PDA

View Full Version : Hybrids....Ppppppphhhhttttt!!!!!!!!!

oldracer
10th January 2016, 08:18 AM
Am absolutely over getting on the fairway off the tee (rarely) only to punt right or left my next shot into the boonies with a hybrid trying for distance.
New set of bats has a 4i so put that in the kit yesterday arvo for a praccy and my second shot "mostly" was down the short green stuff increasing my averages for a half decent score. Have given the 3/4 wood scenario away a long time ago so I'll take this tack until it doesn't work anymore I think.
The distance from tee to where my second shot finishes with a 4/5 iron second should still give me a scoring iron chance of GIR, on par 5's obviously.
This is just a ramble but anyone else really frustrated with fairway f***ups?

simmsy
10th January 2016, 09:53 AM
Hit your driver further.

oldracer
10th January 2016, 10:09 AM
Hit your driver further.sheesh, tuff crowd, thought getting within scoring iron distance with my second meant my drive was out there a bit...:smt087

Hatchman
10th January 2016, 12:50 PM
Am absolutely over getting on the fairway off the tee (rarely) only to punt right or left my next shot into the boonies with a hybrid trying for distance.
New set of bats has a 4i so put that in the kit yesterday arvo for a praccy and my second shot "mostly" was down the short green stuff increasing my averages for a half decent score. Have given the 3/4 wood scenario away a long time ago so I'll take this tack until it doesn't work anymore I think.
The distance from tee to where my second shot finishes with a 4/5 iron second should still give me a scoring iron chance of GIR, on par 5's obviously.
This is just a ramble but anyone else really frustrated with fairway f***ups?

Yep, except in my case it was Titleist 910f 3 wood.

Yossarian
10th January 2016, 01:07 PM
Can't believe a JDM hybrid would let someone down.

Wardy101
10th January 2016, 01:30 PM
3 and 5 wood are my trouble makers off the fairway. Generally when I am trying to hit it too hard.

Have a 910H that is my go to club when I am playing smart

oldracer
10th January 2016, 01:49 PM
3 and 5 wood are my trouble makers off the fairway. Generally when I am trying to hit it too hard.

Have a 910H that is my go to club when I am playing smartgave the woods away ages ago Wardy and like you, thought the H would be ok, might have to go back to the old adams idea black, that was money, maybe the hit it too hard thing is the go as well

Courty
10th January 2016, 05:15 PM
Al, are you trying to hit the hybrid like an iron or a fairway wood?

oldracer
10th January 2016, 06:26 PM
Al, are you trying to hit the hybrid like an iron or a fairway wood?trying to sweep it like a wood Mike, sometimes ok but not a percentage shot for me at the mo

Courty
10th January 2016, 06:42 PM
trying to sweep it like a wood Mike, sometimes ok but not a percentage shot for me at the mo

That could be the problem, IMO. Try hitting a bit steeper like an iron and report back.

oldracer
10th January 2016, 06:45 PM
That could be the problem, IMO. Try hitting a bit steeper like an iron and report back.thanks mate, appreciate it as always, back to you with :lol: hopefully, cheers

Wardy101
10th January 2016, 07:05 PM
That could be the problem, IMO. Try hitting a bit steeper like an iron and report back.

great advice....read that on here awhile back and since then works well.

davidw88
10th January 2016, 07:18 PM
Yeah you got to hit them like an iron, Try a g30 hybrid if you want another one. These are easy to hit.

Hux
10th January 2016, 09:31 PM
Adams DHY Proto's......definitely anti left. Can hit them high, low left or right. Sadly with my skyrocketing handicap this can be uncontrollable for me.

oldracer
10th January 2016, 09:35 PM
Adams DHY Proto's......definitely anti left. Can hit them high, low left or right. Sadly with my skyrocketing handicap this can be uncontrollable for me.feeelin the same big fella!!!!!!

mrbluu
10th January 2016, 09:37 PM
sheesh, tuff crowd, thought getting within scoring iron distance with my second meant my drive was out there a bit...:smt087 Have u tried going wedge, wedge, works well for Peppas ;)

oldracer
10th January 2016, 09:38 PM
Yeah you got to hit them like an iron, Try a g30 hybrid if you want another one. These are easy to hit.thanks Dave, will give this hit like an iron a whirl, cheers

Haystacks
10th January 2016, 09:40 PM

thecollective
10th January 2016, 11:29 PM
old racer: hybrids are easier to hit but harder to control - they seem to multiply your swing flaw and hence put you more in the crap than what a 2 iron would do (on a mis-hit go nowhere). I find my hybrid to be very effective when hitting more of a punch shot. Perhaps try throwing a 75% swing, lower the trajectory and your accuracy might improve.

oldracer
11th January 2016, 04:04 AM
Have u tried going wedge, wedge, works well for Peppas ;)was thinking 6i, 6i, 9i might get there...fkn sillier things have been known to work, course management isn't it?????

oldracer
11th January 2016, 04:06 AM
old racer: hybrids are easier to hit but harder to control - they seem to multiply your swing flaw and hence put you more in the crap than what a 2 iron would do (on a mis-hit go nowhere). I find my hybrid to be very effective when hitting more of a punch shot. Perhaps try throwing a 75% swing, lower the trajectory and your accuracy might improve.will give this a crack TC, appreciate the tip, cheers

rick3003
12th January 2016, 10:02 PM
trying to sweep it like a wood Mike, sometimes ok but not a percentage shot for me at the mo
Get a hybrid that plays like a fairway wood. I too sweep my hybrids and iron type hybrids just don't work for me... Ping g25 was good and the new titty 816H1 look the goods

Steve57
12th January 2016, 10:11 PM
I have thrown the hybrid out of the bag and now use a Titty T-MB 2 iron.Best move I have ever made.
This thing is a rocket launcher. Off the tee on tight holes or off the fairway it just goes!

LoveGolf2012
12th January 2016, 11:02 PM
I have thrown the hybrid out of the bag and now use a Titty T-MB 2 iron.Best move I have ever made.
This thing is a rocket launcher. Off the tee on tight holes or off the fairway it just goes!

This seems like a great set up [emoji111]️

Jazz18
12th January 2016, 11:19 PM

Have a 910H that is my go to club when I am playing smart

Glad to hear it's working for you John, assuming that's the one you got off me! :)

oldracer
13th January 2016, 10:28 AM
yesterday went with 4-W and 16* Hybrid, used hybrid 4 times off a tee for 50% effective drives and used 4 and 5 iron for fairways for 100% success in advancing on the short green stuff, just need to be in play off the tee box now

mrbluu
13th January 2016, 10:44 AM
yesterday went with 4-W and 16* Hybrid, used hybrid 4 times off a tee for 50% effective drives and used 4 and 5 iron for fairways for 100% success in advancing on the short green stuff, just need to be in play off the tee box now

That's awesome you played with AndyP 50% of the time yesterday :mrgreen:

PeteyD
13th January 2016, 11:02 AM
I am quite taken with the Cobra Fly-Z. Might get a 4/5 now.

Wardy101
13th January 2016, 03:19 PM
Glad to hear it's working for you John, assuming that's the one you got off me! :)

That's the one Rich. Haven't tinkered with settings much as it is working well. When I hit it well it is a monster.

Jazz18
13th January 2016, 04:54 PM
That's the one Rich. Haven't tinkered with settings much as it is working well. When I hit it well it is a monster.

Nice. Knew it had a place in someones bag.

topping
10th February 2016, 07:53 AM
I've been fighting with 3 woods for years. Tried so many options. But seriously, the Ping g30 is out of this world. Easy to hit off the deck and so forgiving. Also use it on tight tee shots. Highly recommended.