PDA

View Full Version : Pre shot routine

Johnno
14th January 2016, 05:34 AM
Had my pro tell me that he thinks a set pre shot routine is something that all golfers should do just wondering where others stand on this?
Sometimes I'll walk straight up and hit other times ill waggle back and forth or practice swing etc. Does a set routine help?

Captain Nemo
14th January 2016, 05:36 AM
Yes

oldracer
14th January 2016, 05:50 AM
yes, it gives you the chance to tick the boxes, goes pear shaped if they're not, imo

Daves
14th January 2016, 06:50 AM
Yes, and the simpler the better. They timed tiger on his putting routine and it was consistent to something like .2 of a second, from memory.

simmsy
14th January 2016, 08:00 AM
Yes. For sure.

Just as long as it's not like Keegan's or myself.

razaar
14th January 2016, 08:14 AM
IMO a preshot routine is only useful if a player has visualization and awareness skills. He won't have awareness skills until he owns his swing, meaning he can feel mentally what he does during an actual swing.
The preshot routine is a mental rehearsal of the shot we are setting up to play. The preshot routine should give the motor units of the muscles and tissue a pre-run of the shot we are about to play.
Learning these skills takes an awesome amount of time and effort, even for seasoned golfers. Easy to say, hard to do.

LarryLong
14th January 2016, 08:57 AM
Overrated.

dee cee
14th January 2016, 11:46 AM
I reckon you should have some form of pre shot routine, just to get consistency. Doesn't have to be too in depth. I also find that I'm less distracted or likely to think negative thoughts if I have something preprogrammed into my Commodore 64 of a brain. Even it can go mental sometimes.

Of course I find that when there's no pressure it's probably less required. When the pressure is on I definitely think it helps.

Dotty
14th January 2016, 11:54 AM
I adhere to the same 5 step process for every shot ...

Zap pin with range finder.
Grab club.
Take backswing.
Hit ball.
Work out whether I need to play lob, sand or gap wedge for next shot.

Hatchman
14th January 2016, 12:26 PM
I reckon you should have some form of pre shot routine, just to get consistency. Doesn't have to be too in depth. I also find that I'm less distracted or likely to think negative thoughts if I have something preprogrammed into my Commodore 64 of a brain. Even it can have a syntax error sometimes.

Of course I find that when there's no pressure it's probably less required. When the pressure is on I definitely think it helps.

ftfy :)

Johnno
14th January 2016, 01:11 PM
Cheers, I'll have to start playing around and find something comfortable, maybe I can do the baseball thing and point where the ball is (meant to be) going.

So what about opinions once over the ball? Should it be a set time every shot to 'pull the trigger'? I can get doubts and get thinking rather then doing straight away. Is it better to always pull away and start the process again or just make the swing?

3Puttpete
14th January 2016, 01:19 PM
Measure 2 club lengths from where the ball last crossed the margin of the hazard.

Drop ball

Hit

Dotty
14th January 2016, 02:05 PM
It's good etiquette to be quiet whilst someone goes through a pre-shot routine.

Or 10 seconds have elapsed.

Whichever comes first.

Daves
14th January 2016, 02:08 PM
Measure 2 club lengths from where the ball last crossed the margin of the hazard.

Drop ball

Hit

Come on, really you aren't that bad...... most some of the time.:wink:

Steve57
14th January 2016, 02:17 PM

Drop ball

Hit

You need to add the bit about checking whether it is your ball first before you start any of this!

3Puttpete
14th January 2016, 02:20 PM
You need to add the bit about checking whether it is your ball first before you start any of this!

No I don't [emoji15]

Moe Norman
14th January 2016, 02:52 PM
I adopted a routine for my putting a few years back and it has vastly improved.

However, I really vary it on general shots, although I am pretty standard on tee shots.

I never really ever take a practice swing adjacent to the ball, its usually just a loosener swing while standing behind the ball visualising the shot

Only time I really have mutliple practice swings is if I'm playing a flop or some sort of chip, and it doesn't fkn work for me!

Jazz18
14th January 2016, 05:53 PM
I try to have a pre shot routine that's the same as the last one but I'm sure it's not the same everytime. Bit like my swing really.

Slothman
14th January 2016, 06:26 PM
Cheers, I'll have to start playing around and find something comfortable, maybe I can do the baseball thing and point where the ball is (meant to be) going.

So what about opinions once over the ball? Should it be a set time every shot to 'pull the trigger'? I can get doubts and get thinking rather then doing straight away. Is it better to always pull away and start the process again or just make the swing?

Have a read/listen to Dr Bob Rotella...he goes into this a touch in a few of his books.

Essentially.

- Pick a spot as small as possible as your target.
- Commit to target and club combination.
- Go through your routine.
- Final stages are look at target, look at ball and Swing/Putt..
- Finish off with a stagger due to lack of balance.
- Swear once or twice.
- Throw clubs/slam into bag...players choice.
- Blame the sun/wind/lie/partner....good to vary this up a little bit. No point being predictable.
- Fill in the 2 foot divot as instructed by course....

Or if your Simmsy...

- Find smallest target possible.
- Chicken shit it and lay up instead...

Either way works ;)

Johnno
15th January 2016, 05:59 AM
Have a read/listen to Dr Bob Rotella...he goes into this a touch in a few of his books.Essentially.- Pick a spot as small as possible as your target.- Commit to target and club combination.- Go through your routine.- Final stages are look at target, look at ball and Swing/Putt..- Finish off with a stagger due to lack of balance.- Swear once or twice.- Throw clubs/slam into bag...players choice.- Blame the sun/wind/lie/partner....good to vary this up a little bit. No point being predictable.- Fill in the 2 foot divot as instructed by course....Or if your Simmsy...- Find smallest target possible.- Chicken shit it and lay up instead...Either way works ;) Cheers, I have got 1 of his books on my 'to read pile'. I find if I do that last look up before the swing that I lose focus a bit, Everything after the swing part I have down pat though.

dazza99
18th January 2016, 10:05 PM
Had my pro tell me that he thinks a set pre shot routine is something that all golfers should do just wondering where others stand on this?
Sometimes I'll walk straight up and hit other times ill waggle back and forth or practice swing etc. Does a set routine help?

Every single golf book I've read (hundreds) and lesson I've had (few) have talked about of the need for a consistent, reliable pre-shot routine to give you a consistent, reliable swing.

I know it, practice it and keep working on it . And yet I walk off after every round realizing I didn't actually keep to it on every shot :(

mrbluu
19th January 2016, 08:41 AM
Yes, and the simpler the better.
+1 for this.

Simple but consistent.

benno_r
19th January 2016, 08:46 AM
+1 for this.

Simple but consistent.

Can't be any simpler than mine.

1. Stand over ball.
2. Hit ball.

razaar
19th January 2016, 09:27 AM
Have a read/listen to Dr Bob Rotella...he goes into this a touch in a few of his books.

Essentially.

- Pick a spot as small as possible as your target.
- Commit to target and club combination.
- Go through your routine.
- Final stages are look at target, look at ball and Swing/Putt..
- Finish off with a stagger due to lack of balance.
- Swear once or twice.
- Throw clubs/slam into bag...players choice.
- Blame the sun/wind/lie/partner....good to vary this up a little bit. No point being predictable.
- Fill in the 2 foot divot as instructed by course....

Or if your Simmsy...

- Find smallest target possible.
- Chicken shit it and lay up instead...

Either way works ;)Ha-ha. That's what usually happens when the preshot routine is focused on the aim instead of the process. If the focus is on the aim then it tends to influence the build up of internal tension which destroys any chance of a decent swing.

If we don't know the process of making a half decent or rarely practice it, then we will more than likely focus on the aim when we think preshot routine. Then things turn to sh!t and we have no idea why.

dM.
25th January 2016, 01:54 AM
+100%, make sure you do exactly the same thing when you hit up the range - Play as your practice, practice as you play.

oldracer
25th January 2016, 01:07 PM
just been given a new pre-shot, actually a whole new swing, not a real good time to do it but so far so good

Courty
25th January 2016, 02:42 PM
just been given a new pre-shot, actually a whole new swing, not a real good time to do it but so far so good

Now's the perfect time to change everything about your swing, Al. ;)

#UnionForever

oldracer
25th January 2016, 03:02 PM
Now's the perfect time to change everything about your swing, Al. ;)

#UnionForeverthanks Mike, and I know you are very genuine in your encouragement :roll:

backintheswing
25th January 2016, 03:03 PM

That's quite funny, as Pepps is doing the same.

oldracer
25th January 2016, 03:14 PM
That's quite funny, as Pepps is doing the same.so you know we are paired in the War??? it will be chopfest central and I'm on the bench with some stitches as of this morning so all is not really well, bonus is I can work on my chipping still