PDA

View Full Version : Are you a ball snob? I think I am.

Ferrins
8th January 2016, 06:17 AM
I like to play a tour ball but yesterday I found a Srixon Trispeed in the scrub and after cleaning it put it into playand and loved it. Sttarted Googling on the course about it and found out it is discontinued and continued on with all the Googling enquiries. Sent txt messages to Daves and my ball guy with tremendous interest in this ball and it's modern equivelent. The age of the Srixon put me off and placed an order in for 4 dozen Bridgestone E6. Last night read reviews from previous threads on here and my interest for these balls waned. Wake up this morning with zero interest and will buy some more premo balls today from Drummonds in Launceston. Researching OZgolf has set a course in my mind that new premo balls are the only choice.

Daves
8th January 2016, 07:37 AM
No, you just don't listen. Why ask if you never take the requested advice on board?

Ferrins
8th January 2016, 07:45 AM
It's Anthony Robbins fault.

goughy
8th January 2016, 07:45 AM
I'm giving the E6's a go, after playing my first comp round with some Laddies I found in Kyan's bag. For a while there when I was playing a bit more regularly I wanted to be a ball snob, though buying second hand it had to be Utri Tours or Pro V1's. But the best period of golf I've ever had I was using Srixon Soft Feels and Nike Spin Controls. Maybe wanting to be a ball snob is just a waste of money for me.

Dotty
8th January 2016, 08:04 AM
Ask the other Ferrins what he discovered from his 64 ball Pat Malone shootout.

Captain Nemo
8th January 2016, 08:27 AM
Yes for me.
Only play Premo's.
Not fussed on brand though.
New ball to start every round.
;)

pt73
8th January 2016, 08:54 AM
Same as El Capitan, assuming the 2015 TM TP is considered a Premo ball.

LarryLong
8th January 2016, 08:55 AM
I can never tell the difference between one ball and the next, so I'm not fussy.

BenM
8th January 2016, 09:59 AM
Yep, new ball every round and have used Z Stars then Pentas then Lethals then TPs then TPx so if they count as premos, I guess that makes me a ball snob too.

Jazz18
8th January 2016, 10:07 AM
Yep, I only use premo balls as well. For a while was mainly using Callaway then I went to the lethals/pentas then TP's. Been back with Pro v's of late but just tried the new Bridgestone B330-S and really enjoyed them. Feel great off the putter and perform as good as anything everywhere else.

Moe Norman
8th January 2016, 10:54 AM
unsure what qualifies as a premo, but I only use decent balls that I can get cheap.

I bought 4 dozen Zstars from Jono and am working through them currently

coalesce
8th January 2016, 10:59 AM
I'm happily non-premo.

I've been primarily using Nike Mojo balls for a while and they are fine for me. I do change them when they get scuffed, but other than that, they seem to work.

I've got a dozen Wilson Speedcore to try when I run out of those - golfbox sent me them free with a 5 pack of gloves!

WBennett
8th January 2016, 11:22 AM
NXT Tour S for me. Premo balls make my crap shots way worse.

mrbluu
8th January 2016, 11:25 AM
Taylormade TPx or TP's only for me.

Ron Burgundy
8th January 2016, 11:32 AM
Yeah. But I get them 2nd hand from MTB or similar so they're cheaper than buying rocks new. Does that count? Can you be a snob and a tightarse simultaneously?

benno_r
8th January 2016, 11:34 AM
I use brand new Prov1's as range balls. They are generally over the fences to either side to bother going and picking them up though.

Don't you guys do the same?????

mrbluu
8th January 2016, 11:43 AM
I use brand new Prov1's as range balls. They are generally over the fences to either side to bother going and picking them up though.

Don't you guys do the same?????
That's a lie, u are a range flusha!!!

thecollective
8th January 2016, 11:51 AM
I use whatever is cheap coz I am jew-town with all my golfing purchases.

Still wading through my Wilson Staff FG Tour balls ($22.50 per doz) and Mizuno MP's ($29 per doz).

In saying that I used the Cally Supersofts after the cheat ball comp and found them to be very good.

benno_r
8th January 2016, 11:51 AM
That's a lie, u are a range flusha!!!

True. I am going to raise a motion that all OZgolf championships moving forward are held at driving ranges only.

Hatchman
8th January 2016, 11:59 AM
I switch between ProV1 and what ever TM's premo ball is (Penta 5 my favourite).

I buy the TM's and get the ProV1 from winnings in the club comps.

Have the odd dabble trying a sleeve of something else but keep going back to the 2 above.

When playing Sand Greens I use whatever rocks I have won away that couldn't be swapped for ProV's.

Johnny Canuck
8th January 2016, 11:59 AM
I use the variety of premium balls that I like from each manufacturer. To be completely honest, at my level, I don't see too much difference from brand to brand, which is why I find it amusing when mid to high cappers say that one ball is longer than another, etc.

Spin around and into greens is the only real discernible difference for me.

Each round starts with a new pill.

Jazz18
8th January 2016, 12:18 PM
True. I am going to raise a motion that all OZgolf championships moving forward are held at driving ranges only.

I'd vote for that!

aussieashley
8th January 2016, 01:42 PM
Has anyone on here actually used a range ball to play 18 holes? I often think how good I hit it at the range and how bad I hit it on course :)

Yossarian
8th January 2016, 01:45 PM
Found ball, loved ball, ordered other balls, now ordered other other balls. Goodness.

hacker
8th January 2016, 01:49 PM
So you had a good time at steamworks then?

Ferrins
8th January 2016, 02:08 PM
Just going back to Pro V1 or x

spanner039
8th January 2016, 02:11 PM
Ball snob yes - played recently with a dude that used a Callaway he lost all respect from me

Ferrins
8th January 2016, 02:12 PM
Callaway ball player, splitters!😀

spanner039
8th January 2016, 02:28 PM
I keep forgetting just how good the V1's are, i did use a SR3 for a couple of holes last week felt dirty doing it

Looking forward to giving the new TP's a run

once again ball snob yes, im quick to judge others on there choice of balls

Ferrins
8th January 2016, 02:53 PM
Just bought a carton of Srixon AD333 to lose at Barnbougle.

goughy
8th January 2016, 02:57 PM
Has anyone on here actually used a range ball to play 18 holes? I often think how good I hit it at the range and how bad I hit it on course :)
Yep. Andylo, I think the first time I met him. It was at Horton Park and I can't remember if they were yellow range balls or white ones with red markings on them. Not be either, they were second hand!

990B Luva
9th January 2016, 10:59 PM
I use the variety of premium balls that I like from each manufacturer. To be completely honest, at my level, I don't see too much difference from brand to brand, which is why I find it amusing when mid to high cappers say that one ball is longer than another, etc. Spin around and into greens is the only real discernible difference for me.Each round starts with a new pill. Half of this. I can't pick a distance difference, a Spin difference or a feel difference. Last time I played, I was using TM TPX. This was simply because out of Pro-V1/X/B330 range/TM they provided the best durability for me. New ball every Como round, however, I haven't played one of those since September 2014.

Johnny Canuck
9th January 2016, 11:08 PM
Half of this. I can't pick a distance difference, a Spin difference or a feel difference. Last time I played, I was using TM TPX. This was simply because out of Pro-V1/X/B330 range/TM they provided the best durability for me. New ball every Como round, however, I haven't played one of those since September 2014.

Como. Apple's autocorrect answer to comp.

990B Luva
10th January 2016, 12:52 PM
Como. Apple's autocorrect answer to comp. Yep, autocorrect got me there.

Matt 3 Jab
10th January 2016, 09:04 PM
Cally Chrome soft. Guess its a grade under the premium ball category but seems to go well and spin well.

Used to play Prov1x and havent found a TM ball that i really like.

Z stars were my fav but found they spun a bit much

backintheswing
10th January 2016, 09:11 PM
Cally Chrome soft. Guess its a grade under the premium ball category but seems to go well and spin well.

Used to play Prov1x and havent found a TM ball that i really like.

Z stars were my fav but found they spun a bit much

Have you tried a plain B330?

Matt 3 Jab
10th January 2016, 09:12 PM
No, never used it. Whats it like?

Edit: Should add that i like a softer feeling ball, hence the chrome soft

backintheswing
10th January 2016, 09:18 PM
Soft feeling but not high spin. Will suit you I think.

Matt 3 Jab
10th January 2016, 09:19 PM
Soft feeling but not high spin. Will suit you I think.

Thanks mate. I'll have a look out for them to test!

backintheswing
10th January 2016, 09:19 PM
Just don't get the b330-S.

LoveGolf2012
10th January 2016, 09:57 PM
Just don't get the b330-S.

That's the blue box yeah Ash?If so,I like the feel of those off both driver and irons.Currently using a Pro V1

backintheswing
10th January 2016, 09:59 PM
That's the blue box yeah Ash?If so,I like the feel of those off both driver and irons.Currently using a Pro V1

Yep pretty sure it's blue. Both great balls, I alternate between the two. Matt just mentioned he wanted low spin so I steered him to the b330.

LoveGolf2012
10th January 2016, 10:01 PM
Yep pretty sure it's blue. Both great balls, I alternate between the two. Matt just mentioned he wanted low spin so I steered him to the b330.

Yeah for sure mate,you think the B330 does spin a lot less?I might try that myself,I want those long bullets,maybe they go like a Pro V1X off driver?

Johnny Canuck
11th January 2016, 12:55 AM
Yep, autocorrect got me there.

Annoys me on that word quite often. Going to add "comp" to the dictionary

Johnny Canuck
11th January 2016, 12:56 AM

That's where I ended up when I wanted a premo low spinner a few years back.

Ferrins
11th January 2016, 12:12 PM
Just bought a doz Srixon AD333 2015 for $19 at Drummonds and really like them.

Yossarian
11th January 2016, 12:24 PM
Indeed.

FuzzyJuzzy
11th January 2016, 06:06 PM
I'm a ball snob, but only because MTB's prices allow me to be:). But in saying that, I could pretty easily get away with using NXT Tours instead of Pro V1s. Mostly of late I've been using NXT Tour S, Z-Stars and TM TPs. Nike's premium balls are decent, not too fond of Callaway balls.
I used to use those TriSpeed Tours - used to be able to pick them up new for $19 a box at GCO. Awesome ball at that price.

Peppas
11th January 2016, 06:20 PM
I use any ball. When you're bouncing them off about 4 trees per hole, I don't see a difference.

BrisVegas
15th January 2016, 09:19 PM
yes.

Ferrins
15th January 2016, 09:50 PM
Dion, your alive!

Ferrins
15th January 2016, 10:31 PM
Dion, your alive!

Icestorm959
16th January 2016, 11:55 AM
Just bought a dozen tour preferred for $35. Gonna give them a try!

Ferrins
16th January 2016, 12:23 PM
Just bought another 3 dozen Srixon AD333