PDA

View Full Version : Tigers father dies of cancer

Jarro
4th May 2006, 04:56 AM
EARL Woods, the father of US golf legend Tiger and the mastermind behind his son's career, has died after a long battle with cancer.

Earl, 74, died in the home in the California town of Cypress where he raised his famous son, Tiger said in a statement on his website.

"Im very saddened to share the news of my father's passing at home early this morning," said Tiger.
"My dad was my best friend and greatest role model, and I will miss him deeply. Im overwhelmed when I think of all of the great things he accomplished in his life. He was an amazing dad, coach, mentor, soldier, husband and friend.
"I wouldnt be where I am today without him, and I'm honoured to continue his legacy of sharing and caring," he said.

A former Green Beret soldier, Earl has been battling prostate cancer since 1998.

Tommyknocker
4th May 2006, 05:52 AM
Sad news.

Keza_G
4th May 2006, 07:05 AM
sad news indeed.

Courty
4th May 2006, 07:11 AM
He must have had a strong will to hold out this long. He has been sick for many years. RIP

Grunt
4th May 2006, 08:52 AM
Sad News for Tiger, but at the same time I think it may well be very sad news for Tigers opposition players. Think how strong a competitor he is and was getting to this point in his career. Imagine how he will be be now he will be playing for his dad, his true hero.

Tiger so far this year did not seem to be himself in the early part, more than probably likely to the fact his dad was a day to day proposition.

I remember when my Grandfather suffered a stroke in the early nineties and I was in the middle of the best period of my competitive sailing days. I dropped off after he had the stroke I was not handling the fact the guy that had taught me a lot of the important things in life & helped me do things way above & beyond everyones expectations was not going to be there for me anymore. He was placed into a home due to the irreversable effects of the stroke, he died not long after admission to the home. I seemed to be released of all the tension of losing a family member & most of all best friend. It was like I had a silent partner in every race there after, I did not lose a race for almost 3 months after his death.

Go get em Tiger

amanda
4th May 2006, 10:12 AM
This may sound cruel - but it's not - Tiger knows that this has been coming and I'm sure his father was in a lot of pain towards the end. Sometimes we feel a small amount of happiness that someone has passed on - knowing that the pain of a slow death is finally gone.

Eag's
4th May 2006, 11:01 AM
Very true Amanda, I deal with people every day at work suffering from cancer of some kind.
It is not something any person should have to go through for any prolonged period of time.

As sad as Tiger will be with his Dad's passing, a part of him will be relieved that he won't have to suffer any longer.

connico
4th May 2006, 12:03 PM
Well see how this will affect his game, either it will enhance or deteriorate, only time will tell.

Rest in peace earl you've help give the world a memorable champ and wont be forgotten.

addamsmith
4th May 2006, 03:26 PM
I have total respect for tiger as a person, the guy has so much love and respect for his parents. My prayer's go out to him and his mother.I have lost several family members from cancer and I now his pain has ended and he is at peace. Earl was a wonderful father to have as a role model, God bless.
Addam