NSW Champs 2017. Keeping in mind I'm trying to keep a thought for other OzGolf Champs, Kids Sports, Pennants, Club Champs, School Holidays, Coring the greens etc. I've come up with the following options.

Please let me know which one would suit you better.

mrbluu
11th February 2016, 12:12 PM
Open to suggestions on courses and locations

Dangals
11th February 2016, 12:31 PM
you could always keep it in the city area itself

course suggestions: (In no particular order)
NSW, Royal Sydney, Australian, Lakes, Bonnie Doon, Avondale, Killara etc..

Surely you can wrangle some of those up for the 3-4 days ;)

benno_r
11th February 2016, 12:34 PM
In August:
Kooindah / Magenta / Shelley Beach / Newcastle
Murwillumbah / Byron / Ocean Shores
The Australian x3 days...

oldracer
11th February 2016, 12:34 PM

Jazz18
11th February 2016, 12:54 PM
In August:
Kooindah / Magenta / Shelley Beach / Newcastle
Murwillumbah / Byron / Ocean Shores
The Australian x3 days...

Wouldn't lower myself to playing the Australian for three days mate. I'm told it's rubbish ;)

wazandnic
11th February 2016, 01:21 PM
I've voted "other" All those dates basically cover kids winter sports! :(

I've always thought mid to late October / Early Nov. Best dates as winter sports, footy season finishes and summer sports yet to pick up.

Riverside Oaks was a great accommodating venue that is kind of close to city... could tie it in with a Fri/Mon game on one of the better Sydney courses as Sydney courses in general just too difficult on weekends.

You could nearly do a 5 year rotation:
1. Mt Broughton
2. Bonville
3. Central Coast / newcastle, etc.
4. Murray
5. City-ish

then repeat?

Or even throw in Wollongong as another not to far away option for interstaters to fly and drive to: Wollongong, Port Kembla, ShellCove... or a little further Mollymook / Narooma / Merimbula - cheap options just a longer drive!

Just some random thoughts...

Dotty
11th February 2016, 01:51 PM
Preferably the closer to Sydney, the better.
But that limits the Saturday game to Lucas Heights, Lynwood, The Springs or possibly Riverside Oaks.

The first one around Mittagong RSL was good.
Ditto last year, but substitute Horizons instead of the drive to the Vintage.

wazandnic
11th February 2016, 02:00 PM
Yeah Hunter Valley another good option and should be separate to Central Coast

Peppas
11th February 2016, 02:13 PM
I like Waz's suggestion

benno_r
11th February 2016, 02:21 PM
I like Waz's suggestion

Does Waz have an umbrella? :D

Lynwood / Riverside x2 would be sweet.

mrbluu
11th February 2016, 02:22 PM
As its a long way away no decisions have been made, but here are my thoughts/rabblings.

If I am organising it again (after this year, maybe everyone won't want me to), I would ideally like it to be around August/ early September so its warming up a little and we avoid the coring season and my club champs as well as other Ozgolf Champs. My first preference would be late March or early April, but this will cause a log jam of Ozgolf champs in the first half of the year.

Location wise I'm favouring closer to Sydney.

I've voted "other" All those dates basically cover kids winter sports! :(

I've always thought mid to late October / Early Nov. Best dates as winter sports, footy season finishes and summer sports yet to pick up.

Waz totally agree with the winter sports things maybe you can off load the kids on the missus for one weekend. ;).

Here is all the things we need to take into consideration.

Jan and December are pretty much out as the are school holidays and ppl are generally pretty busy.

November has been SA Champs and by all accounts they want to continue with the tradition.

October is Club Champs for me, so I'm definitely out.

Feb/March is Vic Champs and Pennant Season.

April/September is coring season.

April/May is WA/QLD Champs

Not sure if I'm missing anything, but as you can see, the calender is pretty full!!!

wazandnic
11th February 2016, 02:23 PM
I do indeed have a spare brollie! :)

And B, I do indeed off load on the missus on more than one weekend! ;)
My issue stems as I am usually coach manager of older sons team and also manage my younger sons team, so not just about her looking after the kids casually for a weekend. Plus I already have one annual golf trip in June that sees me MIA plus at least 2 or 3 work trips... there lies the conundrum!

Peppas
11th February 2016, 02:26 PM
I do indeed have a spare brollie! :)

Booyah!

Captain Nemo
11th February 2016, 04:06 PM
you could always keep it in the city area itselfcourse suggestions: (In no particular order)NSW, Royal Sydney, Australian, Lakes, Bonnie Doon, Avondale, Killara etc..Surely you can wrangle some of those up for the 3-4 days ;)Dan, that would never happen..,

Dangals
11th February 2016, 04:17 PM
Dan, that would never happen..,

I know mate just giving him something to work towards [emoji57]

PeteyD
11th February 2016, 04:21 PM
Wouldnt worry about clashing with other champs too much except vic.

oldracer
11th February 2016, 04:25 PM
Wouldnt worry about clashing with other champs too much except vic.where's the popcorn? :roll:

benno_r
11th February 2016, 04:28 PM
Wouldnt worry about clashing with other champs too much except vic.

If you had any idea how awesome the NT champs were, you wouldn't be saying that! :D

3oneday
11th February 2016, 04:36 PM
You could also get a Saturday on Dunheved for an afternoon comp game.

KristianJ
11th February 2016, 04:40 PM
Mid to late March just before daylight saving finishes, with the NW Sydney swing (except Stonecutters instead of Lynwood). The timing of TCC last year was perfect in terms of daylight hours.

Although south coast is very appealing...I'm thinking of doing this myself later in the year.

Dangals
11th February 2016, 04:51 PM
if we are talking courses out this way like stonecutters, Riverside etc then I would add Twin Creeks to that list as well

Captain Nemo
11th February 2016, 04:53 PM
Batemans Bay/mollymook hilltops..
If I'm playing I'd like to get out of town for a night or 2...

wazamac
11th February 2016, 05:24 PM
Hoping to do one interstate champs per year and the next one to be NSW. Prefer to be end of March and will be happy to play wherever you fine chaps see fit.

mrbluu
11th February 2016, 05:35 PM
Hoping to do one interstate champs per year and the next one to be NSW. Prefer to be end of March and will be happy to play wherever you fine chaps see fit.
There is always NSW 2016 first ;)

benno_r
11th February 2016, 05:36 PM
There is always NSW 2016 first ;)
We already stole him for his once a year in "2016".

You got Hatchy, so we'll call it even... Lol

wazamac
11th February 2016, 05:38 PM
1 SAnker per year to top up Pep's addiction of sugary treats

benno_r
11th February 2016, 05:43 PM
1 SAnker per year to top up Pep's addiction of sugary treats
I am sure Yarrawonga is close enough to the SA border for peps to consider a top up!

Lagerlover
11th February 2016, 05:45 PM
Dubbo/Orange/South Goondiwindi

WBennett
11th February 2016, 07:49 PM
Batemans Bay/mollymook hilltops..
If I'm playing I'd like to get out of town for a night or 2...

Catalina has 27 holes, so you should be able to get access. It is 45 minutes south from Mollymook though and Narooma's another hour further down from the Bay.

Haven't played Hilltop in a couple of years, but last time I was there it was the best condition I had seen it, and they have had a wet summer.

Not much really worth playing around Nowra etc - or at least worthy of a Champs venue.

Grunt
11th February 2016, 08:14 PM
Guys, remember that a champs really has the golf as a 2nd tier option. I think the majority would agree the venues are 2nd to the camaraderie that the champs brings.

Lagerlover
11th February 2016, 08:16 PM
Guys, remember that a champs really has the golf as a 2nd tier option. I think the majority would agree the venues are 2nd to the camaraderie that the champs brings.

South Goondiwindi it is then??

KristianJ
11th February 2016, 08:17 PM
South Goondiwindi it is then??

DO they have a Maccas that permits walk thru?

Lagerlover
11th February 2016, 08:22 PM
I could pull a few strings...

WBennett
11th February 2016, 08:23 PM
Grunt

If thats the case, look at Orange. 3 courses in 1 town including the quality Duntryleague.

Lagerlover
11th February 2016, 08:24 PM
Grunt

If thats the case, look at Orange. 3 courses in 1 town including the quality Duntryleague.

Dubbo looked great from the road..

Grunt
11th February 2016, 08:28 PM
Grunt

I would go with that. Has anyone really had a bad champs experience?

Captain Nemo
11th February 2016, 08:32 PM
Grunt

That's a bloody good option, great country town, we'd have a ball....

Lagerlover
11th February 2016, 08:34 PM
Great idea boys. :roll:

WBennett
12th February 2016, 06:16 AM
Monsta has just come back from a 3 Day 3 Course trip that way. Can you give us your quick thoughts Kev?

oldracer
12th February 2016, 06:29 AM
Dubbo/Orange/South Goondiwindiwhere's Moree?

oldracer
12th February 2016, 06:33 AM
That's a bloody good option, great country town, we'd have a ball....added bonus of watching the locals from next to the Country Club come in for their supplies, some mind boggling sites :shock:

Dotty
12th February 2016, 06:33 AM
where's Moree?
Geographically - NSW.

For 'State Of Origin' selection - It's in Queensland!

oldracer
12th February 2016, 06:41 AM
Geographically - NSW.

For 'State Of Origin' selection - It's in Queensland!thanks Dotty, get that, just thought Lager missed Royal Moree in his grouping of champs courses

Sydney Hacker
12th February 2016, 07:18 AM
It has been mentioned before, but somewhere like the Southern Highlands staying at Kangaroo Valley would be a good option. The cabins there would allow for a pretty social setting and keep the costs down by taking your own booze. Not the best course, but it is a lot of fun to play in my opinion, with short par 5's making for some good stories afterwards.

You could tie it in with Mt Broughton on the weekend. Gerringong looks like a fun track to play one other day and then the other local tracks that are there. Timing would be crucial however with the cold/fog limiting early tee off at times.

kiwitown
12th February 2016, 02:00 PM
It has been mentioned before, but somewhere like the Southern Highlands staying at Kangaroo Valley would be a good option. The cabins there would allow for a pretty social setting and keep the costs down by taking your own booze. Not the best course, but it is a lot of fun to play in my opinion, with short par 5's making for some good stories afterwards.

You could tie it in with Mt Broughton on the weekend. Gerringong looks like a fun track to play one other day and then the other local tracks that are there. Timing would be crucial however with the cold/fog limiting early tee off at times.

+1

jimandr
12th February 2016, 03:50 PM
Weatherwise, the best time of the year for golf in NSW is March/April/May, but the weather at Horizons etc was great last year in June.

Regarding locations, Orange gets a bit cold in early winter through September, but it would be good in Autumn or late Spring.

I don't care in respect of date or location though. I'm travelling a long distance no matter what decision is made. But I did make a declaration when I left Sydney that I hoped to never go there again, so I'd have to think about a Champs at Stonecutters or Lynwood (or doesn't Lynwood count as Sydney?)

I'm also very surprised that Dangals, with his form in pro-ams, can't get us an invite at the top tracks.

mrbluu
24th February 2016, 10:30 AM
Bumping this for anyone else who might want to vote.

Grunt
24th February 2016, 10:50 AM
Deleted wrong thread

Dangals
24th February 2016, 11:38 AM
I'm also very surprised that Dangals, with his form in pro-ams, can't get us an invite at the top tracks.

Lol - mate I am winning my entry into those not because I know people who know people sort of thing, if I did I would be using them trust me.

Dangals
24th February 2016, 11:40 AM
another vote in favour of the Orange idea as the courses are good and I guess the idea of these things for most of us is that it's a trip away.

Captain Nemo
24th February 2016, 04:59 PM
Orange is a nice drive as well, not crazy far away.

Hatchman
25th February 2016, 11:55 AM
I'd most likely be in for somewhere around Orange.
Have always wanted to do a trip to Bathurst and go through the museum at a non big race meeting time, this would be the perfect opportunity.

mrbluu
15th March 2016, 10:28 AM
I'll put my cards on the table. At the moment I'm favouring keeping NSW Champs in the Late August Slot or move it back to June for a winter champs. The other times are just too busy for me.

If I'm still organising it in 2017, I'm also looking to having it close or in Sydney after the massive drive we need to do for the Murray Champs and might be easier if any interstate visitors want to join us.

benno_r
15th March 2016, 10:44 AM
I'll put my cards on the table. At the moment I'm favouring keeping NSW Champs in the Late August Slot or move it back to June for a winter champs. The other times are just too busy for me.

If I'm still organising it in 2017, I'm also looking to having it close or in Sydney after the massive drive we need to do for the Murray Champs and might be easier if any interstate visitors want to join us.

I still think we do the Eastlakes / The Lakes / The Australian treble. Super handy to the airport too.

backintheswing
15th March 2016, 10:47 AM
I still think we do the Eastlakes / The Lakes / The Australian treble. Super handy to the airport too.

I've heard The Australian is no good.

benno_r
15th March 2016, 10:55 AM
I've heard The Australian is no good.

Perfect for us choppas then.

Grunt
15th March 2016, 07:22 PM
Wouldnt it be better to do the 5 dayer, St Micks, NSW, Bonnie Doon, Australian & The Lakes :)

mrbluu
15th March 2016, 07:27 PM

Wouldnt it be better to do the 5 dayer, St Micks, NSW, Bonnie Doon, Australian & The Lakes :)

If you guys can get us on at these 5 places, I'll do the booking :mrgreen:

Grunt
15th March 2016, 07:29 PM
Dont they know who I am?

Golf Australia club tester 2013-14

AlexMc
17th March 2016, 09:43 PM
If you went with Orange I'd be playing Duntryleague, Wentworth and Bathurst...

mrbluu
23rd August 2016, 01:50 PM
Now that 2016 Champs are done and dusted, I'm going to give this another bump.

Happy to look at other options or if someone else wants to put their hand up, I'm happy to hand over the reigns.

WBennett
23rd August 2016, 03:22 PM
Now that 2016 Champs are done and dusted, I'm going to give this another bump. Happy to look at other options or if someone else wants to put their hand up, I'm happy to hand over the reigns. It was a shame dates didnt line up for me this year. Even two weeks later and I could have probably attended.

mrbluu
23rd August 2016, 04:14 PM
It was a shame dates didnt line up for me this year. Even two weeks later and I could have probably attended.
Any thoughts for next year???

wazamac
23rd August 2016, 05:04 PM
I'd be up for anywhere that the locals suggest. Haven't played anywhere in NSW before so already looking forward to it.
Wasn't there talk of around the Orange direction at about the same time of year?

mrbluu
23rd August 2016, 05:09 PM
I'd be up for anywhere that the locals suggest. Haven't played anywhere in NSW before so already looking forward to it.
Wasn't there talk of around the Orange direction at about the same time of year?
Yeah there is talk of Orange but I really don't want to travel next year.

mrbluu
22nd November 2016, 01:01 PM
Giving this one more bump. April/May looks like the date but nothing set in stone.

JADO75
22nd November 2016, 01:33 PM
It would be nice to have the NSW Champs in NSW

backintheswing
22nd November 2016, 01:46 PM
I vote st micks off the back tees for everyone, afternoon rounds only so there is a little breeze.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

davepuppies
22nd November 2016, 01:56 PM
I would be possibly keen if it is relatively local to Sydney. Not a huge fan of travelling though with young family.

mrbluu
22nd November 2016, 01:58 PM
It would be nice to have the NSW Champs in NSW
There hasn't been one outside of NSW.

I vote st micks off the back tees for everyone, afternoon rounds only so there is a little breeze.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Nah, I want ppl to actually enjoy NSW Champs[emoji13]

I would be possibly keen if it is relatively local to Sydney. Not a huge fan of travelling though with young family.
Yep, it will be as close to Sydney as we can make it.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Bitter
22nd November 2016, 02:09 PM
This goes for me too. If it is somewhere near Sydney it is a lot easier to get away for a day or to to play. ;)

kiwitown
22nd November 2016, 02:21 PM
I'm in on the condition that there is no wind,trees,water and bushes and there is a bar really close...

mrbluu
22nd November 2016, 02:23 PM
This goes for me too. If it is somewhere near Sydney it is a lot easier to get away for a day or to to play. ;)
You said that last year 😛

I'm in on the condition that there is no wind,trees,water and bushes and there is a bar really close...
Done. We'll just get u a chilli bin and leave u in the carpark. You'll probably score about the same 😛

kiwitown
22nd November 2016, 02:27 PM
You said that last year 

Done. We'll just get u a chilli bin and leave u in the carpark. You'll probably score about the same 

Harsh but fair..

Bitter
22nd November 2016, 03:24 PM
You said that last year 

Yeah then you had the champs down near VIC???

mrbluu
22nd November 2016, 03:44 PM
Yeah then you had the champs down near VIC???
That never changed, it was always going to be there!!😛

Anyway would be good to have u on board.

davepuppies
22nd November 2016, 03:44 PM
I remember when Matty was doing the champs, one of the options being discussed was the 2 courses side by side at Riverside Oaks.....

Not sure if this is a viable option or not?

mrbluu
22nd November 2016, 03:51 PM
I remember when Matty was doing the champs, one of the options being discussed was the 2 courses side by side at Riverside Oaks.....

It's definitely an option.....

Bitter
22nd November 2016, 04:16 PM
That never changed, it was always going to be there!!

Anyway would be good to have u on board.

Haha, I know.

Should be fine as long as it doesn't clash with one of my multiple kids sporting events. :lol:

kiwitown
22nd November 2016, 05:57 PM

That's not a bad idea as you can always play Lynwood as well and the accomodation is good at Riverside oaks. It is a little expensive though.

Micdeez
20th February 2017, 10:12 AM
Wow, this needs a bump!

Captain Nemo
20th February 2017, 10:28 AM
Wow, this needs a bump! Lol, you should talk!Where you been?

Micdeez
20th February 2017, 11:27 AM
Lol, you should talk!Where you been?

I've been secretly ho'ing a new golf set, without even trying to improve my game. =P~

Mate, its been a while. Honestly I lost interest due to personal reasons, but had a few lessons last few weeks and I feel good to get back into it.

How's BD going for ya!
And sorry to go off-topic Bluu :lol:

Captain Nemo
20th February 2017, 11:43 AM
BD is the bomb!

Anfield
7th April 2017, 06:27 AM
Greens on Gangurru were cored about 10 days ago.
Greens on Bungool getting cored either 10th or 18th of this month so all should be good for champs

mrbluu
7th April 2017, 07:11 AM
Greens on Gangurru were cored about 10 days ago.
Greens on Bungool getting cored either 10th or 18th of this month so all should be good for champs
Awesome!!!