PDA

View Full Version : Callaway X Tour Wedges

rick3003
4th May 2006, 08:31 PM
Anybody tried these yet.

They do look the goods.

Falcon
5th May 2006, 01:10 PM
The spin rate is off the charts with these babies... they absolutely perform though! Just be prepared to land the ball 4-5 metres past the hole, my 54* managed to ripped the ball back 7 metres off a full shot last weekend even without the MD groves.

gazgolf1
5th May 2006, 06:03 PM
My 60-11 arrived today....will let you know how it goes in the next few days.

Ok I took the new lob wedge down to Oxley driving range today and after a session on the chipping green albeit with range balls I've come to the conclusion that these wedges grab like an ill fitting pair of undies.
The sole grind and the trailing edge relief appears to work well with open face flop shots a piece of pi$$ and back in the stance pitches stopping on the second bounce.
I'll give this wedge a try tomorrow at Nudgee with real pills and better greens and report back on the performance but on todays first whack its in the bag.

gazgolf1
7th May 2006, 02:36 PM
After the round at Nudgee today the Cally X-Tour lob wedge is firmly in the bag.... a chip in from 20m and a couple of par saving chips that checked nicely convinced me.The sole grind seemed to work well and the 11 degrees of bounce did not bother me from tight lies thanks to the trailing edge relief.
Now I've just got to decide which ball to use....Nike Platinum or Hogan Apex Red.:roll:

Iain
25th May 2006, 07:08 PM
Just wondering how these are going now Gaz?? And I believe Nudgee has a Lobby also? How does the LW with the PM grind go out of bunker's??

Looking to replace my wedges which are getting a little old?

Come on people, speak up!! :p

Iain

BrisVegas
25th May 2006, 07:35 PM
Just reading the Edwin Watts catalog and it says of the X-Tour wedges...

"On special 58 & 60 degree version, The PM (Phil Mickelson) Grind allows for the maxximum in playability around the greens. The unique "Mack Daddy" Grooves are agressively-sized, but conforming grooves, that maximize spin, trajectory, and distance control."

I hope we've all learned something from that. I know I have.

Jarro
25th May 2006, 07:55 PM
:lol:

i'll bet money they don't perform any better than your SM's Vegas ;)

Falcon
26th May 2006, 08:54 AM
I'd say they out perform the SM's in terms of shot stopping ability even from short distance and they dont have that milled face crap ;)

Plus i reckon they look better.... only downside its like taking a cheese grater to a ball!

gazgolf1
26th May 2006, 10:16 AM
Plus i reckon they look better.... only downside its like taking a cheese grater to a ball!

Falcon,
I hit 75 metre shots with my 60/11 Xtour lob wedge the other day for about an hour using a variety of balls (Apex Reds,B330s,Pro v1's,Rev Tours,Nike Platinums and Blackmax's)and I hate to say it but the ball that shred the worst was the B330s.

McCoy
26th May 2006, 07:40 PM
Going by what's in Falcon's bag I think he can afford plenty of B330s

"On special 58 & 60 degree version, The PM (Phil Mickelson) Grind allows for the maxximum in playability around the greens."

BV,
Are the 2 "x" in maxximum a typo or some great marketing speak?
Normally I walk straight past the Callaway section but I'm checking these wedges out next time.

3oneday
26th May 2006, 08:50 PM
Might have to grab a 58 and compare it to the Nomad.....

Jarro
26th May 2006, 08:51 PM
Might have to grab a 58 and compare it to the Nomad.....

bite your tongue :-P

3oneday
26th May 2006, 08:53 PM
bite your tongue :-P
you don't think ?? I wonder if Ron would give one of those the Nomad treatment ??? What would that be like !!!!!!!!!!!

rick3003
26th May 2006, 09:54 PM
Anybody tried these yet.

They do look the goods.
After two weeks of trialling these are the goods.

Had my first round at NSW with these wedges and they are fantastic. The 58 checks the ball like I have never experienced. I have had Vokey SM and Rac Y cutters and the grooves on the X tours are deeper and sharper.

The vintage finish is starting to rust nicely too!

Pinglauncher
26th May 2006, 11:34 PM
I have just put a 54 and 58 in the bag and have a 50 on order.

I must say with a first hit this afternoon that these spin more than any wedge I have ever played. They sit beautifully and the little extra bounce over the RAC's seems ideal for me.

The 58* with the MD grooves is a little scary though. I have never seen a ball get chewed so easily even with partial shots.

I was playing a B330 -S and an NXT Tour and the Bridgey fared a lot worse than the Titleist.

Falcon
27th May 2006, 12:54 AM
I can feel an X-Tour love fest simmering :p

BrisVegas
27th May 2006, 02:06 PM
Going by what's in Falcon's bag I think he can afford plenty of B330s

"On special 58 & 60 degree version, The PM (Phil Mickelson) Grind allows for the maxximum in playability around the greens."

BV,
Are the 2 "x" in maxximum a typo or some great marketing speak?

Oops.... Typo.

ben
28th May 2006, 08:02 AM
Gotta say, the X-wedges are one of the nicest I've seen. Just the right amount of heel relief.