PDA

View Full Version : Release the club... it's all about the feeling!

andylo
26th July 2004, 05:53 PM
Ahh... finally... I finally understand (and able to) release the club during down swing!!

With all those article I had read it really tell me nothing useful on this topic, I do know it's all about snap the wrist to get the extra club head speed but to me it is more complicated than what it describe in text books. I just happen to discover it by myself accidentally!

Anyway, I am undergoing my... YES!! 4th swing change!! But it feel hells better than my pervious!!

I am able to hit my 6 irons to a target green's flag 158 meters away, constantly (which range ball, not REAL balls), and A LOT straighter too. No good news on all the woods type (including my favourite 3, 5 and Maxfli EzyDrive) but I am not rushing. I will have all my irons figure out (up to 5 iron only) before I jump into the woods! But by the time I am working on woods, I am seeing myself hitting 280 meters constantly with slight draw (watch out Jono :lol: )

Jarro
26th July 2004, 06:01 PM
Good onya Andylo :D

.. now that you've fully grasped the concept of "releasing" the club through impact ...

.. can you come and show me how it's done :oops: :lol:

jaster
26th July 2004, 06:46 PM
It all sounds great but Andy...280 meters with a slight draw :smt017....maybe 250 might be a better goal :)

andylo
26th July 2004, 08:07 PM
thanks jarro, but I don't believe you dunno how to release the club :) because you already hit it a MILE!!

jaster, just let me dream about it, for now... :wink:

markTHEblake
26th July 2004, 08:33 PM
I just happen to discover it by myself accidentally!

Andy, sounds like you have discovered the secret!

If you have to think about releasing the club, then you are doing it wrong. Provided that you get your backswing and position at the top right, then the club will release all by its self - just like magic!

jaster
26th July 2004, 09:02 PM
I just happen to discover it by myself accidentally!

Andy, sounds like you have discovered the secret!

If you have to think about releasing the club, then you are doing it wrong. Provided that you get your backswing and position at the top right, then the club will release all by its self - just like magic!

Exactly right MTB, release is not something that I think about, setup and takeaway on the other hand :)

andylo
26th July 2004, 10:15 PM
umm... I dunno...

To me release the club is not something I need to pay FULL attention to... but I do need to have a degree of attention on it.

With the "secert" I discover, it allows me to align my upper torso and bottom with the right tempo (which allow me to have slower body turn) and all the speed pick up the flick of the wrist.

Never mind, I think different people use different approach/method to achieve the same result/outcome. Afterall, I believe one textbook cannot education all people who read it. :wink:

jaster
26th July 2004, 10:24 PM
umm... I dunno...

To me release the club is not something I need to pay FULL attention to... but I do need to have a degree of attention on it.

With the "secert" I discover, it allows me to align my upper torso and bottom with the right tempo (which allow me to have slower body turn) and all the speed pick up the flick of the wrist.

Never mind, I think different people use different approach/method to achieve the same result/outcome. Afterall, I believe one textbook cannot education all people who read it. :wink:

There is no "secret", I guarantee you will be telling us about this other new thing within 6 months....that is the beauty of golf. What works for me does not work for you, someone you know might have a poor swing but can score better than you everyday of the week...and on and on and on....it's a journey that has no end, don't search for some secret and pronounce to everyone that you have found it, millions have tried, millions have failed but no-one has succeeded...keep searching and enjoy the ride

:)

markTHEblake
26th July 2004, 11:18 PM

That just proves then that you have certain faults in your back swing and that what you have found is a compensation that works. This is all well and good but how long can it last.

Like Jaster I pay no attention to any part of my downswing at all, my mind is only focused on the takeaway and turn, in fact i dont even know what makes my backswing start - it just all happens, and that the clubhead releasing is just the natural unhinging. Its not that i am perfect, I still have a lot to work on, but I am hitting the ball the best in my life - without trying.

Not trying to bring you down, but I dont want to see you ending up like me, who for 20 odd years tinkered with swing compensations which just made much misery.

What i have said, is a direct quote from my trusted coach and mentor, and about a thousand others.

Andy you gotta learn to trust your learn-ed colleagues :-) after all, I only learned to trust this a few months ago.

andylo
27th July 2004, 07:50 AM
Honestly. I dunno :lol:

I will be visiting my favourite coach this Saturday afternoon anyway so I think he can show me (instead of tell me) what I am doing right/wrong and how to improve.

Maybe I am just stupid, I can't be "told" to improve my swing, I need to be "shown" (video cam or alike) because I can fully understand things.

amanda
27th July 2004, 07:59 AM
Hi Andylo - I'm glad you've found something that works.

Is your coach working through this 4th swing change with you?

By the way - have you got your handicap yet?

andylo
27th July 2004, 08:08 AM
Hi amanda ,

Joined a club but haven't got a handicap yet. May start doing it this or next week.

The coach is not currently working on my 4th swing change but he will this Saturday. I will tell him what I have found and listen to him... completely, to do whatever he told me to do (in a golf swing).

McMw
27th July 2004, 10:06 AM
just think of hitting a top spin forehand over the highest part of the net, down the line!!! :wink:

markTHEblake
27th July 2004, 10:55 AM
Honestly. I dunno :lol:

When two of the lowest handicaps on this forum are saying exactly the same thing on swing theory- maybe its a good indication that we might be on to something :idea:

ask your Coach the same thing - would be interested to know what he thinks.

from Doug Kercher http://members.myco.com.au/confidentgolf/gpage2.html

The downswing is just a chain reaction to the proper coiling of the body and loading of the triangle of the backswing.
The downswing is started by the throwing motion of the right arm down and forward. This causes a downward pressure into the feet and the right shoulder moves down. Everything will return square to impact in the right sequence with the left arm swinging on track and the right shoulder powering the club through.
This is only an explanation of what happens when the downswing happens properly. You do not have to think about or manufacture the motion. There are no awkward or unnatural moves or compensations.

Note the comment that this is not a swing tip, so dont try it, but rather a physics 101 lesson.....
Andy dont worry, we will have you playing off 10 in no time.

Jarro
27th July 2004, 03:09 PM
When two of the lowest handicaps on this forum are saying exactly the same thing on swing theory- maybe its a good indication that we might be on to something :idea:

Yeah... Jaster and Tezza know what they're talking about alright 8)

goughy
27th July 2004, 05:04 PM
I see your now ozgolf's official golf swing over-analyist. I might have to fight you for the title andy. Jasters almost been sick a few times after I hit a shot and go - 'well, i think I did this and this which caused this and this which resulted in this and this etc etc'. He's been trying to get me to stop thinking and just hit the ball for ages now, and slowly it's sinking in (after a few 1 irons to my temple - ouch).

I"ve been working on exactly the same thing. For years my clubhead has gotten ahead of my hands at impact, resulting in a loss of consistancy and many fat shots. How have I been working on this. By not thinking about releasing my hands. For years it has been one of my swing thoughts, to release my hands and hit through the ball. What happens then is my hands release so early that the clubhead wins the race to the ball.

Now the last thing I want to think about is releasing my hands. I'm learning that my hands will release the right way as it is a natural part of the correct swing. I don't have to force it to happen. I'm slowly learning that my 3/4 swing can hit the ball further and more accurately than my old full swing when I do this. It's not easy. I've been releasing my hands early since I first picked up a golf club many moons ago, and it's hard to change. But man does it make a difference.

The results of this have been I can now count the fat shots I hit in a round on 1 hand. In the past I would run out of fingers before 9 holes. I'm hitting a lot more thin shots, but at least I'm still getting to the hole.

The essence of this long winded reply is that jaster and mtb are giving good advice. :smt023

andylo
27th July 2004, 09:21 PM
The essence of this long winded reply is that jaster and mtb are giving good advice.

Heehee, no doubt at all :D

Thanks a lot to all of you. Now I know the club release is a nature thing, or the club head will reach the ball faster than the hands.... which lead to non-solid impact or other bad shot :shock:

It just that up to last Saturday I just don't have the "release the club" thingy build into my swing, I was keep doing aggressive body turn to generate power, which lead to all sort of disaster~~!! But since I discover the "release club" thing, I can have a lot slower body turn with farther distance and more consistent too, that's why I am so excited!!

I will keep my swing as it is now until Saturday my coach tell me what to do else :wink:

jaster
27th July 2004, 09:45 PM
Don't tell Peter Lonard the secret is not to turn his body too much ;) Stop thinking so much and start playing andylo 8)

markTHEblake
28th July 2004, 11:46 AM
Andy, contrary to my own advice this is something that I picked up on a few weeks ago - that just might be relevent, and you could even do this in your sardine can office.

Practice your swing without any club, starting with your palms flat and together. As you swing back, its just natural for your hands to seperate, arms to bend and your right hand will make a full turn - your left about a half.

Now just swing through naturally and make your hands 'clap' at point of impact. This should happen effortlessly, subconsciously and gives a good feel of the release.

Try it and tell me what you think.

I got this off the Kallassey[sp?] Magic club instruction video and adopted the clap as opposed to using the club - and seems to have the same affect. A good swing will result in a good solid clap.

andylo
28th July 2004, 12:26 PM
hmm... not quite blakey... not until I slow down my left hand to allow my right hand to catch up. it always feel like it will keep at the same width from half way down to on hte way up during down swing. :?

Ona
28th July 2004, 01:01 PM
what about this drill.. I was trying it to delay my release and really crunch the ball.

No i cant find a link, but it was one guys explenation of TGM's flying wedges. I have a word doc with pics but posting that would be even dumber than joking about violence to my cat :roll: LMAO he just came in and jumped on my lap. No BS