PDA

View Full Version : Time for new shoes - recommendations required

benno_r
8th February 2016, 06:30 PM
After 3 days of walking in my older FJ sports, my feet are killing me. Normally use FJ M Projects, which are better - but looking for the best.

Criteria:
Quality traction with spikes
Wide fit
Quality support, but still not too stiff for bulk walking
edit: Waterproof or extremely water resistant

Nike TW would be perfect, but I don't think they will be wide enough.

Any other recommendations?

Cheers,
Ben

Slug
8th February 2016, 06:39 PM
adipower boost if you can find some still. they are discontinued model now but some retailers still have stock.
i bought myself a second pair i felt they are that good.

Gammon
8th February 2016, 06:43 PM
Get from Fred couples loafers bro, spikes are so 2014

benno_r
8th February 2016, 06:50 PM
Get from Fred couples loafers bro, spikes are so 2014

Yeah, but I ain't Freddy Couples cool.

simmsy
8th February 2016, 06:52 PM
Ecco.
Everything else is just pretending.

FuzzyJuzzy
8th February 2016, 06:54 PM
FootJoy Contours are the best golf shoes I've ever worn - super comfy while still looking like a golf shoe. And pretty cheap - around $100 or less, if you shop smart.

rick3003
8th February 2016, 06:57 PM
I found the Nike Lunar Control to be a nice wide feet - equivalent to FJ extra wide

tim_golfer2
8th February 2016, 07:02 PM
Ecco.

Couldn't agree more..so comfortable.
But even from o/s they're very pricey at the moment.

The standard Bioms with yak leather are pretty waterproof but you can go the whole hog and get the goretex version (perhaps not from aussie shop)

benno_r
8th February 2016, 07:07 PM
Ecco.

I hear the love, yet to find a set wide enough yet.

I found the Nike Lunar Control to be a nice wide feet - equivalent to FJ extra wide

Nemo was bragging these on the weekend. Wish there was somewhere handy to demo them.

backintheswing
8th February 2016, 07:15 PM
Nike in Australia only stock the Wide fit, so if you are an 11, get the 11.5W. My TW14 are 11.5M for medium as I bought them straight from the states.

benno_r
8th February 2016, 07:22 PM
Nike in Australia only stock the Wide fit, so if you are an 11, get the 11.5W. My TW14 are 11.5M for medium as I bought them straight from the states.

Thanks mate, might do this. Should have tried some on in Brighton Golf World on Friday.

PaulTudorJones
8th February 2016, 09:02 PM
Most of the Nike range offers the 'Wide' option. I recently got the TW15 and they're on sale in the states atm. Goldsmith has promotion atm for golf shoes with 2nd pair for 50% off.

http://www.golfsmith.com/display?page=international-shipping

http://www.golfsmith.com/display?page=ps/apparel-shoe-bogo

dM.
8th February 2016, 09:04 PM
adidas pure 360.

Hux
8th February 2016, 09:33 PM
Rocking FJ DNA's at present. FJ's medium is pretty generous and the do a wide.

benno_r
8th February 2016, 09:38 PM
I think Nudgee was rocking the new DNA's on the weekend. looked pretty good.

LarryLong
8th February 2016, 09:52 PM
True Linkswear are nice and wide Benno. Super comfy too, if you're cool with the flat heel.

AlexMc
8th February 2016, 09:53 PM
I have a pair of TW14's and I find them pretty wide...

rubin
8th February 2016, 09:55 PM

Just remember, a half size doesn't mean wider, it's half a size bigger the whole way around, and leather will stretch

benno_r
8th February 2016, 09:58 PM
True Linkswear are nice and wide Benno. Super comfy too, if you're cool with the flat heel.

Yeah I got a couple of pairs of those. One pair has some stitching right on the wide part of my foot that cause the discomfort.

The other pair are some Protos I got off ray last year (in black). Might see if he has some in white. I just find in the slop up here, spikeless just don't cut it. Though I prefer them when we get really dry.

LoveGolf2012
8th February 2016, 10:44 PM
Yeah I got a couple of pairs of those. One pair has some stitching right on the wide part of my foot that cause the discomfort.

The other pair are some Protos I got off ray last year (in black). Might see if he has some in white. I just find in the slop up here, spikeless just don't cut it. Though I prefer them when we get really dry.

I've only got 9 pairs left mate and biggest is 9.5 in White/Black

For $50 best golf shoes you will buy

Dangals
8th February 2016, 10:52 PM
another vote for the FJ DNA's - rocking last years model and it is super comfy.

With the DNA's if you go the BOA apparently they are wider by default so the normal DNA in BOA is the same as the wide version in the lace - then they have a wide BOA as well. So should have something that fits you I would imagine.

benno_r
8th February 2016, 10:52 PM
I've only got 9 pairs left mate and biggest is 9.5 in White/Black

For $50 best golf shoes you will buy

Need 11.5's I am afraid. Had a good look on Saturday night just to be sure.

LoveGolf2012
8th February 2016, 10:54 PM
Need 11.5's I am afraid. Had a good look on Saturday night just to be sure.

Sorry bud they all went pretty quickly you big footed man!

Worth a try mate,they are a great shoe..lots of good deals around ATM

benno_r
8th February 2016, 11:01 PM
Waiting to hear back from True on sizing, but might be grabbing a set of these:

http://www.truelinkswear.com/shop/2015-men-s/true-game-changer-pro.html

LoveGolf2012
8th February 2016, 11:15 PM
Very nice

timah!
8th February 2016, 11:40 PM
They actually look alright!!

dee cee
9th February 2016, 04:03 AM
Fj contours

benno_r
9th February 2016, 09:37 AM
For those that recommended FJ contours, we have a winner. Went down to the pro shop at my club, tried on nike, adidas, puma, and fj.

The contours were a clear comfort winner. Being available in wide size helped as well. $100 in pro shop credit i didnt know i had was what sealed the deal.

Coopers Country
9th February 2016, 09:53 AM
Yeah I have a pair of Contours but as they are the first golf shoe I have ever had I didn't think I was qualified to offer an opinion

After playing in Asics sandshoes for years , the Contours are more comfortable and the solid feel over the ball now is amazing

Didn't know what I was missing out on

Moe Norman
9th February 2016, 10:36 AM
I just purchased some Footjoy Dry Joys for $99.

Seemed to be the best option under 100 - very happy with them

benno_r
5th March 2016, 01:17 PM
FootJoy Contours are the best golf shoes I've ever worn - super comfy while still looking like a golf shoe. And pretty cheap - around $100 or less, if you shop smart.

Fj contours

Well, played yesterday and today in the new Contours. Verdict - no good.

Excellent grip, not to heavy, but there is a seam that rubs just at the ball of my foot. Got a pair of matching blisters.

In summary, contours are relegated to cart duty only.

Courty
5th March 2016, 05:10 PM
There's a bunch of new models being released this month & next.

Nike Lunar Control 4 (I already have a pair of these, as seen at VIC Champs) - outstanding!
Footjoy Freestyle (colour combos not everyones cuppa)
Under Armour something-or-other Spieth shoes (early April)

benno_r
5th March 2016, 05:26 PM
There's a bunch of new models being released this month & next.

Nike Lunar Control 4 (I already have a pair of these, as seen at VIC Champs) - outstanding!
Footjoy Freestyle (colour combos not everyones cuppa)
Under Armour something-or-other Spieth shoes (early April)
As long as someone comes out with a wide shoe that doesnt have a seam on my inside (contours), or outside (true pheonix), I'll keep an eye out.

Steve57
5th March 2016, 08:10 PM
Footjoy Superlights are superb Ben, no seam and the wide fitting is wide!

Daves
6th March 2016, 09:56 AM
I recently picked up some True Linkswear True Motions. Nice wide fitting, flat sole and very comfortable. Spikeless versions and very stable;

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/281896134664?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&var=580872306099&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

benno_r
6th March 2016, 10:02 AM
I recently picked up some True Linkswear True Motions. Nice wide fitting, flat sole and very comfortable. Spikeless versions and very stable;

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/281896134664?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&var=580872306099&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
I am thinking of heading back to true. The protos i got off ray are superb, so will have some game changer pros on order very soon.

G.K
6th March 2016, 11:08 AM
While we've got a current shoe thread running, has any tried either of the Skechers Go Golf Pro or Go Golf Elite(spikeless)?

I see that Matt Kuchar wears them and he came from Ecco's so he obviously knows a comfy shoe (and quite likely there was larger $$$ on the contract that Skechers offered him)

I've heard good things in regards to comfort of Skechers walking shoes so was curious as to what these were like. I quite like the look of them and to my eye, they seem to look wide in the pics which is what I need. Haven't found them available anywhere in Aus yet and they are still a bit up there in price buying from O/S for the spike version which is what I'm more interested in at the moment.

Thoughts?

Go Golf Pro

Go Golf Elite

BayBum
7th March 2016, 11:15 AM
Never ended up buying them but I did read a lot about the 'pro', while searching for a new pair. The price tag put me off somewhat.

I settled on some Adipower boost thingys. No complaints at all.

Moe Norman
7th March 2016, 11:31 AM
While we've got a current shoe thread running, has any tried either of the Skechers Go Golf Pro or Go Golf Elite(spikeless)?

I see that Matt Kuchar wears them and he came from Ecco's so he obviously knows a comfy shoe (and quite likely there was larger $$$ on the contract that Skechers offered him)

I've heard good things in regards to comfort of Skechers walking shoes so was curious as to what these were like. I quite like the look of them and to my eye, they seem to look wide in the pics which is what I need. Haven't found them available anywhere in Aus yet and they are still a bit up there in price buying from O/S for the spike version which is what I'm more interested in at the moment.

Thoughts?

Go Golf Pro

Go Golf Elite

I saw some Skechers golf shoes in the US late last year, and tried them on. They were incredibly comfortable. I own other skechers shoes, and they are some of the msot comfortable shoes I've ever owned.

I didn't buy them at the time as I figured I would just get them here in Aus, as it was my last day in LA and I couldn't be bothered trying to fit them in my packing.

I then found they aren't easily available here, so I bought some FJ's instead. But the skechers would have been awesome.

Courty
10th March 2016, 06:43 PM

Thoughts?

Go Golf Pro

Go Golf Elite

Golfbase (UK eBay store) have a range of Skechers golf shoes: http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Golfbase?keyword=skechers&refDetail=1&dS=true&scat=1513&sO=false

benno_r
10th March 2016, 06:47 PM
Won a se of the true game changer pro for $100 delivered. Keen to see how they go.

Frank
10th March 2016, 07:41 PM
I have been wearing the FootJoy Hyperflex for a few months now and like them.
Will be very interested to try the new Under Armour shoes when they are released although I'm guessing they won't be cheap.

BrisVegas
23rd March 2016, 05:51 PM
Rocking FJ DNA's at present. FJ's medium is pretty generous and the do a wide.

I played my first round in my new DNA Boa's today. Very comfortable. I'd tried Adidas Tour360 last two times, but it's nice to be back in Footjoys.

bergsey
23rd March 2016, 09:41 PM
Anyone tried the Puma Ignite Tours?

The only thing I've liked style wise in the past has been adidas but found them of varying quality/fit. Ironically the cheaper adizeros have latest a lot longer than the Tour 360's

The Pumas look pretty good

freddy a
26th March 2016, 12:34 PM
Ive had my eye on the Asics golf shoes for a while, I might take the plunge and order them online.
They look very cool and I'm assuming with all Asics shoes they will be very well made and comfortable.

MAZA68
26th March 2016, 04:15 PM

The only thing I've liked style wise in the past has been adidas but found them of varying quality/fit. Ironically the cheaper adizeros have latest a lot longer than the Tour 360's

Wore the Puma Iginite Tours for the first time today, my other shoes are FJ Contours. Would rate equally as goods as the FJ's for comfort and solid feel, no blisters or sore feet after walking 18 holes.

benno_r
31st March 2016, 01:29 PM
Update time.

Pure Game Changer Pros have been given the "walk around the house for a couple hours" test. So far they feel very comfortable, and apparent seams anywhere near the wide parts of my feet.

Cart round tomorrow followed by walking Sat and Sun will be the acid test.

damoocow
31st March 2016, 05:16 PM
Well, played yesterday and today in the new Contours. Verdict - no good.

Excellent grip, not to heavy, but there is a seam that rubs just at the ball of my foot. Got a pair of matching blisters.

In summary, contours are relegated to cart duty only.

Pretty sure FJ have a money back guarantee if you're not happy in the first month?

benno_r
31st March 2016, 05:53 PM
Pretty sure FJ have a money back guarantee if you're not happy in the first month?
Didnt know that, might have missed the boat there though.

FuzzyJuzzy
31st March 2016, 05:54 PM
I love my FJ Contours - onto my second or third set now. Usually can get them off only $80 or $90-odd too. Very comfy for me yet still look like a typical golf shoe, which is what I want. Shame about the blisters mate.

benno_r
31st March 2016, 06:06 PM
I love my FJ Contours - onto my second or third set now. Usually can get them off only $80 or $90-odd too. Very comfy for me yet still look like a typical golf shoe, which is what I want. Shame about the blisters mate.
Like all shoes, they will break in. A few carting rounds and i reckon they'll be fine and ready to walk in.

KC4802
1st April 2016, 07:14 PM
I tried on the FJ DNA previous model, and the m project spikeless today. Will be first set of golf shoes so leaning towards the spiked DNA. Both super comfortable in-store.
$169 for old model DNA is better than I can find online.

Jazz18
1st April 2016, 07:17 PM
Tried the new FJ freestyle today. Very comfortable. Not sure I would get used to the look and I'm not sure what colour I'd get but they feel like you could wear them for 36 holes straight out of the box. Pretty pricey though.

benno_r
1st April 2016, 07:27 PM
Update time.

Pure Game Changer Pros have been given the "walk around the house for a couple hours" test. So far they feel very comfortable, and apparent seams anywhere near the wide parts of my feet.

Cart round tomorrow followed by walking Sat and Sun will be the acid test.

Had them on my feet for 5hrs today. Mostly carted, but dig walk a little as I miss left and my cart partner misses right.

Super comfy, no pinch points, water resistant, and excellent traction.

First walking round tomorrow.

damoocow
3rd April 2016, 08:04 PM
My footjoys were dropped off at the pro shop for assessment today after the sole was starting to give way after just over a year of wear - my old adidas shoes [held together with liquid nails] get to go back into action again.

benno_r
3rd April 2016, 08:33 PM
Had them on my feet for 5hrs today. Mostly carted, but dig walk a little as I miss left and my cart partner misses right.

Super comfy, no pinch points, water resistant, and excellent traction.

First walking round tomorrow.
2 walking rounds this weekend.

Final verdict: my new favourite shoes. No rub spots, nice and flexible, lightish, and awesome traction. At $100 delivered, an absolute no brainer!

Trawling ebay to build up a stash at that price.

LoveGolf2012
3rd April 2016, 08:59 PM
2 walking rounds this weekend.

Final verdict: my new favourite shoes. No rub spots, nice and flexible, lightish, and awesome traction. At $100 delivered, an absolute no brainer!

Trawling ebay to build up a stash at that price.

Pics and what shoes buddy?

benno_r
4th April 2016, 05:33 AM
Pics and what shoes buddy?
http://www.truelinkswear.com/shop/2015-men-s/true-game-changer-pro.html

Daves
4th April 2016, 06:50 AM
I wore a pair of FJ Projects on the weekend. I forgot how comfortable these are. The white leather tends to stain a little, but otherwise one of the more comfortable and light shoes I have worn. Not sure why FJ went away from the design?

Eag's
27th April 2016, 12:57 PM
I just bought myself a pair of these http://www.footjoy.com.au/catalog/product/57333
So light and bloody comfortable 8)

damoocow
27th April 2016, 01:17 PM
I just bought myself a pair of these http://www.footjoy.com.au/catalog/product/57333

Make sure you keep your receipt.

benno_r
27th April 2016, 01:23 PM
Another walking round today with the Pures.

Clearly the best shoes I have ever used. By a fair margain.

Eag's
27th April 2016, 02:29 PM
Make sure you keep your receipt.

Did you have a bad experience with a pair of these Damo?

damoocow
27th April 2016, 03:00 PM
Did you have a bad experience with a pair of these Damo?

Not that model. My fj's split open 2 months after warranty ran out. The rep was not interested despite him being a member at my club and me having bought them at my pro shop. I contacted FJ myself and they gave me a 50% credit over the phone once I described the situation - dropped the shoes back into my pro shop for them to post back. Have a look at your warranty - pretty sure it will say that should your shoes get replaced your new warranty will start from the time you purchased the 'first' pair....I would think in Qld that would be illegal or at best dodgy.

Eag's
27th April 2016, 03:18 PM
Fair enough. This will be my 3rd pair of Footjoys with no issues so far. I really like this model due to how soft and supportive the heel design is along with how light they are.

damoocow
27th April 2016, 03:44 PM
Maybe I just got a bad pair - will probably have to use the credit to get another pair of FJ anyway.

davidw88
27th April 2016, 03:52 PM
Just ordered a pair of adidas tour 360 boost shoes hopefully these are alright, reviews seem good.

Jazz18
27th April 2016, 04:26 PM

I agree, very comfortable. I've only tried a pair of these on in a shop but I reckon you could wear them for 36 holes straight out of the box. Think I'll have to bite the bullet and get a pair of these soon. Only down side seems to be they're pretty exy for a pair of sneakers with cleats!

bergsey
6th May 2016, 11:57 PM

Gave these a go today. Blister on the left heel after 3 holes... very frustrating, hopefully they break in! Otherwise very comfortable

damoocow
7th May 2016, 07:17 AM
Not that model. My fj's split open 2 months after warranty ran out. The rep was not interested despite him being a member at my club and me having bought them at my pro shop. I contacted FJ myself and they gave me a 50% credit over the phone once I described the situation - dropped the shoes back into my pro shop for them to post back. Have a look at your warranty - pretty sure it will say that should your shoes get replaced your new warranty will start from the time you purchased the 'first' pair....I would think in Qld that would be illegal or at best dodgy.

Got a phone call from the Pro Shop yesterday to say FJ had sent a replacement pair of shoes at no cost to me. Happy with that.

Jazz18
7th May 2016, 08:20 AM
Saw the new FJ Versaluxe yesterday. Didn't try them on but looked very nice I thought. Would seem to be FJ's direct competition to Eccos. Got the price tag to match as well. Didn't try them on but will give them a go at some point.

Monty85
27th May 2016, 11:58 AM
If you like the more casual style I've been enjoying the Adidas Gripmore's for the past few years. Have 4 pairs in varying colours now and can't fault them. And for a shoe without traditional spikes, they actually perform surprisingly well in the wet.

fredstar
28th May 2016, 09:47 AM
Nike Lunar Control 4. Strraight out the box they are super comfy, no break in at all. Plenty of grip and stability too.

freddy a
31st May 2016, 06:03 AM
Asics gel ace pro light wore them for 36 holes out of the box with no blisters. Best shoes I've ever owned and I was a hard core Ecco fan before these came along.

Jazz18
31st May 2016, 01:33 PM
Asics gel ace pro light wore them for 36 holes out of the box with no blisters. Best shoes I've ever owned and I was a hard core Ecco fan before these came along.

Just looked these up and wow, they look like a cross between a touch footy shoe, a running shoe and a soccer boot. How do you go with the change from a leather shoe (I assume the Ecco was leather) to a synthethic? Did you notice a difference in how hot they feel? I think my feet would die in the synthetic.

freddy a
1st June 2016, 10:03 AM
Didn't feel any difference whatsoever with how hot they get, but the biggest difference I felt was how much lighter these shoes are & you can really feel the extra cushioning.
I'm so impressed with these shoes I'm about to order another 2 pairs the silver and green model in the next couple of days.

Jazz18
1st June 2016, 10:11 AM
Didn't feel any difference whatsoever with how hot they get, but the biggest difference I felt was how much lighter these shoes are & you can really feel the extra cushioning.
I'm so impressed with these shoes I'm about to order another 2 pairs the silver and green model in the next couple of days.

Good stuff. Good shoes are hard to find.

benno_r
1st June 2016, 10:32 AM
How do you find the sizing in relation to Asics runners Freddy?

freddy a
1st June 2016, 11:25 AM
Very similar to the running shoes