PDA

View Full Version : Beginner set review!

Jimmy101
11th January 2016, 01:14 PM
Hi everyone, I'm just looking at getting my first set of clubs I'm a beginner with a 9hole round of 62.. The 2nD hand set I'm looking at has a shark predator by Gregg Norman driver, #1 #3 #5 Maxfli tour special woods (steel), #7 brosnan silver bullet 2 wood (steel), #3 #4 #5 #6 #7 #8 #9 pitching wedge and sand wedge Maxfli tangent+ oversize.

Is this a good set to begin with until I get good enough and can afford a fitted set?

Thanks Jimmy101

Ferrins
11th January 2016, 01:25 PM
How much?

Jimmy101
11th January 2016, 01:29 PM
How much?

$250 includes bag balls and new pair of shoes

Ferrins
11th January 2016, 01:35 PM
What is the bag and shoes?

Ferrins
11th January 2016, 01:38 PM
The clubs are worth about $50 max

Ferrins
11th January 2016, 01:43 PM
Mate just wear runners as you'll be hitting them all over the place. I can get you a kit for $250 that will kick the sh^t out of that junk.

Jimmy101
11th January 2016, 01:43 PM
What is the bag and shoes?

1brand new box PGF Powerpact 1 balls
Shark by Greg Norman bag
Leather brosnan golf shoes size 10.5

Most of this gear is stated as "near new"

Jimmy101
11th January 2016, 01:45 PM
Mate just wear runners as you'll be hitting them all over the place. I can get you a kit for $250 that will kick the sh^t out of that junk.

I'm not fussed about shoes, I'm happy to wear runners.
Where do you live I'm in Perth I'd be interested if your in the same city

Ferrins
11th January 2016, 01:49 PM
Brisbane.

Icestorm959
11th January 2016, 01:54 PM
That's a rubbish set. Buy one off Ferrins, he can do delivery to Perth.

AusOdy
11th January 2016, 01:56 PM
Hi everyone, I'm just looking at getting my first set of clubs I'm a beginner with a 9hole round of 62.. The 2nD hand set I'm looking at has a shark predator by Gregg Norman driver, #1 #3 #5 Maxfli tour special woods (steel), #7 brosnan silver bullet 2 wood (steel), #3 #4 #5 #6 #7 #8 #9 pitching wedge and sand wedge Maxfli tangent+ oversize.

Is this a good set to begin with until I get good enough and can afford a fitted set?

Thanks Jimmy101

$250 includes bag balls and new pair of shoes

forget this mate and welcome to OzGolf, gears paradise!!

Jimmy101
11th January 2016, 01:57 PM
Brisbane.

Have you got a website??

3Puttpete
11th January 2016, 01:57 PM
Have you got a website?? The internet's not big enough to contain Ferrins.

3Puttpete
11th January 2016, 01:59 PM
And btw, G'day Jimmy.

Live a little, take a leap of faith. Send Ferrins $250 and your address, see what you end up with. It'll be a win.

thecollective
11th January 2016, 02:02 PM
Jimmy10: best to head onto ebay and look for a good quality 2nd hand set. If I were you I would look out for a PING Eye 2 + Steel set as they can range around the $250 mark (sold around $2500 for their time). As for a bag and buggy I would not bother investing anything in those two items for now, you can pickup any 2nd hand bag for around $50.

If it has to be new IMO PGF and Dynacast make a reasonable beginner set. I am not personally a fan of Brosnan as I think the build quality is very poor. Try squizzys.com as they often have bargain basement deals.

Good luck

Ferrins
11th January 2016, 02:18 PM
I will do a SunMountain carry bag
Dunlop driver
Daiwa 5w
Nike Slingshot 4D irons 4,5,6,7,8,9,pw,sw😀
New Never Compromise putter
1/2 doz good balls & tees

$250 to your door

Jimmy101
11th January 2016, 02:23 PM
I will do a SunMountain carry bagDunlop driverDaiwa 5wNike Slingshot 4D irons 4,5,6,7,8,9,pw,sw😀New Never Compromise putter1/2 doz good balls & tees$250 to your doorHave you got any proof your the real deal like company name website or Facebook page? Also is it air or road freight?

Ferrins
11th January 2016, 02:27 PM
Sorry mate this will go no where so best take thecollectines advice.

Ferrins
11th January 2016, 02:29 PM
Here's one for you
http://m.ebay.com.au/itm/Nike-Slingshot-SS-4D-5-AW-Iron-Set-Steel-Regular-Flex-Shaft-RH-Golf-/271971404750?nav=SEARCH

Jimmy101
11th January 2016, 02:32 PM
Sorry mate this will go no where so best take thecollectines advice.

Can't blame a bloke for wanting a bit of confirmation that it's the real deal......

Ferrins
11th January 2016, 02:39 PM
It's ok mate it is always tough when getting into a new sport.
Maybe hang out on here a bit more and you'll pick up some info. I am on holidays at present so can't do anything till I'm back on the 21st. See how you go and if I can help you with a aet all good.

wizard_of_oz
11th January 2016, 03:02 PM
Jimmy, I'm in Perth and can hook you up with some gear.

Srixon Red standbag
Cleveland Black 265 Driver 10.5 loft
Taylormade R9 3 wood
Callaway FTiZ 4 hybrid
Odyssey blade Putter
Cleveland CG15 lob wedge
Srixon sand wedge

1 doz Callaway Warbird Plus and 1 doz Srixon Q Star golf balls
A couple dozen plastic tees

$160 for the lot. Only thing else you would need is a set of irons, I've got a spare set Mizuno JPX 825 Pro irons but they may be too exxy for you $375.

keymaster
11th January 2016, 05:36 PM
You could always buy off ebay or gumtree. But you will pay a premium.
I would just buy from Ferrins (which I just did, cheers mate)

Jimmy101
11th January 2016, 11:15 PM

Srixon Red standbag
Taylormade R9 3 wood
Callaway FTiZ 4 hybrid
Odyssey blade Putter
Cleveland CG15 lob wedge
Srixon sand wedge

$160 for the lot. Only thing else you would need is a set of irons, I've got a spare set Mizuno JPX 825 Pro irons but they may be too exxy for you $375.

Would I be able to com,e and view these Saturday arvo? Where are u located and can u include a push cart?

Lagerlover
11th January 2016, 11:21 PM
Nice

Ferrins
12th January 2016, 07:11 AM
Oh my goard!

chappy1970
12th January 2016, 07:34 AM
Jimmy, you are going about this the wrong way.

Some of the (long term) members of this forum have offered some solid pricing on decent clubs.

Before you question the legitimacy of the offers, I'd recommend a browse through the forum, in particular the Pro Shop section. You'll quickly discover that clubs are bought and sold routinely between members, with the utmost integrity.

Else your stay here may be brief

benno_r
12th January 2016, 07:38 AM
It also a nice little way to circumvent the 20 post rule for buying or selling.

I hesitate to bring it up, in case people think I persecuting the newbies. :D

Jimmy101
12th January 2016, 09:04 AM
Well guys use should know better than me that if the clubs don't work for you or don't fit then you will play like crap... So I wanna at least swing a club before I buy it because Iv never been fitted out so I don't know what specs suite me and for an apprentice $250 is a sum I can't afford to throw away. So ease up a bit aye

chappy1970
12th January 2016, 09:06 AM
I'm out

Ferrins
12th January 2016, 09:21 AM
Buy a 3 iron and just use that for a year.

keymaster
12th January 2016, 09:40 AM
Legitimate advice here.

If you're not comfortable the way this forum works for buying and selling, I suggest you buy on ebay or gumtree.

<end of story>

Dotty
12th January 2016, 09:40 AM
$250 is a small amount to spend on 12-14 clubs, hence the cheap poorly built unloved set listed in the opening post. There is 3 fairway woods, where you can make do with one reliable one. Same with the redundant irons, the choice will only confuse you and, with inconsistent results of a beginner, will lead to further confusion.

For clubs on a budget, I'd suggest getting 6-8 better clubs, possibly only 4 to begin with.
1. Putter
2. Wedge
3. 6 iron
4. Fairway wood.

You can pick up good second hand and ex-demo of each for $30-50, from the right on course pro-shop, driving range or golf retailer (and on OzGolf, when we have gained your confidence). By having fewer clubs, you'll learn to control them and become a shotmaker, rather than a bland 'formula' golfer with no variety in his game.

Once you can play these, then look at adding other individual clubs or getting a full set. (Or deciding you don't like the game.) If you do progress to a full set, then you'll have these clubs for a mate to use and join you on the course, so the cycle continues.

But first I'd suggest getting a lesson. It'll cost $40-50, but it will give you the fundamentals and you can ask the professional about getting started with club purchases.

If you don't know a pro, then ask at the local driving range or public course. I'm a long way from Perth, but I've heard wonderful things about Wembly Golf Centre.

Dotty
12th January 2016, 09:51 AM

Srixon Red standbag
Taylormade R9 3 wood
Callaway FTiZ 4 hybrid
Odyssey blade Putter
Cleveland CG15 lob wedge
Srixon sand wedge

Something like this would be ideal, and just add an ex-demo 6 iron for another $30.

Get the lesson first, so you will know whether you should be looking at something with 'stiff flex', 'regular flex' or something more flexible.

Jimmy101
12th January 2016, 10:12 AM
$250 is a small amount to spend on 12-14 clubs, hence the cheap poorly built unloved set listed in the opening post. There is 3 fairway woods, where you can make do with one reliable one. Same with the redundant irons, the choice will only confuse you and, with inconsistent results of a beginner, will lead to further confusion.

For clubs on a budget, I'd suggest getting 6-8 better clubs, possibly only 4 to begin with.
1. Putter
2. Wedge
3. 6 iron
4. Fairway wood.

You can pick up good second hand and ex-demo of each for $30-50, from the right on course pro-shop, driving range or golf retailer (and on OzGolf, when we have gained your confidence). By having fewer clubs, you'll learn to control them and become a shotmaker, rather than a bland 'formula' golfer with no variety in his game.

Once you can play these, then look at adding other individual clubs or getting a full set. (Or deciding you don't like the game.) If you do progress to a full set, then you'll have these clubs for a mate to use and join you on the course, so the cycle continues.

But first I'd suggest getting a lesson. It'll cost $40-50, but it will give you the fundamentals and you can ask the professional about getting started with club purchases.

If you don't know a pro, then ask at the local driving range or public course. I'm a long way from Perth, but I've heard wonderful things about Wembly Golf Centre.

Cheers mate really do appreciate your advice.

JADO75
12th January 2016, 11:04 AM
Go to Drummond & get some fitted unfitted clubs for $1250 perhaps?