PDA

View Full Version : Richard Carlton

goughy
7th May 2006, 03:10 PM
Just heard on a channel 7 report on the trapped miners. Apparently Richard Carlton suffered a heart attack during an interview this morning and has passed away.

Shocked.

Not that I liked him as an investigative reporter; but he seemed pretty tough and it's just caught me by surprise.

Jarro
7th May 2006, 03:17 PM
quite a shock.

i never even knew he had any heart problems to begin with, must've been t he excitement of the event that tipped him over the edge 'eh.

Matt 3 Jab
7th May 2006, 04:11 PM
Aparently a long history with a bad heart, but didnt seem to show.....................
Not a good place to be at the moment.

Fishman Dan
7th May 2006, 04:21 PM
From the Sydney Morning Herald website this afternoon:

Carleton, who reports for the network's flagship 60 Minutes program, had a history of heart problems.

The 62-year-old Nine Network reporter, who has been with award-winning program 60 Minutes for almost 20 years, has experienced a run of health problems in recent years.

He had a heart bypass in 1988, which was televised, and a heart attack in 2003.

Diagnosed with prostate cancer last year, he began a course of hormone treatment before checking into hospital last month for a common surgical procedure.

Since surgery he has thrown himself back into the job, shooting a story on the 30th anniversary of the Chernobyl disaster and heading to Tasmania to cover the Beaconsfield Gold Mine rock fall and rescue.

Moe Norman
7th May 2006, 04:55 PM
i never even knew he had any heart problems to begin with, must've been t he excitement of the event that tipped him over the edge 'eh. wtf? 60 minutes ran a whole series on his heart problem including televising the op! His bad heart was better known than KP's bad kidneys.

RIP - he was an excellent reporter.

Webster
7th May 2006, 06:12 PM
not a real good day for Carlton today...

Moe Norman
7th May 2006, 06:17 PM
i see what you did there.

AndyP
7th May 2006, 06:41 PM
Looks like the networks will need to send another 3 reporters down each to cover this story too.

goughy
7th May 2006, 06:46 PM
wtf? 60 minutes ran a whole series on his heart problem including televising the op! His bad heart was better known than KP's bad kidneys.

RIP - he was an excellent reporter.

I've never been much of a 60 minutes watcher. Just something about him that got up my nose. Having studied media production and communications, these types of shows (although not as much 60 minutes as TT and ACA) are one of the main reasons I didn't want into the industry.

Fishman Dan
7th May 2006, 07:05 PM
not a real good day for Carlton today...

I don't know what i'm more touched by..

the loss of a bloke who, admittedly, i rarely watched or tolerated. His glasses in the last couple of weeks have been ridiculous!

or..

Collingwood towelling up my beloved Blues. They absolutely reek like sh!t, ****y Carlton was much more of a shock.

Grunt
7th May 2006, 09:46 PM
Have heard that he asked a pretty bad/tasteless question at the press conference then had the heart attack.

Jarro
8th May 2006, 01:14 AM
Have heard that he asked a pretty bad/tasteless question at the press conference then had the heart attack.

seemed to be the mans style.

I never really liked him much.