PDA

View Full Version : Observations from the Driving Range - Yarra Bend

maveric74
2nd February 2016, 08:14 PM
Hey all.
So, gave the clubs (Titleist AP1 irons), 915D, 915F, 816H and the Nike method matter M4 putter a go for the first time. I was taking notes on the phone between swings. 100 balls. Here are the notes. Wondering if anyone would like to comment? Plan is to go take a few lessons or even the Yarra Bend 4 week coaching clinic to try and work on the game before I hit the course and then try and get my handicap. A beginner so go easy people :-)

7iron between 140 to 150 yards. Some straight some draw and some fade (unintentional)

6iron between 160 to 170 yards mostly draw and some fade.

9iron shanked a few at the start but figured the club face was too closed so opened the club face a bit more and started to get some loft. Hitting slices a fair bit but some straight as well.

Wedge 60degrees around 75-85 yards. Hit a couple with a extreme loft that barely got to 50-60 yards. Hitting mostly straight.

Fairway wood between 170-190 yards

Hybrid wood between 140-150yards
I found the fairway wood a lot easier to middle the ball off for some reason. A real easy club to swing and a real joy.

Driver around 190-200yards. Lot of loft to begin with. I think the tee on the mat was way too high so compensated by putting the ball in the middle of my stance and then started swinging them sweet. Not many balls left so went for it and the last few balls were coming out smoking hot.

Putting wayward. Balls anywhere from 5-10 feet away on long putts. Missing the 5 foot putts for par.

Overall, out of 100 balls, around 10 or so would have been topped, hit along the ground or really bad swings not worth it on the course in a proper round.

JADO75
2nd February 2016, 08:40 PM
How old are you mate?

maveric74
2nd February 2016, 08:47 PM
How old are you mate?A sometimes young and mostly old 42 :-)

3Puttpete
2nd February 2016, 09:04 PM
At this stage distances are only important in terms of you knowing how far each club goes. If you're 145 from a green it doesn't matter what club anyone else hits as long as you know what club will get you there.

Range balls won't go as far as normal balls. You can probably add a club to them. ie your 7 iron with real balls is your 6 iron range ball distance.

Nice putter. I'm using one ATM.

3oneday
2nd February 2016, 10:09 PM
At least you could safely get the balls after you putted them 5 feet.

maveric74
3rd February 2016, 04:21 AM
At this stage distances are only important in terms of you knowing how far each club goes. If you're 145 from a green it doesn't matter what club anyone else hits as long as you know what club will get you there.

Absolutely bang-on with that Pete.

Range balls won't go as far as normal balls. You can probably add a club to them. ie your 7 iron with real balls is your 6 iron range ball distance.

This is a fantastic observation and I will try and remember this when I am out on the golf course :-)

Thoughts on this Pete? I think I need to keep working on my putting stroke. At this stage, most of the rounds I have played/play, I tend to 3 putt. But hoping with a combination of some coaching, regular clubs and gold and the new putter that this keep on improving. Fingers crossed.

maveric74
3rd February 2016, 04:22 AM
At least you could safely get the balls after you putted them 5 feet.

Haha..3oneday! Yes, for the time-being :-)

oldracer
3rd February 2016, 07:11 AM
The coaching course sounds good as long as you're not one of 10 there, if it's a small number...all good, then individual lessons. You've got good sticks and spent the money, this is the next spend and time allocation, keep us posted

Daves
3rd February 2016, 07:42 AM
Hi Maveric74 and welcome. Why are the distance number in yards? I can't recall any courses in Oz that use yards, they are all pretty much metres. Seems strange to use yards if the numbers will be pretty useless to you?

LoveGolf2012
3rd February 2016, 09:15 AM
My thinking would be for the yards measurements is they have a lot of overseas tour pros practice their??

Could be the reasoning,and they get what they want as we all know!

maveric74
3rd February 2016, 10:25 AM
Hi Maveric74 and welcome. Why are the distance number in yards? I can't recall any courses in Oz that use yards, they are all pretty much metres. Seems strange to use yards if the numbers will be pretty useless to you? Oops. So they must have been meters lol

maveric74
3rd February 2016, 10:34 AM

And sorry pete, meant to ask..How are you finding this putter? Are you going to stick with it you think or do you use different ones? I got it at HOG (Essendon) and the guy who sold it to me advised to go use it for 10 -15 rounds, try holding the putter at different heights, work on my stroke pattern and then come back for any adjustments (height/weight) etc.
Also, just FYI, IMHO, I tried the Cleveland, the Scotty Cameron and the Nike before I settled on the Nike. Within my budget first and foremost and felt the balls through my hands as I putted. The Cleveland was too heavy (felt the stroke way too much like I was pushing hard) and the Scotty Cameron was over $500 and I didn't feel a thing. I know that's probably a good thing but it was a weird sensation not being able to feel the ball at all and I think out on the course I'll probably either hit them too long or too short with the SC without any feel.

maveric74
3rd February 2016, 10:39 AM
My thinking would be for the yards measurements is they have a lot of overseas tour pros practice their??

Could be the reasoning,and they get what they want as we all know!

@LoveGolf2012, I think Daves is right..they most likely were metres. And yes, they had Geoff Ogilvy's name plastered on the range on a big banner advertising that one of the coaches there (BannLynch Golf Coaching) was his coach.

Also, some advised me not to play there on the weekends as there is huge number of golfers playing there on the weekend and a round can last 4 hrs or so! Would this be correct? Wondering any advice on any other courses around than may not be so busy on the weekend ideally in close proximity to inner North side? The person who advised against Yarra Bend on the weekends suggested Bundoora and the Airport course, FYI..

maveric74
3rd February 2016, 10:42 AM
The coaching course sounds good as long as you're not one of 10 there, if it's a small number...all good, then individual lessons. You've got good sticks and spent the money, this is the next spend and time allocation, keep us posted

Thanks oldracer! Will definitely keep on posting. And great suggestion/observation on the numbers in the coaching clinic. Will definitely suss that before I sign up to one. And yeah will definitely be getting individual lessons as well. Do you recommend coaching at one of the golf shops around the city or at the courses with coaching available?

3Puttpete
3rd February 2016, 02:07 PM
And sorry pete, meant to ask..How are you finding this putter? Are you going to stick with it you think or do you use different ones?

Haha. That's funny.

I like it a lot but they're all on borrowed time. I've had this for a few months and I'll keep it until I find another one I like the look of.

Slug
13th February 2016, 07:33 PM
Maveric, i play the melbourne airport course. good cheap membership and the course is in tip top shape at the moment. cant comment on bundoora, as havent played there in a long time, but the fairways were never much good, lots of big dry open cracks through them.

LoveGolf2012
13th February 2016, 08:25 PM
Maveric, i play the melbourne airport course. good cheap membership and the course is in tip top shape at the moment. cant comment on bundoora, as havent played there in a long time, but the fairways were never much good, lots of big dry open cracks through them.

I was just looking at some pics of MAGC,what's your membership worth their for 7 days?

Fairways in good nick?

Slug
13th February 2016, 08:32 PM
I was just looking at some pics of MAGC,what's your membership worth their for 7 days?

Fairways in good nick?

first year membership is $550 with $50 of that back on the bar as a voucher.
second year for me this year is $670 i think

fairways are great for the price imo, but no expert lol

LoveGolf2012
13th February 2016, 08:44 PM
first year membership is $550 with $50 of that back on the bar as a voucher.
second year for me this year is $670 i think

fairways are great for the price imo, but no expert lol

I'm at Northern,but having a think of some options ATM

Slug
13th February 2016, 08:47 PM
I'm at Northern,but having a think of some options ATM

ah nice, head down and have a round there. sure you will enjoy urself. its pretty unforgiving, tree lined pretty much all the way.

northerns a pretty good track isnt it? heard good things, never been on

LoveGolf2012
13th February 2016, 09:01 PM
ah nice, head down and have a round there. sure you will enjoy urself. its pretty unforgiving, tree lined pretty much all the way.

northerns a pretty good track isnt it? heard good things, never been on

Northern is all big gum tree all way around,and yes great track,some members are absolute knobs though being private.Could spend the difference on more coaching and stuff

oldracer
14th February 2016, 02:14 AM
Thanks oldracer! Will definitely keep on posting. And great suggestion/observation on the numbers in the coaching clinic. Will definitely suss that before I sign up to one. And yeah will definitely be getting individual lessons as well. Do you recommend coaching at one of the golf shops around the city or at the courses with coaching available?get yourself a good on course coach, you can't learn without seeing ball flight IMO and on course your coach will have his range setup to teach you properly

maveric74
14th February 2016, 10:11 PM

Cheers slug. Have heard about the airport course on here a bit for sure. What's the noise factor like? I can handle vehicular traffic noise, but overhead planes is another thing! Any issues with loss of focus, concentration? Also, what's it like on the weekend. Someone advised not to play Yarra Bend on the weekend unless I have a good 4hrs up my sleeve with so many golfers out on the course!

Cheers