PDA

View Full Version : Trying to ho, but shanking new irons.

sfdoddsy
9th February 2016, 08:00 PM
Well this is annoying.

After not playing for a few years, I'm getting back into the swing of things and have been 'upgrading' my bag.

New drivers are working OK.

New wedges are working great.

New putter isn't, but that's just me.

Next on my list was upgrading from my 10 year old JDM Callaway GBB irons.

I hit them well, but I figure surely there has been some improvement in 10 years.

Trouble is, every new iron I try I shank.

Callaway Apex. Taylormade RSi2. Titleist APM2.

The shops I've tried them out in think I am the world's biggest hack as I try to explain that normally irons are my strength whilst flinging balls staight right.

I never shank my current set (except after trying new ones).

I am looking for irons with less offset (although mine already have less than most Callaways), and I would have thought less offset would mean less chance of shanks.

But it is making it very hard to ho.

Any thoughts?

sfdoddsy
9th February 2016, 08:03 PM
Oops. Sorry about the formatting. Ozgolf hates iPads.Will fix.

Lagerlover
9th February 2016, 08:05 PM
Adams CB3s

Dotty
9th February 2016, 08:13 PM
Cleveland VAS.

kiwitown
9th February 2016, 08:29 PM
Cleveland VAS.

if you can shank these baby's, its time to take up bowls...

Hatchman
9th February 2016, 09:16 PM
Cleveland VAS.

Are there any of theses still around in the shape of a club still ( I use the word club loosely).
Thought they were all getting around with Kia badges.

sfdoddsy
9th February 2016, 09:20 PM

Ah, I remember the VAS. Truly horrible club.

The problem isn't that I shank.

Because normally I don't.

It's that I am only shanking the clubs I'm thinking of buying.

It's like my GBB irons are sitting in my bag sticking pins into everything I try and cackling.

kiwitown
9th February 2016, 09:20 PM
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Cleveland-VAS-792-Irons-3-9-with-Putter-RH-/131712924247

these beauties sold last week for $29 US

Hatchman
9th February 2016, 09:46 PM
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Cleveland-VAS-792-Irons-3-9-with-Putter-RH-/131712924247

these beauties sold last week for $29 US

Tell him, he's dreamin.

Lagerlover
9th February 2016, 09:59 PM
Start with the putter..

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Cleveland-VAS-Putter-Golf-Club-/281930171932?hash=item41a459061c:g:8pgAAOSwDuJWuFl N

kiwitown
9th February 2016, 10:06 PM
Start with the putter..

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Cleveland-VAS-Putter-Golf-Club-/281930171932?hash=item41a459061c:g:8pgAAOSwDuJWuFl N

they must have been on some trip when they designed these beauties, I'm almost compelled to make a bid!

mrbluu
9th February 2016, 10:32 PM
Well this is annoying.

After not playing for a few years, I'm getting back into the swing of things and have been 'upgrading' my bag.

New drivers are working OK.

New wedges are working great.

New putter isn't, but that's just me.

Next on my list was upgrading from my 10 year old JDM Callaway GBB irons.

I hit them well, but I figure surely there has been some improvement in 10 years.

Trouble is, every new iron I try I shank.

Callaway Apex. Taylormade RSi2. Titleist APM2.

The shops I've tried them out in think I am the world's biggest hack as I try to explain that normally irons are my strength whilst flinging balls staight right.

I never shank my current set (except after trying new ones).

I am looking for irons with less offset (although mine already have less than most Callaways), and I would have thought less offset would mean less chance of shanks.

But it is making it very hard to ho.

Any thoughts?
I would start by videoing your swing with your wedges irons and driver and compare that to your swing with new irons. Also try to understand what causes shanks for u, if u don't understand this, u have a long journey to over come them.

LarryLong
9th February 2016, 10:43 PM
Not sure if this is helpful, but I once bought an iron set and promptly shanked an entire bucket of balls at a driving range with them.

I put it down to differing swing weights, and I found that I took a short time to get used to the difference and adjust. I hear that the same swing with a lighter swing weight will cause the club to move away from the body slightly, and a heavier one will cause it to come through a little closer because of, well, physics and stuff.

sfdoddsy
9th February 2016, 10:54 PM
I would start by videoing your swing with your wedges irons and driver and compare that to your swing with new irons. Also try to understand what causes shanks for u, if u don't understand this, u have a long journey to over come them.

I know what causes shanks (for me). It's the same bad out to in, over the top swing that turns my impressive natural draw into an ugly pull hook.

I just don't know why it only appears when I'm trying new clubs.

Could be as simple as swingweight I guess.

mrbluu
9th February 2016, 10:56 PM
I know what causes shanks (for me). It's the same bad out to in, over the top swing that turns my impressive natural draw into an ugly pull hook.

I just don't know why it only appears when I'm trying new clubs.

Could be as simple as swingweight I guess.
Sound like a good guess to me. Also with newer clubs might be a little longer and slight strong lofts than the older stuff so the lie angles might be out a little bit as well.

TheNuclearOne
9th February 2016, 11:01 PM
Ah, I remember the VAS. Truly horrible club.

Hardto believe Pavin won his US Open wth them, and the woods to boot LOLOLOL

sfdoddsy
10th February 2016, 12:15 AM
That's why I bought a set, back in the day.

They were still horrible to play and to look at.

TheNuclearOne
10th February 2016, 12:21 AM
That's why I bought a set, back in the day.

They were still horrible to play and to look at.

I hit some demo's once. Didn't buy them tho so can't have beat my gamers.

razaar
10th February 2016, 12:25 AM
sfd
Betting the irons u currently use are very light weight in the head. You have learned how to adjust your swing to hit them. Put a club with a heavier head weight ( 6 - 10 grams is enough) and your swing will change. A similar thing happened to a mate when I replaced his CB heads with AP 2 heads + tip weights. The CBs were installed without weights and were very light. He started throwing his hands at the ball in the downswing instead of where they started at address - under his shoulders. We suffered through a few rounds and 30+ shanks before we sorted it out.

Jazz18
11th February 2016, 07:58 PM
Hardto believe Pavin won his US Open wth them, and the woods to boot LOLOLOL

I agree but those guys are so good it's almost not surprising at the same time. Know what I mean?

TheNuclearOne
11th February 2016, 08:08 PM
I agree but those guys are so good it's almost not surprising at the same time. Know what I mean?

It was tongue in cheek. No guy on tour is going to win a major giving away while major equipment advantages. The clubs obviously perfomed, even if a little, just a little, FUGLY LOL

sfdoddsy
12th February 2016, 06:26 PM
Went back to basics, hit a big bucket and no more shanks.

:)

blurry
12th February 2016, 06:48 PM
Went back to basics, hit a big bucket and no more shanks.

:)
not until theres a scorecard in your pocket anyway ,,,,, sorry

sfdoddsy
19th February 2016, 07:27 PM
Oops. Hit another big bucket today and hit more hosels than faces.

Not quite sure what to do tomorrow in the comp. The new irons (XR Pros) were a definite improvement over my old ones on Tuesday in terms of distance, dispersion and forgiveness. Not so much today.

Lagerlover
19th February 2016, 07:34 PM
I think the best thing you can do right now is get a fitting.

You may be surprised.

Johnny Canuck
19th February 2016, 08:05 PM
Shanks are caused by the club head getting outside the line.

Keep that left arm straight, right elbow tucked and don't come over the top.

sfdoddsy
26th February 2016, 07:16 PM
Oops. Hit another big bucket today and hit more hosels than faces.

Not quite sure what to do tomorrow in the comp. The new irons (XR Pros) were a definite improvement over my old ones on Tuesday in terms of distance, dispersion and forgiveness. Not so much today.

Funny old game. No shanks on the course. Even hit the 4 iron well.

Instead, I stuffed up my wedges and putting.

Lagerlover
26th February 2016, 07:20 PM
All good mate.

no putts go OOB or behind trees...

bunkers can be a problem