PDA

View Full Version : Magenta Shores

Golfgirl
3rd May 2006, 12:21 PM
I drove by the new Magenta Shores course (still under development) on the NSW Central Coast last week, and stopped to take a look.

This is going to be a fantastic course, and already looks as difficult as hell with plenty of free form bunkers and lots of undulation.

Can't wait to see this one finished!!

Fishman Dan
3rd May 2006, 01:34 PM
NSW Stroke Round 4?

Golfgirl
3rd May 2006, 02:16 PM
...as the late Big Kev used to say...."we're excited".

When is the expected completion date? It looks almost done?

Grunt
3rd May 2006, 02:37 PM
NSW Stroke Round 4?

Why not a new, unplayed course would be great :-D

Jono
11th November 2006, 08:08 PM
Played at Magenta today with TS and a couple of his mates. Great course but still has some maturing to do. They've turned the first hole into a temporary par 3 because of the ongoing work on the adjacent practice area. The fairways were a bit patchy at places but much better than the back nine at Kooindah.

Lots of undulations on the fairways, not all of which looked that natural. Bunkers and the thick rough were the main obstacles and no water hazards that I saw. Few blind tee shots were I thought I hit a good drive only to find my ball in the rough. 17th is the obvious one ... Standing on the tee, you think hitting over a hump of rough will put you in the middle of the fairway. Two of my partners hit what looked like pull hooks into the left rough and we found their balls on the RIGHT side of the fairway. I thought I hit mine dead center and I was in the deep stuff to the right.

In terms to good holes, I think 13th is a great short par 4 at 334 meters. You hit up towards a plateau at around 200 meters and from there it's all downhill to the green which is well protected by a huge bunker short/right. Percentage play would be to hit a long iron to the top of the plateau and have a short iron in. Downwind, big hitters will be able to get close to the green with their drives.

18th is a good finishing par 5 at 550 meters. It probably plays a bit shorter than that since it downhill from the landing area for the drives to the green. Good drive over the left side bunker (about 230 meter carry) and then a layup short of the second set of fairway bunkers will leave you an each pitch in.

If you get a chance to play this course, I think it's worth the drive up. Take plenty of balls though ... :lol:

Oh .. almost forgot. The bunkers ... To me, they didn't look natural. They looked "pseudo-natural", if you know what I mean.

Grunt
13th November 2006, 07:15 PM
Well just got a email with a discounted Travel Industry staff price for Accom at Magenta Shores $169 a night. Does anyone know what the green fees are for guests at the resort?

Fishman Dan
10th December 2006, 09:23 PM
I'm the next to experience Magenta. What a cracker of a course. Absolutely loved it in a solid 2.5 club nor-easter.

I was lucky to play it on a day where they have recently cut 90% of the fescue grass on the course. This meant errant balls could be found, and even played out of the rough. It wasn't any picnic however.

My playing partner was pretty keen for a windy one. The journey up the freeway didn't look too blustery, but as we came in via Toukley we noticed the wind picking up the closer we got to the coast. Once we got a view of Lake Munmorah we knew what we were in for - solid white-caps. I don't think he bargained for it to be this windy!

The bunkering is a feature. Certain trouble if you're in them, but in great condition and getting out wasn't a problem - if you picked the right shot. Our group of 3 lost a total of 5 balls (one to the fescue, few went OB, one into a construction zone).

I'm not going to go into my own hole-by-hole, but as we all get to play it it will be interesting to hear some other views. I found the fairways tight, but not too claustrophobic until you get to the 12th, where it gets a little more sheltered by trees.

My own view is that choppers won't have a great day out here unless they keep the wild grass short like it was today (which isn't likely for obvious reasons). I couldn't tell you a favourite hole, but the par 3 4th where it's about 160m (from the whites) into a grandstand green is a gem. The 17th and 18th are also good closing holes - we were lucky to play them with the wind today.

I'd like to play the course 2 more times soon: once in calm conditions, and once in a southerly - to play the opposite of today while being utterly uncomfortable with the cold!