PDA

View Full Version : Aaaarrrrgggghhhhhh, Give me my hybrid club!

AndyP
26th July 2004, 04:00 PM
Ever since April I have been trying to get a quote from McLeod GC Pro-shop on a Maxfli Ezydrive 4 (I figured it would be $129 max). After receiving my $100 voucher from the club, I had pretty much determined that this was the club I was going to use it on. Anyway, the trainee pro said that he would need to ring their Maxfli rep to get this quote. So I waited, and waited, and never got a call back. This has gone on for the last few months, with my two months in Canberra setting it back a little too.
Continued the calls when I got back, and finally had a breakthrough today. As of the 1st of this month, PGA National Golf Centres, which the pro-shop is affiliated with, no longer gets Maxfli products. Booooooooooooo! Not happy, Jan. Apparently they have a similar style club, called the PGF Status Super Steel valued at $159. Whoopy! :roll:

So now, I am without the rescue club I wanted, and still have $100 to spend at the pro-shop with no idea what to get. I also have $50 to use at Nambour GC, so I might try them for the EzyDrive now. See if I have any luck there.

I've gotta think of something to buy at McLeod now. :? Maybe Wet Weather gear, or long sleeved golf shirt, I need some new spikes. Imagine how many packs of tees I could get. :roll:

goughy
26th July 2004, 04:04 PM
If ya wanna spend a little more you could probably get the hogan hybrid for about 220 steel. It's getting great reviews.

Jarro
26th July 2004, 04:06 PM
why don't you just buy new golf balls from McLeod golf club with your $100 voucher, then sell 'em on E-Bay.

with the money you get, you could just about pay for the Ezy-Drive.

McMw
26th July 2004, 04:24 PM
golfworks has the ezydrives for 99bucks...

just trade the voucher for cash with someone else...

Fishman Dan
26th July 2004, 04:59 PM
Yeah, House of Golf has them for about $99 as well.

Get a brand spanking new box of Hogan's - and get them to lower the price for farnarkling you around too.

markTHEblake
26th July 2004, 08:42 PM
Andy, just buy a bunch of golf balls with your $100 voucher, as long as its a brand that Nambour stocks and swap them for whatever you want.

Golf Balls are legal tender at any Pro Shop at retail value - anyone who trades you less is a BUM.

I am always cashing in my golf balls for something else.

terryand
26th July 2004, 09:36 PM
Andy, just buy a bunch of golf balls with your $100 voucher, as long as its a brand that Nambour stocks and swap them for whatever you want.

Golf Balls are legal tender at any Pro Shop at retail value - anyone who trades you less is a BUM.

I am always cashing in my golf balls for something else.

If you do this Andy,Make sure they don't have the McLeod logo on them :smt011

Terry.

BrisVegas
27th July 2004, 06:37 AM
Andy,

Buy some long trousers with the moola. :wink:

Dion

AndyP
27th July 2004, 08:03 AM
Buy some long trousers with the moola. :wink:
Something wrong with my legs?

I don't know if I can do this. I seem to recall the trainee pro at Nambour complaining about people buying balls cheap elsewhere, then bringing them in to trade in for better balls (on a 3 for 2 basis).
I might have to look into it further. :?

Anyone want to buy my $100 voucher? :wink:

3oneday
27th July 2004, 08:27 AM
I have a RM 19* with stiff graphite (Rifle MT85) in the shed, find another $100 and you can have that one.

Pete

AndyP
27th July 2004, 08:57 AM
Er..um..er...a couple of lessons wouldn't go astray ! 8)
Don't be nasty. I've reached my lowpoint now.
"3oneday"]I have a RM 19* with stiff graphite (Rifle MT85) in the shed, find another $100 and you can have that one.
No thanks, mate. Definitely after 22°.

3oneday
27th July 2004, 09:41 AM
Hey G69, how the hell long is your driver ??? looks almost as tall as you in that photo :lol: . :smt119

3oneday
27th July 2004, 09:55 AM
when roided up I can rip it out past 300m. 8)

:roll: :^o

AndyP
27th July 2004, 10:01 AM
Normally 250-260m on average, but when roided up I can rip it out past 300m. 8)
I'm pretty sure you were hitting your 5 wood that far. :wink:

markTHEblake
27th July 2004, 10:49 AM
I seem to recall the trainee pro at Nambour complaining about people buying balls cheap elsewhere, then bringing them in to trade in for better balls

Shouldnt be a problem as long as the Pro Shop stocks them - but i take his point. Usually they are happy to trade the balls they have given out in rundowns NTPs, etc, but I would have to agree that bought from somewhere else is probably pushing the freindship.

FWIW, is there a Pine Wooden bookshelf in the Proshop at Nambour? If so that would be the trophy I won there in 83, and swapped it for 1 Dozen Titliest Balatas. From memory they were using it for a time to display golf balls.

Anything is possible.

AndyP
27th July 2004, 12:24 PM
FWIW, is there a Pine Wooden bookshelf in the Proshop at Nambour? If so that would be the trophy I won there in 83, and swapped it for 1 Dozen Titliest Balatas. From memory they were using it for a time to display golf balls.
Don't think so. But I'll have a closer look in a couple of weeks time....maybe.

AndyP
15th August 2004, 03:42 PM
Maxfli Ezydrive #4 (22°) is on order from Nambour GC.
The pro said he couldn't match the $99 that GolfWorks had because I was using a proshop voucher, however he said he would beat the $129 he initially quoted.

So all up, I will be out of pocket no more than $70 for my new club.
\:D/

So what's next.......driver? :smt018 :wink:

Jarro
15th August 2004, 04:04 PM
Maxfli Ezydrive #4 (22°) is on order from Nambour GC.

.. about bloody time :!:

AndyP
15th August 2004, 06:02 PM
.. about bloody time :!:
I am a very analytical person, and must have all the relevant information assessed before making a decision.
Not all of us can buy spontaneously, you know. :roll:

Courty
16th August 2004, 04:24 PM
Andy, I have a 19* Ezy-Drive on order with my po-shop too. I'm not sure of the price yet, but he said around the $100 mark.

AndyP
17th August 2004, 11:43 AM
Andy, I have a 19* Ezy-Drive on order with my po-shop too. I'm not sure of the price yet, but he said around the $100 mark.
That sounds about right to me. 8)

3oneday
17th August 2004, 11:50 AM
pro said he couldn't match the $99 that GolfWorks had because I was using a proshop voucher

don't mean to be rude, but since when are Pro Shop vouchers not worth what is printed on them ??? Doesn't make sense, that money has been put into the voucher by the club, I assume, so it should be worth whatever it says ??

Just an observation...
Pete

AndyP
17th August 2004, 11:57 AM
don't mean to be rude, but since when are Pro Shop vouchers not worth what is printed on them ??? Doesn't make sense, that money has been put into the voucher by the club, I assume, so it should be worth whatever it says ??

I know, but what are ya going to do. :smt102

I guess it is a $50 voucher worth $35. :roll:

goughy
17th August 2004, 12:06 PM
The club may not have been the one who paid for the voucher. Most comps at our club have prizes sponsored by other members and businesses. I even did this for a while.

I do remember one year I spoke to the pro shop about getting a voucher from them to offer as a prize. They did say they'd look after me with the cost (say a $100 voucher for like 80 or 90 bucks).

But a dollar value is a dollar value. What they're probably saying is they'll only get it for you at full retail, as opposed to giving you a discount and trying to compete with other possible retailers.

Still dosen't quite make sense.

AndyP
17th August 2004, 12:26 PM
What they're probably saying is they'll only get it for you at full retail, as opposed to giving you a discount and trying to compete with other possible retailers.

They said they would match prices, but not if I was using my voucher. I'm over it.
Hopefully my first new club in four years gets in by this weekend. 8)

Courty
21st August 2004, 11:11 PM
Got the Maxfli Ezy-Drive today (No. 3/ 19*/ stiff steel) very nice. Had a lot of interest from others hanging around the pro-shop, especially when they found out the price. I think the pro is even considering stocking them now. I only hit it a few times during the round, and need to work out what distance it goes. I need more time with it to give any sort of accurate review.

AndyP
22nd August 2004, 10:57 AM
Keep me updated, Courty. 8)

:?: Have you had a hit of the TM Rescue Mids? If so, how do you compare the two clubs?

Mine won't be available for a while yet, so I won't pick it up until I am next on the Sunshine Coast. Which will most likely be in two weeks time. Probably won't add it to my bag straight away, as I will be playing a matchplay round.

Plus the 4 iron seems to be going really well at the moment. :? Typical isn't it? I order the Ezydrive #4, so the 3I & 4I get the boot. The 4I starts performing, and I realise that I am hardly using the 5W anymore. Makes me think that I could have got the #2 or #3. :roll:

Courty
23rd August 2004, 04:57 PM

:?: Have you had a hit of the TM Rescue Mids? If so, how do you compare the two clubs?

One of my mates has a TM Rescue in the same specs (no. 3/ 19*) but his has a regular graphite shaft, where as mine has a stiff steel. It is therefore difficult to compare them other than the fact they are both easy to hit. I will get out to the range soon to give it a comprehensive workout and let you know my findings :roll:

AndyP
23rd August 2004, 10:10 PM

One of my mates has a TM Rescue in the same specs (no. 3/ 19*) but his has a regular graphite shaft, where as mine has a stiff steel. It is therefore difficult to compare them other than the fact they are both easy to hit. I will get out to the range soon to give it a comprehensive workout and let you know my findings :roll:

I used A-Lo's Ezydrive #3 with the graphite shaft. Posted my thoughts in the Oxley driving range thread. All I can say is sweeeeet.
Damo is apparently getting one tomorrow, so I guess this now makes the Ezydrive the "IT" club, replacing the R7. :wink:

3oneday
24th August 2004, 06:24 AM
so I guess this now makes the Ezydrive the "IT" club, replacing the R7. :wink:
never thought I would see a comparison like that :shock: , nice one andippy.....

Pete

AndyP
24th August 2004, 07:56 AM
nice one andippy.....

I prefer AndyP.Diddy. :wink:

BrisVegas
24th August 2004, 10:19 AM
Andy,

You could probably get the #2 Ezydrive, to go with the #4. Not sure, but I'd say the gap between #4 Ezydrive and your 4 iron would be reasonable enough.

After that you need a kickass driver :wink:

AndyP
24th August 2004, 11:03 AM
Andy,

You could probably get the #2 Ezydrive, to go with the #4. Not sure, but I'd say the gap between #4 Ezydrive and your 4 iron would be reasonable enough.
Probably wouldn't need the 5 wood then, it's an idea. :idea:
After using the Ezydrive last night, I don't have too many concerns about replacing the 4 iron.

damoocow
24th August 2004, 06:48 PM
Went to golfworks this arvo and picked up the club of the moment - a MAXFLI EZYDRIVE #3 - more popular than R 7"s I have heard !.
Had a few whacks with Jarro's RM at Nudgee last week and demoed a Hogan #2 at Keperra on Monday , then hit A-Lo's Ezydrive at the range last night - was impressed with the graphite shafts in the maxfli and the hogan - which is a big call coming from a steel shaft nut like me - eventually got the closest I could get off the rack [Aldila]to the hogan shaft - flex somewhere between a DG R300 and S300 - or so I am told ? [golf salesmen don't tell lies do they?]- anyway it was cheap enough for me to swap the shafts for a DG if it doesn't feel right tomorrow at Keperra - but I have a really good feeling about this club [let the honeymoon period begin !] - oh yeah the price - $95 - sweet - bring on Keperra tomorrow !
damoocow

Jarro
24th August 2004, 07:04 PM
Nice pickup Damo .... what club is getting the boot to make way for this :?

damoocow
24th August 2004, 07:12 PM
I don't know - probably nothing - haven't been carrying a 3 or 4 I for ages - 7W covering them - will work on checking distance with the ezy tomorrow - really hoping it will be a 'go to ' safe tee option more than a fairway miracle worker, time will tell
damoocow

CobraSS
25th August 2004, 12:11 PM
Went to golfworks this arvo and picked up the club of the moment - a MAXFLI EZYDRIVE #3 - more popular than R 7"s I have heard !.
Had a few whacks with Jarro's RM at Nudgee last week and demoed a Hogan #2 at Keperra on Monday , then hit A-Lo's Ezydrive at the range last night - was impressed with the graphite shafts in the maxfli and the hogan - which is a big call coming from a steel shaft nut like me - eventually got the closest I could get off the rack [Aldila]to the hogan shaft - flex somewhere between a DG R300 and S300 - or so I am told ? [golf salesmen don't tell lies do they?]- anyway it was cheap enough for me to swap the shafts for a DG if it doesn't feel right tomorrow at Keperra - but I have a really good feeling about this club [let the honeymoon period begin !] - oh yeah the price - $95 - sweet - bring on Keperra tomorrow !
damoocow

Can you remember roughly what they were selling the Hogan Hybrid clubs for?

Jarro
25th August 2004, 12:29 PM
damoocow

so are you gonna give a review.. or do you want me to :wink:

AndyP
25th August 2004, 12:33 PM
damoocow told me on Monday night that he saw the Hogan for $270+, I think, in a pro shop. :shock:

andylo
25th August 2004, 01:04 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=36214&item=3690605294&rd=1&ssPageName=WD1V

3oneday
25th August 2004, 01:21 PM
That is a top price, about $50 under the norm and my spies tell me under cost in Aus.

The seller does get alot of stuff from the US, he was actually one of the guys mentioned in the recent Golf Digest article on buying on the net. He is also selling alot of Fusions second hand, for over $500 :lol: .

Pete

CobraSS
25th August 2004, 02:56 PM
damoocow told me on Monday night that he saw the Hogan for $270+, I think, in a pro shop. :shock:

COOLIES

I just won two auctions from the same seller on US Ebay for a 19 and 21 degree, Hogan CFT Hybrid, brand new with head covers, stiff steel shafts. Total $175.50 US including postage to AUS. So that translates to roughly $125AU per club delivered. :)

AndyP
25th August 2004, 03:28 PM
Top buy, CobraSS. 8)

:?: You mean 18° and 21°, don't you? Aren't they 3º apart?

CobraSS
25th August 2004, 03:53 PM
Top buy, CobraSS. 8)

:?: You mean 18° and 21°, don't you? Aren't they 3º apart?

no; and yes and no

they come as follows
1=17*
2=19*
3=21*
4=24*
5=27*
8)

3oneday
25th August 2004, 04:14 PM
So that translates to roughly $125AU per club delivered. :)
sooooo, you'll sell the 21* for $150 ????

delivered !!!!!!!!!!!!! :lol:

Pete

CobraSS
25th August 2004, 05:18 PM
So that translates to roughly $125AU per club delivered. :)
sooooo, you'll sell the 21* for $150 ????

delivered !!!!!!!!!!!!! :lol:

Pete

you can have my 21* 3 iron for $150 delivered :smt044

damoocow
25th August 2004, 08:07 PM
Well the ezydrive debut was an unmitigated disaster ! - a range of shots from 30cm off the ground to high slices to well you name it and I hit it today - mainly wild and out to the right and LOW - entered the pro shop after the round to enquire about a DG shaft and I get one of the pro's give up his time to test the shaft flex and my swing speed etc etc - turns out the aldila in the ezydrive is suited to a swing speed of around 60mph - my iron swing speed is around 80mph so shaft was never going to work for me - a DG R300 will be ready in it prob tomorrow and I will take it out for a bash on Friday - expecting much better results then - also Pro [Chris I forget his last name -Jarro will know ] was really good - took a look at my driver shaft flex and it s suitability and also flex of irons and etc etc - wouldn't know me from a bar of soap but was very helpful.
roll on Friday .
damoocow

terryand
25th August 2004, 08:22 PM
Damo,that is Chris McCourt.

Awesome fitter,say no more :smt023

Terry.

damoocow
25th August 2004, 08:31 PM
Yep Tez - that was him [Jarro just sent a PM with his name !] -he was incredible - now that is what I call service from a pro shop !
damoocow

AndyP
26th August 2004, 07:59 AM
they come as follows
1=17*
2=19*
3=21*
4=24*
5=27*
8)
Well there you go. That's weird. :?

AndyP
26th August 2004, 08:04 AM
Well the ezydrive debut was an unmitigated disaster !
Definitely not giving my Ezydrive it's debut for my matchplay round now. :shock:

:?: Was this the pro at Keperra that helped you out?

BTW where are the scores from this OzGolf Day, I'm sure onewood is waiting on them. :wink:

Jarro
26th August 2004, 09:23 AM
nothing wrong with damoocow's clubhead, it's just that shaft was wayyyy to whippy... should go great with a DG in it :wink:

I suppose you bought one with the stock graphite in it didn'y you AndyP :roll:

AndyP
26th August 2004, 09:28 AM
I suppose you bought one with the stock graphite in it didn'y you AndyP :roll:
No, steel.

AndyP
6th September 2004, 09:18 AM
Picked up the Maxfli Ezydrive 22° on Saturday from the Nambour GC Pro-shop. Expected to be $60 to $70 out of pocket after using my $50 voucher. Final price $89, so only $39 out of pocket.

Came with a True Temper Dynalite Steel shaft (don't know anything about this), and a Lamkin cord grip. :cool:

Haven't used it yet. Was already using my driver and 3W for the first time in a comp round, didn't want to push my luck by introducing a third new club to the bag.

Here's the weird thing. It is an Ezydrive #5, and not a #4 as expected. :shock: The degree of loft is right though. :?
I recall seeing a picture of the #5 on the Golfworks site with 22°, and assumed that the picture was wrong.
Courty's is a #3, but it is 19°. If the #3 is 19°, what loft is the #4? :? :smt102

Ona
6th September 2004, 11:10 AM
andy whats the playing length mate?

BrisVegas
6th September 2004, 11:34 AM
Here's the weird thing. It is an Ezydrive #5, and not a #4 as expected. :shock: The degree of loft is right though. :?
I recall seeing a picture of the #5 on the Golfworks site with 22°, and assumed that the picture was wrong.
Courty's is a #3, but it is 19°. If the #3 is 19°, what loft is the #4? :? :smt102

bah, who cares?! As long as you hit it good mate! :wink:

AndyP
6th September 2004, 12:15 PM

Haven't used it yet.
:roll: :razz: :wink: :lol:

3oneday
6th September 2004, 12:32 PM

Haven't used it yet.
:roll: :razz: :wink: :lol:
Andippy,
Length of the actual club, I think ??? :P as in HOW BIG IS IT :shock:

Ona
6th September 2004, 01:24 PM
if I asked how far you hit it would you say 42" ? :P :x :wink:

3oneday
6th September 2004, 01:33 PM
if I asked how far you hit it would you say 42" ? :P :x :wink:
:lol: maybe ??? :twisted:

AndyP
6th September 2004, 01:46 PM
Length of the actual club, I think ??? :P as in HOW BIG IS IT :shock:

Thanks Pete for explaining OnaBreak's HO talk to me. :roll:

No idea what the "playing length" is? :?

I think I will go have a lie down now.

3oneday
6th September 2004, 01:49 PM
:lol: