PDA

View Full Version : Refinished Miura 1957 Baby Blades in Black Ox

dR.u
30th January 2016, 04:10 AM
After 12 years and 2 cataract surgeries, I decide to go back to the game I love.Afer 2 months of practice, I was able get my swing back and able to hit my old Clubs;2001 Maxfli Australian Blades DG S200 reg shafts.A awesome mate Eca, who introduced me to ozgolf, had a golfclub making setup as his home. He was able to fix my lie and lofts to my specs and also upgrade from the DG S200s to the DG Tour X100s which made a huge impact. In 4 months time, I was able to upgrade to my first JDM iron set and with a little playing around with shafts. The result being 2012 Yonex eZone MBsTT X Monaco Copper Shafts.

Now here's the main story, Eca always said that the Miura 1957 Baby Blades with the right shafts would be a great set for me to have. The Miura 1957 looked hot!! However, I just couldn't see past the price, even for a 2nd hand set. While content with my Yonex eZones build and the Maxflis as backup, I came across this set for a VERY VERY cheap price. A lot of good golf was played with them and the standard bag chatter. After a few blogs on ozgolf, I was able to get in contact with Wanlefty to organize the clubs to be refinished.So, with the help of Wanlefty and Eca, here is the process to get my Miura 1957 Baby Blades to what there are today.Heads pulled by Eca and then Wanlefty organizing the Chrome removal and polishRefinished with Black Oxide and custom paint fill iron heads reinstalled with Miura ferrules and NS PRO SP Orange by Eca. As you can see Eca and Wanlefty did an amazing job on this project.
Will be doing my wedges very soon.

Cheers.

Captain Nemo
30th January 2016, 04:57 AM
Wow!!!

mrbluu
30th January 2016, 06:38 AM
How's your putting ;)

D22marshall
30th January 2016, 07:05 AM
Great looking sticks man.
Eca a true champion and great fitter nice job Eca.
My one question is WHERE are the Monacos now?
Can they come to Frenchs forest?

Gammon
30th January 2016, 07:37 AM
Amazing spruce up. Lovely looking clubs. I bet the previous owner would like them back now. I didn't know Eca was another closet OZGolf club builder. Great job.

Captain Nemo
30th January 2016, 07:53 AM
How's your putting ;)Excellent atm..

mrbluu
30th January 2016, 07:53 AM
Excellent atm..
Retirement has improved your putting ;)

Captain Nemo
30th January 2016, 08:05 AM
Retirement has improved your putting ;) I only semi retired at the middle of last year. Played more rounds since New Years day so far than I did from June to December. Loving the game, it's given me so much.... 😀

Coopers Country
30th January 2016, 08:12 AM
Nice stuff Dr.u they look great , well done to the guys who did the refurb

Charger
30th January 2016, 12:35 PM
*Cough* always wanted a set of Australian Blades *cough*

Dotty
30th January 2016, 01:46 PM
Amazing spruce up. Lovely looking clubs. I bet the previous owner would like them back now. I didn't know Eca was another closet OZGolf club builder. Great job.
Buggar. I can no longer call him 'Eca the Wrecker' :)

They look great and thank you for introducing JDM to the forum in a less hostile manner.

3Puttpete
30th January 2016, 02:06 PM
Wanlefty's a serial offender. Every set he does this to looks superb.

Lagerlover
30th January 2016, 02:17 PM
Oh my goodness.

Just beautiful

dR.u
30th January 2016, 02:27 PM
Really improved. Already use to the pace with the insert and the confidence is back with the 4-5 footers

dR.u
30th January 2016, 02:30 PM
Still have them. Eca got the setup on those perfect for me. I like the fact of having the Yonex with the Monacos with progressive weight setup and the Miuras with MOI

dR.u
30th January 2016, 02:33 PM
He's spewing, especially when he bought another new set of Baby Blades. I sent him pics of them for a bit of a stir. Haha

dR.u
30th January 2016, 02:36 PM

Still haven't decided what to do with them. I'll post some pics soon. Still love the set though, I recently got the 2i fitted with the same X100s.

Eca
30th January 2016, 03:00 PM
Awesome refinish Wanlefty, glad to be part of the project Dru. So funny.. he's 1st shot was from a hardpan yesterday. He looked at me & i just went.. they're your babies mate lol.. kudos to him he played at it :)

Great looking sticks man.
Eca a true champion and great fitter nice job Eca.
My one question is WHERE are the Monacos now?
Can they come to Frenchs forest?
Thanks Dean. Bloody stop hogging all the monacos haha.

Amazing spruce up. Lovely looking clubs. I didn't know Eca was another closet OZGolf club builder. Great job.
Binh's the culprit, passing on his knowledge lol.. my riding time got cut heaps coz of this hobby.

Buggar. I can no longer call him 'Eca the Wrecker' :)

They look great and thank you for introducing JDM to the forum in a less hostile manner. Dru is cool. Should be a nice addition to the crew here. And i still wreck a lot of things bahaha..

oldracer
30th January 2016, 03:10 PM
Awesome job fellas, miura blades......mmmmmmmm

dR.u
30th January 2016, 03:55 PM
Buggar. I can no longer call him 'Eca the Wrecker' :)They look great and thank you for introducing JDM to the forum in a less hostile manner. I just love the golf. A lot has changed in the 12 years I stopped playing and there's so much more available. I was taught on Blades so, I am a bit biased on that, otherwise whatever make you love the game more, use it. The 3 iron sets I have are all different setup, the only clubs that are permanently in the bag is my wedges and putter

Eca
30th January 2016, 04:01 PM
I just love the golf. A lot has changed in the 12 years I stopped playing and there's so much more available. I was taught on Blades so, I am a bit biased on that, otherwise whatever make you love the game more, use it. The 3 iron sets I have are all different setup, the only clubs that are permanently in the bag is my wedges and "putter"
I have to tell wife to keep an eye on my my km350 whenever your over :)

Captain Nemo
30th January 2016, 04:48 PM
Who actually did the Black Ox and what was the cost please?
(pm me if you don't want to post)

simmsy
30th January 2016, 04:58 PM
so jealous.
man they look soooooo sexy.

kind of like Yoss & Shadesy rolled into one.

WanLefty
30th January 2016, 09:55 PM
Glad you're happy with them :)

Absolute pleasure to work on those, super soft and just an awesome looking club.

They look the business with the Miura ferrules also.

Wan

Pingsta
30th January 2016, 10:25 PM
Hey Steve,

Just wondering did you get the heads sand blasted to remove the browning marks?

If there are significant gouges on the soles and faces how did you remove them prior to the plating process?

Cheers

dR.u
31st January 2016, 05:03 AM
Who actually did the Black Ox and what was the cost please?(pm me if you don't want to post) The Black Ox was done by Steve aka Wanlefty. Send him a PM. He'll look after you. The work he done on these especially the paintfill is top notch. It normally takes 2 weeks to do aswell.

chappy1970
31st January 2016, 08:41 AM
Steve really knows what he's doing.

Anyone who's thinking of going down this path should contact him.

PaulTudorJones
1st February 2016, 08:16 AM
After 12 years and 2 cataract surgeries, I decide to go back to the game I love.
Afer 2 months of practice, I was able get my swing back and able to hit my old Clubs;

2001 Maxfli Australian Blades
DG S200 reg shafts.

A awesome mate Eca, who introduced me to ozgolf, had a golfclub making setup as his home. He was able to fix my lie and lofts to my specs and also upgrade from the DG S200s to the DG Tour X100s. which made a huge impact.
In 4 months time, I was able to upgrade to my first JDM iron set and with a little playing around with shafts. The result being;

2012 Yonex eZone MBs
TT X Monaco Copper Shafts

Now here's the main story

Eca always said that the Miura 1957 Baby Blades with the right shafts would be a great set for me to have. The Miura 1957 looked hot!! However, I just couldn't see past the price, even for a 2nd hand set.

While content with my Yonex eZones build and the Maxflis as backup, I came across this set for a VERY VERY cheap price.

A lot of good golf was played with themand the standard bag chatter.

After a few blogs on ozgolf, I was able to get in contact with Wanlefty to organize the clubs to be refinished.

So, with the help of Wanlefty and Eca, here is the process to get my Miura 1957 Baby Blades to what there are today.

Heads pulled by Eca and then Wanlefty organizing the Chrome removal and polish

Refinished with Black Oxide and custom paintfill

Ironheads reinstalled with Miura ferrules and NS PRO SP Orange by Eca

As you can see Eca and Wanlefty did an amazing job on this project.

Will be doing my wedges very soon.

Cheers.

wow that looks amazing. Hitting them well?

I'm thinking about one of the Miura sets next time I'm at Japan.

WanLefty
1st February 2016, 08:36 AM
Hey Steve,Just wondering did you get the heads sand blasted to remove the browning marks?If there are significant gouges on the soles and faces how did you remove them prior to the plating process?CheersDepending on the size of the gouges - but generally they are sanded out with different grades - very weight dependant as you don't want to remove too much material. Sometimes you can cold work the ding too. The sandblasting (glass bead) is only on the hitting area and doesn't really remove much , it's more of a polish really as the beads are light. Hope that helps.

Lagerlover
1st February 2016, 03:40 PM
So the elephant in the room...

How much?

Hatchman
1st February 2016, 05:02 PM
So the elephant in the room...

How much?

Being a bit harsh on yourself mate :lol:

Lagerlover
1st February 2016, 05:30 PM
Being a bit harsh on yourself mate :lol: Me wife says she reminds me of an elephant in the bedroom..

Lagerlover
1st February 2016, 05:31 PM
Me wife says she reminds me of an elephant in the bedroom.. Bit of a Dumbo

Lagerlover
1st February 2016, 05:32 PM
Me wife says she reminds me of an elephant in the bedroom.. Have a good enough memory to never ask her for "special time" again.

dR.u
2nd February 2016, 02:33 AM
wow that looks amazing. Hitting them well? I'm thinking about one of the Miura sets next time I'm at Japan. I'm actually hitting them great. I do have the clubs MOI set so, I rarely miss centre. The only club I actually struggling with is my driver.

Daves
2nd February 2016, 09:24 AM
I'm actually hitting them great. I do have the clubs MOI set so, I rarely miss centre. The only club I actually struggling with is my driver.

Hi and welcome dR.u. Who did the MOI matching? Good to hear MOI it is also working for you! The Baby Blades are a gorgeous club. I remember when Petethepilot had a set, they looked so good. But they have a sweet spot the size of a pin!

mrbluu
2nd February 2016, 09:41 AM
I'm actually hitting them great. I do have the clubs MOI set so, I rarely miss centre. The only club I actually struggling with is my driver.

WaDDa FlushA!!!!

3oneday
2nd February 2016, 10:09 AM
What are you playing off dr.u?

dR.u
2nd February 2016, 10:35 AM
What are you playing off dr.u? I'm currently off 10, trying to get back down to 3 or better. MrBluu has been assisting with my putting which has been great. Just need to stop getting into trouble with the Driver.

dR.u
2nd February 2016, 10:56 AM
Hi and welcome dR.u. Who did the MOI matching? Good to hear MOI it is also working for you! The Baby Blades are a gorgeous club. I remember when Petethepilot had a set, they looked so good. But they have a sweet spot the size of a pin! True, the sweet spot is small however, with the MOI setup it brings you to centre a lot more as I have come to experience. My Yonex MB is standard progressive weighted and I hit them nearly them same, feel a bit different but, fairly consistent. If I wasn't 100%, I'd play my Yonex though.The MOI was actually done by a professional club builder from the UK that is now in the Gold Coast but, they no longer have the machine to do it.Another person that does MOI is in NSW, James Grant. Also know and the Golf Doctor. He does a great job with MOI matching at a good price also.

dR.u
2nd February 2016, 10:59 AM
So the elephant in the room...How much? The chrome stripping, blasting, removal of marks, polishing, black ox and paint fill came to $30 per head. That is with the heads removed.

Lagerlover
2nd February 2016, 11:12 AM
Thanks

Daves
2nd February 2016, 11:43 AM
True, the sweet spot is small however, with the MOI setup it brings you to centre a lot more as I have come to experience. My Yonex MB is standard progressive weighted and I hit them nearly them same, feel a bit different but, fairly consistent. If I wasn't 100%, I'd play my Yonex though.The MOI was actually done by a professional club builder from the UK that is now in the Gold Coast but, they no longer have the machine to do it.Another person that does MOI is in NSW, James Grant. Also know and the Golf Doctor. He does a great job with MOI matching at a good price also.

Nice. Gary Tozer, Aussie Custom Golf also does MOI Matching. He was based on the Gold Coast but has relocated to Gateshead near Newcastle.

I have my own MOI Analyser and have found the same as you, much more consistent on the centre hits now.

dR.u
2nd February 2016, 03:56 PM

I just posted my sets in "Whats in the bag" if you wan check the Aussie Blades and my other setups