PDA

View Full Version : Golf News 1

Courty
4th May 2004, 08:04 PM
AUSTRALIA's US Amateur golf champion, Nick Flanagan, will turn professional later this year.

Flanagan, who last year became the first Australian in 100 years to take out the US Amateur title, will move to the professional ranks after this year's British Open.

The 19-year-old from Newcastle has not signed with a management group and plans to conduct his affairs independently.

Flanagan represented Australia at both junior and open amateur tournaments and was a member of the team which won last year's Asia Pacific Championship in Port Douglas.

He finished third in the ANZ Championship against an international professional field earlier this year.

What are your thoughts? I personally feel he's still a little overawed and inexperienced. But I'd love to be proven wrong... :?

jaster
4th May 2004, 08:58 PM
I think he was lucky to win the US Amateur although he has played pretty well since in a few events even contending into the last day. To compete with the big boys though he is going to have to bulk up a bit me thinks, seems too skinny don't you think :?

Jarro
5th May 2004, 04:21 AM
I personally think he should follow the path of Adam Scott. Go through Europe first before you tackle the PGA Tour :)

goughy
5th May 2004, 04:41 AM
I read an article not that long ago where he said he wasn't going to turn pro any time soon. He said in reality he still plays like an amateur, hit's shanks etc.

Fishman Dan
5th May 2004, 07:58 AM
Drop him in the ocean and he'll learn to swim. He's got a good head on his shoulders, it won't take long before he's a 4th day regular. A little surprised he's taking on his own management though - i'd have someone working with him so he can keep his mind on playing golf.

What about this (James?) Nitties bloke? Any word about his ambitions to turn pro? I think he's as talented as Flanno.

drunken
5th May 2004, 11:57 AM
good luck to him I say :P