PDA

View Full Version : Laptops for school

goughy
26th January 2016, 01:04 PM
So Jas's state school is going 'bring your own Tech/laptop to school'. We didn't know this when we bought her one early last year and is bigger, bit more unwieldy, and doesn't have the battery life they suggest. We're gonna see how it goes but it may be she needs one of these smaller things with like 8+ hours battery. They probably will fit in her locker too.

If we have to look at changing it, what's good for a cheap small portable laptop for kids at school? I'm sure some of you have kids in private school that have been through this?

Wardy101
26th January 2016, 01:33 PM
What is your budget? Dell Refurbished is an option (http://www.dell.com/learn/au/en/audhs1/campaigns/dell-outlet-au). You need to monitor the site often as new stuff gets put up regularly.

We got a Latitude E7240....didnt have a mark on it

markTHEblake
26th January 2016, 01:48 PM
+1 Dell refurbished store.
I buy all my junk from there (or the apple refurbished store)

I would be spending as little as possible, despite our kids best intentions they knock around computers as if they are footballs, and beware the Goughy factor, if he touches it, its going to break.

goughy
26th January 2016, 02:00 PM
Oh hardy har har markTHEbrake!

She had a good dell laptop now, but it's 15" or 15.6" and it's a bit of a squeeze. Plus the battery doesn't last long. Might also see what the school says. Wish we'd known this ask a year ago.
Won't be looking at Apple.

aussieashley
26th January 2016, 03:08 PM
I haven't actually used them, but these guys are supposed to be ok:

http://www.reboot-it.com.au

markTHEblake
26th January 2016, 04:12 PM
oh and another thing, small light notebooks have SSD drives, which get expensive if need more than the minimum size.
For school work even 64gb is PLENTY

They will whine that this is not enough for 'school' but the real reason is because they need lots of space for music and movies.
That's when you got to put your foot down, that you are not going to shell out hundreds of dollars for that.